Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Daniel Murphy moving forward.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Daniel Murphy moving forward.

Ok for now, the rest of this 2008 season, Murphy is going to play the corner OF and if necessary(hopefully not) he'll play either infield corner position in case of injury.

We know how patient a hitter he is and how he grinds out at bats especially in RBI situations. He's a pure hitter, but a man without a position. Honestly I don't see Castillo going anywhere and he'll likely be our starting second basemen and #2 hitter. It's either of 2 things, Murphy is going to be a super utility player(of,3rd,1st) or first base.

Omar is going to have to make a lot of decisions going forward because I'm loving what I'm seeing from the Murphy/Evans platoon but then Church is coming back and next year possibly Fernando Martinez can be starting in LF.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Ok for now, the rest of this 2008 season, Murphy is going to play the corner OF and if necessary(hopefully not) he'll play either infield corner position in case of injury.

We know how patient a hitter he is and how he grinds out at bats especially in RBI situations. He's a pure hitter, but a man without a position. Honestly I don't see Castillo going anywhere and he'll likely be our starting second basemen and #2 hitter. It's either of 2 things, Murphy is going to be a super utility player(of,3rd,1st) or first base.

Omar is going to have to make a lot of decisions going forward because I'm loving what I'm seeing from the Murphy/Evans platoon but then Church is coming back and next year possibly Fernando Martinez can be starting in LF.
    FMart will NOT be the startin LF come next year...mark it down

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    FMart will NOT be the startin LF come next year...mark it down
    You never know..... We can even throw Mike Carp in the mix as well for the 1B/LF job as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    You never know..... We can even throw Mike Carp in the mix as well for the 1B/LF job as well.
    Fmart, although shows flashes has done nothin to warrant expecting him to step in next year

im on the fence about delgado, i was really against him but he has shut me up

resign delgado i would like to see
    delgado 1b
    reyes 2b
    reyes ss
    wright 3b
    church rf
    beltran cf
    murphy lf
    schneider/castro platoon

if reyes slips up murphy 2b but for the long haul, thats it no switchin

without delgado
    murphy 1b for the long haul no switchin him up later on
    reyes 2b
    reyes ss
    wright 3b
    church rf
    beltran cf
    stop gap till eveans or fmart proves worthy of the job
    schneider/castro platoon

i wanna resign perez

i really really really really like murphy, i dont ever see him being a superstar but a robin ventura maybe john olreud type ceiling

evans im indifferent about and Fmart has not impressed yet but he is still very young

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    Fmart, although shows flashes has done nothin to warrant expecting him to step in next year

im on the fence about delgado, i was really against him but he has shut me up

resign delgado i would like to see
    delgado 1b
    reyes 2b
    reyes ss
    wright 3b
    church rf
    beltran cf
    murphy lf
    schneider/castro platoon

if reyes slips up murphy 2b but for the long haul, thats it no switchin

without delgado
    murphy 1b for the long haul no switchin him up later on
    reyes 2b
    reyes ss
    wright 3b
    church rf
    beltran cf
    stop gap till eveans or fmart proves worthy of the job
    schneider/castro platoon

i wanna resign perez

i really really really really like murphy, i dont ever see him being a superstar but a robin ventura maybe john olreud type ceiling

evans im indifferent about and Fmart has not impressed yet but he is still very young
    Those are two excellent players.

If Murphy wins batting titles, scouts would look so stupid.

BTW never thought Id see re-sign Delgado written down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No Delgado please.

And on Martinez, when you look at his stats during the stretches he's been healthy aside of his April start, he's been phenomenal. His problem is staying healthy. He'll be hot for 2 weeks, go down and it will take him 5 days to rev up the engine again.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember when I was excited about Shane Spencer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I remember when I was excited about Shane Spencer.

Or Melky

Seriously though, lets not get to excited about Murphy. Very small sample size, but he does like he can be a player.

On another note. Absolutey against signing Delgado.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Or Melky

Seriously though, lets not get to excited about Murphy. Very small sample size, but he does like he can be a player.

At least we agree on something aside of being pessimists.

Carlos had an out worldly July but it's time to move on after this season.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or Melky

Melky never excited anyone. I will admit he did open my eyes in April, but I never thought he was anything special. More than a 4th outfielder thought...wrong wrong wrong.

Same here with Giambi... nice season but time to part ways. Let someone else overpay for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to see if Murphy can play 2B, probably not this year, but we have Winter Ball, we have Spring Training. I want to give him a crash course in Second Base and see if he can do it tolerably enough to stick there.
    Even if he's Slightly Below Average Defensively there his Offense should more then make up for it. You can always abort the plan if he's not able to handle it.

The problem I see is you're putting alot of eggs in that one basket then, waiting until ST to make a decision about where Murphy will play. Otherwise then you're stuck with Castillo, or even worse, Argenis Reyes.

With Delgado, I'm leaning towards just picking up his option, but I want to see him for the rest of the year before making any decision. He's slumping a bit now, but even so he doesn't look completely overmatched against Lefties like he was, he's still taking the bad pitches for balls instead of swinging through them, he looks like a different player then in May.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like it or not Delgado's numbers are probably top 10 at the 1B position this year. Unless we are signing Tex, picking up his option is a no brainer.

The guy has played a major part in turning our season around.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Melky never excited anyone. I will admit he did open my eyes in April, but I never thought he was anything special. More than a 4th outfielder thought...wrong wrong wrong.

Same here with Giambi... nice season but time to part ways. Let someone else overpay for him.
    Dude, Melky-Mania was rampant on this board as well as other baseball board. We both know that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, Melky-Mania was rampant on this board as well as other baseball board. We both know that.
    other than April, when he hit 6 homers I believe, no I don't know that.. I never felt he was a superstar player, and I never heard anyone say he was. I obviously felt he was more than a 4th outfielder, but not in the same league as Beltran, Sizemore, Granderson, ect.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'll most likely keep Delgado for another year. Remember guys, it's not resigning him, it's only picking up his option... We'd have to buy him out to get rid of him.