Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimbo vs. Shamrock

Kimbo vs. Shamrock

Just caught wind of Kimbo Slice facing off against Ken Shamrock, on CBS' next Elite XC event, scheduled for Oct. 4th.

Will post a link when I get a chance......
    Last edited by MiamiJet; 08-26-2008 at 12:53 AM.

It's Ken Shamrock...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/sha...at-slice-14185

I can't see Kimbo lasting long against Shamrock on the ground then again I haven't watched Shamrock fight since the early 90's...Does he have anything left in the tank?

Shamrock hasn't won a fight in years and has looked putrid against average fighters. Even when he was in his prime, he would run out of gas. Kimbo will knock the taste out of Shamrock's mouth.

Hall Of Fame
    Good fight for Kimbo and will be fun to watch. Everyone wants Kimbo in the ring with some studs to see what he has, but aside from Brock lesner no beginning fighter facing great comp in his first few fights, not even the great ones such as Couture fought anything close to the experienced fighters that Kimbo has already fought

sure there is more hype on Kimbo than most any other fighter in history at least for newbies that is, but its all media, the dude has a long way to go before someone with his limited skills should face a top notch opponent

I'll be at this fight and hope to have alot of fun, the card is shaping up decently enough and live MMA is great. Shamrock will standup with kimbo and get his clock cleaned, he last fought a few months ago and got KO'd in about a min, cold clocked KO'd...Kimbo needs to do the same thing to him if they fight. I read about this a week ago but it was only a rumor, not sure it will happen but it makes sense because it will draw viewers on CBS for sure

Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post
    It's Ken Shamrock...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/sha...at-slice-14185

I can't see Kimbo lasting long against Shamrock on the ground then again I haven't watched Shamrock fight since the early 90's...Does he have anything left in the tank?
    Thanks...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green View Post
    Good fight for Kimbo and will be fun to watch. Everyone wants Kimbo in the ring with some studs to see what he has, but aside from Brock lesner no beginning fighter facing great comp in his first few fights, not even the great ones such as Couture fought anything close to the experienced fighters that Kimbo has already fought

sure there is more hype on Kimbo than most any other fighter in history at least for newbies that is, but its all media, the dude has a long way to go before someone with his limited skills should face a top notch opponent

I'll be at this fight and hope to have alot of fun, the card is shaping up decently enough and live MMA is great. Shamrock will standup with kimbo and get his clock cleaned, he last fought a few months ago and got KO'd in about a min, cold clocked KO'd...Kimbo needs to do the same thing to him if they fight. I read about this a week ago but it was only a rumor, not sure it will happen but it makes sense because it will draw viewers on CBS for sure
    Experienced, sure. But seriously, they set him up with three tomato cans for his first opponents.

Tank Abbott? Over the hill. Cantrell has a 10-10 record and is a stiff. Thompson is the only one with a decent record (14-9), beefed up by beating up older dudes.

And the sad part is that Shamrock is going to come in with his chiseled body, years of experience and his glass jaw and get knocked clear into tomorrow. He flat out sucks and was never very good to begin with.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    Experienced, sure. But seriously, they set him up with three tomato cans for his first opponents.

Tank Abbott? Over the hill. Cantrell has a 10-10 record and is a stiff. Thompson is the only one with a decent record (14-9), beefed up by beating up older dudes.

And the sad part is that Shamrock is going to come in with his chiseled body, years of experience and his glass jaw and get knocked clear into tomorrow. He flat out sucks and was never very good to begin with.
    Randy Couture

1. beats Steven Graham (1-0) (2-1)
    2. beats Tony Halme (0-0) (0-4)
    3. Beat Vitor Belfort (4-0) (17-8)
    4. Maurice Smith (4-0)

combined record of opponents in first three pro fights (5-0)

Kimbo Slice

1. beats Bo Cantrell (10-10)
    2. Beat Tank Abbott (9-13) (9-14)
    3. beats James Thompson (14-8) (14-9)
    4. set to face Ken Shamrock (26-13-2)

combined record of opponents in first three pro fights (33-31)

Looking at that fact and comparing Kimbo to the UFC's greatest HW of all time you'd have to say that he's faced vastly more experienced fighters in his first fights than Randy did, so why would people expect a newbie like Kimbo to have to face studs? The only exception that I have ever seen in the sport is Brock who's faced two of the best HWs straight up and he is certainly an anomaly. Give him a chance and see if he develops, maybe he asses out maybe he earns a fight against a talented fighter and see what happens, until then just enjoy, or not.

Veteran
    Randy Couture

1. beats Steven Graham (1-0) (2-1)
    2. beats Tony Halme (0-0) (0-4)
    3. Beat Vitor Belfort (4-0) (17-8)
    4. Maurice Smith (4-0)

combined record of opponents in first three pro fights (5-0)

Kimbo Slice

1. beats Bo Cantrell (10-10)
    2. Beat Tank Abbott (9-13) (9-14)
    3. beats James Thompson (14-8) (14-9)
    4. set to face Ken Shamrock (26-13-2)

combined record of opponents in first three pro fights (33-31)

Looking at that fact and comparing Kimbo to the UFC's greatest HW of all time you'd have to say that he's faced vastly more experienced fighters in his first fights than Randy did, so why would people expect a newbie like Kimbo to have to face studs? The only exception that I have ever seen in the sport is Brock who's faced two of the best HWs straight up and he is certainly an anomaly. Give him a chance and see if he develops, maybe he asses out maybe he earns a fight against a talented fighter and see what happens, until then just enjoy, or not.
    The problem is that Kimbo's opponents' wins came years ago. The three of the people he faced are on losing streaks. He might have actually lost to Thompson had his ear not exploded. I will say I am much more interested in this fight than his other fights because shamrock has some talent on the ground. However, he himself is way past his prime.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    The problem is that Kimbo's opponents' wins came years ago. The three of the people he faced are on losing streaks. He might have actually lost to Thompson had his ear not exploded. I will say I am much more interested in this fight than his other fights because shamrock has some talent on the ground. However, he himself is way past his prime.
    so would you think that fighting younger fighters with no prior fights would be better challenges for him? Again my point is that he is not supposed to fight great fighters yet, the man has less than a year of experience training and other than that is just a tough guy.

people bash him for fighting less threatening opponents only because there is media hype around him, I'd rather watch him slowly progress and see what happens, maybe he aint sheet, maybe he could be decent, only one way to find out really

honestly, I think that Ricco Rodriguez would be a good opponent for him, he fought on the undercard of the Abbott fight which I was at live and he was overweight but fought hard in a decision loss to the now HW Champ Bigfoot Silva, if Elite kept him on contract they should pair him up with him next, eventually he will need to face Brett Rodgers but not quite yet

Veteran
    How about bob sapp vs kimbo?

How about Mike Tyson Vs Kimbo?

Tyson is way over the hill, nearly 350 pounds, has no ground game and will draw a huge crowd...Perfect opponent for Kimbo and Elite XC no? As idiotic as this sounds I bet they have already discussed this and probably even contacted Tyson...lol

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    He DID lose to Thompson. Kimbo tapped out, we all saw it. He's too much of a "man" to admit it, but the whole world knows Kimbo tapped.

Veteran
    so would you think that fighting younger fighters with no prior fights would be better challenges for him? Again my point is that he is not supposed to fight great fighters yet, the man has less than a year of experience training and other than that is just a tough guy.

people bash him for fighting less threatening opponents only because there is media hype around him, I'd rather watch him slowly progress and see what happens, maybe he aint sheet, maybe he could be decent, only one way to find out really

honestly, I think that Ricco Rodriguez would be a good opponent for him, he fought on the undercard of the Abbott fight which I was at live and he was overweight but fought hard in a decision loss to the now HW Champ Bigfoot Silva, if Elite kept him on contract they should pair him up with him next, eventually he will need to face Brett Rodgers but not quite yet
    The thing about Kimbo is he's such a badass backyard fighter, that he should be able to take on any and all comers. In theory, anyway.

He DID lose to Thompson. Kimbo tapped out, we all saw it. He's too much of a "man" to admit it, but the whole world knows Kimbo tapped.
    We're not getting into this again. He never tapped. Show me video proof and we can get into that discussion again.

Hall Of Fame
    so would you think that fighting younger fighters with no prior fights would be better challenges for him?

Yes and he would get his ass kicked by most of them. He's is fighting over the hill has beens that haven't won **** in the last few years. It's all about marketing and their doing a great job with it. Have a new wave internet tough guy fight some old washed up fighters so he can get a few wins and bring in a new crowd to watch their sport. Great idea.

If Kimbo fights a young wrestler/grabbler he would get killed unless he lands a lucky punch. He has a rock for a head and can knock out anyone but he has no skill what so ever and he can't last more then a few minutes before he is gased.

This being said if Shamrock lets his ego get to him and tries to fight Kimbo standing up he's going to be knocked out in the first round. If he fights smart and takes it to the ground Kimbo will tap out or the fight will be stopped in the first round. Either way it's a crap fight.

Also I wouldn't mind watching Lesner vs Sapp just for the size and power of the two. Make the match without a weight limit and start a new weigh class. Not sure who would win but I think Lesner would get him to the ground and end it.

Hall Of Fame
    The thing about Kimbo is he's such a badass backyard fighter, that he should be able to take on any and all comers. In theory, anyway.
    in an alley but not a cage

Kimbo is a noone, he is a clown....we will see how long he is gunna go on beating up has been's like Abott and Shamrock...and BTW he did tap.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    and BTW he did tap.
    No.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    Kimbo is a noone, he is a clown....we will see how long he is gunna go on beating up has been's like Abott and Shamrock...and BTW he did tap.
    the funny thing is that Kimbo is such a humble quiet dude, he has yet to openly talk smack and say anything other than acknowledging that he is a complete novice and is working his ass off in a race against time to become a better fighter

the media has hyped him as being a bad ass and his organization has also to an extent, but the man himself is nothing but humility, yet everyone hates him due to some perception that he acts likes he's something he's not, thats what makes me laugh about all the anti-Kimbo nonsense

the funny thing is that Kimbo is such a humble quiet dude, he has yet to openly talk smack and say anything other than acknowledging that he is a complete novice and is working his ass off in a race against time to become a better fighter

the media has hyped him as being a bad ass and his organization has also to an extent, but the man himself is nothing but humility, yet everyone hates him due to some perception that he acts likes he's something he's not, thats what makes me laugh about all the anti-Kimbo nonsense
    Well done.