Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Delgado the Mets' MVP?

All Pro

Is Delgado the Mets' MVP?

Hard to believe I'm even thinking this...and he's only batting mid .260s, but if the Mets close this out, could anyone make a better case for MVP than Delgado down the stretch? What the guy is doing is unbelievable. He is carrying this team on his back right now.

Last edited by nycdan; 08-28-2008 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    He is carrying this team on his back right now.

reyes has carried this team on his back ALL season. delgado's only been good for the second half

All League
    It's hard to pinpoint an MVP for the Mets, it has really been a full team effort

Delgado
    Reyes
    Wright
    Johan(win total raped by the pen, however)
    Tatis even!
    Pelfrey

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    no
    Maybe not yet, but if he continues at this pace it's not even close. Has to be the most uncanny turnaround I've ever seen.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJetsRebels View Post
    It's hard to pinpoint an MVP for the Mets, it has really been a full team effort

Delgado
    Reyes
    Wright
    Johan(win total raped by the pen, however)
    Tatis even!
    Pelfrey
    I'm thinking Daniel Murphy is knocking on the door too although he may be starting to cool off just a bit.

Delgado's option for next year is $12MM but we owe $4MM if we don't pick it up. That means he'll cost $8MM to re-up. I'd say that was a no-brainer if there ever was one.

Besides last night, it seems like Delgado's HR's have been in clutch sitchies...he & Reyes have been money- boy did they hate Randolph, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Besides last night, it seems like Delgado's HR's have been in clutch sitchies...he & Reyes have been money- boy did they hate Randolph, eh?
    same thing i been thinking

I'm a Yankees fan but I personally think Wright has been your MVP. During some of your weaker times he's been Mr.Consistency and you can always count on him in your lineup. Sometimes these types of things go unnoticed because someone gets a hot hand. His BA might be down but his OBP and SLG has been pretty good. IMO Wright seems to be the glue that holds the team together in a way. Reyes is your spark plug and Delgado has been your slugger at times, but Wright always seems to get it done. I guess I admire that type of quality in a player.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious89x View Post
    I'm a Yankees fan but I personally think Wright has been your MVP. During some of your weaker times he's been Mr.Consistency and you can always count on him in your lineup. Sometimes these types of things go unnoticed because someone gets a hot hand. His BA might be down but his OBP and SLG has been pretty good. IMO Wright seems to be the glue that holds the team together in a way. Reyes is your spark plug and Delgado has been your slugger at times, but Wright always seems to get it done. I guess I admire that type of quality in a player.
    Definitely have to disagree. Wright is an extremely streaky player and he's had the softest 100 RBI season I've seen. But honestly, the one thing that he has definitely done is be the best fielding 3rd basemen in the NL. He's been outstanding defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Definitely have to disagree. Wright is an extremely streaky player and he's had the softest 100 RBI season I've seen. But honestly, the one thing that he has definitely done is be the best fielding 3rd basemen in the NL. He's been outstanding defensively.
    Agreed..Wright's bat has been soft this year...lots of easy outs

All League
    Delgado's a deifnite candidate. SNY did a poll the other day between Wright and Reyes. I forgot the numbers, but extremely lopsided in favor of Wright.

In my opinion, Reyes is the Mets MVP. When he goes, the Mets go.

True, but that can always be said about anyone in baseball. Nice that you guys have so many people to pick out as MVP... all we have is Moose hah.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious89x View Post
    True, but that can always be said about anyone in baseball. Nice that you guys have so many people to pick out as MVP... all we have is Moose hah.
    I personally think there is only 1 option, Jose Reyes.

You can make a case for any of the guys mentioned above, but for arguments sake I'm going to go with Big Pelf. Since June 1st I believe he is tied for first in the league in Wins, has pitched a few complete games, and has solidified one of the best rotations in the National League. When the season began, people were wondering if he should even be our 5th starter. He has really stepped it up. If playoffs start tomorrow (not getting ahead of myself), he is the # 2 starter behind Johan.

Also, I heard Steve Somers say that also, Wright has a soft 100 RBIs, 100 RBIs in late August is nothing to shake your head at. He has been awesome defensively. Might win another Gold Glove but this time actually deserve it.

I personally think there is only 1 option, Jose Reyes.
    And he is easily the best SS in NY. That's right. I said it.

I feel dirty admitting that.

All Pro
    Reyes
    Delgado
    Pelfrey
    Johan
    Wright

In that order.

Best part is, my 5th choice is our only chance of winning
    Last edited by Bay Ridge Jet; 08-28-2008 at 03:22 PM.

I can't really pick just one guy. Delgado carried them threw July, Reyes has been consistent all year, so has Wright. I don't know what they do without Johan, Olly, OR Pelfrey...or Tatis...even Murphy lately. This is a team that can't really pinpoint a move valuable player in my opinion.

You would have said Wright, but compare his numbers to Delgado, they're virtually the same now...it's like 30 and 93 to 25 and 100

Delgado's turnaround has marked the turnaround of this team from mediocrity into a NL contender for the pennant. I went to the game last night in Philly with a friend and had just finished telling him about Delgado's great turnaround right before he had his first RBI single to be followed by 2 HRs. A powerful bat in the middle of the order was just what we needed.

Having said that, I was one of the people who had completely lost hope in Delgado in the first 2 months of the season.

Delgado is the MVP

Delgado is by far the MVP since the 9 RBI thrashing of the Stankees!
    He is batting .310 with 9 game winning RBI's. Where do you think the mets would be without those 9 wins.

And How Huge was last night. A must win and he carried us.

Keep in going big Carlos!