Thread: Politics 101: Why Is Barack Obama Still Running For President?!?

All League

Politics 101: Why Is Barack Obama Still Running For President?!?

Barack Obama selected Delaware Senator Joe Biden as his Vice President running mate last month.

Joe Biden has said on several occasions that Barack Obama is not ready to be President of the United States.

Democratic Presidential Debate:

STEPHANOPOULOS: But Senator Biden, you did go beyond talking about Pakistan. You were asked: Is he (Obama) ready? You said, "I think he can be ready, but right now I don't believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training."

BIDEN: I think I stand by the statement.

So, when Obama announced that BIDEN was his VP running mate why didn't Obama's candidacy end right then-and-there? Biden says that Obama is NOT Presidential material!!

I just don't get it!

I'm posting this now because John McCain took a lot of political heat this week because his campaign's vetting process either did know or didn't know that Sarah Palin's 17 year old daughter was five months pregnant.

Obama's vetting process for Joe Biden, on the other hand, had video that was seen by MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of people of Joe Biden saying that Barack Obama is not ready to be President and, when asked if Biden still thinks that way, Biden affirms his position (aobve debate).

Further, Biden goes on to praise John McCain.

"I've been calling for more troops for over two years, along with John McCain and others subsequent to my saying that." -- Meet the Press, November 27, 2005

"The only guy on the other side who's qualified is John McCain." -- MSNBC, October 30, 2007

"John McCain is a personal friend, a great friend, and I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off" -- The Daily Show, August 2, 2005

Biden doesn't disagree with Obama's position with regard to taxes, healthcare, foreign policy or anything like that. Biden said that Obama is just not ready to be President!

I have NEVER heard a Vice-Presidential candidate say that the Presidential candidate that they are under is NOT ready to be President of the United States!!!!!!

So, again, when Barack Obama selected Joe Biden to be his Vice Presidential running mate, why didn't Barack Obama's Presidential candidacy end? Where was the media and McCain campaign?

Additionally, why would Barack Obama make such a selection? What is Barack Obama trying to tell us? Does Barack Obama agree with Joe Biden?

Hall Of Fame
    The same thing happened with these people, brother.

http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/c...ewart-ann.html

JetsInsider.com Legend
    why? because he's winning and will win.

All League
    I know, I mean, Fred Thompson, Guiliani, and Romney had always thought that McCain is the only choice for President.

They never said otherwise, or insinuated that someone else should be President, right?

Veteran
    Does this thread even make sense?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    I just don't get it!

Why wasn't there about a thousand reporters asking Barack Obama "Senator Obama, you just selected a vice-presidential running mate (Biden) who has claimed on several occasions that YOU, Senator Obama, are NOT prepared to be President of the United States. Do you agree with Sentor Biden?"

I guess we'll just have to leave it up to Sarah-Barracuda to ask that question, probably a few times, in the VP debate. Wasn't she a reporter? You know, someone who knows when and how to ask these types of questions?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    why? because he's winning and will win.
    Bit, could you perhaps try to explain to me what the Biden vetting process was like?

I mean, a Democratic Senator who said on several occasions that Barack Obama was not prepared to be President of the United States; wouldn't that person become automatically excluded from VP consideration?

I really think Obama is trying to tell us something!

Especially after hearing his mush-mouth explanation this week that the experience he gains from running a Presidential campaign gives him the experience to be President. It would seem that George Costanza from Seinfeld would be the only person that could come up with that kind of twisted logic.

All Pro
    I think what you're missing is what the Jon Stewart video captured brilliantly. Politicians do whatever is expedient to their ambitions in the moment. Jo Biden was running for president and he targeted the one area where he felt he could leverage one of his playing cards: experience vs. lack of experience. It was a fair issue then and a fair issue now. But don't take that to mean that Biden or anyone else really believes that Obama should not be taken seriously or truly cannot lead at least as well as a whole host of presidents with oodles of experience who were complete idiots. Obama is a work in progress, by any account. But I think his trial by fire against the Clinton machine does merit attention. Biden is no fool. He recognizes a Obama's talent and his charisma as well as his very solid organization. No politician is going to ignore how Obama has functioned over the last year, regardless of previous experience. He knows how to play. As time goes on, we may find that another dark horse, Sarah Palin, also has the same kind of political gifts. If she does, conservatives will not be worried about her lack of real experience on the national stage. They know better.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post

no, but it left me speechless.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    But I think his trial by fire against the Clinton machine does merit attention.
    It's always been my gut instinct that the voters who voted for Barack Obama were really voting against Hillary.

And the Hillary voters, many of them women, were voting against an African-Ameican with an Islamic name, product of Chicago city politics, and no record worth mentioning.

Obama won the Democratic presidential nomination simply because there were more Hillary haters out there in the Democratic primaries than bigots.

All League
    OK, just one more post!

How would the MSM likes of Chris Matthews, Keith Olbermann, CNN, et al, respond had John McCain selected a Vice-Presidential running mate who:

1. Said several times that McCain was not ready to be President of the United States.

2. Was a loud mouth bigot.

3. Was a plagiarizer.

I still think the Washington, DC inside-the-beltway media gave Obama a major free pass with respect to the selection of Joe Biden as his VP.