Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A woman's take on Gov. Palin's speech

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

A woman's take on Gov. Palin's speech

I posted this in another thread, but I figured it was worth starting a new one. What were your wife's/GF's reactions? Obviously hard-core GOPers like JetsBabe will be very pleased... and hard-core Dems will not. But what about other moderates or lean Dem or lean GOP? or Hillary supporters? you know... the true swing targets of the McCain camp when they picked Gov. Palin. (Obviously a big part of McCain picking her was to solidify the base, which it did help but it's strange that this late in the game he would even have to!)... without further ado:

my wife, from a family of GOPers and who voted for Bush in 2000 and Dole in 1996, was this year a Hillary supporter (against all my advice mind you! hehe). You could say that she is a prime target of McCain when he selected Gov. Palin for his running mate, right? Well she watched all the prime-time Dem speeches, and now all the GOP ones... so after Gov. Palin finished and we were discussing our thoughts on how she did, etc.

the first thing she said was, "wow, that wasn't a very nice speech about the Dems and Obama... in fact it was a big turn-off"

I said, "well what did you expect, her to pat them on the back?"

she said, "no not really... but it was way overboard to me"

not sure if other ladies and targets of the McCain felt the same as my wife, but if it did play that way with a good chunk of that part of the electorate... McCain campaign may have made a major error...

oh yeah, fyi she's undecided at the moment and as far as I can tell not leaning one way or another... she doesn't follow this stuff closely at all so she is just started to figure out whom she wants... so far I've had no luck on the write-in of The Good Doctor Ron Paul front

I realize this is anecdotal so take it as such... but I thought I'd share... what about you all?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    no she's seen most (if not all) of the stuff recently... she just doesn't live and breathe politics like I do (watching this campaign for years now)... but she has started getting into it since the Dem convention and started speaking with my family (more liberal) and her family (very conservative) about everything... so I'd say she's definitely up to date on everything

what about your wife?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't follow the conventions or much of any of the hot air both candidates spew forth, but I just don't get this one-

The choice of Palin was supposed to get Hillary supporters to McCains side???

Palin is NOTHING like Hillary (positions on things are about polar opposites), and I just don't get how or why anyone supporting Hillary would now vote for the McCain ticket?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife didn't watch it, but she likes Palin so far. But, she was never really an "independent" voter. She hates McCain and wasn't going to vote for him (was going to write in Romney) but now she's going to vote for McCain because of Palin. She is more conservative than I am, if that can be believed. She'd never vote for a Dem....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2726422]My wife didn't watch it, but she likes Palin so far. But, she was never really an "independent" voter. She hates McCain and wasn't going to vote for him (was going to write in Romney) but now she's going to vote for McCain because of Palin. [b]She is more conservative than I am, if that can be believed.[/b] She'd never vote for a Dem....[/QUOTE]

holy sh!t I hope I don't meet her in a dark alley! :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I hadn't seen this when I posted my thoughts. I loved the way Palin went after them last night and think it is another double standard that people feel she should have been all lady-like and nice. The job of the VP is to get his/her hands dirty during the campaign and say things they don't want the top guy to say and she did her job. Throw in the fact that she has been personally attacked and I think it was even more deserved.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2726439]holy sh!t I hope I don't meet her in a dark alley! :D[/QUOTE]

I know. Compared to her, I'm Karl Marx.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife made some interesting comments (she was an active Hillary supporter):

"She carries a gun and hunts! How many women are going to relate to that! The idea of shooting defenseless animals disgusts me."

"Hillary earned what she got. That's why I like her. She fought for it. Palin was just grabbed because she's a woman."

Watch out for the female backlash. They know a pander job when they are served one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2726520]My wife made some interesting comments (she was an active Hillary supporter):

"She carries a gun and hunts! How many women are going to relate to that! The idea of shooting defenseless animals disgusts me."

"Hillary earned what she got. That's why I like her. She fought for it. Palin was just grabbed because she's a woman."

Watch out for the female backlash. They know a pander job when they are served one.[/QUOTE]

my mom said the same thing about the pander job... but she wasn't a Hilary supporter. Unfortunately for her (and I), we have no candidate this year... I'm forced to write in The Good Doctor Ron Paul...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2726529]my mom said the same thing about the pander job... but she wasn't a Hilary supporter. Unfortunately for her (and I), we have no candidate this year... I'm forced to write in The Good Doctor Ron Paul...[/QUOTE]

I forgot one interesting comment, that I didn't fully agree with, but hey, I'm not a woman:

"How can she be running for vice president when she's got a Down's Syndrome child at home that needs her? Where are her family values?"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2726535]I forgot one interesting comment, that I didn't fully agree with, but hey, I'm not a woman:

"How can she be running for vice president when she's got a Down's Syndrome child at home that needs her? Where are her family values?"[/QUOTE]

allegedly has a DS child ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2726520]My wife made some interesting comments (she was an active Hillary supporter):

[B]"Hillary earned what she got. That's why I like her. She fought for it. [/B]Palin was just grabbed because she's a woman."

Watch out for the female backlash. They know a pander job when they are served one.[/QUOTE]

Really? She got where she was because of her husband. She did a decent job once she got ther but she didn't earn it. Would NY ever have elected her if she just showed up out of the blue from Arkansas and ran for senate? I don't think so.

The fact that Palin is a woman was probably a huge part of why McCain picker her, no doubt, but she is an asset to his ticket and earned...on her own...the Governorship of a state.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChadLover;2726545]Really? She got where she was because of her husband. She did a decent job once she got ther but she didn't earn it. Would NY ever have elected her if she just showed up out of the blue from Arkansas and ran for senate? I don't think so.

The fact that Palin is a woman was probably a huge part of why McCain picker her, no doubt, but she is an asset to his ticket and earned...on her own...the Governorship of a state.[/QUOTE]

technically she wouldn't have come out of Arkansas if it wasn't for Bill either :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChadLover;2726545]Really? She got where she was because of her husband. She did a decent job once she got ther but she didn't earn it. Would NY ever have elected her if she just showed up out of the blue from Arkansas and ran for senate? I don't think so.

The fact that Palin is a woman was probably a huge part of why McCain picker her, no doubt, but she is an asset to his ticket and earned...on her own...the Governorship of a state.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, that's utterly wrong and you must know it. Hillary was a pretty high-powered lawyer and policy activist prior-to and regardless of Bill's career. I would agree that her position as first lady got her into a spotlight that aided her NY Senate run, but she sustained that beyond one term and followed up by running a very hard race to be president. Palin has her two-year term as governor of the 47th largest state by population; can't deny her that. But she didn't go through the wringer of a national campaign over nearly a year with the tremendous scrutiny and stress that comes with it. There's really no comparison at all.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChadLover;2726453]Sorry, I hadn't seen this when I posted my thoughts. I loved the way Palin went after them last night and think it is another double standard that people feel she should have been all lady-like and nice. The job of the VP is to get his/her hands dirty during the campaign and say things they don't want the top guy to say and she did her job. Throw in the fact that she has been personally attacked and I think it was even more deserved.[/QUOTE]

Do you think that the "personal attacks" on Palin thus far have been worse than what has been leveled at Obama by the right wing for the past few months?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2726253]Thanks for sharing that, tanginius, but I do have one question, you said your wife doesn't follow this stuff very closely, so would it be safe to assume that she wasn't fully aware of the extent of the vicious and relentless attacks on Palin and her family over the past few days leading up to this speech?

I think that would make a difference because it adds a whole new context

As [B][U]democratic strategist[/U][/B] Kirsten Powers said ...

[COLOR="Red"]Had the media not been viciously attacking her family for the last few days, the speech might've seemed too tough.

With that backdrop, it was more than appropriate.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]The Obama camp also gave her the perfect chance to smack it around for being elitists - since its first response to John McCain picking her was to ridicule the size of her home town.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

HUH?

Obama took the high road and refused to discuss Palin's daughter and her family.. yet Palin comes out and delivers ridicule and false accusations about Obama and his record? and you justify this because the media was harsh on her?

and for the record, being mayor of a 7000 person town just two years ago IS a concern for someone we're considering to put one step away from the presidency - that's in no way 'elitist', it's a valid concern.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SDJETS;2726580]Do you think that the "personal attacks" on Palin thus far have been worse than what has been leveled at Obama by the right wing for the past few months?[/QUOTE]

Which ones are you referring to specifically? Rev Wright? That is fair game to me and Obama handled it horribly. It is unrealistic to think he sat there for so many years and never heard any of that and if he disagreed with it he should have left.

Michelle's comments about being proud of America for the first time are also fair game because she said it on the campaign trail. I am inclined to think it was just a poor choice of words but she did say them and has to live with it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChadLover;2726617]Which ones are you referring to specifically? Rev Wright? That is fair game to me and Obama handled it horribly. It is unrealistic to think he sat there for so many years and never heard any of that and if he disagreed with it he should have left.

Michelle's comments about being proud of America for the first time are also fair game because she said it on the campaign trail. I am inclined to think it was just a poor choice of words but she did say them and has to live with it.[/QUOTE]

As far as I can see, nobody has yet to question Palin's patriotism, citizenship, religion, make fun of her name, call her a racist, bash her for not wearing a US flag (despite her not wearing one), attack her husband, attack her mother and on and on...

So thus far they have said that perhaps Palin shouldn't claim the moral ascendancy on family values while parading around her unwed pregnant daughter, and have questioned why she is currently being investigated for ethical violations?

Again, you are of course welcome to see it anyway you like, but the notion that the media has attacked Palin on some personal level and given Obama a free pass is laughable, as is the notion that personal matters must all of a sudden be off limits after months of some of the most vicious and hurtful personal attacks against Obama by these same people...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SDJETS;2726632]As far as I can see, nobody has yet to question Palin's patriotism, citizenship, religion, make fun of her name, call her a racist, bash her for not wearing a US flag (despite her not wearing one), attack her husband, attack her mother and on and on...

So thus far they have said that perhaps Palin shouldn't claim the moral ascendancy on family values while parading around her unwed pregnant daughter, and have questioned why she is currently being investigated for ethical violations?

Again, you are of course welcome to see it anyway you like, but the notion that the media has attacked Palin on some personal level and given Obama a free pass is laughable, as is the notion that personal matters must all of a sudden be off limits after months of some of the most vicious and hurtful personal attacks against Obama by these same people...[/QUOTE]

she had an Israeli flag pin on though! lol

think that had anything to do with all the news stories about Jewish voters being nervous about her?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SDJETS;2726632]As far as I can see, nobody has yet to question Palin's patriotism, citizenship, religion, make fun of her name, call her a racist, bash her for not wearing a US flag (despite her not wearing one), attack her husband, attack her mother and on and on...

So thus far they have said that perhaps Palin shouldn't claim the moral ascendancy on family values [B]while parading around her unwed pregnant daughter[/B], and have questioned why she is currently being investigated for ethical violations?

Again, you are of course welcome to see it anyway you like, but the notion that the media has attacked Palin on some personal level and given Obama a free pass is laughable, as is the notion that personal matters must all of a sudden be off limits after months of some of the most vicious and hurtful personal attacks against Obama by these same people...[/QUOTE]

Should she be locked in a closet or sent to boarding school until she gives birth? She was forced to make the announcement to prove that it was physically impossible for Bristol to have given birth to Trig.

The gril is attending the most important event in their family's history...is that parading her around??