Thread: 37 Million Watch Palin's speech....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

37 Million Watch Palin's speech....

rather good considering the claims no one knew who she was and 38 million watch the leader sent to us by God Himself......

[QUOTE][B]Sarah Palin scores huge viewership at RNC[/B]

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's highly anticipated speech at the Republican National Convention on Wednesday night nearly matched the record-setting numbers of Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

Palin pulled in 37.2 million viewers across broadcast and cable networks, according to Nielsen Media Research.

That's 55% higher than Day 3 of the DNC, when her Democratic counterpart, Joe Biden, and President Clinton took the stage (24 million).

It's also up a sharp 99% from the Republican convention's third day in 2004 (18.7 million) and easily bests the numbers viewers attracted by George W. Bush when he accepted the nomination (27.6 million). In fact, it came close to upsetting Obama's historic address last Thursday -- the most-watched convention speech in history (38.4 million viewers).

Palin's viewership is up 73% from Tuesday's RNC tally, when 21.5 million tuned in to see President Bush and independent Sen. Joe Lieberman endorse nominee John McCain. The event also drew more female viewers than Hillary Clinton's speech last week.

Palin has been beset by controversy since McCain shocked Beltway insiders by appointing the relatively little-known governor as his vice presidential pick. Her Wednesday night speech was presented as an opportunity to address her skeptics.

Reaction to Palin's speech was very positive: "Sarah Palin's perfect premiere" ... "connects with people in a way few politicians can" ... "Palin was stunning" ... "Palin sets high bar for McCain" ... as some have noted, the AP says some lines in the speech didn't pass their fact check. Here's the speech and video.

UPDATE: Cable news network estimates show Fox News is out in front with 9.2 million viewers (from 10 to 11:15 p.m.), followed by CNN with 6.2 million and MSNBC with 3.4 million. Note CNN won last week when the Democrats were on stage, and Fox News has been taking the lead now that the Republicans are having their turn. CNN and Fox News also bested the broadcasters in the adult demo. From 10 to 11 p.m., NBC had 7.7 million, CBS had 4.9 million and ABC had 5.8 million.

[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/09/palin-ratings-s.html[/url]

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2727640]rather good considering the claims no one knew who she was and 38 million watch the leader [b]sent to us by God Himself......[/b]
    [/QUOTE]

First Jesus, then Palin!

Hall Of Fame
    that kinda sucks for them that so many people saw her speak so well, but then get so negative and nasty...

independents and non-hardcore conservatives will come away impressed with her public speaking but disappointed in her tone and too much attacking... at least going by the anecdotal evidence I have from speaking with my wife and a few others who McCain should've been targetting

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2727646]that kinda sucks for them that so many people saw her speak so well, but then get so negative and nasty...

independents and non-hardcore conservatives will come away impressed with her public speaking but disappointed in her tone and too much attacking... at least going by the anecdotal evidence I have from speaking with my wife and a few others who McCain should've been targetting[/QUOTE]

People disappointed in Palin's tone and who think she attacked too much, are completely devoid of humor.

Undrafted Free Agent
    But the remaining 260 million Americans in this country didn't watch, what does that tell you?

cbny as you know I lean more to the left than right.

romney sucked

rudy gave a great speech imo & I was concerned (for her sake)his rousing speech would overshadow palin. not the case at all. She did an absolute great job imo.

can't wait for her & biden to lock horns on oct 5th cause I think it'll be gloves off.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2727661]People disappointed in Palin's tone and who think she attacked too much, are completely devoid of humor.[/QUOTE]

well you're right about my wife and mom, as they are lacking the sense of humor dept! :D

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=DRNYJETS;2727663]But the remaining 260 million Americans in this country didn't watch, what does that tell you?[/QUOTE]

it tells me just about as many people in the country have no interest in the rats candidate for President or the GOP's candidate for vice president.....

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2727646]that kinda sucks for them that so many people saw her speak so well, but then get so negative and nasty...

independents and non-hardcore conservatives will come away impressed with her public speaking but disappointed in her tone and too much attacking... at least going by the anecdotal evidence I have from speaking with my wife and a few others who McCain should've been targetting[/QUOTE]

Nasty, and didn't say a thing, besides LIE LIE LIE. Are the republicans going to talk about the economy or what?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 09-04-2008 at 06:38 PM.

All Pro
    GOP dregs up a completely unknown female bear-hunter to run as VP. Her first appearance should stir up some interest, much as the landing of an alient spaceship would cause most to pause and take a look at what comes out of the hatch. She was decent, didn't embarrass her handlers, and gave the media something new to focus on for a few days. In a month from now, I wonder if this will have any juice left at all....

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2727669]it tells me just about as many people in the country have no interest in the rats candidate for President or the GOP's candidate for vice president.....[/QUOTE]

With football starting tonight, how does McCain do in this area? Regardless I see this being a big downer after Palin firing up the base.

[QUOTE=Strickland;2727645]First Jesus, then Palin![/QUOTE]

You realize the reference to the "leader sent by God himself" refers to Obama, right? You know, the Messiah.

LIES LIES LIES LIES

[QUOTE]PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."

PALIN: "There is much to like and admire about our opponent. But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform not even in the state senate."

THE FACTS: Compared to McCain and his two decades in the Senate, Obama does have a more meager record. But he has worked with Republicans to pass legislation that expanded efforts to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. The legislation became law last year. To demean that accomplishment would be to also demean the work of Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, a respected foreign policy voice in the Senate. In Illinois, he was the leader on two big, contentious measures in Illinois: studying racial profiling by police and requiring recordings of interrogations in potential death penalty cases. He also successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform legislation.

PALIN: "The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes, raise payroll taxes, raise investment income taxes, raise the death tax, raise business taxes, and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars."

THE FACTS: The Tax Policy Center, a think tank run jointly by the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute, concluded that Obama's plan would increase after-tax income for middle-income taxpayers by about 5 percent by 2012, or nearly $2,200 annually. McCain's plan, which cuts taxes across all income levels, would raise after tax-income for middle-income taxpayers by 3 percent, the center concluded.

Obama would provide $80 billion in tax breaks, mainly for poor workers and the elderly, including tripling the Earned Income Tax Credit for minimum-wage workers and higher credits for larger families.

He also would raise income taxes, capital gains and dividend taxes on the wealthiest. He would raise payroll taxes on taxpayers with incomes above $250,000, and he would raise corporate taxes. Small businesses that make more than $250,000 a year would see taxes rise.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]The AP report also showed how Palin's champions have exaggerated the Alaskan governor's 'acheivements':

MCCAIN: "She's been governor of our largest state, in charge of 20 percent of America's energy supply She's responsible for 20 percent of the nation's energy supply. I'm entertained by the comparison and I hope we can keep making that comparison that running a political campaign is somehow comparable to being the executive of the largest state in America," he said in an interview with ABC News' Charles Gibson.

THE FACTS: McCain's phrasing exaggerates both claims. Palin is governor of a state that ranks second nationally in crude oil production, but she's no more "responsible" for that resource than President Bush was when he was governor of Texas, another oil-producing state. In fact, her primary power is the ability to tax oil, which she did in concert with the Alaska Legislature. And where Alaska is the largest state in America, McCain could as easily have called it the 47th largest state by population.

MCCAIN: "She's the commander of the Alaska National Guard. She has been in charge, and she has had national security as one of her primary responsibilities," he said on ABC.

THE FACTS: While governors are in charge of their state guard units, that authority ends whenever those units are called to actual military service. When guard units are deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, for example, they assume those duties under "federal status," which means they report to the Defense Department, not their governors. Alaska's national guard units have a total of about 4,200 personnel, among the smallest of state guard organizations.

FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

FORMER MASSACHUSETTS GOV. MITT ROMNEY: "We need change, all right change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington! We have a prescription for every American who wants change in Washington throw out the big-government liberals, and elect John McCain and Sarah Palin."

THE FACTS: A Back-to-the-Future moment. George W. Bush, a conservative Republican, has been president for nearly eight years. And until last year, Republicans controlled Congress. Only since January 2007 have Democrats have been in charge of the House and Senate.[/QUOTE]