Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marino overrated compiler...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Marino overrated compiler...

84- This was his best season ever, he went to the SB, but he went 29-50 for 318 1-2 and choked when it counted most (the SB!)... it was only a sign of things to come.
    85- Against the Patriots at home in the rain, he chokes and goes 20-48 for 248 and 2-2, the Pats were smacking him early and often and he cracked.
    86- Chokes again against the Pats in the final game of the season and misses the playoffs, team goes 8-8.
    87- Goes 8-7 in the strike shortened season and loses to NE for the third straight time in the last game of the season to miss the playoffs... Goes 21 of 37 for 243 yards and 1-2 and gets outplayed by Grogan... AGAIN!
    88- Team goes 6-10 and there are rumors Shula is tired of Marino's antics and wants to trade him to the Steelers. Marino like always never owns up to failure.
    89- A complete Marino collapse...AGAIN! Marino led Miami loses 4 out of their last 5 games and misses the playoffs, Marino throws 6 INTS in those games and blows leads to miss the playoffs, Marino proves to be one of the biggest choke job artists in the league, team goes 8-8 that season... AGAIN!!!

The mid to late 80's were brutal to Miami and Marino, but very few people take note of that because of his inflated stats which would melt the moment he faced a real defense.

90- Miami goes 12-4 due in large part to a stingy defense, but Marino pulls another choke against Buffalo in the second round of the playoffs and throws a crucial INT to lose the game AGAIN!!!
    91- Marino led Miami loses last two games to go 8-8 AGAIN!!! Danny boy is fooling everyone piling those meaningless numbers except yours truly... I've been onto him from day one.
    92- Danny boy leads the team to the playoffs (11-5) but chokes against Buffalo for the second time in three years going for his customary 22 of 45 for 268 and 1 and 2 INT's playoff performance. Danny is becoming so easy to predict that the bigtime gamblers cannot wait long enough for the end of the season to come to make a fortune betting on Danny choking AGAIN!!!
    93- Danny was out all year, but the Fins still lost their last 5 games in monumental choke fashion to go 9-7 and miss the Playoffs... AGAIN!!!
    94- This was Danny boy's come back year, team goes 10-6 but Danny cannot get over the hump and loses to San Diego 21-22... Danny also loses to Buffalo twice Again!!!
    95- Yet another 8-8 year by the Danny Fins... they lose 3 out of their last five, win the last two but it's too late. Danny boy is losing it and so is Shula, he gets the boot.
    96- Jimmy's first year Fins go 8-8 and miss the playoffs, the beginning of the end for Danny boy.
    97- Jimmy's Fins back into the playoffs going 9-7 but losing their last two games and also lose to NE in the Wildcard game, Danny throws for 487 yards and one TD versus 2 INT's.. I'm sure he didn't care because at this point in his career it's all about padding his stats and continuing his compiling process.
    98- Miami goes 10-6 but loses crucial games against the Jets and Atlanta at the end of the year, then gets crushed against the Broncos in the playoffs, Danny throws 5 INTS in those 3 crucial games against the best teams in the league that year, typical Marino in the crunch.
    99- What a fitting ending to Marino's career than to lose 6 out of the last 8 games he played in and to go out the way he did against Jacksonville in the immortal 62-7 game in which he threw for 95 whole yards and 1 TD and 2 INT's to end his career... Jimmy quit and so did Danny after that one.

Marino's career is full of shining moments, but in the end he never came thru in the clutch. Some blame the defense while others blame the running game, some say it was Shula's or Jimmy's fault, very few are objective enough to see how unclutch Marino was when it most counted, yes he led a myriad of comebacks, but they usually came against the weak sisters of the league and rarely in the playoffs. He goes down in my book as one of the most overrated players of our era, a true compiler in every sense of the word and a big time choke job.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do your thing Slik. Now bring some of that knowledge and show Penny is the best QB to play for the Fins since Griese. I know you can do it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ehhhhh eerrrrr, as much is it pains me to say it. Danny boy carried that team for a looooong time. The team had nothing and he brought them to the playoffs, SB etc. You can't say he's overrated on this one... as much as I hate him and the dolphins.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The whole world was singing his praises in the meantime Danny was missing the playoffs consecutively in 86,87,88,89 then he missed the 91,95 and 96 seasons and got hurt in 94. You take away the 84 season and what do you have? Fran Tarkenton went to the SB 4 times and lost but he got there. Jim Kelly too and Kelly won a lot more playoff games than Marino, true he had better teams but a lot of it was him. Montana, Elway, Kelly, Aikman, Young, Moon, Favre were clearly better than Marino, they won more, they choked less, yes even Moon. Boomer Esiason won more games in the late 80's than Marino and went to a SB from 88 to 90 in those 3 years Boomer outplayed Marino and won more games.

I know his apologists will come in droves and blame it on the running game, but I was there and I saw how Marino would change the play at the line over and over and pass angering the hell out of Shula and Stevens. I witnessed how he would berate his receivers and how he would never accept the blame for anything, this was evident from the way he conducted himself after a loss. Shula could never curb his tendencies and Jimmy couldn't either.

Also if you were there like I was and if you witnessed those games like I did you would know that Marino would get rattled and lose his touch and accuracy the moment he faced a strong pass rush. He rarely got sacked because they protected the hell out of him to the detriment of the running game, but the moment he got even one hard hit he would become a totally different player. His balls would flutter or hit the ground, his timing would be off and he would force it and throw it into coverage, he would become a poor man's Vinny. Kelly, Aikman, Montana, Young, Elway, Favre those guys always handled pressure much better than Marino and were more mobile too and knew how to utilize the running game, Marino hated to hand the ball off and he's said it many times, his arrogance was his undoing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
    Do your thing Slik. Now bring some of that knowledge and show Penny is the best QB to play for the Fins since Griese. I know you can do it.

**** Penny man! I can care less at this point, if you think I'm still sweating Pennington you are so wrong it's not even funny. I said my peace about that, now it's time to shut the hell out of these Dolfans, nothing more annoying than a cocky Dolfan. Penny's dead to me I hate that team with a passion, he has to go down!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The whole world was singing his praises in the meantime Danny was missing the playoffs consecutively in 86,87,88,89 then he missed the 91,95 and 96 seasons and got hurt in 94. You take away the 84 season and what do you have? Fran Tarkenton went to the SB 4 times and lost but he got there. Jim Kelly too and Kelly won a lot more playoff games than Marino, true he had better teams but a lot of it was him. Montana, Elway, Kelly, Aikman, Young, Moon, Favre were clearly better than Marino, they won more, they choked less, yes even Moon. Boomer Esiason won more games in the late 80's than Marino and went to a SB from 88 to 90 in those 3 years Boomer outplayed Marino and won more games.

I know his apologists will come in droves and blame it on the running game, but I was there and I saw how Marino would change the play at the line over and over and pass angering the hell out of Shula and Stevens. I witnessed how he would berate his receivers and how he would never accept the blame for anything, this was evident from the way he conducted himself after a loss. Shula could never curb his tendencies and Jimmy couldn't either.

Also if you were there like I was and if you witnessed those games like I did you would know that Marino would get rattled and lose his touch and accuracy the moment he faced a strong pass rush. He rarely got sacked because they protected the hell out of him to the detriment of the running game, but the moment he got even one hard hit he would become a totally different player. His balls would flutter or hit the ground, his timing would be off and he would force it and throw it into coverage, he would become a poor man's Vinny. Kelly, Aikman, Montana, Young, Elway, Favre those guys always handled pressure much better than Marino and were more mobile too and knew how to utilize the running game, Marino hated to hand the ball off and he's said it many times, his arrogance was his undoing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I give you credit, you're consistently wrong about the QB position.

Marino is without a doubt one of the great NFL passers of all time. He was magnificent and as much as I hate to say it one of the biggest mistakes the Jets front office every made was passing on him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post

Well stated and I agree. I was there when Ol' No RING was as arrogant as can be when he was on the 2 yard line and the Jets sucked. He had a choice: run or pass! The stat-compiler chose PASS as always and threw an INT. O'Brien somehow beat him in O/T. The BLOWFISH were knocked out of first place! GO JETS!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    marino was a great passer but maybe not the best qb or even in the top ten. the bottom line is he never won. now maybe he gets way too much credit for not winning but then he also gets too much credit for wahtever successes the doltfins had.

but the bottm line is that if marino performed so poorly in the cltch or the doltfins were never able to develop a run game just how is that marino's fault. wasn't shulaface running the show? if he couldn't control marino then he should have launched him. in the mid 80's i bet he could have gotten two number 1's for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    No other QB struck as much fear in my Jets loving head than Dan Marino. Even when he had bad teams, I thought he'd beat the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geez, the insanity striking these kids today.

Slik, too bad you never saw him play, you would have a much different opinion of him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Geez, the insanity striking these kids today.

Slik, too bad you never saw him play, you would have a much different opinion of him.

I moved to Miami in 84, so I saw almost every single one of his games. The guy was a choke job waiting to happen, but he was a media darling because of his stat compiling. He created fame breaking all kinds of passing records, but he won very little when it counted. The running game could never flourish as long as Marino was the QB, the defense could never get any rest either. Great passer, terrible game manager and one of the biggest chokers ever in the history of the NFL. Do the work yourself, look at each individual season one by one and how they ended and you'll see a pattern emerge. He was always great at the start of the season but then would melt toward the end and miss the playoffs or get bounced usually in the first round.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I moved to Miami in 84, so I saw almost every single one of his games. The guy was a choke job waiting to happen, but he was a media darling because of his stat compiling. He created fame breaking all kinds of passing records, but he won very little when it counted. The running game could never flourish as long as Marino was the QB, the defense could never get any rest either. Great passer, terrible game manager and one of the biggest chokers ever in the history of the NFL. Do the work yourself, look at each individual season one by one and how they ended and you'll see a pattern emerge. He was always great at the start of the season but then would melt toward the end and miss the playoffs or get bounced usually in the first round.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Best pure passer/release/footwork/leader/quarterback I have ever seen.

And I saw him play at Pitt, so I've been watching him a LONG time too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    On third down and short and in goal line situations, Marino would always audible at the line and change the play, if it called for a run he would constantly pass instead. Shula grew very tired of Marino in the late 80's then he learned to live with it. The reason they could never establish a running game was because Marino would never allow it, he absolutely hated to hand the ball off and he looked like a wounded duck handing the ball off, easily the most awkward I've ever seen at handing off the ball.

In Jimmy's first year when Kareem Abdul Jabbar led the league in rushing TD's, Marino lost focus and a feud began between him and Jimmy, he hated to see his stats suffer and he played very uninspired football, these are the things you will never hear from the mass media, but I was there following it from day to day for years and hearing people complain about it. If you followed Marino's career closely over the years these ugly patterns become evident. A lot of the reasons why Miami didn't win more was because of Marino, as odd and strange as that sounds. Compilers hurt teams more than they help sometimes.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    either this is a joke or you know little about the quarterback position

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Overrated/Underrated

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Ehhhhh eerrrrr, as much is it pains me to say it. Danny boy carried that team for a looooong time. The team had nothing and he brought them to the playoffs, SB etc. You can't say he's overrated on this one... as much as I hate him and the dolphins.
    I've always found this conversation interesting ... the thing is, the words "overrated" and "underrated" mean different things to different people. If someone says to me that Joe Namath is the greatest quarterback that ever played the game, then I'd have to say he's overrated. If someone said that he gets credit for one game against Baltimore, and shouldn't be in the HOF, I'd say he's underrated. It just depends on the context.

In my opinion, Dan Marino is overrated as it pertains to team accomplishments. If there were a quarterback contest in which you could pick three guys to throw footballs through a tire, knock down targets, that kind of thing -- then Marino would probably be on my list. But if you asked me to pick a quarterback to lead my team in one season or one game, Marino wouldn't even make my top 10.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreemanMC View Post
    I've always found this conversation interesting ... the thing is, the words "overrated" and "underrated" mean different things to different people. If someone says to me that Joe Namath is the greatest quarterback that ever played the game, then I'd have to say he's overrated. If someone said that he gets credit for one game against Baltimore, and shouldn't be in the HOF, I'd say he's underrated. It just depends on the context.

In my opinion, Dan Marino is overrated as it pertains to team accomplishments. If there were a quarterback contest in which you could pick three guys to throw footballs through a tire, knock down targets, that kind of thing -- then Marino would probably be on my list. But if you asked me to pick a quarterback to lead my team in one season or one game, Marino wouldn't even make my top 10.

Exactly, I never worried about Marino and Miami during the season, I knew Danny boy would find a way to choke in the end.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    as much as i hated it when he played Dan is the greatest QB ever in my mind. That is until peyton hangs it up.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I never feared any quarterback like I feared Dan Marino. No lead was ever safe. He was the devil in shoulderpads.

If you some him play, and don't think he was one of the all-time greats, you don't know anything about football.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    84- This was his best season ever, he went to the SB, but he went 29-50 for 318 1-2 and choked when it counted most (the SB!)... it was only a sign of things to come.
    85- Against the Patriots at home in the rain, he chokes and goes 20-48 for 248 and 2-2, the Pats were smacking him early and often and he cracked.
    86- Chokes again against the Pats in the final game of the season and misses the playoffs, team goes 8-8.
    87- Goes 8-7 in the strike shortened season and loses to NE for the third straight time in the last game of the season to miss the playoffs... Goes 21 of 37 for 243 yards and 1-2 and gets outplayed by Grogan... AGAIN!
    88- Team goes 6-10 and there are rumors Shula is tired of Marino's antics and wants to trade him to the Steelers. Marino like always never owns up to failure.
    89- A complete Marino collapse...AGAIN! Marino led Miami loses 4 out of their last 5 games and misses the playoffs, Marino throws 6 INTS in those games and blows leads to miss the playoffs, Marino proves to be one of the biggest choke job artists in the league, team goes 8-8 that season... AGAIN!!!

The mid to late 80's were brutal to Miami and Marino, but very few people take note of that because of his inflated stats which would melt the moment he faced a real defense.

90- Miami goes 12-4 due in large part to a stingy defense, but Marino pulls another choke against Buffalo in the second round of the playoffs and throws a crucial INT to lose the game AGAIN!!!
    91- Marino led Miami loses last two games to go 8-8 AGAIN!!! Danny boy is fooling everyone piling those meaningless numbers except yours truly... I've been onto him from day one.
    92- Danny boy leads the team to the playoffs (11-5) but chokes against Buffalo for the second time in three years going for his customary 22 of 45 for 268 and 1 and 2 INT's playoff performance. Danny is becoming so easy to predict that the bigtime gamblers cannot wait long enough for the end of the season to come to make a fortune betting on Danny choking AGAIN!!!
    93- Danny was out all year, but the Fins still lost their last 5 games in monumental choke fashion to go 9-7 and miss the Playoffs... AGAIN!!!
    94- This was Danny boy's come back year, team goes 10-6 but Danny cannot get over the hump and loses to San Diego 21-22... Danny also loses to Buffalo twice Again!!!
    95- Yet another 8-8 year by the Danny Fins... they lose 3 out of their last five, win the last two but it's too late. Danny boy is losing it and so is Shula, he gets the boot.
    96- Jimmy's first year Fins go 8-8 and miss the playoffs, the beginning of the end for Danny boy.
    97- Jimmy's Fins back into the playoffs going 9-7 but losing their last two games and also lose to NE in the Wildcard game, Danny throws for 487 yards and one TD versus 2 INT's.. I'm sure he didn't care because at this point in his career it's all about padding his stats and continuing his compiling process.
    98- Miami goes 10-6 but loses crucial games against the Jets and Atlanta at the end of the year, then gets crushed against the Broncos in the playoffs, Danny throws 5 INTS in those 3 crucial games against the best teams in the league that year, typical Marino in the crunch.
    99- What a fitting ending to Marino's career than to lose 6 out of the last 8 games he played in and to go out the way he did against Jacksonville in the immortal 62-7 game in which he threw for 95 whole yards and 1 TD and 2 INT's to end his career... Jimmy quit and so did Danny after that one.

Marino's career is full of shining moments, but in the end he never came thru in the clutch. Some blame the defense while others blame the running game, some say it was Shula's or Jimmy's fault, very few are objective enough to see how unclutch Marino was when it most counted, yes he led a myriad of comebacks, but they usually came against the weak sisters of the league and rarely in the playoffs. He goes down in my book as one of the most overrated players of our era, a true compiler in every sense of the word and a big time choke job.
    Beautifully done, a work of art. If you'd like me to, I'd be happy to post over at Finheaven.com as I'm a forum member there.

As I always tell my Dolphin friends:

"If you want credit as the Winningest Team Of All Time, then you need to accept the mantle as the Losingest Playoff Team Of All Time."

SAR I