Thread: Piney's 2009 Yankees

Piney's 2009 Yankees

ok....for the first time in a long time, as a Yankee fan, I actually have to look at next season while this season is still going on.

It is numbing....

I was one of those guys who felt the Yankees may still be able to squeak out something special, but Saturday's game against the Blue Jays was, to me, the final nail in the coffin.

I really can't complain too much. My perspective on this season is that it may mean more to the Yankee hater than the Yankee fan. The guy who has been hoping and praying for the Yankees to miss the playoffs.

My team has played meaningful baseball for a very long time. How can you moan and groan when you have gotten to see your team in the world series 6 times in since 1996? I was never a guy who thought the Yankees had a playoff spot as a birthright, and after the initial blow from each losing season, I also knew how lucky I was, that my team made it as far as they did.

I in now way feel embarrassed that a team with this kind of payroll has missed the playoffs, number one, I don't work for the Yankees, and number two, money can't buy championships, it helps your chances, but ultimately the team has to play the games.

Onto my offseason plan:

I think the major problems with this team are a lack of energy with the line-up, they are too old in the wrong places, and there is no clear-cut workhorse ace.

So, here is what I do if I were GM.

(keep in mind that this has some "in a perfect world" results, because I am also looking to trade some players away....)

Say goodbye to Jason Giambi, he can not be the first baseman and the Yankees have a glut of DH's.

Say, thanks Andy, but no thanks....I have always been a Pettitte fan, but his age and ineffectiveness late this season makes me think it is time to part company, he no doubt retires.

I do however re-sign Mussina, he should be a valuable 4 or 5 starter on this team. I hope they work out a deal, he can get a big one year deal or a modest two year deal. I say give him the choice of a 2 years 6 mil deal with an option/buy out or 1 year 10 mil. For laughs lets say he agrees to the two year deal, option for a third with a buyout. With that the Yankees would save some money compared to the 11 mil he made in 2008.

I sign C.C. Sabathia...the Yankees were never worried about money, and this guy is a no doubt about it workhorse. If the deal is 7 at $140, they should do it.

I look to trade Robinson Cano. I just get the sense that Cano is a low energy guy, and his streaky-ness scares me. He has tremendous upside which helps his trade value greatly, if we could send him and prospects to the Dodgers for Kemp. (a player of that ilk is what the Yankees would need in order to send Cano away...so lets do that for arguments sake, thinking the Dodgers resign Manny.) Now, in my little perfect world, the Yanks give up enough to get back Kemp and Lucas May. May would catch moving Jorge to first base. Even if the Yanks had to do a 5 for 2 swap, I make this deal. The Yankees would also be saving some money here and Cano isn't too expensive for the Dodgers and is locked up for a long time.

In order to fill the hole left by Cano I sign Orlando Hudson. Switch-hitter, great defense, and decent production and all reports are that he will heal up fine from his injury. Also a very high energy good clubhouse guy. Also only 30 years old. You probably have to give him 4 years around 7 or 8 per.

I also see if there is a market for Damon, which if the Yankees pick up some salary, would help with trading him. Damon only has a limited no-trade clause. Maybe send Damon away for a mid-level prospect.

Offer Abreu arbitration, either you get the picks or you only have to commit to one year. I will go on the assumption that he leaves and signs elsewhere, giving the Yankees some picks.

Sign Ryan Dempster. I am always afraid of signing NL pitchers, but if this year has shown us anything, it shows us we need depth and he is a quality starter who when the Cubs used correctly, gets the job done. This could cost the Yankees more than it should, possibly a 4-5 year deal.

Try to sign Rocco Baldelli. Baldelli is tricky, he will want a nice contract but he has such a dangerous history of injuries. Is this someone worth taking a shot with, I think so. I have no idea how to assume his contract, it will really rely on how he performs from here on out this season. Lets say he plays great and shows no sign of injury the rest of the year, jumps through hoops for whatever team wants to sign him as far as medical examinations, gets the green light, and grabs himself a contract with Damon money but Cano years. So let's say 28 million for four years with two option years.

If you can't sign him, get a viable short term option for left field along the lines of Mike Cameron etc.

So here is your rotation

Sabathia (free agent, 20 mil per season)
    Joba
    Wang
    Dempster (free agent, 14 mil per season)
    Mussina (free agent, 6 mil per season)

Hughes and Kennedy would remain in the minors. I have always been a believer in Hughes and I still am, Kennedy I always thought pitched over his head in '07. So lets say you do a Joba with Hughes, and if he shows AAA dominance, you make him you 8th inning guy.

the infield would be:

1B Posada
    2B Hudson (free agent, 5-8 mil per)
    3B A-Rod
    SS Jeter
    C Lucas (trade)

Outfield

RF Nady
    CF Kemp (trade)
    LF Baldelli (free agent, 7 mil, escalating contract)

Melky, Gardner et al can fight it out to be the fourth outfielder, with Jackson waiting in the wings, and possibly used if there are any injuries.

DH Matsui

as far as payroll goes Yanks lose somewhere around 80 mil and pick up about 55 mil...if my numbers are correct.
    I would love some feedback...

Now my offseason really needs the Cano trade to work out. I think it could be done, the Dodgers have a glut of outfileders making big money and they already have a young catcher in Martin.

Do my proposed contracts for free-agents Sabathia, Baldelli, Hudson, and Dempster sound weak? Is Jorge a viable option for the Yankees at first base?
    Last edited by piney; 09-01-2008 at 11:10 PM.

1) The idea of moving Cano is fine, if that's something you really want to do, but there's zero chance the Dodgers move Kemp anymore, and even if they would you do realize that he has been knocked for having most of the same personality traits that you are criticizing Cano for, right?

2) Signing Orlando Hudson for "4 years at 7 or 8 million" is a pipedream. Look at what Luis Castillo got last year (4 years, 25 million) and you're telling me you think Hudson is going to get less then 2 million a year more? The bidding for Hudson starts at 4 years and 40 million.

3) The Market for Baldelli, with his history of injuries, doesn't exceed 2 years. Nor would he want it to because if he could stay healthy for a year he could make a fortune in Free Agency.

Just my opinion though. Other then those 3 points, it is one of the more realistic scenario's I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    1) The idea of moving Cano is fine, if that's something you really want to do, but there's zero chance the Dodgers move Kemp anymore, and even if they would you do realize that he has been knocked for having most of the same personality traits that you are criticizing Cano for, right?

2) Signing Orlando Hudson for "4 years at 7 or 8 million" is a pipedream. Look at what Luis Castillo got last year (4 years, 25 million) and you're telling me you think Hudson is going to get less then 2 million a year more? The bidding for Hudson starts at 4 years and 40 million.

3) The Market for Baldelli, with his history of injuries, doesn't exceed 2 years. Nor would he want it to because if he could stay healthy for a year he could make a fortune in Free Agency.

Just my opinion though. Other then those 3 points, it is one of the more realistic scenario's I've seen.
    Yeah, after looking it over I mis-judged the Hudson contract....I think it may take a hit thanks to his injury, but, the Yankees do print money, and as a fan, I could care less if they overpay him. If you move Cano he is the best option.

If you can't get Kemp, then you look to get a stud pitcher back. I think moving Cano has to be in the plan, because it opens up a world of possibility for the Yankees, and his offensive production is replaceable.

I still think if the Dodgers were to sign Manny, they would be open to moving Kemp. Maybe not, but I think it is something to look into.

Why do you think he has no chance of being moved?

I think Kemp is a baby, but I also think he plays hard which I sometimes think Cano doesn't.

Kemp, to me, is Gary Sheffield, personality-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    Yeah, after looking it over I mis-judged the Hudson contract....I think it may take a hit thanks to his injury, but, the Yankees do print money, and as a fan, I could care less if they overpay him. If you move Cano he is the best option.
    I get the feeling he'll fully be able to pass a physical by the time Free Agency comes around, so I don't think it'll hurt him.

If you can't get Kemp, then you look to get a stud pitcher back. I think moving Cano has to be in the plan, because it opens up a world of possibility for the Yankees, and his offensive production is replaceable.
    I still think if the Dodgers were to sign Manny, they would be open to moving Kemp. Maybe not, but I think it is something to look into.

Why do you think he has no chance of being moved?

I think Kemp is a baby, but I also think he plays hard which I sometimes think Cano doesn't.

Kemp, to me, is Gary Sheffield, personality-wise.
    He has no chance of being moved because he is a star in the making, and the Dodgers have had several chances to break up their kids, for better players then Robinson Cano (Such as Johan Santana), and have refused to do so each and every time.

I can't speak for the guys personality personally, because I don't know the guy. But I do know that.....

Remember last year when he was criticized for loudly complaining that a garbage can had been put next to his locker?
    The veterans thought the kids didnít respect winning. They thought they didnít respect the game.

The veterans quietly complained about everything from late clubhouse arrivals to dumb baserunning errors to smiles after losses.
    Seems a little bit overblown, but there's usually some degree of truth behind the rumblings. Just seems a little bit hypocritical when you want to deal Robinson Cano, yet bring in a player who has been villified by the media (justifyably or not) for the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I get the feeling he'll fully be able to pass a physical by the time Free Agency comes around, so I don't think it'll hurt him.

He has no chance of being moved because he is a star in the making, and the Dodgers have had several chances to break up their kids, for better players then Robinson Cano (Such as Johan Santana), and have refused to do so each and every time.

I can't speak for the guys personality personally, because I don't know the guy. But I do know that.....

Seems a little bit overblown, but there's usually some degree of truth behind the rumblings. Just seems a little bit hypocritical when you want to deal Robinson Cano, yet bring in a player who has been villified by the media (justifyably or not) for the same things.

for me, my criticism of Cano is that I think his head isn't in the game all the time, and that he takes days off, I haven't really seen that from Kemp, and I watch a lot of Dodger games. I could be wrong of course. I just never got that impression from watching him play.

Also, my Cano deal wasn't straight up, I would be willing to part with more than just Cano.

Of course, if they can't get him, there are other options.

I also thought that the sticking point was more in the lines of the other players that the Twins wanted. I thought they also wanted Kershaw.

The Dodgers have been rumored to offer Kemp or listen to offers for Kemp in a few deals, like earlier this year for Sabathia, and there was a Cano for Kemp and Lowe rumor in June, and that rumored deal seemed to lose steam because the Yankees thought they could get Kemp and a front of the rotation starter, the Dodger were also reported to have fielded offers from the Phillies regarding Kemp.

I know these are rumors, but I have read about five or six different Matt Kemp rumors to think that the Dodgers would part with him. If not, why wouldn't they just make it known that he was untouchable.

I have been saying since July that we need to trade Cano...I am for it..DEPENDING on what we get back..

Aside from Pitching, the number one offseason issue is to find a CF

All Pro
    I think CC is going to want to stay in the NL. He's a west coast guy, he is KILLING the NL, and the Dodgers can offer him big $$. Unless the Yanks offer 3-4 million per year over the Dodgers, why would he not go there.

Really, if he likes NY, why would he not choose the Mets over the Yanks if the Mets can afford him? CC + Johan = best 1-2 in baseball, hands down.

Interesting 2009 outlook.

What prospects go for Lucas?

Also, do you think that line-up has enough power for the AL?