Thread: anyone else think K. Long should be fired?

All Pro

anyone else think K. Long should be fired?

at the plate team has been inconsistent at best. This man's job is to get the most out of our hitters, right? he's not...

what say you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Long and Meacham should be gone next year.

Yankees offense was killer last year....Long was the hitting coach.
    I'm not sure what coach would've made a difference. What would any coach have done differently with Giambi, Cano, Cabrera, Arod, Jeter this year?
    Cano don't listen, a coach can't make you effective in clutch moments (Arod), a coach can't keep you from GIDP (Jeter), a coach can't give you talent (Cabrera)

The blame lies at the feet of the players.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    I'm not sure what coach would've made a difference. What would any coach have done differently with Giambi, Cano, Cabrera, Arod, Jeter this year?
    Cano don't listen, a coach can't make you effective in clutch moments (Arod), a coach can't keep you from GIDP (Jeter), a coach can't give you talent (Cabrera)

no doubt but if the coach has nothing to do with their performance than why have one?

Why not?

Player Performance is a huge part of the game obviously, but at the same time it's the job of the coaching staff to properly prepare them to succeed, not just physically but mentally.

If that means trying to get inside A-Rod's head and helping him rid himself of his demons, then do it.

If that means proposing some tweaks to Jeter's swing to keep him from hitting the ball on the ground so much, then do it.

I wouldn't completely absolve the coaching staff of blame. That's not to say they deserve to be fired, but get some of the blame? Of course they should.

The player has to be willing to listen and learn, if not what can the coach do!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    The player has to be willing to listen and learn, if not what can the coach do!
    nothing, but if the players (who you can't fire) are not willing to listen to this guy (not sure that is the case but let's go with it) then shouldn't they (the Yankees) get someone in there who they (the players) will listen 2?
    Last edited by LI2OH; 08-20-2008 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post
    nothing, but if the players (who you can't fire) are not willing to listen to this guy (not sure that is the case but let's go with it) then shouldn't they (the Yankees) get someone in there who they (the players) will listen 2?
    Hard to say. Very few players I hear of credit the teams hitting coach. Many call their Dad's, college coach, minor league Manager etc when in a slump.

So far this is a bland , going through the motions team with questionable managerial moves. That points to Girardi more than any hitting coach.

The Yanks will never act upon that as it would mean admitting replacing Torre with Girardi was possibly a mistake.

As you know, I haven't liked what I have seen from Girardi this year, he's made huge mistakes with in game situations, his constant shuffle of the lineup, especially giving hot bats days off... but you know it's to early. We could also say Girardi took over a ship that was sinking. It took an amazing 2nd half to get in the post season last year, this team isn't much different than the team we seen in the 1st half of the 2007 season.

Assuming this team falls short of the playoffs, I think Long and Meachum are some likely firings. Not that I believe the blame entirely falls on them or that others don't deserve blame, but it realistically could turn out that way. Girardi definitely deserves to get some heat, but obviously he's not getting canned so guys like Long and Meachum will probably take the bullet for him.

No, I don't believe firing the hitting coach does anything, and there's no reason to believe that Kevin Long forgot how to be a hitting coach from last year to this year. But Meachem HAS to go.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    No, I don't believe firing the hitting coach does anything, and there's no reason to believe that Kevin Long forgot how to be a hitting coach from last year to this year. But Meachem HAS to go.
    Big George would disagree. He'd tell you that firing the hitting coach actually puts the hitters on notice: ok, guys, no more excuses. If you fail now, you're the ones that are out if here.

Fear can be a very effective motivating tool.

I'm telling you, if the big guy were at 100% health and running this thing, Long would have been canned mid-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Big George would disagree. He'd tell you that firing the hitting coach actually puts the hitters on notice: ok, guys, no more excuses. If you fail now, you're the ones that are out if here.

I'm telling you, if the big guy were at 100% health and running this thing, Long would have been canned mid-season.
    Not even sure if that's true with Long because they did just give him a 3 year contract at relatively big $$$ for a hitting coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Not even sure if that's true with Long because they did just give him a 3 year contract at relatively big $$$ for a hitting coach.
    That was to keep him away from Torre. Never underestimate an angry George in his heyday. Money is no object.

That was to keep him away from Torre. Never underestimate an angry George in his heyday. Money is no object.
    It was not only to keep him away from Torre though. It was also because they thought very highly of him as a hitting coach.

What do the players have to fear? They've got guaranteed contracts.

Jets Insider VIP
    What do the players have to fear? They've got guaranteed contracts.
    Playing for a team like Pittsburgh, maybe? Where you never have a chance of competing? Or being benched, thus reducing your value when free agency comes around?

This is basic stuff.