Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Troopers call Wasilla Meth Capitol of Alaska

All League

State Troopers call Wasilla Meth Capitol of Alaska

Small town values. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]Wasilla: The Meth Capital Of Alaska

04 Sep 2008 09:37 am

In 2003, authorities uncovered nine meth labs in the area. Last year, the number increased to 42, said Kyle Young, an investigator with the troopers who works with the Mat-Su narcotics team.

Officials with the Office of Children's Services in Wasilla said the problem affects children. The office receives about 40 calls a month from people reporting abuse or neglect involving some aspect of the highly addictive drug...

When authorities surrounded a converted bus housing a meth operation in Big Lake in January, a 13-year-old boy who answered the door bragged that his mom cooked the best meth in the valley, according to the troopers.

During a 2003 bust at a house outside Wasilla, officers discovered five children living inside, all younger than 8 years old.

The calls about meth to children's services in Wasilla accounts for as many as 40 percent of the agency's total monthly child protection calls.[/QUOTE]

Nearly 125 Shot Dead In Chicago Over Summer
    Total Is About Double The Death Toll In Iraq
    CHICAGO (CBS) ― An estimated 123 people were shot and killed over the summer. That's nearly double the number of soldiers killed in Iraq over the same time period.

In May, cbs2chicago.com began tracking city shootings and posting them on Google maps. Information compiled from our reporters, wire service reports and the Chicago Police Major Incidents log indicated that 123 people were shot and killed throughout the city between the start of Memorial Day weekend on May 26, and the end of Labor Day on Sept. 1.

According to the Defense Department, 65 soldiers were killed in combat in Iraq. About the same number were killed in Afghanistan over that same period.

In the same time period, an estimated 245 people were shot and wounded in the city.

Tracking Summer Shootings In Chicago

The South Side's Englewood District, which includes the Englewood and West Englewood neighborhoods on the city's South Side, fared the worst over the summer. A total of 14 people were shot dead there, and 48 were shot and wounded.

The next highest totals came in the Grand Crossing District, which includes the South Shore, Woodlawn, Park Manor and Grand Crossing neighborhoods on the South Side, 12 people were killed and 31 were injured.

Also hit severely by gun violence over the summer was the Ogden District which includes the Near Southwest Side's Lawndale and Little Village neighborhoods where 10 people were killed and six were injured.

The South Chicago District on the Southeast Side saw nine people killed and 11 injured, almost all concentrated in the South Chicago and Avalon Park neighborhoods at the north end of the district.

The West Side's Austin District saw also saw nine people killed and 12 injured, while the Far South Side's Calumet District including the Roseland, Fernwood and Pullman neighborhoods saw eight killed and 20 injured.

I find out my kids are on crack I'm going right to the the governers mansion and kicking his fat ass.
    Last edited by HessStation; 09-04-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not sure what the purpose of this thread is. But, if it is suggesting that Obama should move to Wasilla because he is a former drug user, I think that's kinda below the belt.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/09/us/politics/09obama.html[/url]

[QUOTE]Nearly three decades ago, Barack Obama stood out on the small campus of Occidental College in Los Angeles for his eloquence, intellect and activism against apartheid in South Africa. But Mr. Obama, then known as Barry, also joined in the party scene.

Years later in his 1995 memoir, he mentioned smoking “reefer” in “the dorm room of some brother” and talked about “getting high.” Before Occidental, he indulged in marijuana, alcohol and sometimes cocaine as a high school student in Hawaii, according to the book...(continued) [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by jetstream23; 09-04-2008 at 07:37 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2727776]Nearly 125 Shot Dead In Chicago Over Summer
    Total Is About Double The Death Toll In Iraq
    CHICAGO (CBS) ― An estimated 123 people were shot and killed over the summer. That's nearly double the number of soldiers killed in Iraq over the same time period.
    [/QUOTE]

Glad I don't live there, either. :yes:

BTW, minor quibble, but the number of soldiers killed in Iraq over the summer is actually over 300.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2727789]Not sure what the purpose of this thread is. But, if it is suggesting that Obama should move to Wasilla because he is a former drug user, I think that's kinda below the belt.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/09/us/politics/09obama.html[/url][/QUOTE]

yeah, I know, a politician who is honest about his past and speaks openly about it, unlike the two presidents we had for the last eight years....

pres I did not inhale and pres cocaine user/drunk driver

Veteran
    I heard it was like the wild west up there.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Sharrow;2728095]I heard it was like the wild west [B]up there[/B].[/QUOTE]

Well, that would be the wild north.

:D

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2727762]Small town values. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Great analysis. Brilliant, even.

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2727762]Small town values. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Two questions.

--Is this an example of the failure of the Mayor/Governor Palin? Or of the Wasille/Alaska Police?

--How mnay Meth Labs are there currently in Obama's District? Do they represent a failure of Obama, or of the Illinois Police?

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2728937]Two questions.

--Is this an example of the failure of the Mayor/Governor Palin? Or of the Wasille/Alaska Police?

--How mnay Meth Labs are there currently in Obama's District? Do they represent a failure of Obama, or of the Illinois Police?[/QUOTE]

Never said it was Palin's fault. I wouldn't blame the police either. Just thought it interesting to point out because Palin never misses an opportunity to promote herself as a representative of small town virtues. 42 meth labs in a town of 9000 is a LOT. Heck, 42 meth labs in a town of 90,000 would be a lot. Sounds like they have serious drug problems.

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2729112]Never said it was Palin's fault. I wouldn't blame the police either. Just thought it interesting to point out because Palin never misses an opportunity to promote herself as a representative of small town virtues. 42 meth labs in a town of 9000 is a LOT. Heck, 42 meth labs in a town of 90,000 would be a lot. Sounds like they have serious drug problems.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. So if I am say, a Preacher at a church, who does nothing but good for 40 years, but there is a crack house down the block......does that mean I (the preacher) cannot say I stand for "Insert Religion X" values here because my neighborhood has a drug problem?

I'm not defending the inexperienced and unqualified Palin here, (nor will I remind you that Obama, at one point in his life, used hard drugs himself personally) but I'm just not seeing what makes your connection. You can claim to stand for "small town values" even if the small town you come from isn't perfect.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2729112]Never said it was Palin's fault. I wouldn't blame the police either. Just thought it interesting to point out because Palin never misses an opportunity to promote herself as a representative of small town virtues. 42 meth labs in a town of 9000 is a LOT. Heck, 42 meth labs in a town of 90,000 would be a lot. Sounds like they have serious drug problems.[/QUOTE]

Anybody who tries to claim that they are somehow better, more equipped to lead, or anything else politicians claim, based on their "small town values," "the people in their town," and other hogwash like that is fooling themselves and the people. City, country, frozen barren wasteland, it doesn't matter. There are good people and bad, drugs and God, violence and love. Trying to promote one's self through a claim to the moral or social superiority of your hometown is jacka$$ery at its finest

BUT, are there any crackheads in Alaska? Are there any black people in Alaska?

Sincerely,

Puff Wheat

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2729126]I'm not defending the inexperienced and unqualified Palin here, (nor will I remind you that Obama, at one point in his life, used hard drugs himself personally) but I'm just not seeing what makes your connection. You can claim to stand for "small town values" even if the small town you come from isn't perfect.[/QUOTE]

I guess what I'm questioning is what are these "small town values" exactly? Such quotes certainly don't begin with Palin. But they seem predicated on a belief that people from small towns are somehow morally superior to people from larger towns and cities. It seems the root of a lot of the religious right's thinking--that they must save the country from the evil, godless people in New York, Boston, San Diego, etc.

Edit: What SDJets said.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 09-05-2008 at 01:22 PM.

Fair point.
    NYC has something few cities in this country has or will ever have "ENVY". People love NYC and where the majority of other cities are hated because they are a city.

I grew up in the suburbs and moved to Philly and no one in my town could understand why anyone would live in Philadelphia. I loved it and still do. Small towns have their advantages, but most small towns have major issues, just not a grand scale.

JMO.

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2729159]I guess what I'm questioning is what are these "small town values" exactly? Such quotes certainly don't begin with Palin. But they seem predicated on a belief that people from small towns are somehow morally superior to people from larger towns and cities. It seems the root of a lot of the religious right's thinking--that they must save the country from the evil, godless people in New York, Boston, San Diego, etc.

Edit: What SDJets said.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2728937]Two questions.

--Is this an example of the failure of the Mayor/Governor Palin? [B]Or of the Wasille/Alaska Police? [/B]

--How mnay Meth Labs are there currently in Obama's District? Do they represent a failure of Obama, or of the Illinois Police?[/QUOTE]

I think it is trooper Wooten's fault which is why she tried to fire his ass. :D

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2729159]I guess what I'm questioning is what are these "small town values" exactly?[/QUOTE]

Mostly a baggle of cliches, if you ask me.

Saddens me to see what Meth and Oxy have done to too many towns in this country. This story is all too familiar to too many small towns everywhere.

And for the record, I'd like to see what the stats are for the meth capitol in Illinois compared to the meth capitol of Alaska. I'm willing to bet they're not even close.

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2729257]Saddens me to see what Meth and Oxy have done to too many towns in this country. This story is all too familiar to too many small towns everywhere.

And for the record, I'd like to see what the stats are for the meth capitol in Illinois compared to the meth capitol of Alaska. I'm willing to bet they're not even close.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/methnet/meth_illinois/meth_maps_2002_2003.pdf"]http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/methnet/meth_illinois/meth_maps_2002_2003.pdf[/URL]

2002-2003 data, so may be much worse now.