Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why/How/or When Did U Become a Jets Fan?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure it was the winter of 1980 when I was 9 years old. Met Joe Klecko. Got his autograph and had my picture taken with him. Thought it was the coolest thing ever. I remember how he seemed like a giant to me as a little kid. Before that I had cheered for both the Giants and Jets. After that encounter I was all about the Jets. I still have the picture and autograph.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was a kid I was so into the Yankees and my mom figured she would get me away from every thing Yankees by buying me a Joe Namath jersey and it worked now only to get me away from the Jets. Now its everything Jets!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't into football ever really. I played in HS and wasn't half bad but "hated watching games." I was a big pot head/punk so I thought football was part of the "establishment." Needless to say it didn't help I have Chilean parents who live, eat, breath, die FUTbol and they brainwashed me to believe American Football wasn't a real sport. I started dating a girl my senior year in HS (2000) and her parents instanly adopted me and loved me.

Once I went to college I discovered this game called "Madden". All my boys in college loved it and they were all Giants fans so I used the Cowboys. I became obsessed with the game. When I would visit my GF in the winter break her dad would watch the Jets, and the game started making sense to me from playing Madden. He started explaining it to me more and more and he'd bring me beers and we'd sit and watch the Jets. That's how I started watching and learning to love the Jets and ever since 2000 I've been a fan.

That girl and I broke up 2 1/2 years ago but I still email her dad to talk Jets, kinda funny.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was born in Brooklyn but left to come to Scotland when I was 8.

I was never really into football until HS when I started playing in a flag league. By the time I was on my way to Uni, I had played fully kitted football (QB) as a starter for Scotland & Great Britain but I had never really thought of a team to back.

Once I hit Uni I started watching more football on TV (its always on wicked late here so student time keeping is perfect for football) and figured I would root for the Jets cause I was born in NY. The Giants never really crossed my mind, I think it was the great rivalries we have which made it more intense.

Been paying for it for almost 10 years...

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;2699306]As a seven year old sitting under a blanket at SHea drinking hot chocolate surrounded by whiskey-breathed adults shouting "throw the bomb, Joe!"

My man Boozer dancing between tackles.....[/QUOTE]

Pretty much how it started for me. The older kids told me to watch Sherman Plunkett, because was going to land on somebody and kill him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grew up in a town where all the Jets players would rent houses since it was close to the meadowbrook, very easy to get to hofstra. In fact a Jet player moved into the house we rented rigtht after we left. I was a casual fan and never really got into until I started watching Penny and Coles combining for TD'S in 2002. From then on out its been all dowhill. ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know what's going to be wild? If the Jets win the SB in the next couple of years, there will be Jet bandwagon fans. How crazy would that be?

We have two sets of fans now: (1) the SBIII era fans and (2) the post-SBIII era fans. Both groups can be labelled "long suffering." We have instant fan-cred whenever we mention that we're Jet fans.

To think there'll be front-running fans calling themselves Jet fans if the Jets win the SB. Wild.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was 7 or 8 and they got there asses kicked to the Patriots 56-3. I guess deep down I like to be beat. OOF. 1977 I think.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;2699641]You know what's going to be wild? If the Jets win the SB in the next couple of years, there will be Jet bandwagon fans. How crazy would that be?

We have two sets of fans now: (1) the SBIII era fans and (2) the post-SBIII era fans. Both groups can be labelled "long suffering." We have instant fan-cred whenever we mention that we're Jet fans.

To think there'll be front-running fans calling themselves Jet fans if the Jets win the SB. Wild.[/QUOTE]

And why do I sense if those guys try to come to JI we're just gonna douse them in our years of suffering.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Came to US in 02 and saw Chad and Coles with all the TDs and doing better than Giants.... The team showed promise of going to the Superbowl.... Started rooting for Jets...Whole family is Giants fan and cautioned me of miseries and torture that I am going to face but did listen...no regrets....Hopefuly will see them bounce back and may be a superbowl in next 40 years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ever since Madden 94, I would always pick the Jets for some strange reason, so since then, I've always rooted for the Jets. Then there was the first time I saw the Jets play at the Meadowlands vs the Patriots in Dec of 98. I think that's when my fanhood truly sank in...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    First football game I ever watched was SBIII - Dad rooted for the Colts I took the green team - Mr.Joe Willie is still the coolest person ever:yes:

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;2699641]You know what's going to be wild? If the Jets win the SB in the next couple of years, there will be Jet bandwagon fans. How crazy would that be?

To think there'll be front-running fans calling themselves Jet fans if the Jets win the SB. Wild.[/QUOTE]

That was like in 86 when the Mets won. All of a sudden, there were Mets hats everywhere here in Virginia! Really strange. Kinda pissed me off too, I wanted to ask "Where in the hellhaveya been! :steamin:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    My old man was and is a Giant fan. He's been a Season Ticket Holder for years. For whatever reason, I rooted against him. Was primarily a Cowboy fan at first but always rooted for the Jets as we lived on Long Island and going to Shea was pretty easy....as I reached my teenage years, I realized that being a Cowboy fan was f'n stupid and I dropped them and it became just the Jets for me.

I am now one of the few Jet fans with Giant season tickets. I am very popular amongst my Giant fan friends.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    It all started with Joe Willy, I was young and impressionable and thought he was really cool and he kind of looked like my brother in law. But then I strayed back to my Packers. However, recent events have brought me back to cheering for the Jets. Ok maybe I'm more of a Favre Fan but I'll be cheering my a$$ off just the same.

Just received my Jets Cap and Favre Jersey the other day and I must say I look good in Green & White.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I lost a fiddling contest against the Devil.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 1st game
    1967 Jets 29 Dolphins 7
    Joe Willy throws for 400+ yds
    Hooked!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Came home from church one Sunday ...

in 1973 - I was 9 ... there was a cool lookin' team in green and white playing the San Francisco 49'ers, and the Niners were killing 'em. Then some old, gimpy lookin' quarterback came into the game ... my dad said his name was Joe Namath ... and he led a comeback that ultimately fell just short. A couple weeks later, I saw Joe Namath on the Brady Bunch, and I was hooked.
    I've never lived near New York in my life ... but I love the Jets ... can't help it, I do. Hell, I can't even say I got to enjoy the damn Super Bowl in 1969 ... hey, this year is my 35th anniversary with the J-E-T-S ... just one title before I die ... please, just one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I went to my first game at about 6 years old at Shea, and was at all most all of them untill the last one against the Steelers in 83...It's funny, but the game I remember most was the playoff game loss at Shea against the Chiefs in 69...Jets were like 25 yeards away from winning the game with seconds left. Everybody was going nuts thinking Joe was going to win it with Shea rocking..Bam, interception, and It was all down hill from ther until Walt Micheals took over in 77..That team really should have won 2 Superbowls because they would have killed the Vikings in the SB and would have made that Jet team a dynasty. After that it was Joe with all his injuries, and Hess refusing to keep his players happy by not spending the money on the team except for Namath..

I was a big ABA and Net fan growing up with Dr.J and Louie as their coach..Then lost intrest when they moved to Jersey..Thank god I'm going to have my Nets back, and will spend the money on season tickets for them rather then Give it to Woody...Brooklyn Nets, I cant wait! Jet games in my media room with the NFL TICKET...The next best thing.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been reading in this forum for years. (I used to joust with "The Wiz" back on the "Jet Haters" page).
    This post/question prompted so many memories that I had to register and share.

In the mid 60's when the Jets practiced in Westchester County NY, my dad had friends that had
    several "clambakes" in Yorktown that some of the team attended (mostly defense). I was hooked.
    Hawked a bunch of autographs. Curly Johnson taught me how to punt a football.

A quick roll call of autographs:
    Curly Johnson
    Dee Mackey
    Bake Turner
    Jim Turner
    Gerry Philbin
    Wahoo McDaniel