Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanger torn MCL out for 1 year...

Practice Squad

Wanger torn MCL out for 1 year...

Just heard on the fan out for one year torn mcl in throwing arm....

Here is the story:

Wagner's Mets career in jeopardy
    Closer to miss 12 months with tear of flexor pronator and MCL
    By Ted Berg / SNY.tv

According to a Mets team official, Billy Wagner was examined Monday in New York and diagnosed with a tear of his flexor pronator and MCL in his left elbow. The left-handed reliever will require surgery, which is expected to be performed something this week. The Mets official said the recovery time should take about a full year.

Wagner was placed on the disabled list on Aug. 5, retroactively to Aug. 3, initially due to forearm stiffness. He felt pain and discomfort again in the elbow during a simulated game at Shea Stadium on Sunday.

The injury could mean that Wagner has pitched his last game for the Mets. The team signed Wagner to a four-year, $43 million contract before the 2006 season. The club holds a $10 million option on his contract for 2010.
    Ted Berg is the senior editorial producer for SNY.tv. He can be reached at tberg@sny.tv or via the Flushing Fussing Facebook group.

All Pro
    They've stayed atop the NL East without for a while now. I still think they win the division. They are definitely going to need to do some shopping for a closer in the off-season though.

All Pro
    Omar/K-Rod must be estatic. Now he can sign his boy K-Rod

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    They've stayed atop the NL East without for a while now. I still think they win the division. They are definitely going to need to do some shopping for a closer in the off-season though.
    Isn't Rodriguez a free agent after this season?

Edit: Thanks for the confirmation BayRidge. Omar will thorw all the money in the world at him. Plus, I think I heard he isn't too please with the Angels.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Omar/K-Rod must be estatic. Now he can sign his boy K-Rod
    It's going to cost some major dough, but that would be a hell of a signing for the Mets.

Wow, I know this sucks for THIS YEAR but wow it's all but inevitable that the Mets get K-Rod. That will be a team that will be able to shut the door. Now I wonder once Wagner gets better if he's willing to relegate himself to "set-up duty"

If he does 8-9 innings will be happy ones for you met fans.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious89x View Post
    Wow, I know this sucks for THIS YEAR but wow it's all but inevitable that the Mets get K-Rod. That will be a team that will be able to shut the door. Now I wonder once Wagner gets better if he's willing to relegate himself to "set-up duty"

If he does 8-9 innings will be happy ones for you met fans.
    Don't count on Wagner welcoming the set-up role with open arms. I have a feeling that may cause some problems. It looks like Wagner will miss most, if not all, of next season anyway so the Mets won't even get a chance to experiment with that.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 09-08-2008 at 02:28 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Don't count on Wagner welcoming the set-up role with open arms. I have a feeling that may cause some problems.
    Won't matter.

He's got one year left. A year he won't be a part of barring a miracle. He can't intrude on what the Mets are doing, they are going to act likes hes retired. Rightfully so.

Wagner announced 09 was his last year so he may not even try to rehab.

Won't matter.

He's got one year left. A year he won't be a part of barring a miracle. He can't intrude on what the Mets are doing, they are going to act likes hes retired. Rightfully so.

Ah I was unaware of the time left on his deal.

K-Rod in the 9th will still be nice though.

Mets haven't seemed to miss a beat without Wagner though, I heard today that Maine might come back in the Pen. I think he could do well there as he seems to have that mental make-up to pitch those high leverage innings/games.

All Pro
    Won't matter.

Yea, I edited to include that.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't want any part of K-Rod for the price that he will command.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    I don't want any part of K-Rod for the price that he will command.
    Neither do I.

15 million and a violent motion.

Hall Of Fame
    I have no problem with signing K-Rod.

His K rate is back up (27 K in 17.1 Innings Post ASB), His BB rate is way down (4 BB in 17.1 Innings Post ASB), his Velocity is more 92-93 now then the 90-91 it was earlier in the season. That he's not throwing 94-96 mph anymore is by choice, he altered his mechanics this spring to lessen the stress on his body and to improve control (after the adjustment period obviously).

This is not a pitcher that is wearing down from a high workload, this is a pitcher that is pitching some of his best baseball right now.

You would be buying his Age 27-31 years, assuming he signs a 5 year deal. Not exactly ages typically associated with a players decline, even among those with violent mechanics such as Pedro.

All Pro
    15 Million is a lot of dough and he seems to put a lot of people on base but this team had closed out even half of their blown saves they would have a comfortable lead right now. If not K-Rod, who are we gonna sign.

What about Fuentes?

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think it'll take 15 per, most of the large markets (The ones that can afford to pay that much) are already locked in at closer. Really, it's us, Detroit, and the Angels who will be looking for a closer. (You'd expect the Cubs to want to keep Wood, and if not they'd opt for Marmol)...and the Angels last offer to K-Rod was about 3/32, something that'll get topped easily unless they open up the coin purse.

My guess, 4 years, slightly north of 50 million so he can call himself the highest paid closer.

All League
    This might be a blessing in disguise. The team also seems to be a little uneasy around Wagner and deservedly so...It also feels like our team chemistry is better without him. I almost blew a vein when I heard Ayala would be closing but I can't ***** because its worked so far. Now maybe we can go out and sign a younger lights out closer like K-Rod or to a lesser degree maybe Brian Fuentes.

But no doubt about it do we benefit by losing him, this is a blow to the team just not as large now because we've already had our adjustment period.

We can't dwell on this, just have to take it on the chin and move forward.

All League
    I'd also like Kerry Wood, but theres a 5% chance he signs anywhere but Chicago.

Bum.

It wouldn't hurt to take a look at Rafael Soriano as a lost cost option.

Hall Of Fame
    Very unfortunate. Im not Wagner fan but he did do one thing I liked and that was leave his heart out on the field. Guys will have to step up, that's all. Hope Wags has a speedy recovery.

Banned
    K-Rod is a no doubter for sure now. I can defiantly see K-Rod in NY with the Mets, he'll fit right in.