Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why/How/or When Did U Become a Jets Fan?

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JETranger 206B;2700145]I watched the "Heidi Bowl" on television :steamin:. Don't know why but have been hooked and drinking heavily ever since.[/QUOTE]

I saw it too. Boy was I po'd.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I became a fan in '82 thanks to number 99. I was 11 and was flipping channels and saw Mark sack a QB and started his dance and thought that was the coolest and have been hooked ever since.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I became a fan in 1975 when they were 3-11. I first game I saw was when they lost to Dallas at the end of the season and Riggins became the first Jet to rush for a 1,000 yards in a season. Plus watching Namath throw the ball I thought was so cool.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I go back a ways, much like jetliner. When I was 12 I went to a night game at the Polo Grounds between the Titans and the Oakland Raiders. Became hooked on the Titans and the AFL. Loved to watch the Chargers with Lance Alworth, and loved to listen to Curt Gowdy and Paul Christman broadcast the games on TV. Rooted for the Titans, then the Jets, and then Namath came along. Watched the Super Bowl as a freshman in college with 20 guys in a dorm room, 18 of them rooting hard for the Colts. A good day. Got season tickets in 1978, still have them, don't know what the PSLs will do about that. But I'll be bleeding green whatever.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mainly became a fan because of boomer but the 98 season really pulled me in ... it really looked like we had a good chance winning that game when Rouen's punt got blocked

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sash1;2699109]Me, I became a Jets fan in 1985 at age 8 when I moved to NY from the left coast. In 85, the Giants were the talk of NY (like they've always been), and we were second fiddle. We stunk in the eighties, meanwhile the Giants won the SB in 86 and were in the playoffs consistently. I've always been a fan of the opposite of what/who everybody else likes. I was never a fan of the superstars on the team or the most popular player (my two favorite players when I was younger were Kevin Mitchell and Roberto Kelly). And no it was not because of their sweet jerri curls. Lets hear yours why/who/when did u become a JETS fan?[/QUOTE]

Also at age 8, 1967, walking through Flushing Meadow Park to Shea with my grandfather, who had season tickets.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    1967 Joe Willie everyone around us were Bears fans and I couldn't switch

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a newb . . jumped on the plane just before the start of the 2007 season. I'm kind of a Johnny-Come-Lately to the sports world in general. I never really cared before, but I guess that's what happens when you get old and have a day job.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chirorob;2700397]I had a soccer game that day. I get in the car after the game, put on the radio, and hear the announcer screaming the Jets won 51-45. I was so happy, but so crushed at missing the game.[/QUOTE]

I was in college and in Vegas for that game. My friend and I had a great weekend and we rolled our winnings on that game. We bet on Miami and lost 2 grand. You might as well say we lost 4 grand because at the end of the game the slip is worth zero or 4 grand. That was a hell of a lot of money for college guys.

You can all thank me, because if I bet on the Jets they would have lost.

Practice Squad
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL by way of Brentwood, New York.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Born in Brentwood,Long Island and been bleeding green and white from birth!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sublicon;2701457]I'm a newb . . [B]jumped on the plane just before the start of the 2007 season.[/B] I'm kind of a Johnny-Come-Lately to the sports world in general. I never really cared before, but I guess that's what happens when you get old and have a day job.[/QUOTE]

And look what your first year brought you. 4-12. It makes it easier to improve on at least.:yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We all bit*ch about our team but the JETS have been involved with some of the best and most exciting games in the history of the NFL.
    I'm proud of the fact that Woody has given the greenlight to get quality f/a's and that the team and staff want too win.
    I've bled GREEN since 67 and will do so til the day the grim reaper comes to harvest. GO JETS

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sash1;2699109]Me, I became a Jets fan in 1985 at age 8 when I moved to NY from the left coast. In 85, the Giants were the talk of NY (like they've always been), and we were second fiddle. We stunk in the eighties, meanwhile the Giants won the SB in 86 and were in the playoffs consistently. I've always been a fan of the opposite of what/who everybody else likes. I was never a fan of the superstars on the team or the most popular player (my two favorite players when I was younger were Kevin Mitchell and Roberto Kelly). And no it was not because of their sweet jerri curls. Lets hear yours why/who/when did u become a JETS fan?[/QUOTE]

In my case, I became a Jets fan early in the 1997 season. I hadnt really watched much football before, but I think what drew me to the team was seeing the way Wayne Chrebet played the game. Just by looking at him, you were shocked he was in the NFL, b/c by size alone it looked like he had no business even being in the NFL. He was short, not fast, and not strong, but he had the heart of a lion, he was fearless going over the middle, and he caught pretty much every single pass thrown his way, as if like he had velcrow on his hands. I was a pretty big fan in the 97 season but then 98 came and I have been a diehard fan ever since. Since then, the Jets have been my favorite team in all of professional sports, even though I am also a big fan of the Knicks, Mets, and Rangers.

What drew me to the NFL in general is just the emotion you go through as a fan in a football game. I really never felt much after the Knicks, Rangers and Mets won or lost since there are so many games in the regular season. Ever since I became a Jets fan, the result of every game would affect my mood for the entire week. Its just an unparalleled feeling in following pro sports.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Not A Fan But....................

I took a wrong turn down a dark alley one nite & some game face looking thug came up behind me, shoved a pointed object into my back and said "Root 4 the Jets or die." I've been showing up at tailgates, games and NY Jet charity events ever since.