Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barack's mother was 18 when she had him

Barack's mother was 18 when she had him

So, I don't see the Obama campaign attacking Palin on the issue of her 17 yr old daughter. She was married in February 1961 and gave birth to Barack in August of that same year. Hmmmmm.

Please move to political forum. My bad.

All League
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2721539]So, I don't see the Obama campaign attacking Palin on the issue of her 17 yr old daughter. She was married in February 1961 and gave birth to Barack in August of that same year. Hmmmmm.

Please move to political forum. My bad.[/QUOTE]

Oh, the Libs are gonna spin this whole thing and try to take advantage of it....They don't have much else.

Stop making things up. Obama said yesterday that Palin's kids should be off limits and that the entire issue is irrelevant.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2721539]So, I don't see the Obama campaign attacking Palin on the issue of her 17 yr old daughter. She was married in February 1961 and gave birth to Barack in August of that same year. Hmmmmm.

Do you really think the campaign would attack? I can't imagine this being a big deal to a single voter.

My bad, I misread your post. You're right, he's not attacking her on this and he also brought up his upbringing as a direct point in the response.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/01/obama.palin/index.html[/url]

[QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2721544]Do you really think the campaign would attack? I can't imagine this being a big deal to a single voter.[/QUOTE]

Attacking Palin is a big risk, IMO. The Shillarites represent a large voting block that Obama cannot afford to lose.

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2721551]My bad, I misread your post. You're right, he's not attacking her on this and he also brought up his upbringing as a direct point in the response.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/01/obama.palin/index.html[/url][/QUOTE]

I hadn't read that. He definitely took the high road on this (or, the only road).

[QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2721544]Do you really think the campaign would attack? I can't imagine this being a big deal to a single voter.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Anyone who thinks this is a big deal and a legit reason not to vote Republican probably never really wasn't going to in the first place.

This is honestly such a ridiculous scenario to be focusing on. The daughter of the VP nominee....I mean really.

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2721557]Agreed. Anyone who thinks this is a big deal and a legit reason not to vote Republican probably never really wasn't going to in the first place.

This is honestly such a ridiculous scenario to be focusing on. [B]The daughter of the VP nominee....I mean really[/B].[/QUOTE]

Just imagine if the VP's daughter was a lesbian. Oh, wait.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Its not necessarily a big deal to many voters, but its causing them a lot of pain/annoyance. Do you think the McCain camp wanted to be reacting to this story as well how well he vetted her in the middle of the Convention?

Takes them totally off message. How will it play in the long run? Who knows.

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2721542]Stop making things up. Obama said yesterday that Palin's kids should be off limits and that the entire issue is irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

Of course he did. He has attack dogs and media to make those attacks for him (same as any other standard-issue run-of-the-mill Politician).

The irony of course is that young Ms. Palin could be having the next Obama, you know, conceived out of wedlock by an underage mother.

And Mr. Obama has kids all over the world.

I wonder if she would have gotten an abortion if it was legal back then.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

The Democrats are not the party of contraception is evil and sex ed should not be taught.

The Republicans are.

You reap what you sew

All League
    [QUOTE=crazyeffinjetsfan;2721541]Oh, the Libs are gonna spin this whole thing and try to take advantage of it....[B]They don't have much else.[/[/B]QUOTE]

The Democrats don't have a crappy economy to run against?

The Democrats don't have a $ 12 billion per month war to run against?

[QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2721556]I hadn't read that. He definitely took the high road on this (or, the only road).[/QUOTE]

right, a bunch of pro-choice Democrat Hillary voters are going to vote for McCain and Palin who have stated that they would like Roe v Wade overturned simply because Palin has a vagina.....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buster;2721757]The Democrats are not the party of contraception is evil and sex ed should not be taught.

The Republicans are.

You reap what you sew[/QUOTE]

While we're on broad generalizations, the Democrats are the party of baby-killers and abortion as birth control? I don't think so. Let's be careful about generalizations. Not every Republican is against contraception and sex education.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2721733]Of course he did. He has attack dogs and media to make those attacks for him (same as any other standard-issue run-of-the-mill Politician).

The irony of course is that young Ms. Palin could be having the next Obama, you know, conceived out of wedlock by an underage mother.[/QUOTE]

Imagine how the press would have attacked Mary when she married Joseph.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2721765]While we're on broad generalizations, the Democrats are the party of baby-killers and abortion as birth control? I don't think so. Let's be careful about generalizations. Not every Republican is against contraception and sex education.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/01/palin-on-abortion-id-oppo_n_122924.html"]huffingtonpost[/URL]

In November 2006, then gubernatorial candidate Sarah Palin declared that she would not support an abortion for her own daughter even if she had been raped.

Granting exceptions only if the mother's life was in danger, Palin said that when it came to her daughter, "I would choose life."

At the time, her daughter was 14 years old. Moreover, Alaska's rape rate was an abysmal 2.2 times above the national average and 25 percent of all rapes resulted in unwanted pregnancies. But Palin's position was palatable within the state's largely Republican political circles.

Now that she's John McCain's vice presidential candidate, Palin's abortion policy (among others) is undergoing renewed scrutiny. The Alaska Republican has long declared herself pro-life. And her credentials on the topic make her the belle of the ball among religious conservatives. But Democrats and abortion rights advocates say her stance, specifically her unwillingness to grant her own child a choice to end a pregnancy induced by rape, is drastically at odds with public opinion -- even among many Republicans.

"This is absolutely outside the mainstream. Even in South Dakota they rejected [outlawing abortion in cases of rape] in '06 because it has gone too far and everyone can identify that in a case of rape or incest a woman should have the chance to make the decision with their family or doctor," said Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro Choice America. "Women voters are going to reject both her and John McCain, and I think we see it specifically because we reach out to Republicans and independent pro-choice women. They live in the suburbs and exurbs. They are very much part of the mainstream America. And woman in general will reject that ticket."

Palin makes no secret of her abortion views. A member of the group Feminists for Life, she told the Alaska Right to Life Board in 2002 that she "adamantly supported our cause since I first understood, as a child, the atrocity of abortion." In an Eagle Forum Alaska questionnaire filled out during the 2006 gubernatorial race, Palin again stated that she is against abortion unless a doctor determined that a mother's life would end due to the pregnancy.

"I believe that no matter what mistakes we make as a society," she wrote, "we cannot condone ending an innocent's life."

But it's not just abortion policy that has Democrats up in arms over Palin. [B]In that same 2006 questionnaire, the soon-to-be governor said she would fund abstinence-only education programs in schools. "The explicit sex-ed programs," she added, "will not find my support." The stance, which reflected the priorities of the GOP, nevertheless led to an incredulous editorial in the Juneau Empire. [/B]

"Abstinence may be a laudable goal, but failing to educate teenagers about how to protect themselves from disease or unintended pregnancy is tragically misguided. According to the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, abstinence-only programs do not reduce sexual activity, teen pregnancy or sexually transmitted disease. Every day 10,000 U.S. teens contract a sexually transmitted disease, 2,400 get pregnant and 55 contract HIV. Unintended pregnancies happen to Republicans, Democrats and people of all faiths."

While Palin's positions have drawn the ire and concern of the pro-choice and progressive community, they are largely -- save abortions in the case of rape -- in line with John McCain's own stances. [B]The Senator is against federal funding of birth control and sex education[/B]. He has called for the overturning of Roe v. Wade and received a zero rating from NARAL. Once, aboard the Straight Talk Express, McCain was asked if he supported the use of contraception or President Bush's abstinence-only education program to stem the spreading of AIDS.

[B]"After a long pause, he said, 'I think I support the president's policy.' Does he believe that contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV? After another long pause, he replied, "You've stumped me."[/B]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2721542]Stop making things up. Obama said yesterday that Palin's kids should be off limits and that the entire issue is irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

Yes he did. I'm not an Obama fan, but that was a very classy move, and he was very definitive in how he said it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2721765]While we're on broad generalizations, the Democrats are the party of baby-killers and abortion as birth control? I don't think so. Let's be careful about generalizations. Not every Republican is against contraception and sex education.[/QUOTE]

you're right.. but palin is. and i think that's what most people are taking issue with.