Thread: This election from a non american view (if anyone is even interested)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

This election from a non american view (if anyone is even interested)

Alright first off I wanna say I dont really care who wins this election, its not my country and to be honest i dont think there will be much difference in the way either party runs it once they are in power (its the same the world over). If pushed to pick a side I would probably pick the dems, but only for the reason that i'm pro-choice/anti-creationism etc but as i said before I dont really care which one gets in, i'm mainly interested in this election because its getting a fair bit of media attention world wide. So i thought i'd post my thoughts on it as about as un-biased an observer you can get (i'm not going to mention issues i am biased on like the whole choice debate).

First general thing, I can understand people are passionate about politics but the celebrating and carry on at both conventions just seems nuts to me, its like the politicians have just succeeded in a revolution the way the convention go-ers carry on. The speeches at these too, on both sides, lack any substance and seem to be just driven by obtaining media grabs and getting people excited with movie style one-liners, its all so put on and such a big wank fest over themselves its a little disturbing. I guess though if one party does it the other has to with the way media coverage is.

Now the Dems:
    Obama, about the most interesting thing about him is that he is black and running for president. Yes he gives good speeches, hes got a good voice for it, but as an outsider looking in he seems pretty plain, not bad but nothing fantastic.

Biden, umm ok, just seems like the safe pick, bit of nothing really. And to be honest takes a bit of sting out of Obamas momentum if you ask me because he seems like every other politician.

clinton, at least she didn't get up, this woman seems scary even from afar and i always found something about bill disturbing too...

The Repubs:
    McCain, he looks like crap on tv, seems to be almost a bit lost in what to do and seems weak. Has a nice story behind him but its too nice, sort of feel like saying let the poor old man go retire and get some rest.

Palin, seems like someone you wouldn't want in any of the important jobs of politics. Can fire up ok but seems a bit like a clinton in the making. The kid being preggers isn't a good thing since she is for the no sex form of contraception among other things, and the now future husband (geez they got him out there and cleaned up quick didn't they!) seems like a liability unless they can keep him shut up. So far she seems a bit too gimmicky but still much more interesting and interested than McCain.

Overall, the repubs have the problem that their VP candidate is much more popular with their base and the media (story/air time wise) than their actual candidate and that she is much more polarising to the general public than him (which is something i assumed they would be trying to avoid if they wanted to win this election)

Dems seem to have slowed down and come back in a bit more from being the big 'change' makers. Its a little bizzare also that the repubs are now touting themselves as the change makers coming to washington...

The whole experience debate/argument has been completely killed off by both parties vp selections it seems.

If I had to pick who I thought would win at this stage, i'd have to say Obama, for the reasons that he is more likely to get new voters out and for the fact that the repubs seem to have started to go back to further right wing ideals/becoming more polarising to the general swing voters. Plus McCain looks really bad....

Just my thoughts, would be happy for those who think i've missed something to tell me or if you just disagree with me then why (try to keep it un-biased though) I wouldn't mind finding out more actual information about whats going on, so no gimmicky lines about brothers/mothers/twist his words like this/once met so and so etc

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ragnarok14;2730350]

Its a little bizzare also that the repubs are now touting themselves as the change makers coming to washington...

[/QUOTE]

We're cute whooores, arent we? LOL

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ragnarok14;2730350]Alright first off I wanna say I dont really care who wins this election, its not my country and to be honest i dont think there will be much difference in the way either party runs it once they are in power (its the same the world over). If pushed to pick a side I would probably pick the dems, but only for the reason that i'm pro-choice/anti-creationism etc but as i said before I dont really care which one gets in, i'm mainly interested in this election because its getting a fair bit of media attention world wide. So i thought i'd post my thoughts on it as about as un-biased an observer you can get (i'm not going to mention issues i am biased on like the whole choice debate).

First general thing, I can understand people are passionate about politics but the celebrating and carry on at both conventions just seems nuts to me, its like the politicians have just succeeded in a revolution the way the convention go-ers carry on. The speeches at these too, on both sides, lack any substance and seem to be just driven by obtaining media grabs and getting people excited with movie style one-liners, its all so put on and such a big wank fest over themselves its a little disturbing. I guess though if one party does it the other has to with the way media coverage is.

Now the Dems:
    Obama, about the most interesting thing about him is that he is black and running for president. Yes he gives good speeches, hes got a good voice for it, but as an outsider looking in he seems pretty plain, not bad but nothing fantastic.

Biden, umm ok, just seems like the safe pick, bit of nothing really. And to be honest takes a bit of sting out of Obamas momentum if you ask me because he seems like every other politician.

clinton, at least she didn't get up, this woman seems scary even from afar and i always found something about bill disturbing too...

The Repubs:
    McCain, he looks like crap on tv, seems to be almost a bit lost in what to do and seems weak. Has a nice story behind him but its too nice, sort of feel like saying let the poor old man go retire and get some rest.

Palin, seems like someone you wouldn't want in any of the important jobs of politics. Can fire up ok but seems a bit like a clinton in the making. The kid being preggers isn't a good thing since she is for the no sex form of contraception among other things, and the now future husband (geez they got him out there and cleaned up quick didn't they!) seems like a liability unless they can keep him shut up. So far she seems a bit too gimmicky but still much more interesting and interested than McCain.

Overall, the repubs have the problem that their VP candidate is much more popular with their base and the media (story/air time wise) than their actual candidate and that she is much more polarising to the general public than him (which is something i assumed they would be trying to avoid if they wanted to win this election)

Dems seem to have slowed down and come back in a bit more from being the big 'change' makers. Its a little bizzare also that the repubs are now touting themselves as the change makers coming to washington...

The whole experience debate/argument has been completely killed off by both parties vp selections it seems.

If I had to pick who I thought would win at this stage, i'd have to say Obama, for the reasons that he is more likely to get new voters out and for the fact that the repubs seem to have started to go back to further right wing ideals/becoming more polarising to the general swing voters. Plus McCain looks really bad....

Just my thoughts, would be happy for those who think i've missed something to tell me or if you just disagree with me then why (try to keep it un-biased though) I wouldn't mind finding out more actual information about whats going on, so no gimmicky lines about brothers/mothers/twist his words like this/once met so and so etc[/QUOTE]

What country are you from?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kaol;2730362]What country are you from?[/QUOTE]

Miami.

This is [B]ChadFinNoodle10[/B] from within the hurricane bunker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;2730367]Miami.

This is [B]ChadFinNoodle10[/B] from within the hurricane bunker.[/QUOTE]

lol, no offense to you rag but that was just funny

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    None taken :)

and kaol i'm from Australia

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ragnarok14;2730412]None taken :)

and kaol i'm from Australia[/QUOTE]

In that case, I'm surprised you're not pro-Obama. I lived there for awhile and was a big fan of mr. johnny howard! But I guess most people aren't..

Only in Australia would a PM get elected after being caught in a strip club.. I love it!

(ps I still can't get over the dole)
    Last edited by NinjaJet; 09-06-2008 at 12:34 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NinjaJet;2730426] (ps I still can't get over the dole)[/QUOTE]

Me neither!

[IMG]http://www.shsu.edu/~pin_www/pics/bobdole250.jpg[/IMG]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NinjaJet;2730426]In that case, I'm surprised you're not pro-Obama. I lived there for awhile and was a big fan of mr. johnny howard! But I guess most people aren't..

Only in Australia would a PM get elected after being caught in a strip club.. I love it!

(ps I still can't get over the dole)[/QUOTE]

Duly noted.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NinjaJet;2730426]In that case, I'm surprised you're not pro-Obama. I lived there for awhile and was a big fan of mr. johnny howard! But I guess most people aren't..

(ps I still can't get over the dole)[/QUOTE]

I prefer john howard over kevin rudd, Rudd gets caught in a strip club and then wusses out by saying he was too drunk to remember causing a ruckus and cried on the phone to his wife the next morning!

Most australians just like to bag whoever is in power if they aren't interested in politics. I liked him, most people did but it just came time for him to move on. There certainly isn't as much difference between the two major parties here and there are far less people who are extreme supports of either (its just the labor extremists get the media attention because the unions pay for it).

Most peole aren't pro-obama here either, its just that the people who like to rage against the 'man' get the attention and at the moment Bush is the man so by default McCain would be liked less. I dont think Australians would ever vote for a candidate that wanted to bring in things like banning the options for abortions for women, make creationism the only thing taught in schools etc though (not saying you cant believe in those things). John Howard would be one who would be for those sorts of things but he was smart enough to never propose such a thing, would be instant political suicide here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ragnarok14;2730468]I prefer john howard over kevin rudd, Rudd gets caught in a strip club and then wusses out by saying he was too drunk to remember causing a ruckus and cried on the phone to his wife the next morning!

Most australians just like to bag whoever is in power if they aren't interested in politics. I liked him, most people did but it just came time for him to move on. There certainly isn't as much difference between the two major parties here and there are far less people who are extreme supports of either (its just the labor extremists get the media attention because the unions pay for it).

Most peole aren't pro-obama here either, its just that the people who like to rage against the 'man' get the attention and at the moment Bush is the man so by default McCain would be liked less. I dont think Australians would ever vote for a candidate that wanted to bring in things like banning the options for abortions for women, make creationism the only thing taught in schools etc though (not saying you cant believe in those things). John Howard would be one who would be for those sorts of things but he was smart enough to never propose such a thing, would be instant political suicide here.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, where in Australia are you? I lived in Brisbane but pretty much everywhere. If you're drinking some bundy, I'm going to be infinitely jealous ;). I also miss neighbours and greta (shhh)!!!

I remember exactly what youre saying about Aus politics. Everyone is pretty much indifferent and very bandwagoney. One thing is for sure - everyone finds bush to be an idiot. As for the the mandatory voting, not too keen on that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NinjaJet;2730476]Yeah, where in Australia are you? I lived in Brisbane but pretty much everywhere. If you're drinking some bundy, I'm going to be infinitely jealous ;). I also miss neighbours and greta (shhh)!!!

I remember exactly what youre saying about Aus politics. Everyone is pretty much indifferent and very bandwagoney. One thing is for sure - everyone finds bush to be an idiot. As for the the mandatory voting, not too keen on that.[/QUOTE]

I'm just north of brisbane :) not drinking bundy atm though, got a presentation to work on that needs finishing.

Mandatory voting is a little bit of a hassle but i think overall it works out for the best, it means you dont end up with anyone that leans to far either way. Plus its not like you have to vote, you just gotta show up and get your name ticked off. Plus for some weird reason it seems to make getting the results of an election go much quicker/smoother, go figure?