Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Chick's Point of View on Palin

All Pro

A Chick's Point of View on Palin

By way of background I consider myself a fiscal conservative and social liberal. My stance on some of the major issues are as follows:

[LIST][*]Reduced Goverment Spending[*]Lower Taxes for people and businesses[*]Strong homeland security (even if it means we have to give up some of our rights)[*]Pro-choice[*]Pro-gay marriage[/LIST]

I hate George Bush because he f'ed up the war (which I agreed with to start) and has put us in a mountain of debt.

I would not consider myself a feminist in any way shape or form. I do think women (and everyone else for that matter) deserve equal pay for equal work but don't think we deserve more just because we are women. I hated Hillary and would never vote for her just because she is a woman. In fact I voted for Obama in the primary as an anti-Hillary vote. I would prefer if every family had a parent that stayed at home with young chidlren but see no reason why it should have to be the mom and think more families could if they just sacrificed a bit more.

I am not a fan of either McCain (flip-flopper) or Obama (too much fluff) and up until now have been undecided.

I think the way the Dems are treating the Palin pick is so hypocritical it is not even funny. They belittle her experience which is pretty much on par with Obama's. I agree that the VP needs to be competent and ready to step in, especially considering McCain is a geezer, but why is she less qualified than Obama? Obama has been on the campaign train practically longer than he has been in the Senate. How much foreign policy experience does he really have? And he is running for President!

I despise the way the liberal media are treating her family. It is embarassing. Obama has a young family, do they question whether he would have enough time to be a good dad should he win? No, and it is this double standard that is so frustrating to me. Sarah has a husband that could stay with the kids just like Michelle would but no one even seems to consider this.

Having said that, there are a lot of things they are asking about and that they have every right to ask about like trooper-gate. That should absolutely be investigated but if true that the trooper used his taser on his kid because the kid asked him too among the other things that were noted than he should have been fired whether or not he was her ex-brother-in-law.

I hate Palin's pro-life stance, especially in the case of rape and incest. I respect and even admire her choice to have her baby even though she knew he had DS but what I love is that she actually had the choice. I am concerned that the next president may have a huge impact on the make-up of the Supreme Court and that there is a big potential that the Republicans would nominate pro-life justices but with a Democratic congress I think it would be very difficult to confirm them.

Anyway, having watched her last night, I couldn't help but really, really like her. I will vote for McCain, hope he wins and only serves four years and that she runs in 2012.

I just hope Joe Biden doesn't eat her for lunch during the debates :D. I get the feeling she will hold her own.

Up until now I thought Obama would run away with this election and he might still but if Palin inspires the GOP base in a way that McCain obviously didn't, watch out. Bush beat Kerry even though he was doing a terrible job because the base showed up for him. This is going to be fun.

Hall Of Fame
    thanks for sharing!

except for the whole giving up rights bs!

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." Benjamin Franklin

;)
    Last edited by King Ryan; 09-04-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Good stuff, ChadLover, thanks for your input.

[QUOTE=ChadLover;2726436]
    Up until now I thought Obama would run away with this election and he might still but if Palin inspires the GOP base in a way that McCain obviously didn't, watch out. Bush beat Kerry even though he was doing a terrible job because the base showed up for him. This is going to be fun.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more with this statement.

I don't know how much of an impact Palin will have in this election, but I get the feeling she can lead the charge to completely revitalize the GOP down the road. Hers is a great story of a small-town stay at home mom who got into politics because she wanted to make her town a better place to live. She achieved her goals, picked up momentum, and moved on to the next step. And then the next step. And now she's the nominee for Vice President of the United States. I can't think of a superlative to describe that American success story.

She now has the confidence and the ability to attract a whole new demographic of voters to the Republican Party, and will hopefully open the door for other new GOP leaders, men and women, to follow her lead and inject excitement and inspiration back into the conservative base -- and I stress the term conservative, because as the Governor of Alaska she has proven that she is a true Conservative. This could be a new awakening for the GOP in the wake of a truly disappointing Republican Presidency.

After her speech last night, I'm excited about this election but I am so much more optimistic for the future. I'm not saying it will have the same impact as Barry Goldwater in 1964, but the speech we saw last night could prove to be just as historical.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2726472]Good stuff, ChadLover, thanks for your input.

I couldn't agree more with this statement.

I don't know how much of an impact Palin will have in this election, but I get the feeling she can lead the charge to completely revitalize the GOP down the road. Hers is a great story of a small-town stay at home mom who got into politics because she wanted to make her town a better place to live. She achieved her goals, picked up momentum, and moved on to the next step. And then the next step. And now she's the nominee for Vice President of the United States. I can't think of a superlative to describe that American success story.

She now has the confidence and the ability to attract a whole new demographic of voters to the Republican Party, and will hopefully open the door for other new GOP leaders, men and women, to follow her lead and inject excitement and inspiration back into the conservative base -- and I stress the term conservative, because as the Governor of Alaska she has proven that she is a true Conservative. This could be a new awakening for the GOP in the wake of a truly disappointing Republican Presidency.

After her speech last night, I'm excited about this election but I am so much more optimistic for the future. I'm not saying it will have the same impact as Barry Goldwater in 1964, but the speech we saw last night could prove to be just as historical.[/QUOTE]

maybe I'm wrong... but I don't see how a whacko born-again Christian conservative creationist will attract more or new people to the GOP. Are there any other whacko born-again Christian conservatives who aren't already in the GOP or on the right? Because when people learn about her beliefs and positions, those will be the only ones she attracts to the party... no?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2726481]maybe I'm wrong... but I don't see how a whacko born-again Christian conservative creationist will attract more or new people to the GOP. Are there any other whacko born-again Christian conservatives who aren't already in the GOP or on the right? Because when people learn about her beliefs and positions, those will be the only ones she attracts to the party... no?[/QUOTE]

I don't know that she will inspire more but she will inspire the ones that already are to actually vote. The GOP has always been good at getting out the base but I wasn't seeing that with McCain and thought that would be his downfall. She will help.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ChadLover;2726489]I don't know that she will inspire more but she will inspire the ones that already are to actually vote. The GOP has always been good at getting out the base but I wasn't seeing that with McCain and thought that would be his downfall. She will help.[/QUOTE]

no argument there at all! I was only speaking about attracting new voters to the GOP

it also speaks to the troubles McCain faces that he needed, in September mind you, to still shore up his base. Couple that with the depressed base (numbers of GOP voters have declined dramatically, while numbers of Dem voters have expanded) and the prospect of a divide electorate and conquer with a big base win (ala Rove & Bush) being not feasible for the GOP means that alienating independents with a born-again conservative isn't helping his chances. Now obviously he had no chance if he couldn't do well in his base, but to have a real chance he has to do great with his base, good with independents and good with Dems... he may now do great with his base, but he's going to do worse with independents and Dems than had he picked Ridge or Lieberman as he would have liked. In closing, it likely hasn't changed the dynamic of the race with Obama still favored an McCain still the underdog

[QUOTE=ChadLover;2726489]I don't know that she will inspire more but she will inspire the ones that already are to actually vote. The GOP has always been good at getting out the base but I wasn't seeing that with McCain and thought that would be his downfall. She will help.[/QUOTE]

McCain, Bush, Cheney, they were all killing the party.

This is a new face, truly a breath of fresh air. I'm not saying people are going to adhere to all of her principles, but they will be inspired and other young GOPers will be encouraged to get out there and give it a go as well. Bobby Jindal, for example. I have a lot of hope for him.

Veteran

Sure, she might. I do love how just a week ago the Repubs were going on and on about how VP choices don't matter, have no impact etc. Now, forced to come to the defense of such an obviously bad choice, they pull out all the stops and suddenly Palin might just decide the election. Yeah, we'll see...

Funny, all the "Schill" bashers here are so ready to line up right behind a woman who is so much more grating and shrill, and so much more of a schill with less substance than Hillary. Ahhh, hypocrasy at its finest...

And Chadlover, I am very surprised that you call yourself socially liberal and yet would want Palin elected. You can't be all that supportive of women's rights or gay marriage, or rather, those obviously are at the bottom of your priority list...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SDJETS;2726516]Sure, she might. I do love how just a week ago the Repubs were going on and on about how VP choices don't matter, have no impact etc. Now, forced to come to the defense of such an obviously bad choice, they pull out all the stops and suddenly Palin might just decide the election. Yeah, we'll see...

Funny, all the "Schill" bashers here are so ready to line up right behind a woman who is so much more grating and shrill, and so much more of a schill with less substance than Hillary. Ahhh, hypocrasy at its finest...

[b]And Chadlover, I am very surprised that you call yourself socially liberal and yet would want Palin elected. You can't be all that supportive of women's rights or gay marriage, or rather, those obviously are at the bottom of your priority list...[/b][/QUOTE]

they literally are if you look at her first post :D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SDJETS;2726516]Sure, she might. I do love how just a week ago the Repubs were going on and on about how VP choices don't matter, have no impact etc. Now, forced to come to the defense of such an obviously bad choice, they pull out all the stops and suddenly Palin might just decide the election. Yeah, we'll see...

And Chadlover, I am very surprised that you call yourself socially liberal and yet would want Palin elected. You can't be all that supportive of women's rights or gay marriage, or rather, [B]those obviously are at the bottom of your priority list...[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes they are at the bottom of the list. I am not gay. I do think they have the right to marry and if it was up to me they would be able to and it may sound terrible but if I have to choose between that and lower taxes and fiscal conservatism I choose the latter as that impacts my day to day life. If I were gay it would probably top my priority list. Just being honest here...even though it makes me sound very selfish....which I suppose I am.

As for women's rights, I admitted that I am conflicted but do not think that Roe v. Wade will be overturned. I do not think the Democratic congress would not allow a pro-life justice (let alone more than one) to be confirmed.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2726524]
    [B]That's a Great Post, you're pretty smart, I'm impressed[/B]

Not as smart as me, but close enough to play in my sandbox :D[/QUOTE]

Would you say that to a man?? :D ;) Kidding.

[QUOTE] Chad Lover: I despise the way the liberal media are treating her family. It is embarassing. Obama has a young family, do they question whether he would have enough time to be a good dad should he win? No, and it is this double standard that is so frustrating to me. Sarah has a husband that could stay with the kids just like Michelle would but no one even seems to consider this.[/QUOTE]
    I will ask you the same question I asked Ham. Tell me who in the liberal media and what exactly they said that has angered you so much. Please be specific.

Also if you truly think that Obama and Palin have the same experience you don't know enough about either of them to make that judgement.

Does going to Harvard Law School mean anything to you? I have 2 kids in law school and you know how bright you have to be to get into Harvard? Before you tell me he got in because he's black, he did not put his race on his application when he could of so he got in on merit.

Do you know how bright you have to be to make Law Review? The very elite of the class. Then he was it's editor.

Another words he was the best of the best and brightest of the whole country. Does that mean anything? Is intelligence not relevant?

To say that the mayor of a 6000 person town is equal to that is absurd.

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2726540]
    Does going to Harvard Law School mean anything to you? I have 2 kids in law school and you know how bright you have to be to get into Harvard? Before you tell me he got in because he's black, he did not put his race on his application when he could of so he got in on merit.

Do you know how bright you have to be to make Law Review? The very elite of the class. Then he was it's editor.

Another words he was the best of the best and brightest of the whole country. Does that mean anything? Is intelligence not relevant?

To say that the mayor of a 6000 person town is equal to that is absurd.[/QUOTE]

That sounds a little elitist if you ask me, and like I said in my post in this thread, it makes Palin's accomplishments even more impressive. She didn't go to an ivy league law school and she wasn't groomed for politics her entire life. She joined the political scene to make a better life for her family and just took off from there. It really is like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

I'll you something right now -- a lot of schmucks and failures can go to Harvard Law School, too. Look at Michael Dukakis. I don't look down upon education and would love to go to graduate school myself, but Harvard Law School doesn't carry any magical weight in my mind. I'm not enraptured by diplomas hanging on a wall.

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2726540]I will ask you the same question I asked Ham. Tell me who in the liberal media and what exactly they said that has angered you so much. Please be specific.

Also if you truly think that Obama and Palin have the same experience you don't know enough about either of them to make that judgement.

Wow, I am so impressed with Obama. :zzz: I'm not voing for someone just because they went to Harvard...give me a break. McCain will get my vote without hesitation.

Tell me, is your life worse off than it was 8 years ago? And you have two kids in law school? Hey, sounds like you're really hurting.

And if the economy is so freaken bad, how the hell is the talking head able to raise millions of dollars?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2726540]I will ask you the same question I asked Ham. Tell me who in the liberal media and what exactly they said that has angered you so much. Please be specific.

How about speculation that the kid isn't hers? How about comments that she needs to be a good mom and how can she do that and still be the VP? How about questioning whether or not Biden should change his debate strategy because he is now debating a woman?

I said Obama did not have a lot of experience, I didn't say he wasn't smart. College, whether it is Harvard or Brookdale Community College does not equal foreign policy experience. I never said he wasn't smart and of course intelligence is relevant but there are plenty of smart people out there that went to good schools and are not qualified to be president and there are plenty of smart people that did not go to Ivy League schools that are qualified. Bush went to Yale and Harvard...game, set, match.

And to assume I would say Obama got in because he is black is insulting.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=NIGHT STALKER;2726594]Tell me, is your life worse off than it was 8 years ago? And you have two kids in law school? Hey, sounds like you're really hurting.[/QUOTE]

personally no it's better than 8 years ago, but NONE of that is due to Bush et al and all do to my own actions, negotiations, drive and resourcefulness... anything affecting my life from Bush as the source got worse in these 8 years including tax cuts due to my generation (and my kids, and their kids, etc) having to pay for that down the road (and besides I just donate all that to fighting Bush & supporting the environment so I didn't see any of it)

[QUOTE=pauliec;2726547]That sounds a little elitist if you ask me, and like I said in my post in this thread, it makes Palin's accomplishments even more impressive. She didn't go to an ivy league law school and she wasn't groomed for politics her entire life. She joined the political scene to make a better life for her family and just took off from there. It really is like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.
    [/QUOTE]

This is such bs Paulie. Trying to get the very best education that you possibly can is elitist? Well then call me an elitist and I want my President to be one also. What's wrong with that?

So any governor who did not go to an ivy league school is to be admired for their accomplishments while those that did are elitists?

If a lot of people think like you do, and apparently they do because the Rep. are attacking Obama in this line, then its no wonder this country is in trouble.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=ChadLover;2726534]Yes they are at the bottom of the list. I am not gay. I do think they have the right to marry and if it was up to me they would be able to and it may sound terrible but if I have to choose between that and lower taxes and fiscal conservatism I choose the latter as that impacts my day to day life. If I were gay it would probably top my priority list. Just being honest here...even though it makes me sound very selfish....which I suppose I am.

As for women's rights, I admitted that I am conflicted but do not think that Roe v. Wade will be overturned. I do not think the Democratic congress would not allow a pro-life justice (let alone more than one) to be confirmed.[/QUOTE]

No that makes sense, everyone is selfish in terms of their priorities. That's why its different for everyone. Perfectly reasonable. It just seems that you are far more fiscally conservative than socially liberal. In fact, I would place you right smack in the middle of social values, no?

In any case, I would beg to differ about Roe V Wade. As we saw with Bush, its pretty easy to throw a nominee for justice up there who is quite conservative but has very little to warrant a non-confirmation. With possibly 3 justices retiring in the next 4 years, you should be VERY concerned about it being overturned.

But again, if it is on the bottom of your list of priorities, it makes you far less left leaning than you implied. Right to choose is pretty much the top marker for being socially liberal...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2726603]it's better than 8 years ago, but NONE of that is due to GOVERNMENT and all do to my own actions, negotiations, drive and resourcefulness...[/QUOTE]

Repeat that exact phrase 100,000,000,000 to every Socialist Liberal you meet till they understand it, and maybe we can REALLY start to get along Tanny.:yes:

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2726608]This is such bs Paulie. Trying to get the very best education that you possibly can is elitist? Well then call me an elitist and I want my President to be one also. What's wrong with that?

So any governor who did not go to an ivy league school is to be admired for their accomplishments while those that did are elitists?

If a lot of people think like you do, and apparently they do because the Rep. are attacking Obama in this line, then its no wonder this country is in trouble.[/QUOTE]

Didn't you know that in the US, its cool to be dumb? Being smart just means you are a nerd, and we HATE NERDS! I mean, gosh, who wants a leader whose smart?

The anti-intellectual strain of this election and the past 8 years is amazing.

I find being richer than Crassus and not knowing how many homes you own to be far more elitist than going to a good college, but hey, thats just me I guess