Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McCain Speech Draws 38.9 Million Viewers - Beats The "Messiah"

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

McCain Speech Draws 38.9 Million Viewers - Beats The "Messiah"

So much for Osamas earth shattering 38.4 Million.

OK, let's hear it. :zzz:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing, especially considering that Palin is more popular than McCain.....and Obama!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crazyeffinjetsfan;2729425]So much for Osamas earth shattering 38.4 Million.

OK, let's hear it. :zzz:[/QUOTE]

It is amazing but can you please stop calling him Osama? It makes you look ignorant.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crazyeffinjetsfan;2729425]So much for Osamas earth shattering 38.4 Million.

Wait, I don't get it.

People criticize Obama for being a celebrity and point to the 38.4 million viewers for his speech as the latest sign.

But McCain gets slightly more and he's [B]not[/B] a celebrity?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It's obvious that McCain is the more captivating speaker.:D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad it was such a lackluster speech. What a missed opportunity in front of all those eyeballs!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;2729447]Wait, I don't get it.

People criticize Obama for being a celebrity and point to the 38.4 million viewers for his speech as the latest sign.

But McCain gets slightly more and he's [B]not[/B] a celebrity?[/QUOTE]

Hilarious, isn't it?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Palin was the messiah?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2729484]Hilarious, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Totally. It's like when Obama rips McCain and people say he's showing "toughness" but when the GOP rips Obama, they are being "shrill" and "playing to the base" or "turning off independents." Hilarity on stilts.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And he pulled it off on a night when his most ardent supporters (kinda older dudes) HAD to be watching football. Obama certainly did not have that obstacle to overcome.

But really, who gives a damn?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2729453]It's obvious that McCain is the more captivating speaker.:D[/QUOTE]

lol, man, he is brutal

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;2729447]

[/QUOTE]

How are giant ratings anything but a positive for a candidate? Who said that?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2729453]It's obvious that McCain is the more captivating speaker.:D[/QUOTE]

I cringe when he keeps blinking and throws that fake smile out there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2729465]Too bad it was such a lackluster speech. What a missed opportunity in front of all those eyeballs![/QUOTE]

I have a feeling the polling numbers won't bear out that sentiment? I loved both Obama's and McCain's speaches. I thought they were both excellent and made me feel that we actually have 2 pretty decent candidates at least in comparison to the last two elections.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

America fights the bullies - Europe Appeases Them.

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2729465]Too bad it was such a lackluster speech. What a missed opportunity in front of all those eyeballs![/QUOTE]

It was not a lackluster speech. He is not a great orator-- but many of our nominees and presidents were also not brilliant speakers.

HIS WORDS CAME FROM the Heart . Of someone who has been places and seen things most of us will never thankfully see. The Leftist- almost-Communist agenda of the ( new ) Democratic Party, nominated this guy over Hillary; so they have to live with it. I don't want America to look like most European nations with 50 per cent tax rates and a surrender mentality toward evil doers and terrorists.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate John McCain beat Democratic rival Barack Obama in the crucial battle to attract U.S. television viewers during their race to the White House, according to figures released on Friday.
    Nielsen Media Research said a record 38.9 million TV viewers watched McCain accept the Republican nomination on Thursday, slightly more than the 38.3 million people who tuned in for Obama's speech last week.
    McCain's tally was believed to be the biggest commercial TV audience every for a single night of a U.S. political convention, Nielsen said.
    The Republican convention in St. Paul also attracted more average viewers overall than the Democratic Party convention in Denver last week.
    McCain, 72, trails Obama only slightly in most national opinion polls as they head into the November 4 presidential election that will make history either by putting the first African-American into the White House, or choosing the first female vice president.
    Nielsen said an average 34.4 million people watched the Republican convention over its main three days. The convention was scaled back on it's opening day as Hurricane Gustav made landfall on the U.S. Gulf Coast.
    An average 30.2 million viewers tuned in to the four-day Democratic Convention in Denver, Nielsen said.
    McCain had the daunting task of following his surprise pick for running mate -- little known Alaska governor Sarah Palin -- who had fired up the convention a day earlier with a feisty speech hitting back at critics who questioned her credentials for the job.
    Some observers had worried that Palin might upstage McCain, whose reception inside the convention center in St. Paul was more muted than the cheers for the self-described "hockey mom" and mother of five.
    Palin's national prime-time TV debut on Wednesday was watched on television by 37.2 million Americans.
    McCain touted his credentials as a reformer and portrayed himself as the real agent of change in the race against Obama as he accepted his party's presidential nomination in an arena filled with supporters waving blue "Country First" signs.
    "I don't work for a party. I don't work for a special interest. I don't work for myself. I work for you," McCain said in a speech that included only passing criticisms of Obama after a convention marked by scathing attacks on the Democrat.
    Eight U.S. TV networks carried McCain's speech live during prime time.
    With the conventions and the selections of running mates out of the way, the next big milestone in nationwide audience terms is the first of three presidential debates, on September 26 in Oxford, Mississippi.
    By comparison, 34.9 million U.S. television viewers watched the opening ceremonies for the Beijing Olympics in August and talent show "American Idol," the most watched TV show in the nation, averaged 28.1 million viewers last season.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    First of all who really cares how many people watch this to begin with. It's like just because the news carriers said how man people watched Obama's speech, you took that personal and have to TELL EVERYONE that you beat the dems rating!! Instead of boasting about the ratings, why dont you start boasting about the lack of issues in American that Palin nor Mcain lacked to talk about!! Let's get to the issues of our failing country. Palin has no clue what to talk about other then talking shi... about the Dems!! And Mcain once again told the nation AGAIN that he was tortured in NAM. I really think this old crow is living in the past. His wife wore a 3,200 alfit for the her husbands speech. Now wonder they are out of touch how America is hurting. Let alone Macain not knowing how many houses he owns. Palin is under investigation in her own state. If it was Obama's daughter that was pregnant could you imagine the outrage saying how they have no family values and how they should just bow out of the race because it does not represent the right America we want to represent. The Republicans had 4 years to dismember the United States. Then they had another 4 to try to fix it. But instead they disembowled the United States. I am a proud combat veteran. I have been to Afghanistan and Iraq multiple times. But it is truly sad how my country has fell to the depths of hell. I have faith our country can rebound. But if we have another four years of the same regime. I fear the worst. God Bless America

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetsin1999;2729612]First of all who really cares how many people watch this to begin with. It's like just because the news carriers said how man people watched Obama's speech, you took that personal and have to TELL EVERYONE that you beat the dems rating!! Instead of boasting about the ratings, why dont you start boasting about the lack of issues in American that Palin nor Mcain lacked to talk about!! Let's get to the issues of our failing country. Palin has no clue what to talk about other then talking shi... about the Dems!! And Mcain once again told the nation AGAIN that he was tortured in NAM. I really think this old crow is living in the past. His wife wore a 3,200 alfit for the her husbands speech. Now wonder they are out of touch how America is hurting. Let alone Macain not knowing how many houses he owns. Palin is under investigation in her own state. If it was Obama's daughter that was pregnant could you imagine the outrage saying how they have no family values and how they should just bow out of the race because it does not represent the right America we want to represent. The Republicans had 4 years to dismember the United States. Then they had another 4 to try to fix it. But instead they disembowled the United States. I am a proud combat veteran. I have been to Afghanistan and Iraq multiple times. But it is truly sad how my country has fell to the depths of hell. I have faith our country can rebound. But if we have another four years of the same regime. I fear the worst. God Bless America[/QUOTE]

You're a great American.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    McCain beats Hussein despite not having BET, TV1 or Telemondo broadcasting the Republican convention.... all of which broadcast the Democratic convention.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetsin1999;2729612][B]First of all who really cares how many people watch this to begin with. [/B]It's like just because the news carriers said how man people watched Obama's speech, you took that personal and have to TELL EVERYONE that you beat the dems rating!! Instead of boasting about the ratings, why dont you start boasting about the lack of issues in American that Palin nor Mcain lacked to talk about!! Let's get to the issues of our failing country. Palin has no clue what to talk about other then talking shi... about the Dems!! And Mcain once again told the nation AGAIN that he was tortured in NAM. I really think this old crow is living in the past. His wife wore a 3,200 alfit for the her husbands speech. Now wonder they are out of touch how America is hurting. Let alone Macain not knowing how many houses he owns. Palin is under investigation in her own state. If it was Obama's daughter that was pregnant could you imagine the outrage saying how they have no family values and how they should just bow out of the race because it does not represent the right America we want to represent. The Republicans had 4 years to dismember the United States. Then they had another 4 to try to fix it. But instead they disembowled the United States. I am a proud combat veteran. I have been to Afghanistan and Iraq multiple times. But it is truly sad how my country has fell to the depths of hell. I have faith our country can rebound. But if we have another four years of the same regime. I fear the worst. God Bless America[/QUOTE]

I would think viewer ratings would mean a lot, but I understand that it's not what the main premise of your post is about.

I think you hit on McCain's biggest obstacle, separating himself from Bush.

One thing I think you're off base on is the, if Obama's daughter was pregnant, metaphor. Despite your party, there is no way a reasonable person can't see the liberal media bias in this country.
    As an independent it makes me sick and only draws me closer to the Republican side.

Thank you for your service btw!