Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rest in Peace Clancy: 1993-2008

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images

Rest in Peace Clancy: 1993-2008

We had to put to sleep my beloved Westie, Clancy this afternoon. I've had this dog since he was 8 weeks old and he could sit in the palm of my hand.

He was with me before my wife and kids and lived a great life to almost 16 years. He's the only pet my son's have had. Despite slowing down recently, he was in good health until the past few weeks when he started breaking down. The doctors said his kidneys were shutting down and today we had to send him to a better place. My wife and kids got to say goodbye to him and I held him in my arms when the doctor put him to sleep.

He may have only been 24 lbs but he has the heart of a dog four times his size. Never has there been a better and more loyal pet.

We'll miss you incredibly, Dear Friend.

so sorry, Sooth. i went through this with my 11-year old German Shepherd last year.

very tough and heart-breaking decision, but you can take solace in the fact that you're doing the right thing.

Veteran
    My condolences. It is always tough to lose a pet, especially one that has been with you for so long. Remember the good times. And get another one. Man was meant to have dogs as friends.

All Pro
    My sincere condolences. I have two dogs and my 'big boy' Baxter is an 8-year old mutt we rescued that we got the same week my son was born. He is the finest companion I could have ever hoped for for us and I rest easy when I'm on the road knowing he keeps my house and family safe.

We got a puppy this year to give him a sister so he'd train her right while he's still spry enough to do it. Still, I can't even imagine life without him.

You guys will be fine, but I think there's a lot of us who feel for you.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

sorry to hear that and best of luck...

we have a pomeranian who'll be 14 next month- beautiful little dog I adore- great presonality....my wife has had her since she was 8 weeks old and I arrived on the scene two+ years later, so I understand where you're coming from....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 08-24-2008 at 06:58 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    RIP Clancy!

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Sorry to hear that Sean. Losing pets really sucks.

so sorry Sean. You have my sympathy.

Jets Insider VIP
    I honestly think putting a pet to sleep is one of the toughest things to do.

Two years ago, we had to put down our poodle, who was almost 20!

You did the right thing, Sooth, its just tough and if he could thank you, he would.

I'm sorry for your loss. Westies are fantastic dogs. Here is a pic of my ex-girlfriend's westie "Duncan". I stayed with this chick 6 months longer than I wanted to so I could hang out with her dog. RIP Clancy.

Sean, from an avid dog owner to another, my condolences. Only those who have such terriffic pets can truly understand how difficult of a time this can be, especially for the children. I have been in this situation twice (had 2 dogs put down due to cancer), and to this day, playing God with these creatures is just a difficult thing to deal with. Consider yourself lucky to have such a joy for 15 years. My last dog was 17.5 years old and she went peacefully in her sleep. The best thing you can do, believe it or not, is replace him. It will definitely help you cope with the loss as well as revive you and your family. There is nothing like the youthfulness of a new puppy to help your family rid the void of Clancy being not being there. Good luck and stay strong.

-LIDH

My condolences Sooth. Putting down a pet is a very hard thing. My wife has had her Chinese Crested (with hair) since she was 8 weeks old and she's 14 right now. She is doing well but what happened with your dog is what I fear most. Dogs are wonderful creatures who truly only know pure love for their owners. When the time is right definitely look to get a new one knowing there will never be another Clancy. Every dog is different and unique, I had a Shetland Sheepdog for 5 years with my X before we broke up. Through a technicality I lost her to the X and had to part ways with her, That was hard enough and can't imagine how hard it must be to have to make the choice to put them down.

Stay strong brother.

Thumbs up

Sean,
    I lost my best friend (my 12 year old cocker spaniel) about 6 months ago. The hardest week of my life.
    One strong recommendation to you. Go out and by a new one ASAP. Bring the kids along too. I am so happy that I got a new best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post

We had to put to sleep my beloved Westie, Clancy this afternoon. I've had this dog since he was 8 weeks old and he could sit in the palm of my hand.

He was with me before my wife and kids and lived a great life to almost 16 years. He's the only pet my son's have had. Despite slowing down recently, he was in good health until the past few weeks when he started breaking down. The doctors said his kidneys were shutting down and today we had to send him to a better place. My wife and kids got to say goodbye to him and I held him in my arms when the doctor put him to sleep.

He may have only been 24 lbs but he has the heart of a dog four times his size. Never has there been a better and more loyal pet.

My condolences Sean.

My father and step-mother had to put down their 16 year old cocker spaniel Tucker last fall.

He was just an incredible dog.

I taught him to high five whenever the Jets or Yankees scored when he was a puppy and he was still doing so up until the day before he died.

Sorry to hear about the loss of Clancy. Dogs lifespans are much shorterh than they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Sorry to hear that Sean. Losing pets really sucks.
    Sorry, Sean. i've been there, too. More than once. It's not an easy thing to do. But when your pet is suffering, you become its spokesperson, and must make an incredibly difficult decision. i'm sure you did the right thing, but it's still a very sad day.

Take care.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post

I'm sorry too Sean and it must have been sad, especially for the kids, but U just gave me a heart attack when I saw the title pop up. For a second I thought U were talking about 16H tailgater Little John Clancy, but then I saw the years making Clancy 15, well 105 in dog years, and opened your thread.

Glad the family got to say goodbye and time heals everything.

All League
    A couple weeks ago, my family's golden retriever was growing old and having problems and had to have her spleen removed. The surgery went "as well as you could hope for" and she was going to spend a couple nights and it got to the night before she was set to come home and accompany the family to our cabin in Maine, where she loved swimming on the lake. Unfortunately she never awoke from her sleep that night. As I've graduated college and moved on away from my family, I never got to say good bye to her. It was very hard to have never said good bye and knowing that next time I return home, she won't be there.

I know they are "just" dogs, but man, when they finally leave for a better place, do they feel like they were so much more. Nicknamed man's best friend for a good reason, that's for sure.

R.I.P. Clancy, I'm sure he was a good dog.

As the owner of an 11-year-old Lab, I know how attached you can get to our four-legged companions. I just try to appreciate what I have and not take it for granted, and make his days the best that I can. That's all you can do.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

My condolences Sean I've been through losing a Pet and it's never easy..