Thread: Manny Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Manny Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya

December 6th, MGM Grand, at 147 lbs.

BACK ON!!! Just announced by Dan Rafael live on Espn.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should be a great fight. Man, I really can't think of a style of fighter that DLH hasn't fought at this point. Great choice in lieu of Floyd's retirement. Hopefully this leads to Manny moving up in weight.

Pacman by unanimous decision. Can't see Oscar getting knocked out, he's always had a great chin. Unless Manny goes Hopkins on him.
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 08-27-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.

Never thought Manny should've moved up...

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3555960

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will be a great fight but id like to see Pacquiao at least get one fight in at 147 before the December showdown which i assume he will...DLH might be up there in age but he will have a size advantage, can still box effectively and has a good chin...They're reportedly using the 8 ounce gloves so that's a plus for Pacquiao but can he still hit as hard at 147?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post
    Will be a great fight but id like to see Pacquiao at least get one fight in at 147 before the December showdown which i assume he will...DLH might be up there in age but he will have a size advantage, can still box effectively and has a good chin...They're reportedly using the 8 ounce gloves so that's a plus for Pacquiao but can he still hit as hard at 147?
    In theory one would assume he'd be hitting harder.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think DLH hurts him. What will DLH weigh the night of the fight, around 155 or so? I don't blame either for making this fight, the $$ will be huge.

But look at what happened to Diego Corrales, an accomplished former 135 Ring Champion when he moved up two classes to fight Clottey. He got destroyed.

Pacquiao has one fight at 135, against a very limited paper champion. And now he's fighting a real 154 lber that will make 147 for the weigh in.
    His power will be null and void this night. I think he gets broken down and busted up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    I think DLH hurts him. What will DLH weigh the night of the fight, around 155 or so? I don't blame either for making this fight, the $$ will be huge.

But look at what happened to Diego Corrales, an accomplished former 135 Ring Champion when he moved up two classes to fight Clottey. He got destroyed.

Pacquiao has one fight at 135, against a very limited paper champion. And now he's fighting a real 154 lber that will make 147 for the weigh in.
    His power will be null and void this night. I think he gets broken down and busted up.
    x2

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember speaking to Arturo Gatti when he was the 130lb. IBF champ (around '95) and was in DeLaHoyas company when DeLaHoya was at lightweight....Gatti told me that Oscar's frame was "freakishly big" for 135lbs., and he would never fight him at 30 or 35 because of his size.

DeLaHoya made his bones early on in his career by cutting weight to fight and beat smaller fighters....As he moved up, he struggled and lost more frequently....Now he's going to make his last hurrah and ride off into the sunset by beating a smaller man with a big name.
    Last edited by crazyeffinjetsfan; 08-30-2008 at 08:35 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post
    I read that "Pacquiao wants the weight limit set at 147, but De La Hoya reportedly wants 151 lbs; and that Pacquiao would use 8 oz gloves, and De La Hoya 10 oz gloves" (which I've never heard of), "but the latter now wants 10 oz for both."

De La Hoya is looking for EVERY contracted advantage he can get.
    Last edited by crazyeffinjetsfan; 08-30-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyeffinjetsfan View Post
    I read that "Pacquiao wants the weight limit set at 147, but De La Hoya reportedly wants 151 lbs; and that Pacquiao would use 8 oz gloves, and De La Hoya 10 oz gloves" (which I've never heard of), "but the latter now wants 10 oz for both."

De La Hoya is looking for EVERY contracted advantage he can get.
    which he can probably get because Manny knows there is no other payday in his career that he could possibly get like he can with Oscar, but the fight has to be at 147 and they have to wear the same gloves, anything else is silly