Thread: 2008 NY Baseball

2008 NY Baseball

STINKS. Both teams IMO will have makeovers in the offseason. More so the Mets then the yankees IMO.

mets bullpen is killin them, they seem to be doing just fine offensively even though they have super subs at 2 or 3 positions and the startin pitching has been about as good as you can ask for

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    STINKS. Both teams IMO will have makeovers in the offseason. More so the Mets then the yankees IMO.
    That may be because the Yankees can and actually have developed a nice farm system. The Mets hasn't been awful but thinned out recently and already was more middle of group to begin.

Mets have one issue right now and that is the bullpen.
    2 games back is no time to jump off the bandwagon AGAIN.

Let's give Manual and Omar a chance to try and resolve the pen issue with 6 weeks still left to play before jumping ship.

As for overhaul, that all depends on the Perez/Delgado/Church situations.
    If we pick up the Delgado option and sign Perez we basically only need a outfielder, some bull pen guys and a 5th starter. I don't consider that a major overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsjim View Post
    That may be because the Yankees can and actually have developed a nice farm system. The Mets hasn't been awful but thinned out recently and already was more middle of group to begin.
    Other then Joba Chamberlain, I haven't seen one Yankee farm system player do anything this year.

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Mets have one issue right now and that is the bullpen.
    2 games back is no time to jump off the bandwagon AGAIN.

Let's give Manual and Omar a chance to try and resolve the pen issue with 6 weeks still left to play before jumping ship.

As for overhaul, that all depends on the Perez/Delgado/Church situations.
    If we pick up the Delgado option and sign Perez we basically only need a outfielder, some bull pen guys and a 5th starter. I don't consider that a major overhaul.
    We've blown 20 ****ING SAVES this year. 20 saves.

Other then Joba Chamberlain, I haven't seen one Yankee farm system player do anything this year.

LOL....Franseca just said the same thing.

As to the Mets blown saves, I think post roids and amphetamines era you can never tell what you will get out of your pen year to year or even month to month. Coming into the season I don't think anyone had a issue with our pen other than Billy in a big spot. Omar and Manuel now are faced with the daunting task of fixing it ASAP while we are still only 2 back.

If our pen had performed up to par we would be comfortably in 1st place.
    It is a shame that is not the case.

That said I won't give up on a team 8 games out in August let alone 2.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL....Franseca just said the same thing.

As to the Mets blown saves, I think post roids and amphetamines era you can never tell what you will get out of your pen year to year or even month to month. Coming into the season I don't think anyone had a issue with our pen other than Billy in a big spot. Omar and Manuel now are faced with the daunting task of fixing it ASAP while we are still only 2 back.

If our pen had performed up to par we would be comfortably in 1st place.
    It is a shame that is not the case.

That said I won't give up on a team 8 games out in August let alone 2.
    Francessa didn't know who Joba Chamberlain was until after he was called up by the Yankees last year. And I'm going to respect his opinion about our minor league system?

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Francessa didn't know who Joba Chamberlain was until after he was called up by the Yankees last year. And I'm going to respect his opinion about our minor league system?
    I don't think the comment was about the guys still down on the farm, but the ones who have been called up to the bigs already.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHector View Post
    I don't think the comment was about the guys still down on the farm, but the ones who have been called up to the bigs already.
    Either way, the day I respect that guy's opinion is the day hell freezes over.

As for that, Joba was great, Kennedy bombed, Hughes got hurt, and Robertson showed flashes of brilliance. So I'm not sure what he's trying to say, nor do I care.

Rivera, Chamberlain, Cano, Pettitte, Wang, Jeter, Posada, Robertson, Veras

If you meant recent.. than be more specific.

Coming into the season the only prospects I felt where going to be on the big team at some point or another where obviously Joba (hurt), Hughes (hurt) and Kennedy (ughh). Other than that I felt the bullpen arms where a year a way (Melancon, Cox, Robertson) Obviously Robertson flew through the system. Other than them I felt Gardner could get a call up if Melky sucked.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-12-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

Coming into the season the only prospects I felt where going to be on the big team at some point or another where obviously Joba (hurt), Hughes (hurt) and Kennedy (ughh). Other than that I felt the bullpen arms where a year a way (Melancon, Cox, Robertson) Obviously Robertson flew through the system. Other than them I felt Gardner could get a call up if Melky sucked.

Actually the poster and Franseca were talking about this years call-ups but you knew that already. Hopefully just growing pains but Hughes should be sucked/hurt. Robertson has been terrible...same for Ohlendorf, Gardner, Kennedy,Rasner. "Elite" pen guys Ramirez and Veras have gone backwards of late as well

There's is nothing wrong with that as early struggles are to be expected.
    Franseca's point which I agree with, was that the Yanks and their fans(especially) acted like they were full of can't miss players down on the farm and how dare anyone suggest trading them.

Flashes of brilliance Robertson has a ERA of 6.75 and a 1.56 WHIP.
    Last edited by chad101; 08-12-2008 at 07:22 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Actually the poster and Franseca were talking about this years call-ups but you knew that already. Hopefully just growing pains but Hughes should be sucked/hurt. Robertson has been terrible...same for Ohlendorf, Gardner, Kennedy,Rasner. "Elite" pen guys Ramirez and Veras have gone backwards of late as well

There's is nothing wrong with that as early struggles are to be expected.
    Franseca's point which I agree with, was that the Yanks and their fans(especially) acted like they were full of can't miss players down on the farm and how dare anyone suggest trading them.

Flashes of brilliance Robertson has a ERA of 6.75 and a 1.56 WHIP.
    Have you watched Robertson pitch at all? Do you know what flashes are? Do you understand that when you only have pitched in 15 games, 3 bad ones can inflate your numbers?

So lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Have you watched Robertson pitch at all? Do you know what flashes are? Do you understand that when you only have pitched in 15 games, 3 bad ones can inflate your numbers?

So lame.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

lol. you sob, you know what I meant.

I've said in the past on this forum, I love Phillip Hughes but he's been injury prone in his early young career and we haven't seen the explosive fastball he was said to have. He was EXCELLENT in the 2007 playoffs but after all these injuries and what he showed early this season, will he ever be that pitcher?

Robertson has had some good moments but his FB isn't as hard as it's said to be. According to fangraphs it's under 91 MPH but when it's not located, it's not fast enough to make mistakes. Also he needs to develop that changeup, he has thrown it less then 3% of the time.

I'm interested in seeing Melancon though.

I've said in the past on this forum, I love Phillip Hughes but he's been injury prone in his early young career and we haven't seen the explosive fastball he was said to have. He was EXCELLENT in the 2007 playoffs but after all these injuries and what he showed early this season, will he ever be that pitcher?

Robertson has had some good moments but his FB isn't as hard as it's said to be. According to fangraphs it's under 91 MPH but when it's not located, it's not fast enough to make mistakes. Also he needs to develop that changeup, he has thrown it less then 3% of the time.

Hughes is still very young, as you know, I have a lot of faith in him. Probably see him in the next week or 2.

Robertson is adjusting to a new league. His fastball is more than good enough for a 7th inning guy. With EVERY young pitcher and real estate, it's always LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. He's got a great breaking ball. In the end I see him being a solid arm in the pen.

Mets in 1st place by a game as Mr. Torre's Dodgers sweep the Phillies.

5.2 Innings over two games is a bit of a limited sample size.