Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phi Hughes rehab starts

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil Hughes rehab starts

7/29
    3.0 Ip, 2 H, 0 R, 0 Er, 1 Bb, 1 K, 0 Hr

8/2
    3.2 Ip- 1 H, 0 R, 0 Er, 1 Bb, 5 K, 0 Hr

8/8
    4.2 Ip- 3 H, 1 R, 1 Er, 2 Bb, 2 K, 0 Hr

And Tonight's Start
    5.1 Ip- 3 H, 0 R, 0 Er, 1 Bb, 4 K, 0 Hr (Gave up a walk in his final inning)
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-12-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hughes threw 84 pitches, so he should be good for 90-95. I'd give him 1 more start in AAA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Hughes threw 84 pitches, so he should be good for 90-95. I'd give him 1 more start in AAA.
    UPDATE, 9:23 p.m.: Hughes is finished. 5.1 3 2 2 1 4. 84/50. He left with a 2-0 lead with two runners on base, having reached his pitch count. Mark Melancon then allowed two hits, leaving Hughes charged with two runs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadLover View Post
    UPDATE, 9:23 p.m.: Hughes is finished. 5.1 3 2 2 1 4. 84/50. He left with a 2-0 lead with two runners on base, having reached his pitch count. Mark Melancon then allowed two hits, leaving Hughes charged with two runs.
    BOOOO!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those are some encouraging lines. Looking forward to seeing him get another shot at the big leagues very soon.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just read an article yesterday that said he should be back with the Yankees by August 23rd

I'll try to find a link..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    New York Yankees' Hughes looks like a different pitcher, according to catcher Moeller
    by Ed Price/The Star-Ledger
    Wednesday August 13, 2008, 8:05 PM

NOTEBOOK

MINNEAPOLIS -- Phil Hughes is "a whole different pitcher than he was earlier in the year," catcher Chad Moeller said.

Unless he is needed in Giese's spot Tuesday, Hughes will make at least one more minor-league start before rejoining the Yankees.

Moeller, who caught Hughes on Tuesday for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, said the difference comes from increased velocity and a cut fastball that Hughes has added to his repertoire.

"He has a brand-new pitch that he didn't have before," Moeller said Wednesday by phone, "and it's good. He controls it very well. It's going to be a good pitch for him."

Hughes, scheduled to pitch Sunday for Scranton, could slot into the Yankees rotation Aug. 23 at Baltimore.

He pitched 5 1/3 innings Tuesday and was charged with two runs, both of which scored after he left the game because he had reached his pitch limit.

"He was excellent," Moeller said. "There was no way they were getting any runs (off him) the way he was throwing the ball."

In six starts for the Yankees this year after opening the season in the rotation, Hughes was 0-4 with a 9.00 ERA and then went on the disabled list with a fractured rib.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesQB718 View Post
    New York Yankees' Hughes looks like a different pitcher, according to catcher Moeller
    by Ed Price/The Star-Ledger
    Wednesday August 13, 2008, 8:05 PM

NOTEBOOK

MINNEAPOLIS -- Phil Hughes is "a whole different pitcher than he was earlier in the year," catcher Chad Moeller said.

Unless he is needed in Giese's spot Tuesday, Hughes will make at least one more minor-league start before rejoining the Yankees.

Moeller, who caught Hughes on Tuesday for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, said the difference comes from increased velocity and a cut fastball that Hughes has added to his repertoire.

"He has a brand-new pitch that he didn't have before," Moeller said Wednesday by phone, "and it's good. He controls it very well. It's going to be a good pitch for him."

Hughes, scheduled to pitch Sunday for Scranton, could slot into the Yankees rotation Aug. 23 at Baltimore.

He pitched 5 1/3 innings Tuesday and was charged with two runs, both of which scored after he left the game because he had reached his pitch limit.

"He was excellent," Moeller said. "There was no way they were getting any runs (off him) the way he was throwing the ball."

In six starts for the Yankees this year after opening the season in the rotation, Hughes was 0-4 with a 9.00 ERA and then went on the disabled list with a fractured rib.
    That brand new pitch is a cutter. He dropped the slider. He's now a

Fastball, curve, cutter, change pitcher

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is one of the reasons why I hate excessive rehab outings....so Hughes is pitching well, his stuff is there, hes able to go deep enough into the games, so why the hell isn't he pitching in the big leagues? Having Hughes for 90 pitches is a better option then having Rasner pitch, and Hughes is just as likely to have a setback in the minors as he is in the majors so don't give me that excuse. There's no increased injury risk by having him do his work on a bigger stage.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    This is one of the reasons why I hate excessive rehab outings....so Hughes is pitching well, his stuff is there, hes able to go deep enough into the games, so why the hell isn't he pitching in the big leagues? Having Hughes for 90 pitches is a better option then having Rasner pitch, and Hughes is just as likely to have a setback in the minors as he is in the majors so don't give me that excuse. There's no increased injury risk by having him do his work on a bigger stage.
    S
    They are building up his arm.... he hasn't thrown 90 pitches yet. They are working him up like it was spring training.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    S
    They are building up his arm.... he hasn't thrown 90 pitches yet. They are working him up like it was spring training.
    When I said 90 pitches, it was more his projected pitch count for his next outing.

If he's healthy enough to throw 90 pitches his next time out, it should be for the big league club in my mind. There's no difference between 90 pitches in the minors and 90 pitches in the majors, except that you can actually help the big league club in the process.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    When I said 90 pitches, it was more his projected pitch count for his next outing.

If he's healthy enough to throw 90 pitches his next time out, it should be for the big league club in my mind. There's no difference between 90 pitches in the minors and 90 pitches in the majors, except that you can actually help the big league club in the process.
    Well, that I agree with, but maybe they want to give him one more rehab start. In spring training you often see a pitcher's last 2 outings go 85 pitches, 75 pitches, and than a 90-95 pitch outing in his season debut.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Phil starts tonight again for Scranton.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another strong start by Kershaw today. That makes 5 in a row for the 20 yr old.

Hopefully a healthy Hughes will duplicate that this year or next.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Another strong start by Kershaw today. That makes 5 in a row for the 20 yr old.

Hopefully a healthy Hughes will duplicate that this year or next.
    Not a great start from Hughes tonight, thus far...

3 IP- 5 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 K

Disappointed to see him get ahead of so many guys and not be able to put them away. I wonder if his breaking stuff isn't working tonight.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-17-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Disappointed to see him get ahead of so many guys and not be able to put them away. I wonder if his breaking stuff isn't working tonight.
    Good too see that he's not walking people, at least...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

That's still a far cry from April.....throw a couple of donuts on the board and that line will be fine. Zero walks is the key..... The hits could simply mean he is working on a certain pitch today........same as any pitcher in spring training.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    That's still a far cry from April.....throw a couple of donuts on the board and that line will be fine. Zero walks is the key..... The hits could simply mean he is working on a certain pitch today........same as any pitcher in spring training.
    Another rough inning. He obviously doesn't have it today.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hughes is done. He clearly didn't have it tonight.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hughes is done. He clearly didn't have it tonight.
    What was his final line? Did he go into the 6th?