Thread: Yankees and their issues

Yankees and their issues

I love what Brian Cashman did with his deadline acquisitions but he is getting a lot more credit then he should be at this time and point.

He had the chance to trade Melky Cabrera (.243avg - 8hr - 36rbi - .297obp) and Phil Hughes (9.00era - 0 wins 4 losses - 2.14 whip) for one of the best, if not the best, pitcher in baseball in Johan Santana (2.89 era - 10 wins 7 losses - 1.17whip).

Now I understand this trade was proposed before the start of the season and no one knew these two players on the Yankees would be sucking so badly but common. Melky is and always has been a below average hitter, has mediocre speed, and is a below average defender. Did they keep this guy because he has a rocket of an arm? I hope not.

Sure, Phil Hughes may become the real deal next season or later on in his career but we are talking about acquiring the best pitcher in the last 6 years. If they were so set on Ian Kennedy (which they were) why not make the deal?

Santana/Wang/Pettitte/Mussina/Kennedy and have Joba take Moose's or Kennedy's spot later in the season (obviously I am talking about before the season... I mean no way does Mussina get taken out of the rotation now ).

You put Matsui in left, Damon in Center, Abreu in right, and have Posada and Giambi share the DH status.

If they had made this deal they would have had a scary rotation and would still be able to make the trades or signings they have this year.

C - Pudge / Molina
    1b - Giambi / Sexson
    2b - Cano
    SS - Jeter
    3b - Arod
    RF - Abreu
    C - Damon / Nady
    LF - Nady / Damon

(Or could have made a trade for Griffey or something for Center) and have Nady play LF and Damon DH)

Pitchers:
    Santana
    Mussina
    Pettitte
    Joba
    Ponson

You gotta hold onto your young players but at the same time you can't be scared to deal them. Why not get a sure ballot HOF player who still has years left in the tank then take a chance on two players who have yet to prove themselves?

Melky is NOT a below average defensive player. Anyway, this has been talked about so much that I'll save my energy this time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Beaten to death

Quote Originally Posted by BGS View Post
    I love what Brian Cashman did with his deadline acquisitions but he is getting a lot more credit then he should be at this time and point.

He had the chance to trade Melky Cabrera (.243avg - 8hr - 36rbi - .297obp) and Phil Hughes (9.00era - 0 wins 4 losses - 2.14 whip) for one of the best, if not the best, pitcher in baseball in Johan Santana (2.89 era - 10 wins 7 losses - 1.17whip).

Now I understand this trade was proposed before the start of the season and no one knew these two players on the Yankees would be sucking so badly but common. Melky is and always has been a below average hitter, has mediocre speed, and is a below average defender. Did they keep this guy because he has a rocket of an arm? I hope not.

Sure, Phil Hughes may become the real deal next season or later on in his career but we are talking about acquiring the best pitcher in the last 6 years. If they were so set on Ian Kennedy (which they were) why not make the deal?

Santana/Wang/Pettitte/Mussina/Kennedy and have Joba take Moose's or Kennedy's spot later in the season (obviously I am talking about before the season... I mean no way does Mussina get taken out of the rotation now ).

You put Matsui in left, Damon in Center, Abreu in right, and have Posada and Giambi share the DH status.

If they had made this deal they would have had a scary rotation and would still be able to make the trades or signings they have this year.

C - Pudge / Molina
    1b - Giambi / Sexson
    2b - Cano
    SS - Jeter
    3b - Arod
    RF - Abreu
    C - Damon / Nady
    LF - Nady / Damon

(Or could have made a trade for Griffey or something for Center) and have Nady play LF and Damon DH)

Pitchers:
    Santana
    Mussina
    Pettitte
    Joba
    Ponson

You gotta hold onto your young players but at the same time you can't be scared to deal them. Why not get a sure ballot HOF player who still has years left in the tank then take a chance on two players who have yet to prove themselves?
    I don't know which Melky Cabrera you're talking about but the one that currently plays CF for the NY Yankees was an above .300 hitter in every minor league level...He also clearly has above average speed and is an outstanding defensive CF...

As for Damon in CF...are you kidding me? the guy can't even play LF how the hell is he going to cover all that ground in CF???? Plus his arm is so weak everyone and their mother would be going from first to third on a ground ball up the middle...

Would i have traded Melky and Hughes for Santana? Yes, faster than a New York minute but the Twins wanted Kennedy and or Wang to be thrown in also...Melky and Hughes oddly weren't enough for the Twinkies who ended up trading Santana to the Mets for Gomez and a bag of baseballs...

Anyways hindsight is 20/20 if Cashman and the FO could have foreseen all these injuries and prospects failing so badly then it obviously would have been much easier to make a move...
    Last edited by nyctomjetsfan; 08-13-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Pitching is not this team's problem. Santana on this staff wouldn't have changed a thing. We would be losing 2-0 instead of 5-0 with Santana.

All Pro
    What a great new thread!! How come no one else has ever brought this up??

Good job new guy.

Ooooo Melky has batted above .300 at every minor league level?! SWEET DUDE! When did the minor leagues turn into the major leagues?

You put Matsui in left, Damon in Center, Abreu in right
    You don't care much about defense do you?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BGS View Post
    Ooooo Melky has batted above .300 at every minor league level?! SWEET DUDE! When did the minor leagues turn into the major leagues?
    You don't understand what it means to develop young players. While it might be true that this certain trade would most definitely have helped us at this point, it's still not true that we know that it will be better in the long run.