Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Chamberlain Returns to Pen=Yankees packing it in?

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,658

    Chamberlain Returns to Pen=Yankees packing it in?

    What do you Yankee fans think? If he returns and goes to the pen for the rest of the season do you think that the Yankees are conceding their playoff chances?

    Also would it bother you if that were the case, considering they would be doing it to save his arm.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    2,137
    If they are that concerned I'd prefer they just shut him down entirely.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Posts
    157
    Would rather see him go to the pen, save his arm a little, still be an effective reliever....then he is around next year!!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MJet67 View Post
    Would rather see him go to the pen, save his arm a little, still be an effective reliever....then he is around next year!!

    Only he will be on a innings count next year as will Hughes.

    Year one of the three hyped kids has been a disaster mainly because almost a full season of Major League SP develepmont has been lost.

    Hopefully things go better next season health and performance wise so that2010 gives us a true picture of what these three will be as Major Leaguers.

    For all three pitchers that is somewhat of a unknown right now either due to injury or performance.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Only he will be on a innings count next year as will Hughes.

    Year one of the three hyped kids has been a disaster mainly because almost a full season of Major League SP develepmont has been lost.

    Hopefully things go better next season health and performance wise so that2010 gives us a true picture of what these three will be as Major Leaguers.

    For all three pitchers that is somewhat of a unknown right now either due to injury or performance.
    What has Joba Chamberlain not done to show you he has #2/ ace potential?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    What has Joba Chamberlain not done to show you he has #2/ ace potential?

    Stay healthy. He has shown number 1 stuff.

    My point was next year should have been a no restriction season for he and the other two kids had things went as planned. Now they will be again on a innings limit and like it or not, there is a question of his health. We have no idea if the problem was induced by workload or whatever. As good as he has been a injury is always a question mark moving forward with pitchers.

    As for his stuff???? Top shelf. I didn't mean to imply any different.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Stay healthy. He has shown number 1 stuff.

    My point was next year should have been a no restriction season for he and the other two kids had things went as planned. Now they will be again on a innings limit and like it or not, there is a question of his health. We have no idea if the problem was induced by workload or whatever. As good as he has been a injury is always a question mark moving forward with pitchers.

    As for his stuff???? Top shelf. I didn't mean to imply any different.
    I think your overstating Joba's health concern around one injury.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    I think your overstating Joba's health concern around one injury.
    I don't think you can overlook an injury that has to do with the shoulder. Chances are he'll be fine and I believe he will, but shoulder injuries can be a scary thing.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Island/Tampa
    Posts
    3,469
    IA you just love to get a rise out of Yankees fans huh?

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    IA you just love to get a rise out of Yankees fans huh?
    This post has nothing to do with getting a rise out of Yankee fans. It's a legitimate question. If I were a Yankee fan and my best starting pitcher came back to the bullpen for the remainder of the season I'd be livid.

    Not only because I would think that they are conceding the rest of the season, but I'd also be mad that they are coddeling the guy too much.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    has anyone even mentioned Joba going back to the pen or is this just a hypothetical scenario

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post
    has anyone even mentioned Joba going back to the pen or is this just a hypothetical scenario
    Yanks have discussed but it obviously depends on how he is progressing and the teams status when/if he is ready to rejoin the team this year.




    By GEORGE A. KING III


    Posted: 3:03 am
    August 15, 2008

    Joba Chamberlain begins a throwing program today under the supervision of the Yankees ' training and coaching staffs at Yankee Stadium.

    The two biggest questions surrounding the pitching face of the troubled franchise are: 1) Will the Yankees' place in the standings determine if Chamberlain returns? and 2) If he does come back, will he go back into the bullpen?

    The Yankees have discussed returning Chamberlain to the bullpen to reduce the stress on the right shoulder that was invaded by rotator cuff tendinitis and landed him on the disabled list Aug. 5.

    But what happens if the Yankees are hopelessly buried in the AL East and wild-card races when Chamberlain, who is eligible to come off the DL Wednesday, is ready to pitch? Do they chance further injury in meaningless games in order to get Chamberlain big league innings?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    What do you Yankee fans think? If he returns and goes to the pen for the rest of the season do you think that the Yankees are conceding their playoff chances?

    Also would it bother you if that were the case, considering they would be doing it to save his arm.
    Absolutely not. What it would be saying is they feel that Chamberlain's arm is more important than this Yankee season, and I'm pretty sure that 95% of Yankee fans (if not every Yankee fan) would agree with that.

    So, if they feel that for this season, given his injury, he is at risk to further injure the shoulder by starting, and not by relieving, then of course you have to put him in the pen. Of course, I have no idea if that's true, and given that he has said that once it gets warmed up it feels okay, I definitely am not sure that this would be the case.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    This post has nothing to do with getting a rise out of Yankee fans. It's a legitimate question. If I were a Yankee fan and my best starting pitcher came back to the bullpen for the remainder of the season I'd be livid.

    Not only because I would think that they are conceding the rest of the season, but I'd also be mad that they are coddeling the guy too much.
    If your best starting pitcher, who is 22 years old, has Cy Young potential, and has never thrown more than 120 innings in a season, hurt his shoulder and the organization knew that for the rest of a season (one in which you are 5.5 games out of the WC) he would be at risk by starting but wouldn't be at risk by relieving of re-injuring the shoulder, you would be upset?

    And as much as I want Joba to be the next Mark Prior or Kerry Wood, I'd prefer the Yankees were careful with him.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,658
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    If your best starting pitcher, who is 22 years old, has Cy Young potential, and has never thrown more than 120 innings in a season, hurt his shoulder and the organization knew that for the rest of a season (one in which you are 5.5 games out of the WC) he would be at risk by starting but wouldn't be at risk by relieving of re-injuring the shoulder, you would be upset?

    And as much as I want Joba to be the next Mark Prior or Kerry Wood, I'd prefer the Yankees were careful with him.
    I honestly don't know because I don't follow the Yankees extremely close, but I highly doubt he'll be pitching before they get off this road trip, so that will leave them about 30 games left.

    If he starts every 5th game...I'm sure you can do the math. If he averages 6 innings in those starts, which he hasn't to this point, he'd be at a whopping 125 innings this season.

    Also I can't see how it's any more healthy for an arm to be be bouncing between different rest periods throughout. At some point he has to condition his arm to handle extended work coupled with extended rest, not short work with short rest.

    I'm not saying he has to go out and throw 200 innings this season or next, but if he goes back to the pen you can expect another 120 out of him next year.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    I honestly don't know because I don't follow the Yankees extremely close, but I highly doubt he'll be pitching before they get off this road trip, so that will leave them about 30 games left.

    If he starts every 5th game...I'm sure you can do the math. If he averages 6 innings in those starts, which he hasn't to this point, he'd be at a whopping 125 innings this season.

    Also I can't see how it's any more healthy for an arm to be be bouncing between different rest periods throughout. At some point he has to condition his arm to handle extended work coupled with extended rest, not short work with short rest.

    I'm not saying he has to go out and throw 200 innings this season or next, but if he goes back to the pen you can expect another 120 out of him next year.
    IF he comes back in the pen, it won't be because of the innings. It will be because they think, for this season given that shoulder injury, he is at a much lesser risk of re-injuring it in relief outings rather than in starts.

    I also don't see how it's anymore healthy, nor do I know. But I do think the Yankee organization studies this a lot more than you or I do, so I'd take their word for it. Again, we have no idea if this will happen.

    If he goes back in the pen and ended with 100 innings this year, we would look for 140 next year. Which would be frustrating to say the least. I have no idea how the Yankee organization would handle it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us