Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why/How/or When Did U Become a Jets Fan?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can thank my pops for this! I started really becoming a fan when i was about 10, 1985! Hate to admit it now, but it was #99 that I tried to emmulate, when i was playing pee-wee ball! HA! If i only knew than, but i chalk it up to being a kid. Bleed Green, and that wont ever stop!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I came to New York in 1989 a soccer mad kid from a soccer mad nation. Not speaking a word of english and not understanding WTF was going on on the field. THe first game I watched was the 49ers-Bengals super bowl, I didn't like what I percieved to be sissy boy vibe from Montana and Rice, and I had no intention of rooting for a team that dressed in animal pattern uniforms.

I than saw that this local team called the Jets in the draft, nice unis and they were picking some guy named Blair Thomas before almost every other team in the draft. Why are these guys picking first? Oh well who cares since they were picking this guy before every other team this Blair Thomas guy must be great...riiiiiiiiight.:rolleyes:

Well I'm still glad I picked the Jets, although I have no idea why?:D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My signature below says it all.
    I was a kid, it was the days of the AFC, and it was easy to jump on board.
    No regrets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It began with the 1964 World's Fair....

I saw what a dynamic community NY was and the enthusiasm, love, and generosity
    of New York residents. I was so enthralled with the populous that I began to
    seek out ways that I could support them in all that they could be or want to
    be. This naturally migrated me towards their sports teams which for some
    reason they loved to live vicariously through. Since my family used to root for
    the Giants and I am an unabashed Patriots fan and loathe the Giants, I felt that
    the fledging AFL entry from NY was a natural as they needed as much support
    as they could get from wherever. Thus the NY Titans/Jets received the honor
    of my unyielding and unabashed secondary support for all eternity (whenever
    they aren't playing my beloved Patriots). I get all choked up thinking about
    it to this day. :yes:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Growing up on Long Island, Dad was a Jets fan, I was a Jets fan. We both like the knicks, but for some reason i rooted for the mets and islanders, while he is a yankee and ranger fan.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;2699380] I get all choked up thinking about
    it to this day. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Could ya......choke a little [I]harder[/I]?

;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was a semi Giants fan - then came the Sack Exchange. After the operation and sporting a real man's sack I became a Jets fan.

Montrealjet
    Gastineau & Klecko beating up the Dolphins & Patriots!!!!!!!:D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    terrorist kidnaped my family and told me they would torture them physicaly or me mentaly. I chose the later, what a mistake.
    NAMATH DAY'S FO SHO! No regrets ever!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool thread.

I was born in '72 and my pops is from PR, so he was only interested in baseball & boxing. My older brother (born in '63) was a big Dallas Cowboy fan, so growing up (before the age of 10) I was a Steeler fan.

The reason being that I was one of those younger brothers who always competeted against his older brother rather than follow him blindly. My older brother was one of those who, when we played football or baseball on Intelevision, he wanted to humilate me every game and make me cry. Sooo, I rooted for the team that always kicked the Cowboy's asses when it counted: the Steelers.

By the early 80s, the Cowboys stunk and so did the Steelers. My brother remained a Cowboys fan, but I had no desire to still root for the Steelers. Being an AFC guy, it was natural to start rooting for the Jets (I didn't want to do Giants even with my brother's team being in the same division).

So I rooted for the Jets over the coming years (and also the Bills in the SB because of them going against 3 teams I disliked: Giants, Skins & 'Boys). Of course the Bills made me pay for being a sports polygamist.

I became "die-hard" Jet fan in 1997 when Parcells came. I liked Hess as a person but thought he was a horrible owner, so I did not emotionally invest myself into the team until he got serious about winning.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    im semi retarted:yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crazyeffinjetsfan;2699302]Yup....[B]For me, it was the fu-manchu, fur coat and all the broads....He was like a rock star who could throw a football 70 yards[/B].[/QUOTE]

+1
    I was 9-10 yrs. old ('70-71), I would go to the basement, grab some black electrical tape and, voila(sp), I had sideburns and a Fu.
    Now, ask me about how much it hurt taking that sh*t off!!!! ;)

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    In 1993 I wasn't really a football fan; I wasn't much of a sports fan at all. I was 9 years old; I liked Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters and the WWF.

My dad randomly took me to my first NFL game with my neighbor and his son. November 21, 1993, to be exact. Cincinnati at the Jets. I have such vivid memories from that game: the drive up the stadium, tailgating in the parking lot, my dad buying me a Jets hat before the game, the opening kickoff, Boomer making a bad play and me asking my dad why everyone was booing the home team, the Jets winning 17-12.

I was hooked from that point on, absolutely hooked. Boomer became one of my favorite players simply because he was the first one I got to know. I held on to my ticket stub for so many years, and I still kick myself to this day because I have no idea where it is. I do still have the hat my dad bought for me. Since then I have watched every game that I could with my dad, either at the stadium or at home (obviously not while I was at college).

Yup. I like that story.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    1986. I am in 1st grade. Cried like the baby I was when the browns beat the jets in the playoffs.. that was when i became a true supporter, before that was years of my dad telling me i am going to be a jets fan.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I adopted the Jets at the ripe old age of 8, next to last day of the World's Fair, Saturday night waiting for thr # 7 train we watched what we could from the subway platform. I had heard of the Mets and had already chosen the Yankees as my favorite baseball team, that night I became a Jets fan, the game BTW was NY vs Oakland and it ended in a tie.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I blame my father for the Jets, Mets, Knicks and Islanders.

If it wasnt for me getting accepted into UF, my sports fandom would be complete and utter misery.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool thread.

In the mid eighties I was maybe 6 or 7, there was a neighbor kid who loved the Yankees and Giants. I hated the kid so I had to hate his teams so I searched far and wide (I asked my dad) who I should cheer for. I'll never forget this, with a grin from ear to ear he said "You go for the Mets and Jets with me, you goofy little bastard!" He laughed, gave me a big hug and from then on it was green and white.

The mets won the world series that year... and I'm still waiting for the Jets to make the old man happy.

Good Times.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was 1967 and I was a 10 year old channel surfing. I stumbled upon this football game and I could tell it wasn't the NFL. The game was being played in San Diego and the QB for the NY team had white shoes! WHITE SHOES! How cool was that?!?!?! I was hooked. This was NOT my daddy's league!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of great stories, thanks for sharing them!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I became a Fan when i was about 9 my mom bought me a Jets Football and a Autograph. So i have been a fan 8 years and will be till I die