Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $30B Gas pipeline is "God's Will"?

All League

$30B Gas pipeline is "God's Will"?

[URL]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_iraq_war[/URL]

Palin: Iraq war 'a task that is from God'
    By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer[I]Wed Sep 3, 7:23 PM ET[/I]

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.
    "Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

A video of the speech was posted at the Wasilla Assembly of God's Web site before finding its way on to other sites on the Internet.
    Palin told graduating students of the church's School of Ministry, "What I need to do is strike a deal with you guys." As they preached the love of Jesus throughout Alaska, she said, she'd work to implement God's will from the governor's office, including creating jobs by building a pipeline to bring North Slope natural gas to North American markets.

"God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.

"I can do my job there in developing our natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded," she added. "But really all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

Palin attended the evangelical church from the time she was a teenager until 2002, the church said in a statement posted on its Web site. She has continued to attend special conferences and meetings there. Religious conservatives have welcomed her selection as John McCain's running mate.

Rob Boston, a spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, lamented Palin's comments.
    "I miss the days when pastors delivered sermons and politicians delivered political speeches," he said. "The United States is increasingly diverse religiously. The job of a president is to unify all those different people and bring them together around policy goals, not to act as a kind of national pastor and bring people to God."

The section of the church's Web site where videos of past sermons were posted was shut down Wednesday, and a message was posted saying that the site "was never intended to handle the traffic it has received in the last few days."
    Last edited by Section109Row15; 09-04-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    isn't it though? I mean really, what else could it be? kind of like how she talks about the Iraq clusterfu[i]c[/i]k in the beginning of the article

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Many of the founding fathers invoked God's name in forming the new nation and fighting the Revolution. As did those in Lincoln's time in preserving the union.

Were they all neo-con wack-job religious fanatics?

Or is the mere mention of religion enough to get liberals all foamed up?

All League
    [QUOTE=Piper;2727099]Many of the founding fathers invoked God's name in forming the new nation and fighting the Revolution. As did those in Lincoln's time in preserving the union.

Or is the mere mention of religion enough to get liberals all foamed up?[/QUOTE]

She's another religious nut job. It's the same rationale Osama bin Laden uses for everything he does.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2727107]She's another religious nut job. It's the same rationale Osama bin Laden uses for everything he does.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for not answering the question. As usual.

I don't recall her calling for death to rain down upon anyone.

So good analogy.:eek:

All League
    [QUOTE=Piper;2727116]I don't recall her calling for death to rain down upon anyone.[/QUOTE]

You'd feel differently if you were an Iraqi whose house was bombed. ;)

All League
    [quote=Piper;2727099]Many of the founding fathers invoked God's name in forming the new nation and fighting the Revolution. As did those in Lincoln's time in preserving the union.

Or is the mere mention of religion enough to get liberals all foamed up?[/quote]

Are you seriously comparing invoking God's will in the fight agaist slavery to God's will to build a pipeline?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Section109Row15;2727175]Are you seriously comparing invoking God's will in the fight agaist slavery to God's will to build a pipeline?[/QUOTE]

come on now... they're both very similar... they both include... well... err... God's will for one

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Section109Row15;2727175]Are you seriously comparing invoking God's will in the fight agaist slavery to God's will to build a pipeline?[/QUOTE]

If it is ridiculous for one, than it is ridiculous for all, no?

All League
    There is ample evidence in the bible to suggest that God would not be in favor of slavery. I think it is safe to say Jesus was/would be against slavery. Where in the bible does it mention anything that would suggest God would be in favor of building a pipeline?

Since everyone is saying Palin hit a "home-run" with her speech, maybe she should have done the finger point to the sky to thank God like athletes do.

[IMG]http://www.drbongs.co.uk/images/blues-brother-metal-sign.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Section109Row15; 09-04-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Seriously, anyone who uses the line "its Gods will" should be automatically banned from any political office

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Section109Row15;2727207]There is ample evidence in the bible to suggest that God would not be in favor of slavery. I think it is safe to say Jesus was/would be against slavery. Where in the bible does it mention anything that would suggest God would be in favor of building a pipeline?

Since everyone is saying Palin hit a "home-run" with her speech, maybe she should have done the finger point to the sky to thank God like athletes do.[/QUOTE]

If the pipeline was somethng that would employ many it the town, for example, it could be seen as very important to those people. And for those religiously inclined, it could be thought of God bestowing his favor on them.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2727213]Seriously, anyone who uses the line "its Gods will" should be automatically banned from any political office[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you weren't around in most of the last 240 years.

All League
    [quote=Piper;2727224]If the pipeline was somethng that would employ many it the town, for example, it could be seen as very important to those people. And for those religiously inclined, it could be thought of God bestowing his favor on them.[/quote]

So by that reasoning I guess anything that creates jobs could be seen as God's will.

Hall Of Fame
    People who sincerely believe in God often think things that happen are God's will. Where's the story here? Are you saying she's unfit because she sincerely believes in God?

[QUOTE=jets5ever;2727284]People who sincerely believe in God often think things that happen are God's will. [B]Where's the story here? [/B]Are you saying she's unfit because she sincerely believes in God?[/QUOTE]

Believing in God is one thing, not being able to separate it from your actions in office is another.

Encouraging creationism discussions in public schools, justifying energy proposals as God's will. The story, put simply, is that she's extremely religious and can't seem to separate that from political ambitions in some aspects. And that is a scary thing.

All League
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2727284]People who sincerely believe in God often think things that happen are God's will. Where's the story here? Are you saying she's unfit because she sincerely believes in God?[/QUOTE]

Was it god's will that Pennington went to the Dolphins?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2727303]Was it god's will that Pennington went to the Dolphins?[/QUOTE]

only if you're ACM :D

All League
    [quote=jets5ever;2727284]People who sincerely believe in God often think things that happen are God's will. Where's the story here? Are you saying she's unfit because she sincerely believes in God?[/quote]

I think that most Christians would have a hard time drawing a parallel between a pipeline and God's will. I think most denominations do not believe that every little thing that happens on earth is God's will.

In the past you have said you are athiest/agnostic and were against things like teaching creationism/ID in classrooms. How can you not be concerned about those quotes? Could you imagine if she had used that justification for the pipeline in her speech last night?

I guess if McCain croaks and Palin becomes president she would rule by divine right then.

I guess god's prewar intel sucked, too.