Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: US Leads All Countries In Medal Count

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,781

    US Leads All Countries In Medal Count

    OK I am going to have to call MAJOR BS on this one.

    Traditionally the medal table and rankings at the Olympics has been measured not in total medals won but who has more golds and if there is a tie, who has more silvers and so on.

    Now we seem to have a collusion amongst US sporting media to report the medals table with the US in the top spot by virtue of having more total medals despite the fact the China is clearly gapping the US in golds. No America, one bronze does not equal one gold or one silver. What a bunch of cheats.

    ESPN http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/medals
    CBS http://www.sportsline.com/olympics
    FOX http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics

    The rest of the world is still using the traditional (non-cheating) method of tallying scores.

    here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olym...le/default.stm

    and here http://www.globesports.com/beijing2008/#widgetTab

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Dude, WTF?!!?

    The US media has always used the total medal count.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,781
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Dude, WTF?!!?

    The US media has always used the total medal count.
    Let me see if I can find any other country that uses such an odd count.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bethel, CT
    Posts
    11,258
    cheating ?

    nah

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    From L.I. Now Oklahoma
    Posts
    214
    You are not a bright person. Your sources are a Brit and Canadien website.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,781
    Australia.

    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/beijing_olympics/

    Here's an intering one (Australian FOX) hahaha.... being honeds even where it hurts the Aussies

    http://www.foxsports.com.au/

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bethel, CT
    Posts
    11,258
    you can post 100 other nations way of doing it

    what is relevant is how the US reported it in athens

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,317
    Wouldn't the American media be the people tallying the medals. Why would you call the American athletes cheaters? This is a very PatsFanTx-like thread dude....

  9. #9

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,171
    It's not cheating, but he is correct in that a gold should not equal a bronze.

    I remember they used to use some kind of points system, where basically a Gold was 3, a Silver was 2, and a bronze was 1, thereby properly weighting the different medals.

    Winning 15 gold medals is more impressive than winning 20 bronze medals.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bethel, CT
    Posts
    11,258
    dude

    go dig up how the US media did it in athens

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,781
    It is pretty clear that the US is reporting it in a way that is presenting a medals table that makes no sense. A bronze is "worth" as much as a gold??? I have never seen it done that way and the only rationale seems to be so that the US can be shown on top.

    Which is clearly BS. 43 golds to 26 is a huge margin.
    Last edited by EM31; 08-19-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Spellin'

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,781
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise View Post
    dude

    go dig up how the US media did it in athens
    Why dont you. I have shown five different countries all doing it one way. Are you seriously suggesting that one bronze sghould equal one gold?

  14. #14
    Not for nothing but I'm fairly certain this is how the US media's always done it. I remember them doing that all the way back during the Barcelona games.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Wouldn't the American media be the people tallying the medals. Why would you call the American athletes cheaters? This is a very PatsFanTx-like thread dude....
    Please point out where I have accused American athletes of being cheaters otherwise please be more careful about making such accusations.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East Islip, NY
    Posts
    1,968
    The season can't get here fast enough..

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bayonne, NJ
    Posts
    2,911
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    OK I am going to have to call MAJOR BS on this one.

    Traditionally the medal table and rankings at the Olympics has been measured not in total medals won but who has more golds and if there is a tie, who has more silvers and so on.

    Now we seem to have a collusion amongst US sporting media to report the medals table with the US in the top spot by virtue of having more total medals despite the fact the China is clearly gapping the US in golds. No America, one bronze does not equal one gold or one silver. What a bunch of cheats.

    ESPN http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/medals
    CBS http://www.sportsline.com/olympics
    FOX http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics

    The rest of the world is still using the traditional (non-cheating) method of tallying scores.

    here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olym...le/default.stm

    and here http://www.globesports.com/beijing2008/#widgetTab
    The shame of all this is this was not supposed to be what the Olympic Spirit is about. Instead of enjoying the games for their athletic competition and excellence, we have NBC and affiliate netwroks and the press constantly barking about olympic gold and medal counts. Truly insane.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,317
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Please point out where I have accused American athletes of being cheaters otherwise please be more careful about making such accusations.
    In your thread title. It's been edited for accuracy too. You're welcome

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,406
    Is this serious?

    You're really bothered by this?

    When ALL of the media outlets are doing it this way here it doesn't seem to be an anomoly. If only gold medals counted then they wouldn't give out silvers and bronzes.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,781
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Is this serious?

    You're really bothered by this?

    When ALL of the media outlets are doing it this way here it doesn't seem to be an anomoly. If only gold medals counted then they wouldn't give out silvers and bronzes.
    All media outlets in the US are doing it this way because that is the only wierd way of counting that favors the US. Everyone else in the world does it another way. All the same as each other.

    Perhaps we should start giving certificates for the top twenty in each event? Gold stars and such like.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us