Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Palin was AIP Member - Party Wants vote on secesssion from US

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Palin was AIP Member - Party Wants vote on secesssion from US

Members of 'Fringe' Alaskan Independence Party Say Palin Was a Member in 90s
    September 01, 2008 6:52 PM

The campaign of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., likes to herald the independence of its new running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so independent, she was once a member of their party, which, since the 1970s, has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not residents of the 49th state can secede from the United States.

And while McCain's motto -- as seen in a new TV ad -- is "Country First," the AIP's motto is the exact opposite -- "Alaska First -- Alaska Always."

Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, tells ABC News that Palin and her husband Todd were members in 1994, even attending the 1994 statewide convention in Wasilla. Clark was AIP secretary at the time.

[B]"We are a state's rights party," says Clark, a self-employed goldminer. The AIP has "a plank that challenges the legality of the Alaskan statehood vote as illegal and in violation of United Nations charter and international law."

She says it's not accurate to describe the party as secessionist -- they just want a vote, she says, adding that the members of the AIP hold different opinions on what Alaska should be.

"My own separate opinion as an individual is that we should be an independent nation," Clark says. Others in the AIP "believe that being a commonwealth would be a good avenue to follow." Some advocate statehood -- but a fuller statehood than exists now.

She doesn't know what Palin's position was.

"It never came up in conversation," Clark recalls. "But when she joined the party, our platform was right under her nose."[/B]
    Clark says that Palin left the party and became a Republican in 1996, when she first ran for mayor of Wasilla.

The McCain-Palin campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The AIP platform states that the purpose of the party is to "seek the complete repatriation of the public lands, held by the federal government, to the state and people of Alaska in conformance with Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17, of the federal constitution ... To prohibit all bureaucratic regulations and judicial rulings purporting to have the effect of law, except that which shall be approved by the elected legislature ... To support the privatization of government services ...”

Walter Hickel, a former Republican governor, was elected to the governorship in 1990 as an AIP member -- the third-largest party in Alaska -- with a plurality vote of 38.8%. A Seattle Post-Intelligencer story that year said that "Hickel is running with the Alaska Independence Party, a fringe group advocating that the 49th state declare itself a sovereign nation. But he's not a separatist; he's an opportunist: the Independence Party was the only 11th-hour ticket to the general election."

Hickel returned to the Republican Party in 1994; he endorsed Palin in her gubernatorial run in 2006. Subsequent AIP gubernatorial candidates did not fare as well as did Hickel, garnering less than 2 percent of the vote.

Earlier this year, Palin sent a video message to the AIP for its annual convention, where AIP vice chair George Clark told the small crowd that Palin "was an AIP member before she got the job as a mayor of a small town –- that was a non-partisan job. But you get along to go along -– she eventually joined the Republican Party, where she had all kinds of problems with their ethics, and well, I won’t go into that. She also had about an 80 percent approval rating, and is pretty well sympathetic to her former membership."

Lynette Clark says that Palin is "a fine individual. She's forthright and she puts Alaska first."

She is not a fan of McCain.

"I can't understand why in God's name she has aligned herself with a candidate who opposes the development of our republic and Alaska's resource wealth," Clark says

[URL="[URL="http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/members-of-frin.html"]http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/members-of-frin.html[/URL]"][URL="http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/members-of-frin.html"]http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/members-of-frin.html[/URL][/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's your next post, she started the AIDs virus?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;2720997]What's your next post, she started the AIDs virus?[/QUOTE]

What is your opinion of the thread topic?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;2720997]What's your next post, she started the AIDs virus?[/QUOTE]

cant handle the truth?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meh, I don't think this is much of an issue.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2721012]Meh, I don't think this is much of an issue.[/QUOTE]

and yet obama maybe being listed as a muslim at a secular school when he was 6 years old and living in Indonesia is?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2721012]Meh, I don't think this is much of an issue.[/QUOTE]

Of course it's not much of an issue.

But it's ironic that McCain, Mr. "Country First", chose a running mate who had previously been a member of a party that wanted to have Alaska break away from the US.

Just imagine if Obama had been in a similar situation. FoxNews, Rush, Hannity (and, of course, our resident JI Obama-detractors) would have had a field day.

This is just more evidence of the non-vetting by the McCain campaign.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shuler82;2721016]and yet obama maybe being listed as a muslim at a secular school when he was 6 years old and living in Indonesia is?[/QUOTE]
    Actually, when he says he's never been muslim, it is.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shuler82;2721016]and yet obama maybe being listed as a muslim at a secular school when he was 6 years old and living in Indonesia is?[/QUOTE]

Knee-jerk reaction, much?

I can't speak for him, but I'm pretty sure Bushy has [B]never[/B] thought that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why should religion matter at all during an election?

[QUOTE=sackdance;2721034]Actually, when he says he's never been muslim, it is.[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. Just like Palin's kid being preggers isn't. Just like McCain having 7 houses isn't.

This is something, but not much. All this does is it makes the state's rights people love her and the people who hate her have another reason for feeling that way.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2721035]Knee-jerk reaction, much?

I can't speak for him, but I'm pretty sure Bushy has [B]never[/B] thought that.[/QUOTE]

i guess you never quoted someone and used their quote as an example, rather than attacking back at them.. my apologies.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Das Ken;2721041]No. Just like Palin's kid being preggers isn't. Just like McCain having 7 houses isn't.

This is something, but not much. All this does is it makes the state's rights people love her and the people who hate her have another reason for feeling that way.[/QUOTE]

How can this make "State's Rights People" love her when the State's Right people don't want to break away from the USA?

Come on now, think this through. There is a difference between saying you want States to have have more say in the USA and advocating for a State to LEAVE the USA.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Das Ken;2721041]No. Just like Palin's kid being preggers isn't. Just like McCain having 7 houses isn't.

This is something, but not much. All this does is it makes the state's rights people love her and the people who hate her have another reason for feeling that way.[/QUOTE]

You could just as easily make the argument that her in involvement in a group like this calls her love for America into question. :rolleyes:

Sound familiar Obama haters?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=SMC;2721026]Of course it's not much of an issue.

But it's ironic that McCain, Mr. "Country First", chose a running mate who had previously been a member of a party that wanted to have Alaska break away from the US.

Just imagine if Obama had been in a similar situation. FoxNews, Rush, Hannity (and, of course, our resident JI Obama-detractors) would have had a field day.
    [B]
    This is just more evidence of the non-vetting by the McCain campaign.[/B][/quote]

I agree. The more I see of this pick, the less I like it

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The chairman of the party says:

[B]"My own separate opinion as an individual is that we should be an independent nation," Clark says. Others in the AIP "believe that being a commonwealth would be a good avenue to follow." Some advocate statehood -- but a fuller statehood than exists now.[/B]

Who's to say what she thinks other than the fact that she supports state rights. That's the only thing this article makes clear. And even if she did believe in leaving the Union she definetly won't be saying that now.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    it's funny how this part went non-bolden:

[QUOTE]Clark says that Palin left the party and became a Republican in 1996, when she first ran for mayor of Wasilla. [/QUOTE]

so she was a member of this party for half dozen years?????

remind me again- how long did obama listen to the sermons of Rev Wright????

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember how the Right went ape over Rev. Wright's having said "well, goddamn America." Here's what the founder of the Alaska Independence Party (Joe Vogler) said: "I've got no use for America or her damned institutions."

wonder if o'reilly will be playing joe vogler clips 24/7.. i somehow doubt it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod;2721076]You could just as easily make the argument that her in involvement in a group like this calls her love for America into question. :rolleyes:

Sound familiar Obama haters?[/QUOTE]
    Anyone who thinks Obama hates America really needs to evaluate their lives and make sure they got their high school diploma.

His involvement in Trinity United was stupid but at the time what better way to become integrated into the community then join the popular church. I'm sure Palin was doing the same thing by getting involved with this group. It's wrong in the long run but at the time you have to do what you have to do.

And I don't hate Obama. But what's really wierd are all the similarities between the two candidiates except one's running for President and the other for Vice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2721099]it's funny how this part went non-bolden:

so she was a member of this party for half dozen years?????

remind me again- how long did obama listen to the sermons of Rev Wright????[/QUOTE]
    And funny how you did not quote that she is still involved with the party and sympathetic to it.
    [QUOTE]Earlier this year, Palin sent a video message to the AIP for its annual convention, where AIP vice chair George Clark told the small crowd that Palin "was an AIP member before she got the job as a mayor of a small town –- that was a non-partisan job. But you get along to go along -– she eventually joined the Republican Party, where she had all kinds of problems with their ethics, and well, I won’t go into that. She also had about an 80 percent approval rating, and is pretty well sympathetic to her former membership."[/QUOTE]