Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Palin didn't sell any jet on eBay

Palin didn't sell any jet on eBay

misleading GOP falsehood of the day, volume IV, Chapter 3, subsection B:

[SIZE="4"][B][CENTER]Palin’s Plane Not Sold in EBay[/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

[url]http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/05/plane_not_sold_on_ebay.html[/url]
    By Anne E. Kornblut
    (c) 2008, The Washington Post

WASHINGTON — One of the most compelling anecdotes in Sarah Palin’s repertoire is that she auctioned off the Alaska governor’s jet on eBay after taking office — a swift move made by a reformer hoping to clean up the excesses of her predecessor.

But in fact, the jet did not sell on eBay. It was sold to a businessman from Valdez named Larry Reynolds, who paid $2.1 million for the plane, shy of the original $2.7 million purchase price, according to news reports at the time. Reynolds contributed to Palin’s campaign in 2006.

What happened? It appears that, as she promised during her bid for governor, Palin did try to sell the plane on eBay, but there was only one serious bid, in December of 2006, and it fell through. The Westwind II was sold about eight months later, achieving Palin’s goal of ridding the state of a luxury item.

But that hasn’t stopped Palin, or McCain, from implying — and, Friday, claiming outright — that Palin sold the jet on the Internet.

“You know what I enjoyed the most? She took the luxury jet that was acquired by her predecessor, and sold it on eBay — and made a profit!” McCain declared in Wisconsin at a campaign stop Friday.

The video tribute to Palin that aired at the Republican National Convention on Thursday night made the same claim.

“She signed sweeping ethics reform legislation, auctioned the governor’s jet on eBay,” the narrator said, citing it in a list of Palin’s achievements.

Palin herself, in her convention speech accepting the nomination for vice-president, gave a version closer to the truth but still left the impression the jet was sold in a public transaction. “That luxury jet was over the top. I put it on eBay,” Palin said.

keep grasping at straws. too weak to even respond to.

well, if true it does display them bending the truth to perpetuate a certain narrative, that doesn't seem to exist in reality.

She still sold it though....just not in the "golly gee" good feel sort of way

Did people actually think she sold it on ebay? Seriously?

Look, I'm going to vote for McCain, but im not a repubican nor conservative...
    You mean to tell me it didn't automatically register that it was a joke?

There's no way, you're either full of it or in 5th grade if so.

[QUOTE=HessStation;2730248]Did people actually think she sold it on ebay? Seriously?

There's no way, you're either full of it or in 5th grade if so.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes... when the Con party is caught in a distortion or falsehood, the best form of damage control is to pretend "everyone knew" it was just a joke, and anyone who didn't "get it" must be "an idiot."

Noted.

I don't care if you call yourself not conservative or republican or not. The fact of the matter is, you run to the defense of republican missteps at every turn.

[QUOTE=HessStation;2730248]Did people actually think she sold it on ebay? Seriously?

There's no way, you're either full of it or in 5th grade if so.[/QUOTE]

I think there are plenty of people who believed this and were charmed by the comment.....

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2730251]Ah yes... when the Con party is caught in a distortion or falsehood, the best form of damage control is to pretend "everyone knew" it was just a joke, and anyone who didn't "get it" must be "an idiot."

Noted.

I don't care if you call yourself not conservative or republican or not. The fact of the matter is, you run to the defense of republican missteps at every turn.[/QUOTE]

WRONG! I run to defend common sense. I'm still waiting for you to give one good reason to not like Palin's character. Because I sure as hell don't agree with all her policies. But keep trying to find things most independents don't give a **** about.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

She said: "I put it on eBay."

That is 100% true.

McCain simply relayed the story as he interpreted her simple comment. You really think Palin and McCain's conversations at this point are about selling a jet on eBay?

This is what you got? Tell me again how Obama's grandfather liberated Auschwitz.
    Last edited by shakin318; 09-05-2008 at 11:00 PM.

[QUOTE=shakin318;2730270]She said: "I put it on eBay."

That is 100% true.

McCain simply relayed the story as he interpreted her simple comment. You really think Palin and McCain's conversations at this point are about selling a jet on eBay?

This is what you got? Tell me again how Obama's grandfather liberated Auschwitz.[/QUOTE]

McCain said she sold it on EBAY and made a profit.....not accurate...

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRHBivWoHWw[/url]

not a big deal, but no need to distort it and cover up their gaffe.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=piney;2730279]McCain said she sold it on EBAY and made a profit.....not accurate...

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRHBivWoHWw[/url]

not a big deal, but no need to distort it and cover up their gaffe.[/QUOTE]

This shyte is just too rich...the next 8 weeks are going to be a blast...the lefties in this country are going to leave an indelible mark thoroughly exposing their hypocrisy, childishness, pettiness and viciousness (did I mention hypocrisy?) for all to see, for all time. I'm gonna go make some popcorn.

All League
    Meh. It's a lie of omission but not a serious one. I don't know a politician in the world that hasn't said similarly stretched the truth. I think Palin is a disaster but this particular item isn't a big deal.

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2730251]Ah yes... when the Con party is caught in a distortion or falsehood, the best form of damage control is to pretend "everyone knew" it was just a joke, and anyone who didn't "get it" must be "an idiot."

Noted.

I don't care if you call yourself not conservative or republican or not. The fact of the matter is, you run to the defense of republican missteps at every turn.[/QUOTE]

And so you know I've voted Clinton, Gore and Kerry in the past. 50/50 on smaller platforms. I think Bush is and always has been a disaster. I like and respect McCain because he crosses party lines and does what he thinks not what his party thinks, however much I don't always agree. I don't agree with Palin especially on social issues, however much I'm mostly indifferent to gay rights, abortion, guns etc.

But what's not to like about the womans character besides the bs the left is spewing. Of the Dem candidates I have liked Obama best and have defended him when being called a muslim, america hater etc. I have no huge issues with him becoming president. I think his pick of Biden was a bad choice. I think the Palin pick was a great, gutsy choice. There you have it.

[QUOTE=shakin318;2730286]This shyte is just too rich...the next 8 weeks are going to be a blast...the lefties in this country are going to leave an indelible mark thoroughly exposing their hypocrisy, childishness, pettiness and viciousness (did I mention hypocrisy?) for all to see, for all time. I'm gonna go make some popcorn.[/QUOTE]

wow, way to dodge...

but did you say hypocrisy? You mean like the right has been displaying all week with their fake outrage over the Palin criticisms....

Like ROve blasting the idea of Picking Kaine (only governor for three years, small city mayor) and then praising and defending Palin on the same exact things...

The right is going to provide a lot of video tape on this one...one where they call Hillary shrill and then berate people as sexist for claiming Palin is shrill....

at least admit that both sides are hypocrites...unless you drink the kool aid

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2730290]Meh. It's a lie of omission but not a serious one. I don't know a politician in the world that hasn't said similarly stretched the truth. I think Palin is a disaster but this particular item isn't a big deal.[/QUOTE]

I agree...not a big deal....but I like to tweak people who have a double standard...and many righties would kill Obama for doing the same thing....

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2730251]"everyone knew" it was just a joke, and anyone who didn't "get it" must be "an idiot."

[/QUOTE]
    Yes. Exactly. You sound too smart to be an "idiot" so you must be full of it.

[QUOTE=HessStation;2730304]Yes. Exactly. You sound too smart to be an "idiot" so you must be full of it.[/QUOTE]

dude, there are plenty of people who bought it as accurate....

[QUOTE=piney;2730308]dude, there are plenty of people who bought it as accurate....[/QUOTE]

Yes, the same people who pick up an US magazine at the supermarket and think this Obama guy is perfect and this Palin ***** is a whore.

Btw it was, she said she put it on ebay not sold it.

Veteran
    Are you kidding? Everyone took that comment seriously.. people sell airplanes/houses on ebay all the time. It WAS meant seriously.

Someone just needs to inform McCain to stick with 'she put it on ebay' rather than she sold it there.

Palin didn't lie and McCain misunderstood.. I'm sure he won't say it again.

[QUOTE=HessStation;2730310]Yes, the same people who pick up an US magazine at the supermarket and think this Obama guy is perfect and this Palin ***** is a whore.[/QUOTE]

agreed

although the difference here is that this is coming from the politicians mouths and not some magazine.

Look, I don't think this is a big deal, but it is a tool that is useful to charm and woo some people into feeling good about Palin.....

[QUOTE=HessStation;2730310]Yes, the same people who pick up an US magazine at the supermarket and think this Obama guy is perfect and this Palin ***** is a whore.

Btw it was, she said she put it on ebay not sold it.[/QUOTE]

Right on! Once again, stupid libs don't listen(Unless it's St. Obama)