Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Yankees: Who goes? Who Stays? Who comes in?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

2009 Yankees: Who goes? Who Stays? Who comes in?

Obviously 2008 isn't over, but it might as well be....

I haven't thought about it a whole lot, I'll defiantly think about it over weekend but here is a quick run down.

Goes..

Giambi
    Abreu
    Pavano
    I. Rodriguez
    Ponson
    Rasner
    Traber
    Betemit

Stays..

I try and re-sign both Moose and Pettitte.

Comes..

CC Sabathia
    Rocco Baldelli
    Jeremy Affeldt
    Chris Davis (I try and lure this kid away from the Rangers to play 1B, time to use some of those pitchers in our farm system)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LINEUP:
    C. Jorge Posada/Jose Molina
    1B. Chris Davis
    2B. Robinson Cano
    3B. Alex Rodriguez
    SS. Derek Jeter
    LF. Johnny Damon/Bret Gardner
    CF. Rocco Baldelli/Bret Gardner
    RF. Xavier Nady
    DH. Hideki Matsui

ROTATION:
    #1. CC Sabathia
    #2. Chien-Ming Wang
    #3. Joba Chamberlain
    #4. Andy Pettitte
    #5. Mike Mussina

BULLPEN:
    RHP Mariano Rivera
    RHP Phil Hughes
    LHP Dámaso Marté
    RHP Mark Melancon
    RHP Edwar Ramírez
    LHP Jeremy Affeldt
    RHP David Robertson
    RHP José Veras
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-22-2008 at 07:40 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say go out and get Teixera. Get a real 1B; I never want to see Giambi in pinstripes again.

Also, at this rate, Cano will never bat in the #2 spot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rocco Baldelli?
    And you complain about injuries this year. He's shown no ability whatsoever to stay healthy.
    The rest makes sense to me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Rocco Baldelli?
    And you complain about injuries this year. He's shown no ability whatsoever to stay healthy.
    Rocco will be had for change for that very reason. Defiantly worth to bring him into camp. Let him fight it out for the CF job with Gardner and Melky. I bet he wins it easily... this would be no risk all reward.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Rocco will be had for change for that very reason. Defiantly worth to bring him into camp. Let him fight it out for the CF job with Gardner and Melky. I bet he wins it easily... this would be no risk all reward.

Davis is better than anything ofensively in the Yankees system. Texas will not part with him except possibly for Hughes. Yanks have a better shot getting another injury risk in Blalock. Tampa wont help the Yankees on the cheap either. Maybe Pittsburgh comes to the Yanks rescue again with Ryan Doumit and Nate McClouth for more trash.

Hughes will not be in the pen either.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Davis is better than anything ofensively in the Yankees system. Texas will not part with him except possibly for Hughes. Yanks have a better shot getting another injury risk in Blalock. Tampa wont help the Yankees on the cheap either. Maybe Pittsburgh comes to the Yanks rescue again with Ryan Doumit and Nate McClouth for more trash.

Rocco is a FA

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rocco is a FA
    Well have at him then I guess. I would think the Yanks have grown weary of the throw crap at the wall and see what sticks approach. Sure there is possibily of great reward at low cost but you will also need a contingency plan not named Melky or Gardner unless the rest of the line-up is stacked.

Your projected line-up would have 4 injury/age related concerns and will not have Chris Davis.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well have at him then I guess. I would think the Yanks have grown weary of the throw crap at the wall and see what sticks approach. Sure there is possibily of great reward at low cost but you will also need a contingency plan not named Melky or Gardner unless the rest of the line-up is stacked.

Your projected line-up would have 4 injury/age related concerns and will not have Chris Davis.
    Rough draft.

I'm going out.. I'll do some thinking tomorrow after my hang over. Have a good night buddy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's up with an offseason thread with 5 weeks of baseball left?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    cc and texira have to be the biggest targets..i know the angels might entertain the thought of keeping texira but i wonder if mil will spend some cash and keep cc

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    cc and texira have to be the biggest targets..i know the angels might entertain the thought of keeping texira but i wonder if mil will spend some cash and keep cc
    I think it's all but known that CC will be on the open market this offseason. Brewers can try to offer him arbitration which he will gladly decline and they will get their 2 first round picks, if I'm not mistaken.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Sabathia is either going to LA or NY, the Brewers cannot afford him or Sheets for that matter...Tex will be a tough one, the Angles have the money but they also have a lot of contracts expiring and options to pick up...They're currently unwilling to pay K-ROD what he wants so I doubt they would be willing to give Tex that insane contract he is seeking...

The Yankees are going to have to spend a lot of money to lure either one of these guys...Sabathia wants to pitch in the NL and LA is his first choice so he is not going to come at a reasonable price for anyone but the Dodgers...For him to come to the Yankees it will take a Johan Santana type deal...You can Mark up Tex for another 160 million...The Yankees need both of these guys, they have a lot of money coming off the books but i don't see it happening...Landing one of them is a toss up at this point both is highly unlikely...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post
    Sabathia is either going to LA or NY, the Brewers cannot afford him or Sheets for that matter...Tex will be a tough one, the Angles have the money but they also have a lot of contracts expiring and options to pick up...They're currently unwilling to pay K-ROD what he wants so I doubt they would be willing to give Tex that insane contract he is seeking...

The Yankees are going to have to spend a lot of money to lure either one of these guys...Sabathia wants to pitch in the NL and LA is his first choice so he is not going to come at a reasonable price for anyone but the Dodgers...For him to come to the Yankees it will take a Johan Santana type deal...You can Mark up Tex for another 160 million...The Yankees need both of these guys, they have a lot of money coming off the books but i don't see it happening...Landing one of them is a toss up at this point both is highly unlikely...
    LA also has Manny as a FA now, it will be interesting to see how they deal with him. The way he's hitting out there, I don't see them letting him go. He'll get 3-4 years at $20M+ even if he ends out at .300/.380 over the next month or around there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No reason to get rid of Rasner, who you can put back in the minors. Might as well keep Betemit too I think.

I'd make a hard push at Teixiera or Dunn as our offense is a huge problem right now. Just look at what the DBacks have done since they acquired Dunn to see what he can do for a lineup.

Then I'd make a hard push at Sabathia, but he scares the hell out of me.

I'd let Abreu go and collect the picks. I'd let Giambi go too. Moose I'd try to get back on a 1 year deal at big $$$. I have no problem raising his salary to $14-$16M for a 1 year deal. I'd even give an option based on IP's or something along those lines. I'd bring Pettitte back too.

Ideally, you have a rotation of Sabathia, Wang, Moose, Pettitte, and Joba. You have Hughes either in AAA as a starter or in the majors as a long reliever. Joba would be on close watch with his innings and pitch counts, and I'd have no problem skipping him numerous times.

And there's not a chance the Rangers are going to give up Chris Davis unless you give up a lot for him. There's just no reason for them to give him up.

Lastly, given that I hate lefty relievers now, I'd have to think about declining Marte and offering him arbitration if I knew he would be a Group A FA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously 2008 isn't over, but it might as well be....

I haven't thought about it a whole lot, I'll defiantly think about it over weekend but here is a quick run down.

Goes..

Giambi
    Abreu
    Pavano
    I. Rodriguez
    Ponson
    Rasner
    Traber
    Betemit

Stays..

I try and re-sign both Moose and Pettitte.

Comes..

CC Sabathia
    Rocco Baldelli
    Jeremy Affeldt
    Chris Davis (I try and lure this kid away from the Rangers to play 1B, time to use some of those pitchers in our farm system)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LINEUP:
    C. Jorge Posada/Jose Molina
    1B. Chris Davis
    2B. Robinson Cano
    3B. Alex Rodriguez
    SS. Derek Jeter
    LF. Johnny Damon/Bret Gardner
    CF. Rocco Baldelli/Bret Gardner
    RF. Xavier Nady
    DH. Hideki Matsui

ROTATION:
    #1. CC Sabathia
    #2. Chien-Ming Wang
    #3. Joba Chamberlain
    #4. Andy Pettitte
    #5. Mike Mussina

BULLPEN:
    RHP Mariano Rivera
    RHP Phil Hughes
    LHP Dámaso Marté
    RHP Mark Melancon
    RHP Edwar Ramírez
    LHP Jeremy Affeldt
    RHP David Robertson
    RHP José Veras

Very nice post. I like Hughes going to the pen, let him prove himself like Joba. I don't know about keeping both Moose and Pettitte. But I will sign up for your 2009 projection.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Rocco Baldelli?
    If he just stayed healthy, he'd already be an AllStar and an automatic Yankee signing for centerfield.

He would have been made for NY!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds familiar.

Kinda like how the Mets got Santana, yet you always remind us your underrated farm system got you Santana, but our "trash" got Nady and Marte.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds familiar.

Kinda like how the Mets got Santana, yet you always remind us your underrated farm system got you Santana, but our "trash" got Nady and Marte.

Different scenario in that the Mets were competing against one team for Johan and that team missed the boat.

Mets fans readily admit that they stole Santana. Always have, always will. The players still had to have some value though or the Twins could have simply kept Johan and likely be well out in front of the Central race. You on the other hand actually posted that you did not like the deal for Nady and Marte. Explain that one.
    My retort to you questioning the Mets farm system has always been it garnered Johan and Church via trade while producing upper echelon talent in Wright and Reyes. I don't overhype the farm but just state the facts.

Finally, find one baseball GM who would not have had Nady and Marte in individual deals as opposed to both going to the Yankees for players their FO were no longer high on.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Different scenario in that the Mets were competing against one team for Johan and that team missed the boat.

Mets fans readily admit that they stole Santana. Always have, always will. The players still had to have some value though or the Twins could have simply kept Johan and likely be well out in front of the Central race. You on the other hand actually posted that you did not like the deal for Nady and Marte. Explain that one.
    My retort to you questioning the Mets farm system has always been it garnered Johan and Church via trade while producing upper echelon talent in Wright and Reyes. I don't overhype the farm but just state the facts.

Finally, find one baseball GM who would not have had Nady and Marte in individual deals as opposed to both going to the Yankees for players their FO were no longer high on.

Mets where competing with no one.... the Yankees, Sox, Dodgers all dropped out. Which is exactly why you where able to steal him. Call the Nady/Marte trade a steal all you want but Tabata and McCutchen are good prospects, other teams probably didn't put players as good as Tabata on the table. Clearly the Pirates are high on him, and so am I, which is why I didn't love the trade.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-25-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post

Even if the Yankees don't get Sabathia I'd be happy with Sheets IF we also being back Mussina and Pettite.

I agree about Texiera. He's definitely the #1 target for everyday player but he ain't coming cheap. I'd also be happy with the back-up plan of signing Manny, moving Posada to 1B and making Molina the full-time catcher. Molina is a great defensive catcher and he makes all the pitchers better so he more than makes up for the fact that he can't hit.

The Yankees need a true ace and a clutch hitter to bat clean-up. A-Rod is perfect for the 3 spot. If they get those two things they're going to be excellent next season.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 08-26-2008 at 10:00 AM.