Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: How to Fix the Yanks in 1 year- a realistic plan.

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    How to Fix the Yanks in 1 year- a realistic plan.

    First you need to let go of a lot of guys:

    Guys who should be let go:

    - Jason Giambi
    - Ivan Rodriguez
    - Richie Sexon
    - Bobby Abreu (should be tendered though- he will return a 1st Rd Pick+ Sandwich pick)
    - Andy Pettite

    Trade Robbie Cano to SF for Matt Cain (young solid middle of rotation arm)
    Trade Hideki Matsui for whatever prospects you can get

    Resign Mike Mussina to a 2 year deal

    Sign:

    CC Sabathia- LHP (left handed ace, replaces Pettite)
    Orlando Hudson- 2B (much better defensively, switch hitter, and place with passion that Cano lacks)
    Rocco Baldelli- CF (the guy has Yankee written all over, and only 27)
    Manny Ramirez- DH (someone has to hit HRs now that Giambi and Abreu are gone)
    Brian Fuentes- LHP (LH reliever we sorely miss)
    Adam Dunn- 1B/DH


    2009 Starting Line Up
    C- Jorge Posada
    1B- Adam Dunn
    2B- Orlando Hudson
    SS- Derek Jeter
    3B- Alex Rodriguez
    LF- Johnny Damon
    CF- Rocco Baldelli
    RF- Xavier Nady
    DH- Manny Ramirez

    SP- CC Sabathia
    SP- Chin Ming Wang
    SP- Matt Cain
    SP- Mike Mussina
    SP- Joba Chamberlain

    Closer- Mariano Rivera

    Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy spend the whole year in AAA growing up (where they should have been this year)
    Last edited by kennyo7; 09-05-2008 at 02:50 PM.

  2. #2
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think Posada can catch anymore. I think his arm is shot.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    astoria
    Posts
    5,279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    First you need to let go of a lot of guys:

    Guys who should be let go:

    - Jason Giambi
    - Ivan Rodriguez
    - Richie Sexon
    - Bobby Abreu (should be tendered though- he will return a 1st Rd Pick+ Sandwich pick)
    - Andy Pettite

    Trade Robbie Cano to SF for Matt Cain (young solid middle of rotation arm)
    Trade Hideki Matsui for whatever prospects you can get

    Resign Mike Mussina to a 2 year deal

    Sign:

    CC Sabathia- LHP (left handed ace, replaces Pettite)
    Orlando Hudson- 2B (much better defensively, switch hitter, and place with passion that Cano lacks)
    Rocco Baldelli- CF (the guy has Yankee written all over, and only 27)
    Manny Ramirez- DH (someone has to hit HRs now that Giambi and Abreu are gone)
    Brian Fuentes- LHP (LH reliever we sorely miss)
    Adam Dunn- 1B/DH


    2009 Starting Line Up
    C- Jorge Posada
    1B- Adam Dunn
    2B- Orlando Hudson
    SS- Derek Jeter
    3B- Alex Rodriguez
    LF- Johnny Damon
    CF- Rocco Baldelli
    RF- Xavier Nady
    DH- Manny Ramirez

    SP- CC Sabathia
    SP- Chin Ming Wang
    SP- Matt Cain
    SP- Mike Mussina
    SP- Joba Chamberlain

    Closer- Mariano Rivera
    i would love to get rid of cano.... but cain scares me.national pitchers have issues in al.but also why would sf take cano's contract.cain has only been in league for what 2-3 yrs?

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, realistic lol.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    i would love to get rid of cano.... but cain scares me.national pitchers have issues in al.but also why would sf take cano's contract.cain has only been in league for what 2-3 yrs?
    B/C SF is desperately trying to rebuild its infield and a young 2B with power who previously was hitting around .300 is a good way to start. And they have a surpluss of young arms.

    I agree, NL pitchers scare me. So what young arm do you think we could get for Cano?

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    yeah, realistic lol.
    Whats not realistic, please expand.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    i would love to get rid of cano.... but cain scares me.national pitchers have issues in al.but also why would sf take cano's contract.cain has only been in league for what 2-3 yrs?
    Cain scares you?

    mid 90s hard sinker, nasty hook, good change and a solid slider. If he can ever be more consistent throwing strikes, he would be a scarier pitcher and he's only 23.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Whats not realistic, please expand.
    Giants aren't moving a legit young stud pitcher for a guy who you don't know where he is mentally and has a big pay check. Very talented but a risk considering you have a 1-2 punch in Lincecum and Cain for the future along with Bumgarner and Alderson in the future.

    Manny at 20M+ a year? Adam Dunn is going to command Torri hunter money (5/75-90), Hudson will cost 10-12 a year, Fuentes is going to be looking for closer money. Sabthia 6 years/160M+. That's a ton of money, I don't see the yankees doing that.

    Yanks need to get younger not older. Adding Hudson, Fuentes, Dunn, Manny isn't necessary.

  9. #9
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Giants aren't moving a legit young stud pitcher for a guy who you don't know where he is mentally and has a big pay check. Very talented but a risk considering you have a 1-2 punch in Lincecum and Cain for the future along with Bumgarner and Alderson in the future.

    Manny at 20M+ a year? Adam Dunn is going to command Torri hunter money (5/75-90), Hudson will cost 10-12 a year, Fuentes is going to be looking for closer money. Sabthia 6 years/160M+. That's a ton of money, I don't see the yankees doing that.

    Yanks need to get younger not older. Adding Hudson, Fuentes, Dunn, Manny isn't necessary.
    No one is paying Manny $20M a year.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mianus CT
    Posts
    7,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    I agree with this guy below

    fixing the yanks

    2009 in a nutshell: You're gonna have 86 Million dollars off the table. Let's put it to use. This team got real old, real fast.
    Let's start with the rotation: Aside from this season, Wang has been durable. Moose, too (to a lesser degree...although he's gonna be forty this season). Ponson isn't a viable candidate for the rotation. Neither is Giese as he was never intended to be.

    #1 Go after Sabathia. Dude is a stud. As much as I didn't think it would be a good idea this season, he has proven me wrong.

    #2 Go after Teixiera. We'll have the dough to do it. He can field the position, even if he turns into Giambi with the bat.

    #3 Re-sign Moose. Another two year deal. He's shown he's durable andknows how to win. Two years is probably the end of his rope. He stands a chance of getting to 300 as a Yankee.

    #4 Deal Cano. Too enigmatic. I want more defense.

    #5 I'd love to see the OF cleared out, outside of Nady....maybe Abreu. No reclamation projects like Andruw Jones.... Maybe Austin Jackson?

    #6 (warning....blaspheming coming up) I want to see a defensive replacement for Jeter, late innings. Remember '98? not everybody on that team were stars. We need Scott Brosius back.....Guys that understood their role and did it.
    Guys that can go: Pettitte, Ponsoon, Giambi, Sexson, Pavano (HA!), Pudge, Betemit.

    I make a call to Oakland and see if they're willing to deal Street. I'll just bet that Eiland can work with him.

    I also give a shot to Melancon in the bullpen....sixth, seventh inning guy.

    Give a shot to Humberto (Dirty) Sanchez and monitor progress on Brackman.

    We had an awful lot of injuries this season. I say Girardi did a good job, all things considered.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the Giants would do a Cain for Cano swap, for one they could probably get a better player then Cano if they decided to make Cain available, but for two they seem to be reluctant to break up him, Lincecum, and Sanchez, and for good reason.

    And signing 80 million dollars a year of players in Free Agency (minimum) really isn't realistic either, I know, I know, the Yankees are losing alot of big contracts but they've also been hemorrhaging money for years now and I highly doubt they re-invest every single dollar. Plus, there are other teams looking for players too and some of them will be willing to outbid the Yankees, it sounds like Sabathia's preference is the west coast since he's from Cali, and I also doubt Fuentes signs if he cannot close.

    Not trying to rain on your parade, but I don't really think it's realistic.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have we not learned from the past 8 years of losing? Big time FA's is not the way to go, I would not be opposed to siging Sabathia, because PITCHERS are harder to find esp. top of the rotation guys. I don't want Manny or Tex or Fuentes and HELL NO to DUNN...

    I have been on record as saying I want to put Cano on the block and see what we could get from him....

    this team needs better "grinders" if cano is traded hudson wouldn't be bad but at the right PRICE...call the Pads and try to trade for a guy like Kouzmanoff who is under the radar but a solid player to play 1st or OF...that is the type of player the Yanks need....not HIGH PRICED FA's

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,041
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel compelled to also lay down the plan for improving the mets next year....i am gunna keep in realistic.

    sign Texeira
    sign Sabathia
    sign K-Rod
    sign Manny

    Trade Nick Evans for Johnathan Peppelbon too...why not!

    and we are good to go.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I don't think the Giants would do a Cain for Cano swap, for one they could probably get a better player then Cano if they decided to make Cain available, but for two they seem to be reluctant to break up him, Lincecum, and Sanchez, and for good reason.

    And signing 80 million dollars a year of players in Free Agency (minimum) really isn't realistic either, I know, I know, the Yankees are losing alot of big contracts but they've also been hemorrhaging money for years now and I highly doubt they re-invest every single dollar. Plus, there are other teams looking for players too and some of them will be willing to outbid the Yankees, it sounds like Sabathia's preference is the west coast since he's from Cali, and I also doubt Fuentes signs if he cannot close.

    Not trying to rain on your parade, but I don't really think it's realistic.
    The Yankees aren't hemorrhaging money, they turn in an unbelievable profit.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    The Yankees aren't hemorrhaging money, they turn in an unbelievable profit.
    http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/33/...ball_Rank.html

    They lost 25.2 million dollars in 2006

    http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/33/...ball_Rank.html

    They lost 47.3 million dollars in 2007

    I guess you could argue the value of the organization has gone up significantly in that time to counteract the losses in operating income, but they can only cash in on that money by selling the team.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let the FA's walk: Giambi, Abreu, Pettitte

    All they NEED to do is Sign Sabathia, Texiera and another starter or trade for one or sign Dempster too, but i doubt it.

    And i would like them to shop Melk and Cano but they wont.

    Sign Moose to 1 or 2 year deal

    NO: Dunn, ManRam, Hudson!

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Covina, Ca
    Posts
    1,775
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    I feel compelled to also lay down the plan for improving the mets next year....i am gunna keep in realistic.

    sign Texeira
    sign Sabathia
    sign K-Rod
    sign Manny

    Trade Nick Evans for Johnathan Peppelbon too...why not!

    and we are good to go.
    No way Texeira leaves the Angels....you can have K-rod!! good riddance! we have his replacement already in arrendondo.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/33/...ball_Rank.html

    They lost 25.2 million dollars in 2006

    http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/33/...ball_Rank.html

    They lost 47.3 million dollars in 2007

    I guess you could argue the value of the organization has gone up significantly in that time to counteract the losses in operating income, but they can only cash in on that money by selling the team.
    right, you are basing it solely on the operating income....what is the revenue based on?

    in that category 327 mil in '08 and 302 mil in '07....

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    yeah, realistic lol.
    Why is it not?

    I will say that I don't think we get Cain for Cano right now. Cain is really good and Cano's value is at an all time low. Other than that, I like the moves. Also there's no point in signing Fuentes when we already have Marte.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,463
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Why is it not?

    I will say that I don't think we get Cain for Cano right now. Cain is really good and Cano's value is at an all time low. Other than that, I like the moves. Also there's no point in signing Fuentes when we already have Marte.

    I wouldn't trade Cano for Cain and I am suprised at how quickly the thought of moving him has gained speed. He's not David Wright and he may not even be Pedroia anymore but Cain's resume is largely built on beating up weak line-ups in the NL West and getting knocked around a bit by the good offenses. He's had a few good outings against Colorado and the Cubs the past two seasons but the other good offenses seem to do well against him.

    Both players will obviously get better and you have to hope Cano isn't a I got paid guy who never shows the star potential again. With all the alleged quality arms in the Yanks system there really should be no need for this trade unless Cano really does have poor or lackadasical work habits.

    Alfredo Aceves sure looks unaffected on the Major League stage so far and I would like to see him bump Rasner, Pavano or Ponson the rest of the way to see if he is a possible rotation candidate next season.

    I also don't like the "leave first base free for Jeter or Posada plan". Tex is much better on both sides of the ball than either of those guys.

    Possible off season plan:

    Catcher: All the FA's are older players for the most part. Maybe give Michael Barrett a look as Jorge insurance. 2 or 3 mill.

    1B: TEX or kick the tires on what it would take to get Blaylock from Texas. Tex 18- 20 mill. Blalock has a 6 mill club option w/Texas.
    17 Mill comes off books after Giambi buyout so both players are within reason.

    CF: Probably needs to be soultioned via a trade. Signing Baldelli may reap rewards but a fall back plan for when he gets injured, and he will, needs to be in place. Kotsay, Taveras or Damon I guess. I imagine the Giants may entertain moving Aaron Rowands contract (Melky/Kennedy?) as he is nowhere near the power threat he was in Phildaelphia's joke of a ball park. He would however give the Yanks lights out defense and a .280ish BA with double digit HR's. Needs to walk more though. Rowand would be 8 mill in 09, 12 mill after. Abreu departure frees up that cash.

    RF: Let Abreu walk as Nady is a nice player and cheaper.


    LF: Unless Matsui is moved I go with Damon as at least offensively when healthy, he makes the offense go. If Matsui is moved, Damon DH's and the Yanks can entertain Burrell, Juan Riveria types to play left. Would have to take defense into consideration here though. I imagine Manny would aways be in play but I think that payroll should go towards TEX and a SP. For the sake of this let's say Damon is the LF.

    DH: Likely remains Matsui . When healthy very good bat.

    SP:
    CC if he wants to play on the East coast. 20 mill.
    Wang
    Joba
    Moose(resign at 2 yrs 20 mill) 16 of comes from parting ways with Andy.
    Dempster and or Derek Lowe. Serves as fallback plan iff CC is not a Yankee and also plays into the innings limits Joba/Hughes will face. 22 mill total in 09 for Lowe and Dempster?


    That plan would use approx 45 - 50 mill of the 80 coming off the books and not part with anything special from the farm system.

    Line-up
    :

    C: SH- Posada/Barrett
    1B: SH- Tex ----fallback Blalock at much cheaper price.
    2B: LH- Cano
    SS: RH- Jete
    3B: RH- ARod
    LF: LH - Damon
    CF: RH- Rowand or Baldelli
    RF: RH- Nady
    DH: LH- Matsui

    This line-up conservatively projects to 185-200 HR's which would compete with any AL team. My Batting order would be: Damon-Jeter-Tex-ARod- Matsui-Nady-Cano-Posada-Rowand or Baldelli.

    SP:
    CC
    Wang
    Joba
    Moose
    Dempster and/or Lowe.

    Hughes/Aceves waiting in the wings or in rotation if all SP's are not signed.
    Not sure what happens with Pavano.
    Last edited by chad101; 09-06-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us