Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW.. This season just keeps getting worse, COLE GOING TO UCLA

WOW.. This season just keeps getting worse, COLE GOING TO UCLA

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...-over-yankees/

I did not see this coming. Brinksmanship?

So much for being a Yankee fan. Why are we just hearing about this desire to go to college? Boras ploy to get more money?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-14-2008 at 09:16 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...-over-yankees/

I did not see this coming. Brinksmanship?

So much for being a Yankee fan. Why are we just hearing about this desire to go to college? Boras ploy to get more money?
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's just a money grab. Why would he pick college over the Yankees, especially considering he grew up a Yankee fan?

wow it says the kid is a yankee fan also. guess he's thinking long term...never know how a baseball career might pan out......there is no down side to getting a class A education. especially if it's a freebee.

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's just a money grab. Why would he pick college over the Yankees, especially considering he grew up a Yankee fan?

because there's no guarantee of ever becoming a major league player and becoming set for life from it. with an education you are guaranteeing yourself tjhe best chance you can get at having a succesful career in whatever you choose to pursue.

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised of Boras photoshopped that picture of Cole at the 2001 WS himself..

I dunno, obviously anything can happen until the deadline tomorrow, but this kinda stuff just pisses me off. You say you are a die hard Yankee fan, but you than announce you are going to UCLA the night before the deadline, obviously a ploy to up the offer.

Boras has another robot (A-Rod) on his hands.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-14-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon View Post
    because there's no guarantee of ever becoming a major league player and becoming set for life from it. with an education you are guaranteeing yourself tjhe best chance you can get at having a succesful career in whatever you choose to pursue.
    If he actually goes to UCLA he can't enter the draft again for another 3 years, so much can happen in 3 years. Until the deadline passes, I'm not going to believe he has any intensions to go to college. Baseball is different than football, injuries aside, the risk in baseball that he won't develop is far bigger than the risk of a college football player suddenly losing his talent
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-14-2008 at 09:38 PM.

If he actually goes to UCLA he can't enter the draft again for another 3 years, so much can happen in 3 years, until the deadline passes, I'm not going to believe he has any intensions to go to college. Baseball is different than football, injuries aside, the risk in baseball that he won't develop is far bigger than the risk of a college football player suddenly losing his talent

hey i'm not saying it's what i would do. i'd play baseball. i'm just saying if he really is going to college that's the only reason i could come up with for why you would pass up being drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon View Post
    hey i'm not saying it's what i would do. i'd play baseball. i'm just saying if he really is going to college that's the only reason i could come up with for why you would pass up being drafted.
    I don't believe it. This kid never, never, never gave any indications that he was going to college.

Ughh I'm going to bed. Wake me up on September 7th
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-14-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Actually before I go, question for all the fathers on here.

Cole has told the Yankees he will attend college at UCLA because of his father’s wishes.
    UCLA or Yankees with $5+ million signing bonus?

I don't believe it. This kid never, never, never gave any indications that he was going to college.
    It was well known he was going to be a difficult sign.....that's why he fell to you guys. It was believed to be more money reasons then wanting to go to college but i guess it meant more to him then he let on.....

Still, if he doesn't sign, you get yourself a comp pick to make up for it so you can take someone in the draft next year. You lose a year of development on the pick yeah, but not the end of the world.

You can ALWAYS go back to college. You CANT always grab a quick $5+ million.

Boras hands are all over this.

You know what, this report on Cole going to college is meaningless on 8/14... lets see if its true tomorrow night. If the kid is smart and I know Boras is, if you factor time value of money and ability to get to the Bronx, the better deal is take the money now (since the Yanks will pay top 10 $$) Even if he goes #1 three years from now, he won't come out ahead. I wonder if this is a ploy not from a money standpoint upfront, but wanting to have a 40 man roster spot like Brackman, to get his clock rolling quicker for the bigger payday?

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    It was well known he was going to be a difficult sign.....that's why he fell to you guys. It was believed to be more money reasons then wanting to go to college but i guess it meant more to him then he let on.....

Still, if he doesn't sign, you get yourself a comp pick to make up for it so you can take someone in the draft next year. You lose a year of development on the pick yeah, but not the end of the world.
    You remember draft day, I wanted this guy bad (No homo)

I'm calling their bluff. He'll sign tomorrow. This is brinksmanship. I mean why now when there is still time left to negotiate? Obviously because they want to still negotiate.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-14-2008 at 10:06 PM.

All Pro
    Take the money kid, college can wait. God forbid he injures his arm he will regret it forever. Hard to regret taking the money and going to school in a few years if it doesn't work out.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    You can ALWAYS go back to college. You CANT always grab a quick $5+ million.

Boras hands are all over this.
    Yep. 5 million buys you a lot of school books. If I was the Yanks, I'd say screw him. Let him wait 3 years, and get the same draft pick back for next year.

All Pro
    Even if he gets slightly more in 3 years, you take the 5 million now, pay your taxes and your agent, put the money in the bank, and in 3 years you will make a good chunk of extra money just in interest. Plus, you will be much closer to making the majors than if you went to college.

man...if my kid was a first round draft pick i wouldn't be telling him to give that up. that's such a dream come true.

All Pro
    Thats desperate posturing

Maybe his father is a Mets fan?