Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Words - CMG

3 Words - CMG

CASHMAN

MUST

GO

Hopefully this is finally the end of the line for that book-keeper masquerading as a GM

I'm more qualified for that Job than this accountant pretending to be a baseball man

That's not to say I'm qualified, I'M NOT, but I'm definitely more qualified than Mr. Revenge of the nerds

For some reason he had the old man fooled, probably because the old man was no longer fully aware, at the top of his game George would have spotted this fraud a mile away, but I'm hoping it won't be nearly as easy to fool Hank & Hal, somebody has to take the hit for this disaster and that somebody should be the biggest con-man since P.T. Barnum

I say its time to dump this snake-oil salesman and get a Real GM

Who's with me on that?
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 08-22-2008 at 04:30 PM.

All Pro
    I'm not on the bus with you yet but I have been leaning in that direction. Yeah I understand he has made the farm leaps and bounds better but every year the team that matters has been getting worse.

All League
    I disagree, I may be in the minority but I think Cashman has us going in the right direction. Look, there are 2 reasons this team is going to miss the playoffs - 1. They haven't hit in the clutch at all 2. Injuries. Cashman could not have foreseen either of those things happening. The farm system has gotten better every year under Cash and the future is bright. Honestly all of these players has either been on the DL this year or are out for the year: A-Rod, Wang, Hughes, Posada, Kennedy, Matsui, Damon, Joba. You simply cannot overcome all that, no matter how high/low your payroll is. And they have had no clutch hitting, none, zilch, zero, nada. No one would have predicted that before the season. From Spring Training this looked like a year where the Yankees may or may not miss the playoffs. One of those transitional seasons. We've made it every year since 1995, as much as I wanna make the playoffs....I am not gonna kill a guy/orgnization for missing it one year out of the last 13. I have full faith in the front office and truly believe CC will be in pinstripes next summer. Plus, we can't possibly have another year with the amount of injuires we have had this year. We will bounce back and be right back into the playoffs and the World Series next season.

Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post

I'm not on the bus with you yet but I have been leaning in that direction. Yeah I understand he has made the farm leaps and bounds better but every year the team that matters has been getting worse.
    ... and don't forget, this guy inherited a dynasty, a team that already won a championship and was well on its way to establishing a dynasty .. he didn't build that team, he inherited it, those pieces were all in place and he darn near had unlimited resources to boot .. he had everything he needed to keep that train on the track

Nobody has ever been handed a more sweetheart deal

When we fired Joe Torre we fired the wrong guy

I've been saying it for years, we have a glorified accountant masquerading as a GM
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 08-22-2008 at 05:28 PM.

All Pro
    Well Ham, you are consistent. When you decide you want something, you go all out.

We Must Get this Guy!!

OR this guy failed. Or this guy is to blame.

Remember, until the last 2 years, George did more of the bad moves than Cash. Also remember, the Yanks were somewhat $$ tied in going after Johan. Many of the players on the roster have had bad, long term contracts, that are only now ending.

If the Yanks sign CC, their staff will be good again. Their pitching staff was not the problem for most of the year, it is their hitting. What would you have done to fix that?

The team needs to be rebuilt, they've been trying to do it on the fly, and this year it hit them. But, they don't lose CMW and Joba, they make the playoffs again.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    ... and don't forget, this guy inherited a dynasty, a team that already won a championship and was well on its way to establishing a dynasty .. he didn't build that team, he inherited it, those pieces were all in place and he darn near had unlimited resources to boot .. he had everything he needed to keep that train on the track

Nobody has ever been handed a more sweetheart deal

When we fired Joe Torre we fired the wrong guy

I've been saying it for years, we have an accountant masquerading as a GM
    This season would have been worse with Torre. Torre ends one reliever's career per season. He never would have trusted the young guys in the pen, and would have burned out someone he did "trust". The honor of earning Joe Torre's trust in the bullpen is a death sentence for your right arm.

A coach can only be in one place for so long before he loses some effectiveness. Torre in LA is better than Torre in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    CASHMAN

MUST

GO

Hopefully this is finally the end of the line for that book-keeper masquerading as a GM

I'm more qualified for that Job than this accountant pretending to be a baseball man

That's not to say I'm qualified, I'M NOT, but I'm definitely more qualified than Mr. Revenge of the nerds

For some reason he had the old man fooled, probably because the old man was no longer fully aware, at the top of his game George would have spotted this fraud a mile away, but I'm hoping it won't be nearly as easy to fool Hank & Hal, somebody has to take the hit for this disaster and that somebody should be the biggest con-man since P.T. Barnum

I say its time to dump this snake-oil salesman and get a Real GM

Who's with me on that?
    Washburn gave up 8 ER in 4.1 his last start.

HAM > CASHMAN

This list of Cashman's mistakes are endless, from releasing Carlos Pena to trading Marte for Enrique Wilson, to all of the absolute flops he signed for the pitching staff {Pavano, Weaver, etc}, especially the pen {Hawkins, Faransworth, etc}

But the mother of all mistakes had to be IGNORING GEORGE when he asked Cashman to claim David Ortiz

Yeah that's right, even George in the beginning stages of Parkinsons, Alzheimers or whatever it is that ails him, knew enough to say hey, I think we should claim that fatman

So you can say how could anyone know Ortiz would turn into a monster, but George wanted to claim him, even not fully aware he wanted to claim David Ortiz, that is a well documented fact, until Brian Cashman nixed the idea

THAT DECISION ALONE shifted the balance of power in the A.L. East

Red Sox are still waiting for their first championship in a hundred years if Cashman doesn't ignore George's advice

... and how's that Johan Santana decision looking now, huh?

Once again, something is amiss when even Hank Steinbrenner knows more about baseball than his so-called GM
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 08-22-2008 at 06:05 PM.

When are Yankee fans going to wake up and realize Theo Epstein has GM'ed circles around Brian Cashman

Its unbelievable the pass this guy gets from Yankee fans

They couldn't wait to run Joe Torre out of town on a rail, but this guy can make one blunder after another, get absolutely schooled by his counterpart in Boston, and still there are Yankee fans who will insist he's a solid GM

I wish I can come back as Brian Cashman in the next life

It's not Cashman's fault that the Yanks can't hit or made the Yanks look like a hospital ward this year.

Even if the Yanks traded for Santana, we might be several games better and then would get killed in the playoffs, IF we even made it.

To borrow a term from Brett Favre, "You can have the most talented team on the field, but if there's no chemistry, you're not going to win many games." And that's one big problem with this team. They love to pile it on when they feel comfortable scoring runs, but any pitcher with good stuff on any particular night can shut them down.

I live in Marlins country and I would bet the farm the Yanks would lose to the Marlins (again) in a short series...and that is disgusting considering their payrolls...Yanks have no heart.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NIGHT STALKER View Post
    It's not Cashman's fault that the Yanks can't hit or made the Yanks look like a hospital ward this year.
    Same was said about Willie Randolf. When talks heated up about him being fired many said exactly what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Same was said about Willie Randolf. When talks heated up about him being fired many said exactly what you are saying.
    Big difference between a guy who works with the team day in and day out and a guy who is behind the scenes. Also it's the GM's job to put together a team, it's the managers job to get the most of out that team. It's not the GM fault that All-star players are not playing up to their and our standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Big difference between a guy who works with the team day in and day out and a guy who is behind the scenes. Also it's the GM's job to put together a team, it's the managers job to get the most of out that team. It's not the GM fault that All-star players are not playing up to their and our standards.

Well the company line when getting rid of Torre was that the post season was a given and that he needed to do more than just get knocked around in the divisional round. At what point does Girardi take the heat for this awful season in which they likely will not even make the play-offs?

BTW, Torre managed the pen just fine 96-2000 and last season with Joba in it to overcome a 14 game deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Well the company line when getting rid of Torre was that the post season was a given and that he needed to do more than just get knocked around in the divisional round. At what point does Girardi take the heat for this awful season in which they likely will not even make the play-offs?

BTW, Torre managed the pen just fine 96-2000 and last season with Joba in it to overcome a 14 game deficit.
    You know where I stand, Girardi has been less than impressive.

You might also remember I was not happy when we let Torre walk.

Cashman by the way gets the credit for Joba in the pen last season. Instead of overpaying for a scrub reliever, it was his plan go in house and turn Joba into a reliever since he was going to reach his innings limit anyways. Torre doesn't get credit for that, he's not stupid... anyone can see how good he was.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-22-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Can't totally agree with this post. Personally, I think the Yankees have other problems besides "Cashman's signings". Cash has made very bad moves. He's also made very good moves. No matter what anyone says the truth is that Cashman has made the right change in PHILOSOPHY to the Yankees. I do believe he will end up going this year or next and my hope is they find a guy who is better at evaluating talent then Cashman has been.

Cash has taken risk on guys who fall in the draft due to injury concerns. There may be some guys who blossom after he's gone and this is why I said he's made the right change in philosophy. I think if we get CC next year our pitching staff will be better but our HITTING is what needs to wake up.

Jeter is falling off
    Jorge is falling off

We have gotten EXCELLENT production out of these positions where it's rare to see huge offensive statistics.

ARod will continue to hit... but needs better protection. The guy has sucked with RISP this year and IMO it's because he's trying to drive the ball out of the park rather then just getting the bat on the ball. Giambi isn't doing any better in that category and yea... who's after ARod? I'd love to see Nady moved up behind ARod.

Who are our outfield offensive producers? Bobby Abreu? He is not having a great year. Johnny Damon? Same thing, not a great year. Nady? Finally one guy that has done a couple of things in the outfield.

If you look at us position by position our hitting has been just... disgusting and in a bad way. Cashmen has made some moves that have helped in this area but for the most part a lot of the roster was built with gun to the head sort of deals. Giambi, Damon are the two that come to mind. I liked the Nady move. I understood the Pudge move. I understood/liked the Abreu move.

To be quite honest I've liked a lot of what Cashman has done but am not blind to his failures. If he was canned this year I'd definitly understand the move but do think he will have one more year to right this ship.

Ham, I honestly think you're nuts on this one. Cashman has put the Yankees in the right direction here. He has, thankfully, decided to rebuild this team by investing heavily in International free agents and in the draft (although this year was a bit of a disaster in the latter department).

I understand the complaints on Cashman. I do. The whole he hasn't gotten good pitchers in here and all that. Well, given that you started this thread, please explain exactly the mistakes he has made and what you would have done instead. And you can't give BS ones like Jaret Wright and Tony Womack given that he had nothing to do with that. Lets not forget that Cashman is the one that wanted Vlad Guerrero instead of Sheff. To me, his biggest mistake was not bringing in Beltran (the biggest mistake for the Yankees in the last 5 years by the way), but I'm pretty sure he was outvoted on that one when it was decided to go after RJ instead of Beltran. Moronic.

Anyways, give me your exact moves that he has screwed up and the ones that he should have made instead. No doubt, there's a few in there, but I'd like to hear them.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    That wasn't my point. Sorry I wasnt more clear.

My point is, sometimes a new broom sweeps better. Coach, front office, whatever. Cash hasnt been terrible but could be upgraded very easily. Im not saying the next guy will go better, im just saying I think at this point it might be time to move on.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 08-23-2008 at 10:59 AM.

All League
    sorry guys but I think watching paint dry is far more exciting than baseball

Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    sorry guys but I think watching paint dry is far more exciting than baseball
    why are you here?