Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 mil tune in for Sarah

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

40 mil tune in for Sarah

i think thats more than home-boy got.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given all the stories about her and how unknown she is, not terribly surprising. The whole pregannt tennage daughter drama, plus the fact she is an unknown and the subject of all these different reports obviously fueled a lot curiosity about her.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2729233]Given all the stories about her and how unknown she is, not terribly surprising. The whole pregannt tennage daughter drama, plus the fact she is an unknown and the subject of all these different reports obviously fueled a lot curiosity about her.[/QUOTE]thats right my brother.stay calm..don't panic...lol.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    wonder what the opinion of her will be when people really scrutinize her record and don't just blush when she talks looks their way;

"ST.PAUL In her nationally televised speech accepting the job as John McCain's running mate, [B]Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she "championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress" and opposed federal funding for a controversial bridge to a sparsely populated island.

"I told Congress, 'Thanks, but no thanks,' on that bridge to nowhere," Palin said Friday in Ohio, using the critics' dismissive name of the project. "'If our state wanted a bridge,' I said, 'we'd build it ourselves.'"[/B]

While running for governor in [B]2006, though, Palin backed federal funding for the infamous bridge, which McCain helped make a symbol of pork barrel excess.[/B]

And [B]as mayor of the small town of Wasilla from 1996 to 2002, Palin also hired a Washington lobbying firm that helped secure $8 million in congressionally directed spending projects, known as earmarks, according to public spending records compiled by the watchdog group Citizens Against Government Waste and lobbying documents.[/B]

Wasilla's lobbying firm was headed by Steven Silver a former chief of staff to Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens, a key proponent of the bridge project.

[B]"We need to come to the defense of Southeast Alaska when proposals are on the table like the bridge, and not allow the spinmeisters to turn this project or any other into something that's so negative," Palin said in August 2006, according to the Ketchikan Daily News.[/B]

The Anchorage Daily News quoted her in [B]October 2006 as saying she would continue state funding for the bridge. "The window is now, while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist," she said.[/B]

Asked why she supported the bridge, Palin's communications director Bill McAlister said, "It was never at the top of her priority list, and in fact the project isn't necessarily dead there's still the potential for improved ferry service or even a bridge of a less costly design."

She changed her mind, he said, when "she saw that Alaska was being perceived as taking from the country and not giving, and that impression bothered her and she wants to change it. I think that Sarah Palin is someone who has the courage to reevaluate situations as they developed."

Wasilla, which in 2007 had 9,780 residents, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, hired a lobbyist in 2000, public records show, paying him about $36,000 per year. In 2001, Palin was quoted in a local newspaper crediting Silver with helping secure federal funding for Wasilla.

Congressional spending items for Wasilla during Palin's term included $1 million for a regional dispatch center and $1.5 million for water and sewer improvements, according to Citizens Against Government Waste.

McAlister said he was unaware of the details of Wasilla's earmarks. But, he added, "As mayor of the city, her charge was very different than it is now. She's obviously taking a much broader look at things as governor."

[B]It is not unusual for municipalities to hire lobbyists and seek federal help. But of 149 incorporated places in Alaska, just six of them had paid registered lobbyists in 2002, including Wasilla, lobbying records show.[/B]

[B]Alaska is regularly one of the biggest per-person beneficiaries of such spending, thanks to the clout of Stevens, who is under indictment,[/B] and Rep. Don Young, whose primary election is still in doubt as votes are being counted. Both men supported the so-called 'bridge to nowhere.'

[B]The bridge was intended to provide access to Ketchikan's airport on Gravina Island, which had a population of 50 in the 2000 U.S. Census. After McCain and others railed against it, Congress dropped the specific earmark but kept the money in a transportation bill for Alaska.[/B]

In September 2007, Palin's office issued a new release saying the governor had "cancelled all state work on the Gravina Island bridge project, which gained national fame as a symbol of what critics said was wrong with federal budget earmarks."

"I think that's when the campaign for national office began," Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein told the Anchorage Daily News on Saturday.

[B]On Fox News Sunday, McCain touted Palin's opposition to the bridge.[/B]

"Yes, the pork barrel project, a $233 million bridge in Alaska to an island with 50 people on it," McCain said. "She, as governor, stood up and said, we don't need it, and if we need it, we'll pay for it ourselves. Now, that's guts. I saw that, and I said, this, this is what we need in Washington."

McCain has blamed spending for projects such as the 'bridge to nowhere' for the Republican defeat in the 2006 congressional elections."

for it then against it.....but I guess to the righties, this isn't a flip-flop, right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2729238]thats right my brother.stay calm..don't panic...lol.[/QUOTE]

There's no arguing with the fact that there's tons of curiosity about her on both sides. Anytime you mix sex and politics, ratings follow.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2729227]home-boy[/QUOTE]

Lame.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2729266]Lame.[/QUOTE]how 'bout the "hip-hop" prez?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2729266]Lame.[/QUOTE]oh and did you see rutgers last week...talk about lame.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2729238]thats right my brother.stay calm..don't panic...lol.[/QUOTE]

Which sounds more panicky?

1. Selecting a 30 year Senate veteran who everybody knows for VP.

or

2. Placing all of your hopes on a VP candidate who no one knew eight days ago?

lol indeed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2729250]wonder what the opinion of her will be when people really scrutinize her record and don't just blush when she talks looks their way;

"ST.PAUL In her nationally televised speech accepting the job as John McCain's running mate, [B]Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she "championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress" and opposed federal funding for a controversial bridge to a sparsely populated island.

"I told Congress, 'Thanks, but no thanks,' on that bridge to nowhere," Palin said Friday in Ohio, using the critics' dismissive name of the project. "'If our state wanted a bridge,' I said, 'we'd build it ourselves.'"[/B]

While running for governor in [B]2006, though, Palin backed federal funding for the infamous bridge, which McCain helped make a symbol of pork barrel excess.[/B]

And [B]as mayor of the small town of Wasilla from 1996 to 2002, Palin also hired a Washington lobbying firm that helped secure $8 million in congressionally directed spending projects, known as earmarks, according to public spending records compiled by the watchdog group Citizens Against Government Waste and lobbying documents.[/B]

Wasilla's lobbying firm was headed by Steven Silver a former chief of staff to Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens, a key proponent of the bridge project.

[B]"We need to come to the defense of Southeast Alaska when proposals are on the table like the bridge, and not allow the spinmeisters to turn this project or any other into something that's so negative," Palin said in August 2006, according to the Ketchikan Daily News.[/B]

The Anchorage Daily News quoted her in [B]October 2006 as saying she would continue state funding for the bridge. "The window is now, while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist," she said.[/B]

Asked why she supported the bridge, Palin's communications director Bill McAlister said, "It was never at the top of her priority list, and in fact the project isn't necessarily dead there's still the potential for improved ferry service or even a bridge of a less costly design."

She changed her mind, he said, when "she saw that Alaska was being perceived as taking from the country and not giving, and that impression bothered her and she wants to change it. I think that Sarah Palin is someone who has the courage to reevaluate situations as they developed."

Wasilla, which in 2007 had 9,780 residents, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, hired a lobbyist in 2000, public records show, paying him about $36,000 per year. In 2001, Palin was quoted in a local newspaper crediting Silver with helping secure federal funding for Wasilla.

Congressional spending items for Wasilla during Palin's term included $1 million for a regional dispatch center and $1.5 million for water and sewer improvements, according to Citizens Against Government Waste.

McAlister said he was unaware of the details of Wasilla's earmarks. But, he added, "As mayor of the city, her charge was very different than it is now. She's obviously taking a much broader look at things as governor."

[B]It is not unusual for municipalities to hire lobbyists and seek federal help. But of 149 incorporated places in Alaska, just six of them had paid registered lobbyists in 2002, including Wasilla, lobbying records show.[/B]

[B]Alaska is regularly one of the biggest per-person beneficiaries of such spending, thanks to the clout of Stevens, who is under indictment,[/B] and Rep. Don Young, whose primary election is still in doubt as votes are being counted. Both men supported the so-called 'bridge to nowhere.'

[B]The bridge was intended to provide access to Ketchikan's airport on Gravina Island, which had a population of 50 in the 2000 U.S. Census. After McCain and others railed against it, Congress dropped the specific earmark but kept the money in a transportation bill for Alaska.[/B]

In September 2007, Palin's office issued a new release saying the governor had "cancelled all state work on the Gravina Island bridge project, which gained national fame as a symbol of what critics said was wrong with federal budget earmarks."

"I think that's when the campaign for national office began," Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein told the Anchorage Daily News on Saturday.

[B]On Fox News Sunday, McCain touted Palin's opposition to the bridge.[/B]

"Yes, the pork barrel project, a $233 million bridge in Alaska to an island with 50 people on it," McCain said. "She, as governor, stood up and said, we don't need it, and if we need it, we'll pay for it ourselves. Now, that's guts. I saw that, and I said, this, this is what we need in Washington."

McCain has blamed spending for projects such as the 'bridge to nowhere' for the Republican defeat in the 2006 congressional elections."

for it then against it.....but I guess to the righties, this isn't a flip-flop, right?[/QUOTE]so whats your point? everything sounds totally reasonable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fukushimajin;2729283]Which sounds more panicky?

1. Selecting a 30 year Senate veteran who everybody knows for VP.

or

2. Placing all of your hopes on a VP candidate who no one knew eight days ago?

lol indeed.[/QUOTE]you make no sense.if he was panicky,why would he put his eggs in a nobody?...i reissue my lol...lol...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2729289]so whats your point? everything sounds totally reasonable.[/QUOTE]

of course, but if the shoe was on the other foot, you wouldn't have that opinion

none of Obama's clarifications are ever taken at face value...

my point is she isn't the reformer they are making her out to be....

and that the right will hang itself by trying to defend her and pertray her as a victim.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2729227]i think thats more than home-boy got.[/QUOTE]

hey cracker stop acting like a jackass

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2729333]hey cracker stop acting like a jackass[/QUOTE]cracker??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2729277]oh and did you see rutgers last week...talk about lame.[/QUOTE]

double-lame

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2729307]of course, but if the shoe was on the other foot, you wouldn't have that opinion

and that the right will hang itself by trying to defend her and pertray her as a victim.[/QUOTE]i see your point...but i don't nit-pick obami

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2729307]of course, but if the shoe was on the other foot, you wouldn't have that opinion

and that the right will hang itself by trying to defend her and pertray her as a victim.[/QUOTE]

Why should they be taken at face value? He's lied about a zillion things and you have admitted it. He lied about why he rejected public funds and you agreed that he was lying, he lied [B]and was caught in the lie [/B]about not voting against the Born Alive Acts. He's a liar; this is a fact. Would you take anything Bush says at face value? Then why take what Obama says at face value?

You guys are so FOS its not even funny. I admit the guys I have voted for are lying, pandering hacks. Why can't you?? WHy this pathetic, emotional, childish need to believe that they aren't they way they clearly are? You know he's a pandering liar, just admit it!
    Last edited by jets5ever; 09-05-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2729555]cracker??[/QUOTE]

unless you can produce a picture of your drivers license as a black man you aren't allowed to talk about homeboy, hip hop prez or brother man. It's ok to not like Obama or not vote for him but don't be a jerk.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to Hannity (whom i have strated listening to more frequently), on 4 less networks, McCain got 26% more viewers than Obama.

Palin was on 4 less networks, too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2729596]Why should they be taken at face value? He's lied about a zillion things and you have admitted it. He lied about why he rejected public funds and you agreed that he was lying, he lied [B]and was caught in the lie [/B]about not voting against the Born Alive Acts. He's a liar; this is a fact. Would you take anything Bush says at face value? Then why take what Obama says at face value?

You guys are so FOS its not even funny. I admit the guys I have voted for are lying, pandering hacks. Why can't you?? WHy this pathetic, emotional, childish need to believe that they aren't they way they clearly are? You know he's a pandering liar, just admit it![/QUOTE]

where did I say that....I am just laughing at how the standards the righties are holding Obama to, they do not hold their own candidates to.

I have said a ton of times that Obama is a politician and does what politicians do, that, though, wasn't good enough for you.

well tough titties....