Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Meatball Recipes?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: Meatball Recipes?

I'm a big fan of meatball subs and want to make some up for games this year. But being a mick I have no idea how to do it right. Can any experts out there provide a recipe? One thing I've noticed, when I order a meatball sub, the sauce doesn't seem to be just spaghetti sauce out of a jar. It's different somehow. So if you have a sauce recipe in addition to instructions on how to make meatballs that'd be great.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2711725]I'm a big fan of meatball subs and want to make some up for games this year. But being a mick I have no idea how to do it right. Can any experts out there provide a recipe? One thing I've noticed, when I order a meatball sub, the sauce doesn't seem to be just spaghetti sauce out of a jar. It's different somehow. So if you have a sauce recipe in addition to instructions on how to make meatballs that'd be great.[/QUOTE]

Hey, watch the scene in the "Godfather" where Clemenza shows Michael how to make pasta. That is a great recipe and easy too.

For a minute, I thought Meatball retired...oooops, Meatloaf. Time for bed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crap I guess Ill do this.

Ok get 2 pounds of Ground Beef prefrebly 85/15 fat content.

Then

10 cloves of garlic [B]Finely [/B]Chopped - NO GARLIC POWDER or Ill kill ya :D
    One cup of [B]Finely[/B] chopped Parsley
    8 slices of white bread Cut off the ends
    1 cup of Romano Cheese
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon of salt
    1 teaspoon of Back pepper

In a Deep Frying pan filled about 1/2 inch of Mazola Oil (you do not use olive oil to fry meatballs)

Take your bread and wet it down well with water so it easily mixes into the chop meat (this is what makes your meatballs tender and not bricks do not use breadcrumb) and mix in all the other ingriedents VERY WELL mix it well with your hands I cant stress enough to mix this VERY well. Once mixed let it sit for about a half hour while you start your sauce.

For the sauce get 3 or 4 cans of whole ItalianTomatos and blend them smooth or chunky however you like it. Put a small amount of olive oil in a large pot and lightly fry about 3 or four cloves of garlic finely chopped with about half a chopped onion. DO NOT burn or over cook this or you will mess up the sauce so do not brown the garlic just let the garlic and onion get soft and infuse the oil. Once this is done pour all your tomatos into the pot and bring to a boil once it boils keep stirring and lower the heat to very low simmer and keep stiring.

Now its time to fry your meatballs get the oil very very hot. and roll your meatballs into the size you like. I would say about 50% larger than a golf ball if you can picture that. and start putting them in the oil they are going to bubble really fast if the oil is the right heat just let them sit in there and should only have to turn them once. They will get a nice dark brown crust and they usually take about 5 minutes per side. As soon as you take them out just roll them right into the sauce and let them simmer in the sauce for a few hours. Cant hurt to fry up a few Italian sausages and throw them in as well, this will add a nice flavor to the sauce. When the sauce is just about done put about 4 or 5 leaves of basil in this also adds a great flavor to the sauce. When your cooking the sauce if you like it thick keep the cover off the pot if you like it thin keep it covered . DO NOT forget to stir the sauce or it will surely burn on the bottom and it will then be crap and trust me you will know if you burned it cause it will taste like ****.

Also remember to keep a few Plain fried meatballs out on the side they taste the best right out of the frying pan.

Hope this helps bro :)

PS Bushy once you do this (if you enjoy cooking) you will never buy sauce from a har again in your life and you may never buy a meatball hero either I promise :)
    Last edited by Smashmouth; 08-28-2008 at 02:38 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Almost forgot IF you want this for the games on Sunday you can get some small tupper wares and put about 3 meatballs in each with some sauce and freeze them. On saturday night throw it on the counter and it will be defrosted on sunday morning. Heat it up and your ready to roll. You should have enough for about 5 games cause I think you will get 15 or so meatballs out of this . If you hate to cook just double the recipie and you will have enough for 2 months :) .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2711733]Crap I guess Ill do this.

Then

1 cup of Romano Cheese
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon of salt

In a Deep Frying pan filled about 1/2 inch of Mazola Oil (you do not use olive oil to fry meatballs)

Take your bread and wet it down well with water so it easily mixes into the chop meat (this is what makes your meatballs tender and not bricks do not use breadcrumb) and mix in all the other ingriedents VERY WELL mix it well with your hands I cant stress enough to mix this VERY well. Once mixed let it sit for about a half hour while you start your sauce.

For the sauce get 3 or 4 cans of whole ItalianTomatos and blend them smooth or chunky however you like it. Put a small amount of olive oil in a large pot and lightly fry about 3 or four cloves of garlic finely chopped with about half a chopped onion. DO NOT burn or over cook this or you will mess up the sauce so do not brown the garlic just let the garlic and onion get soft and infuse the oil. Once this is done pour all your tomatos into the pot and bring to a boil once it boils keep stirring and lower the heat to very low simmer and keep stiring.

Now its time to fry your meatballs get the oil very very hot. and roll your meatballs into the size you like. I would say about 50% larger than a golf ball if you can picture that. and start putting them in the oil they are going to bubble really fast if the oil is the right heat just let them sit in there and should only have to turn them once. They will get a nice dark brown crust and they usually take about 5 minutes per side. As soon as you take them out just roll them right into the sauce and let them simmer in the sauce for a few hours. Cant hurt to fry up a few Italian sausages and throw them in as well, this will add a nice flavor to the sauce. When the sauce is just about done put about 4 or 5 leaves of basil in this also adds a great flavor to the sauce. When your cooking the sauce if you like it thick keep the cover off the pot if you like it thin keep it covered . DO NOT forget to stir the sauce or it will surely burn on the bottom and it will then be crap and trust me you will know if you burned it cause it will taste like ****.

Also remember to keep a few Plain fried meatballs out on the side they taste the best right out of the frying pan.

PS Bushy once you do this (if you enjoy cooking) you will never buy sauce from a har again in your life and you may never buy a meatball hero either I promise :)[/QUOTE]

Great recipe...almost exactly to the letter as the way I make mine...except one thing. I use half beef and half pork. One pound beef and one pound pork using the two pound recipe. If you have a cooperative butcher, he can mix it for you. If not, no big deal in mixing it yourself.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2711725]I'm a big fan of meatball subs and want to make some up for games this year. But being a mick I have no idea how to do it right. Can any experts out there provide a recipe? One thing I've noticed, when I order a meatball sub, the sauce doesn't seem to be just spaghetti sauce out of a jar. It's different somehow. So if you have a sauce recipe in addition to instructions on how to make meatballs that'd be great.[/QUOTE]
    Ya gotta be Eyetalian to get into this club hun!! :D

Then again with a screen name like [B]BushyTheBeaver[/B] we may have to make you an honorary member.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I use bread crumbs instead of bread...if you like your meat balls a little bit mushier soak the bread crumbs in water, if you like a firmer meat ball use just a bit of water...

anyone know how to make shwetty balls? :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    my mom makes the best meatballs

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grandma Norinas recipe:

1 lb Chop Meat (Beef or 1/2 Beef and 1/2 Pork) Don't use real lean beef (you want the fat)
    2 Eggs
    Oregano
    Parsley
    Chopped Garlic
    1 Cup Bread Crumbs
    Grated Cheese

The key to a good meatball (and I learned from the best) is to mix the ingredients thoroughly with your hands but DON"T compress the meat too much....When you roll them into the balls, just roll them lightly between your palms and DON'T pack the hell out of them....Brown them in a pan and transfer into a pot of gravy and let them simmer for several hours....If you don't have the gravy, bake them in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes with a little water in the pan....Don't over cook them.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, that does it. I'm hungry!!!! :drool:

Ah.........brings back the smell of Mrs. Cavalucci's kitchen! :yes:

PS- Thanks Smashmouth, I'm going to try this!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever recipe you decide to use Do Not overcook the meatballs before you put them in the sauce. When making them in a frying pan if you can put a fork in them and pick them up they are ready for the sauce, if they slip off the fork then they need a little more time in the pan.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=extra714;2711875]Whatever recipe you decide to use Do Not overcook the meatballs before you put them in the sauce. When making them in a frying pan if you can put a fork in them and pick them up they are ready for the sauce, if they slip off the fork then they need a little more time in the pan.[/QUOTE]

And if you can't stick a fork in them, then you overcooked'em! :D

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't give up my recipe, grandma will haunt me the rest of my days, but if you stop by my tailgate I am known for my lasagna and meatballs.....:yes:

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2711733]Crap I guess Ill do this.

Then

1 cup of Romano Cheese
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon of salt

PS Bushy once you do this (if you enjoy cooking) you will never buy sauce from a har again in your life and you may never buy a meatball hero either I promise :)[/QUOTE]

perfetto

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I endorse the recipe above that has part ground beef and part ground pork. I think my ratio is about 1 part ground pork to 3 parts ground beef. The ground pork really adds something I find. Oh, also Lawrys seasoning salt, that's a must.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never measure anything but I'll give it a shot.

Meatballs-
    Equal parts veal, beef, pork-lb each
    garlic,parsley chopped fine-how ever much you like
    bread crumbs(plain) moistened in milk about -a cup give or take
    Romano cheese-two hands full-1,2 cups give or take
    salt,pepper
    eggs

fry in hot corn oil

Gravy-
    Fresh plum tomatoes, garlic,onion,basil,salt,pepper,olive oil

Sauté garlic,onion in olive oil. Cut plum tomatoes into small pieces and add to garlic and onion,salt and pepper. Reduce for a while. Add basil. Reduce more. Strain through fine strainer and reduce more or don't strain and eat it as is

Forgot-
    If you want meat in the gravy. Fry the sausage or pork or chicken in a separate pan and then pour the gravy into the pan you fried the meat in about half way through cooking the gravy.

Good Luck
    Last edited by chicadeel; 08-28-2008 at 10:01 AM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Smash's recipe because he uses slices of bread instead of bread crumbs, but I like how chicadeel calls the sauce "gravy." That's what we always called it in my house, on Sundays my mom makes a big pot of gravy.

I know technically it's only "gravy" and not "sauce" if it's a bolognese or otherwise filled with meat, but that's what we always called it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=tavarua6285;2711804]my mom makes the best meatballs[/QUOTE]

Ah, no she does not.

I do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2711733]

Ok get 2 pounds of [B]Ground Beef[/B] prefrebly 85/15 fat content.

Then

[B]8 slices of white bread Cut off the ends[/B]
    1 cup of [B]Romano[/B] Cheese
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon of salt

[/QUOTE]

Pretty close to mine (my grandmother's, then my Mom's), however I use:

2/3 ground beef and 1/3 ground pork
    Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    Parm Reggiano cheese
    And I add about a cup of milk to the whole mixture--my Mom says it makes the meatballs nice and tender.

And my balls are very tender. :D

Can't do my gravy recipe, takes too long.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You've got to use ground pork and enough eggs if you want them juicy. I use a 1 to 1 ratio.

The problem with a lot restaurants is that they don't use pork for any customers who don't eat it. My ingredients are mostly by feel but the basics for my meatballs are the following.

2 pounds of pork
    2 pounds of beef
    6 eggs
    grated parm
    seasoned bread crumbs
    fresh cut parsley
    minced garlic

Then I heat up a pan with olive oil, put a few sliced cloves of garlic in the oil and pull them out before they get brown.

I brown the meatballs in the pan but don't cook them completely through. I put them in the sauce that I'm cooking after so that the sauce finishes them off and the middles are still juicy.