Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why/How/or When Did U Become a Jets Fan?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Why/How/or When Did U Become a Jets Fan?

Me, I became a Jets fan in 1985 at age 8 when I moved to NY from the left coast. In 85, the Giants were the talk of NY (like they've always been), and we were second fiddle. We stunk in the eighties, meanwhile the Giants won the SB in 86 and were in the playoffs consistently. I've always been a fan of the opposite of what/who everybody else likes. I was never a fan of the superstars on the team or the most popular player (my two favorite players when I was younger were Kevin Mitchell and Roberto Kelly). And no it was not because of their sweet jerri curls. Lets hear yours why/who/when did u become a JETS fan?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It all started with a QB named Joe Namath :yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Half time of the Monday Night Miracle :P

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got a Namath jersey as a kid in the late 60's, thus I suppose I was brainwashed at a young age to root for the green and white jerseys.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    8 years old in that special 98 season

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=simijet;2699143]Got a Namath jersey as a kid in the late 60's, thus I suppose I was brainwashed at a young age to root for the green and white jerseys.[/QUOTE]

Brainwashed by my dad who had tickets since 65, and used to hang in Joe's club. I used to put white shoe polish on my pro Keds playing touch Football on the streets of Queens wanting to be like Joe.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rest of the family were Giants fans, but only casual fans.

I started playing football and chose to be a Jets fan..and converted the rest of the family into die-hards :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    well my pops was a browns fan, and flirted with them in 80s and 90s as a young buck, even rooted for the chargers a bit too. Hell when the browns folded i started following the jags..

but when i seriously started to get into football around 2000 i started to like the Jets, and then one monday... one glorious monday i fell in love with this team.. yes. that miracle monday night i was sold for life.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Broadway Joe !!! i was born in 68 and my mom would say the name Joe Namath when his commercials came on i guess. Then the jets won the Superbowl when i was 1 and i never took off my Green goggles since. I grew up in Norfolk Va. where there were and still are redskins fans Galore everywhere. I had curtains that matched sheets and pillow cases along w/ garbage cans that all were Skins. Me and my older Bro!!! had Redskins uni's W/the helmets too!!! :D
    Now my dad became a Carolina Panther fan when the NfL expanded after being a Redskins fan for years b/c he is from S. Carolina. Thats pretty COOL!!! He thinks Favre looked good against the Redskins the other night bc they show all the SKINS games on TV down in VA.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jet's fandom

I became a fan when I was a kid. This new football league, the American Football League, was getting ready to start up. In as much as it was impossible to get Giant's tix, I decided I would root for the NY Titans! I convinced my father to take me to their first game, a night affair against the then Boston Patriots at the Polo Ground (shades of Babe Parelli). We enjoyed ourselves so much we decided to go to games regularly. As we all know the Titans became the Jets and they moved to Shea Stadium. This worked out better for me since I lived in Queens anyway. In 1966 we decided on season seats and sat mid-field as high in Shea as you could go.
    I still have my season seats , although I share them now with others as I can't make the games. I sat through every home game for the Jets for about fifteen years.

I have seen every player on the team as I have never missed a game going in person or watching on tv. If I cut my arm it bleeds green.:eek:

I don't live my life for posting on this board, but you won't find a fan that is more loyal ( look at some of the crappy seasons I've been through), and can re-live more Jet history than I.

I've got to admit I'm excited about our prospects this year, and can't always claim that excitement existed, but it doesn't matter how we do 'cause there will always be next year.

Final sorry note to Jet management- You will probably kill my season ticket renewal with your PSL plan.Shame you don't show me the loyalty I show you, and Woody doesn't really need the money!:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Dad jumped on the only bandwagon we ever had. It’s been downhill from there.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It started at conception, like the braindead old guy runnning for president said.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Dad was a Jets fan, and when Broadway Joe won the big one he was hooked for life. Sadly for me, I was born into that fandom a short 3 months after the Super Bowl - so 39 years and 4 months later, I'm stilllllllllll waiting.

Maybe someday I can change my sig. :(

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I jumped on the bandwagon in the early 80's, watching the "Sack Exchange" knocking opposing QB's around!!!!

Thought we were all set in 81, until the Mud bowl in Miami..........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't a very bright child and it was easy to spell.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=wellingtonfljet73;2699182]It started at conception, like the braindead old guy runnning for president said.[/QUOTE]

+1

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    my dad had season tickets since around 86-87 and at the ages of 5-8, they were so bad my brother and I used to go to the games and root for whichever team the jets were playing...then as I got older and realized what was going on, the emotional attachment set in for the green and white, and I entered a place we like to call hell....been a die hard Jets Fan ever since.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wesley Walker and Bruce Harper, as much as anything.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=R. Tyme;2699128]It all started with a QB named Joe Namath :yes:[/QUOTE]

Yup....For me, it was the fu-manchu, fur coat and all the broads....He was like a rock star who could throw a football 70 yards.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    As a seven year old sitting under a blanket at SHea drinking hot chocolate surrounded by whiskey-breathed adults shouting "throw the bomb, Joe!"

My man Boozer dancing between tackles.....