Thread: Islanders Name Scott Gordon Head Coach

Islanders Name Scott Gordon Head Coach

http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=379621

Gordon Named Head Coach Reigning AHL Coach of the Year to Lead Islanders New York Islanders Aug 12, 2008, 8:11 PM EDT Gordon Press Conference
    Live Coverage on Islanders TV
    1 pm on Wednesday

Scott Gordon
    New York Islanders General Manager Garth Snow has named Scott Gordon the team's head coach. Gordon, the reigning American Hockey League Coach of the Year with the Providence Bruins, is the 14th head coach in franchise history. He has agreed to a multi-year contract with the Islanders.

"Scott has been one of the top up-and-coming coaches in hockey and with good reason," said Snow. "Through his work in the minor leagues and most recently with Providence over the last eight years, he has gained an impeccable reputation. The entire Islanders organization looks forward to working with Scott."

"Garth has given me an unbelievable opportunity to coach in the NHL with the Islanders,” said Gordon. “From my time coaching in Providence, I’ve seen firsthand the talented young players in this organization. I look at the direction and the vision for this team and see a bright future.”

Last season, the 45-year old Gordon led Providence to an AHL-best record of 55-18-3, while ranking second in the league in goals scored and seventh in fewest goals against. After spending two full seasons as an assistant coach for Providence, Gordon was promoted to head coach in his third season for the final nine games of the 2002-03 regular season and playoffs. Gordon then spent the next five seasons as the head coach of Providence, leading the team to a record of 221-141-20-27 (W-L-T-OT/SOL).

Gordon began his coaching career with the International Hockey League's Atlanta Knights from 1994-96 and then spent two seasons with the IHL's Quebec Rafales from 1996-98. When Gordon was named the Head Coach of the Knights on January 5, 1996, he became the youngest Head Coach in the league's 53-year history at 32 years of age. Gordon also went on to coach the Roanoke Express of the ECHL where he led the club to consecutive first-place finishes in the Northeast Division from 1998-99 to 1999-2000.

A Brockton, Massachusetts native, Gordon began his hockey career as a goaltender. He attended Boston College from 1982-86, posting a 64-35-3 record over that span. He backstopped Boston College to an NCAA Frozen Four appearance in 1985 and was named a Hockey East First-Team All-Star in 1986. He helped Boston College finish in first place in the ECAC East Region in 1983-84 before leading them to first place finishes in Hockey East in 1984-85 and 1985-86.

Following the completion of his collegiate career, Gordon began his professional playing career in 1986-87 when he signed with the Quebec Nordiques. Gordon made his NHL debut in 1989-90 with Quebec and played a total of 23 career NHL games, all with the Nordiques. He also holds the distinction of being the first ECHL graduate to play in the NHL. Gordon played on the 1992 United States Olympic team before retiring as a player following the 1993-94 season.

Any thoughts from the Isles fans? I'm curious to hear what you guys think about this move.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Any thoughts from the Isles fans? I'm curious to hear what you guys think about this move.
    I thought Ted Nolan was a great coach and got the best out of his guys. I thought Garth Snow has to go, he's made some bad moves. This guy seems like a good candidate I'd rather a guy like the Ex-Tampa Bay coach who would have brought a good reputation and a fiery attitude but that wouldn't have worked out since Garth Snow doesn't want a coach who thinks that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets4life335 View Post
    I thought Ted Nolan was a great coach and got the best out of his guys. I thought Garth Snow has to go, he's made some bad moves. This guy seems like a good candidate I'd rather a guy like the Ex-Tampa Bay coach who would have brought a good reputation and a fiery attitude but that wouldn't have worked out since Garth Snow doesn't want a coach who thinks that way.
    Yea, Nolan definitely did not deserve to get the boot. Don't know much about this guy so I can't say either way, but I think Tortorella would have probably been a smarter move for you guys.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 08-13-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Yea, Nolan definitely did not deserve to get the boat. Don't know much about this guy so I can't say either way, but I think Tortorella would have probably been a smarter move for you guys.
    Seems like they (Snow and Wanger) want a guy they can control and impose their will.

All League
    You cant fix stupid.

I don't know much about the guy, 'cept he did a pretty good job in the AHL. I thought Nolan didn't deserve the axe, and I think Snow's a moron. Like JOrdy said, I think Snow wants a coach he can tell what to do from behind the curtain. Article in Newsday said "Gordon didn't have any problems with Snow hiring his own asistant coaches". Of course, what else are you going to tell your new boss? "No, I don't like that idea". then it's "OK, youre fired"

Hall Of Fame
    Snow has blown it with Ryan Smyth and Ted Nolan. If this guy doesn't work out its strike three.

All Pro
    They are tanking.

It's so obvious that Tavares or Hedman are looked at by the Islanders as franchise saviors.

Veteran
    What you said BRJ, Isles Blow and Potvin SUCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Seems like they (Snow and Wanger) want a guy they can control and impose their will.
    At the very least, I wont have to hear from you spewing rumors and lies about Ted Nolan :wink:

I cant wait for the rangers to name him as their head coach next season, just to see your reaction.

In all seriousness, I dont know what to say about this move except that I guess it makes sense. If you want to develop your kids, what better way to accomplish this than hiring a guy who has excelled doing such in the minors?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    You cant fix stupid.

I don't know much about the guy, 'cept he did a pretty good job in the AHL. I thought Nolan didn't deserve the axe, and I think Snow's a moron. Like JOrdy said, I think Snow wants a coach he can tell what to do from behind the curtain. Article in Newsday said "Gordon didn't have any problems with Snow hiring his own asistant coaches". Of course, what else are you going to tell your new boss? "No, I don't like that idea". then it's "OK, youre fired"
    What was the story behind the Neil Smith firing last year? Is it Wang that demands control and Smith couldn't accept that scenario?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by mallamalla View Post
    At the very least, I wont have to hear from you spewing rumors and lies about Ted Nolan :wink:

I cant wait for the rangers to name him as their head coach next season, just to see your reaction.

In all seriousness, I dont know what to say about this move except that I guess it makes sense. If you want to develop your kids, what better way to accomplish this than hiring a guy who has excelled doing such in the minors?
    I think we'd see Messier before we'd see Nolan.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    What was the story behind the Neil Smith firing last year? Is it Wang that demands control and Smith couldn't accept that scenario?
    Somethin like that. GM decisions were to be by comittee, not by just one guy.

Who knows. The Isles are certainly not "running" a team the conventional way, fo sho.

Hall Of Fame
    Two or three crappy years and I can see this team being sold. I can hear the eulogy now. The Islanders named their back-up goalie as General Manager and that was the beginning of the end.

These young players better come through, because the rabid Canadian fans in Quebec City or Winnipeg deserve a team.

All League
    Yeah, seems like the Isles are in a constant state of rebuilding.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Somethin like that. GM decisions were to be by comittee, not by just one guy.

Who knows. The Isles are certainly not "running" a team the conventional way, fo sho.
    Neil Smith had his share of "power" strife when he was GM of the Rangers. Keenan wanted to do both jobs and he and Smith butted heads like rams. I'm guessing he was starting to feel deja vu all over again and decided to cut bait.