Thread: Maine possibly shut down for the rest of the year

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Maine possibly shut down for the rest of the year

Jerry Manuel said the Mets might shut down John Maine for the rest of the season if he doesn't look strong during a throwing session next week.
    Maine has a bone spur in his shoulder, but said after Saturday's start that he planned on pitching through the pain. Management should make the call by Wednesday.

-- Roto

This is good. Like all Met fans, we love Maine but it's clear this year he has regressed in part because of his inability to finish hitters and injuries. Last year it was a hip, this year shoulder. I say, get the surgery. shut him down and be ready for next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. No need to force the guy to play through the pain if he can't give us good innings and get the job done.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mean, he is a warrior, pitching through pain but it comes a point when you aren't maximum effective and he just needs to get 100% healthy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well thankfully I think we have the starting depth to survive the loss of Johnny. Just wish we had the same kind of depth in the bull pen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'll be playing Septemeber 20th in a close race. Brian Stokes will be starting games. Its Brian Lawrence all over again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good and bad news for the Mets. I think Maine could've helped you guys in the pen, seems to have a tough mentality, the type that can make it work in the bullpen. At least now the Mets know to look elsewhere.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    We'll be playing Septemeber 20th in a close race. Brian Stokes will be starting games. Its Brian Lawrence all over again.
    I wonder if Brandon Knight will be back I mean the olympics are over why not.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    I mean, he is a warrior, pitching through pain but it comes a point when you aren't maximum effective and he just needs to get 100% healthy.
    I thought we were done with the Pennington threads?