Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Dems Credit Palin with Killing Bridge to Nowhere

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Alaska Dems Credit Palin with Killing Bridge to Nowhere

[QUOTE][B]Fighting a Different Alaska Republican, Alaska Dems Credit Palin with Killing Bridge to Nowhere
    September 08, 2008 4:38 PM[/B]

Conservative bloggers point out that in their campaign against Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, Alaska Democrats gave credit to Gov. Palin for helping to kill the Bridge to Nowhere.

“Gov. Sarah Palin said the $398 million bridge was $329 million short of full funding, and only $36 million in federal funds were set aside for it," the Democrats say. "She said it was clear Congress had little interest in spending any more money for it and that the state had higher priorities."

On another page the Dems say, “Gov. Palin recently cancelled the Gravina Island Bridge near Ketchikan that would have connected the Alaska mainland with Gravina Island (population: 50)."

When good oppo goes bad!
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/fighting-a-diff.html[/url]

[url]http://www.retireted.com/category/real-estate/gravina-bridge/[/url]

[url]http://www.retireted.com/teds-connections/earmarks/[/url]

She did help kill it. After she lobbied in favor of it and bragged about landing it. And then after she "killed" the earmark, she kept the money and used it for other purposes (ie. invented her own earmark-like purpose at odds with the purpose of the bill it was included in,)

I personally have no problem with a governor or mayor aggressively seeking federal earmarks for their state or city, as Palin clearly did. Those are their constituents.

I do have a problem when they pretend to be against something they were a driving force in favor of right up until the minute it became politically toxic.

[url]http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/Y/H/2/palin-nowhere-alaska.jpg[/url]
    Last edited by nuu faaola; 09-08-2008 at 05:56 PM.

I am thankful we are fortunate enough to have these liberally biased sources of all things political to get us the actual truth.

This is not a knock against Nuu, but it seems to me that every time one side puts up a definitive source to contradict, the other side does, too. Sometimes enough is enough.

The facts are that Palin no longer has personal servants at her residence, she got rid of her chauffeur and drove herself to work, she got money back to Alaska for the plane and, under her watch, there is no bridge. Most importantly, she actually did suspend the gas tax in Alaska. The entire package projects a keep taxes and spending low persona and practice. The fact is that that source, even if accurate in this one case, is actually trying to distort the truth.

As much as I am for McCain - Palin and dread the thought of an Obama presidency, some of the distortions about him are just as misleading.

And please don't use the "the candidate is a liar" logic. Save taht for something significant (maybe the trooper situation or Obama/Ehres and the case of Obama & the Infant Born Alive Bill. Ever since Bill Clinton, both sides try to pin everything as a lie.

Here's a novel idea. Respect each candidate for who they are (OK, I have a hard time with Biden.) Just say that their vision for America is not yours and vote for the guy (or gal - first time I have had to say that!) you like.

A little honor and a little integrity. I loved one Obama said to lay off Palin's daughter - he was born under such circumstances. I loved that McCain sincerely complemented Obama in his speech and stuck to the issues.

Sometimes I think we as Americans are stupid. While I don;t trust Obama as a leader because he comes from the global community/ UN mindset, he's not a closet terrorist. McCain, t o anyone with half a brain, is NOT 4 more years of Bush ....... in fact, he and Bush have never been similar.

Well, maybe America is not so stupid after all. They are not falling for the 4 more years of Bush line and McCain is up 10% among likely voters.

I am done venting..............
    Last edited by JCnflies; 09-08-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Leave out her emotional decisions about her brother in-law and the town she put into debt.

[QUOTE=JCnflies;2738160]I am thankful we are fortunate enough to have these liberally biased sources of all things political to get us the actual truth.

This is not a knock against Nuu, but it seems to me that every time one side puts up a definitive source to contradict, the other side does, too. Sometimes enough is enough.

The facts are that Palin no longer has personal servants at her residence, she got rid of her chauffeur and drove herself to work, she got money back to Alaska for the plane and, under her watch, there is no bridge. Most importantly, she actually did suspend the gas tax in Alaska. The entire package projects a keep taxes and spending low persona. THe fact is that that source, even if accurate in this one case, is actually trying to distort and overall truth.

As much as I am for McCain - Palin and dread the thought of an Obama presidency, some of the distortions about him are just as misleading.[/QUOTE]

"...Picture yourself in a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies. Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly, a girl with kaleidoscope eyes..."

And the girl with kaleidoscope eyes, and wearing only a Brett Favre JETS jersey, surely must be Sarah 'Barracuda' Palin!!

And she's calling....ME!?! YES!!!!!!

:lovers:

[QUOTE=JCnflies;2738160]I am thankful we are fortunate enough to have these liberally biased sources of all things political to get us the actual truth.

The facts are that Palin no longer has personal servants at her residence, she got rid of her chauffeur and drove herself to work, she got money back to Alaska for the plane and, under her watch, there is no bridge. Most importantly, she actually did suspend the gas tax in Alaska. The entire package projects a keep taxes and spending low persona. THe fact is that that source, even if accurate in this one case, is actually trying to distort and overall truth.

As much as I am for McCain - Palin and dread the thought of an Obama presidency, some of the distortions about him are just as misleading.[/QUOTE]

JCN,

While you are certainly right about the consequences of a politically polarized media -- a topic that deserves its own thread if not its own board-- the facts of this particular topic are pretty much the same everywhere.

Undisputed sequence:

1) Palin hires a lobbying firm to snare earmarks, including the bridge to nowhere.

2) Palin celebrates landing the earmark by having "nowhere" t-shirts printed up.

[url]http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/Y/H/2/palin-nowhere-alaska.jpg[/url]

3) Palin kills bridge to nowhere after it becomes object of national ridicule, but keeps earmark money for other state projects.

4) Palin boasts of her opposition to bridge in her introductory and acceptance speeches in order to paint herself as a "reformer."

None of that is in dispute. CBNY's thread is intended to highlight No. 3, and it's accurate, but he ignores the rest of the sequence.

[IMG]http://mowabb.com/ai/images/stalking.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2738171]"...Picture yourself in a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies. Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly, a girl with kaleidoscope eyes..."

And the girl with kaleidoscope eyes, and wearing only a Brett Favre JETS jersey, surely must be Sarah 'Barracuda' Palin!!

And she's calling....ME!?! YES!!!!!!

:lovers:[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JCnflies;2738160]The facts are that Palin no longer has personal servants at her residence...[/QUOTE]

LMFAO...

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2738176]JCN,

While you are certainly right about the consequences of a politically polarized media -- a topic that deserves its own thread if not its own board-- the facts of this particular topic are pretty much the same everywhere.

Undisputed sequence:

1) Palin hires a lobbying firm to snare earmarks, including the bridge to nowhere.

2) Palin celebrates landing the earmark by having "nowhere" t-shirts printed up.

3) Palin kills bridge to nowhere after it becomes object of national ridicule, but keeps earmark money for other state projects.

4) Palin boasts of her opposition to bridge in her introductory and acceptance speeches in order to paint herself as a "reformer."

None of that is in dispute. CBNY's thread is intended to highlight No. 3, and it's accurate, but he ignores the rest of the sequence.[/QUOTE]

I think my point was bigger than this.........

I have no idea if you are quoting a 100% truthful website. I would bet its biased and, as such, you are quoting biased information.

But the big picture here is that Palin has a resume that boasts a conservative economic philosophy. Is Palin spinning the facts her way? Maybe - in fact, she is probably doing what every guy (or gal :) ) including Obama and Biden and McCain politician does and casting herself in the best possble light, but like I said, I will bet a lucky Brett Favre 4th down pass to Stuckey that the site you reference is leaving out some details. And if, by some small chance, this one is not, another one will.

BIG, BIG FACT: Palin has demonstrated time and again conservative economic principles. I would be really impressed if your site reads something like, "Time and again, Palin has applied the fundamental conservative philosophy to reduce spending and taxes. But, to be fair, there is a little more to this bridge from nowhere idea than you might realize."

If it doesn't carry that tenor, it is most likely biased. If it is biased, toss it.

We the people should judge actions, not words - real life resumes and not opinions or interpretations of such. Because the words we use from the sources we cite (be it this cite or equally compelling arguments that could be put out to the opposite by National Review or a host of radio talk show hosts.)

Obama really did say we had 57 states. I don;t think he thinks that. I think his resume says he is a pretty bright guy. Don;t you think the "New Pennsylvania" thread can;t be serious? Anybody should know that Obama knows better.

If you are outraged by this, I certainly hope you are demanding to know Obama's church attendance and exactly how he never heard those anti-American sermons and the rants of those when the "chickens have come home to roost."

If anyone wants to get caught up in every detail of what the other person did and search for the dark gray in a silver cloud, feel free. However, what it shows is a blatant bias that suggests the same person has trouble judging the credulity of the very sources they trust as gospel.

Likewise, Palin is what she is being portrayed to be - a RR type conservative. And she did kill the bridge from nowhere. And she probably did exactly what she was supposed to do...... see if it could be worked out and they get a free bridge when, in the end, it couldn't, she canned it. Does Palin, for the sake of media second guessing, need to destroy the rhythm or her speech and be sure to recount each step in a long process? Hardly. Nor would I expect Obama to.

I think the efforts to denigrate Obama over his "consideration of he military" are pointless and a waste of time. So, too, I feel the same way about this kind of effort. Maybe Obama, in his speech, should have been sure to retrace every step of his thought process with dates, times, etc. How dare he cut to the end and simply state, 'I considered hte military." How dare Sarah Palin cut to the chase and say she killed the bridge.

flushingjet
    Is now a bad time to mention that Bone Plugs and Harmony both voted for the Bridge and NO to the Coburn Amendment to HR 3058 which would have shifted funding for the Bridge to Katrina relief?

[URL]http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=s2005-264[/URL]

[QUOTE=flushingjet;2738314]Is now a bad time to mention that Bone Plugs and Harmony both voted for the Bridge and NO to the Coburn Amendment to HR 3058 which would have shifted funding for the Bridge to Katrina relief?

[URL]http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=s2005-264[/URL][/QUOTE]

I'll bet that wasn't in the article Nuu referenced.

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2738176]JCN,

Undisputed sequence:

None of that is in dispute. CBNY's thread is intended to highlight No. 3, and it's accurate, but he ignores the rest of the sequence.[/QUOTE]
    Excellent post. As you point out CB and the Republicans only highlight No. 3 and ignore the rest. The count on the electorate not paying attention to the whole story and just listen to the soundbites. That assumes a very detached and uninvolved electorate.

The sad part is they are probably right about that. Again we get the govt we deserve.

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2738495]Excellent post. As you point out CB and the Republicans only highlight No. 3 and ignore the rest. The count on the electorate not paying attention to the whole story and just listen to the soundbites. That assumes a very detached and uninvolved electorate.

The sad part is they are probably right about that. Again we get the govt we deserve.[/QUOTE]

Last time, then I'll bow out. Same thing can be said for both sides........ it'll never change.

Judge the resume for your best chance at actually getting it right. If anyone is dumb enough to believe the words, shame on them.

And it should be noted, the one short on resume and long on words in this election is Obama.

Btw, for great false sound bites, you might get a kick out of Biden's schooling memories.

Oh, and FWIW, the Bridge to Nowhere is hardly the only bullet point under Reformer in Palin's resume...... took on corrupt officials in her own party, took on big oil, governor's plane

Obama is going to bring change? I see his resume s packed with examples. He did a great job with the Chicago ploitical groups. I'm worked up and bowing out..... things to do.
    Last edited by JCnflies; 09-08-2008 at 09:43 PM.

[QUOTE=JCnflies;2738311]

BIG, BIG FACT: Palin has demonstrated time and again conservative economic principles. I would be really impressed if your site reads something like, "Time and again, Palin has applied the fundamental conservative philosophy to reduce spending and taxes. But, to be fair, there is a little more to this bridge from nowhere idea than you might realize."
    .[/QUOTE]

Well, um, no she hasn't.

As mayor of Wasilla, Palin was a fiscal disaster. The WSJ --not a lefty site by any means-- just did an entire story about how she left the place drowning in debt thanks in part to pour oversite and lack of attention to important detail. Debt service increased 70% in her term.

As governor of Alaska, the most significant thing she did was apply a windfall profit tax to the oil and gas companies and then pass the proceeds onto citizens. That will make you popular in the short term and it may or may not be good policy, but it's not particularly conservative, particularly when you again pile up the red ink.

She was completely chummy with Ted Stevens, who is under indictment, running his personal 527 group and teaming with him to secure earmarks. She still hasn't asked him to resign or even endorsed his opponent.

Getting rid of the servants and the plane is a nice touch, and it sends a nice message, but, honestly, its little more than a nice symbolic gesture.

The only aspect of her conservatism that's been demonstrated "time and time again" are her social views.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2738820]Debt service increased 70% in her term.

she did...apply a windfall profit tax to the oil and gas companies and then pass the proceeds onto citizens...[/QUOTE]

She's another a**hole pretending to be fiscally "conservative"...just like that moron Bush.

Wow...Mrs. Palin...you taxed the big bad oil companies and then redistributed the proceeds to the people. You would make a great democrat. Too bad your eating up your time fooling the naive Christian Right into thinking your one of them.

Well with the Democrats you have two *******s!

I do not think any of the nominees are azzholes. This election is simply ugly.

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;2739270]Well with the Democrats you have two *******s![/QUOTE]

More of Palin's "fiscal conservatism" in action:

Billing taxpayers for nights you spend at home is cheaper than servants, I guess ...

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/08/AR2008090803088_pf.html[/url]

[QUOTE]Palin Billed State for Nights Spent at Home
    Taxpayers Also Funded Family's Travel
    By James V. Grimaldi and Karl Vick
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008; A01

ANCHORAGE, Sept. 8 -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has billed taxpayers for 312 nights spent in her own home during her first 19 months in office, charging a "per diem" allowance intended to cover meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business.

The governor also has charged the state for travel expenses to take her children on official out-of-town missions. And her husband, Todd, has billed the state for expenses and a daily allowance for trips he makes on official business for his wife.

Palin, who earns $125,000 a year, claimed and received $16,951 as her allowance, which officials say was permitted because her official "duty station" is Juneau, according to an analysis of her travel documents by The Washington Post.

The governor's daughters and husband charged the state $43,490 to travel, and many of the trips were between their house in Wasilla and Juneau, the capital city 600 miles away, the documents show.

Gubernatorial spokeswoman Sharon Leighow said Monday that Palin's expenses are not unusual and that, under state policy, the first family could have claimed per diem expenses for each child taken on official business but has not done so.

Before she became the Republican Party's vice presidential nominee, Palin was little known outside Alaska. Now, with the campaign emphasizing her executive experience, her record as mayor of Wasilla, as a state oil-and-gas commissioner and as governor is receiving intense scrutiny.

During her speech at the Republican National Convention last week, Palin cast herself as a crusader for fiscal rectitude as Alaska's governor. She noted that she sold a state-owned plane used by the former governor. "While I was at it, I got rid of a few things in the governor's office that I didn't believe our citizens should have to pay for," she said to loud applause.

Speaking from Palin's Anchorage office, Leighow said Palin dealt with the plane and also trimmed other expenses, including forgoing a chef in the governor's mansion because she preferred to cook for her family. The first family's travel is an expected part of the job, she said.

"As a matter of protocol, the governor and the first family are expected to attend community events across the state," she said. "It's absolutely reasonable that the first family participates in community events."

The state finance director, Kim Garnero, said Alaska law exempts the governor's office from elaborate travel regulations. Said Leighow: "The governor is entitled to a per diem, and she claims it."

The popular governor collected the per diem allowance from April 22, four days after the birth of her fifth child, until June 3, when she flew to Juneau for two days. Palin moved her family to the capital during the legislative session last year, but prefers to stay in Wasilla and drive 45 miles to Anchorage to a state office building where she conducts most of her business, aides have said.

Palin rarely sought reimbursement for meals while staying in Anchorage or Wasilla, the reports show.

She wrote some form of "Lodging -- own residence" or "Lodging -- Wasilla residence" more than 30 times at the same time she took a per diem, according to the reports. In two dozen undated amendments to the reports, the governor deleted the reference to staying in her home but still charged the per diem.

Palin charged the state a per diem for working on Nov. 22, 2007 -- Thanksgiving Day. The reason given, according to the expense report, was the Great Alaska Shootout, an annual NCAA college basketball tournament held in Anchorage.

In separate filings, the state was billed about $25,000 for Palin's daughters' expenses and $19,000 for her husband's.

Flights topped the list for the most expensive items, and the daughter whose bill was the highest was Piper, 7, whose flights cost nearly $11,000, while Willow, 14, claimed about $6,000 and Bristol, 17, accounted for about $3,400.

One event was in New York City in October 2007, when Bristol accompanied the governor to Newsweek's third annual Women and Leadership Conference, toured the New York Stock Exchange and met local officials and business executives. The state paid for three nights in a $707-a-day hotel room. Garnero said the governor's office has the authority to approve hotel stays above $300.

Asked Monday about the official policy on charging for children's travel expenses, Garnero said: "We cover the expenses of anyone who's conducting state business. I can't imagine kids could be doing that."

But Leighow said many of the hundreds of invitations Palin receives include requests for her to bring her family, placing the definition of "state business" with the party extending the invitation.

One such invitation came in October 2007, when Willow flew to Juneau to join the Palin family on a tour of the Hub Juneau Christian Teen Center, where Palin and her family worship when they are in Juneau. The state gave the center $25,000, according to a May 2008 memo.

Leighow noted that under state policy, all of the governor's children are entitled to per diem expenses, even her infant son. "The first family declined the per diem [for] the children," Leighow said. "The amount that they had declined was $4,461, as of August 5."

The family also charged for flights around the state, including trips to Alaska events such as the start of the Iditarod dog-sled race and the Iron Dog snowmobile race, a contest that Todd Palin won.

Meanwhile, Todd Palin spent $725 to fly to Edmonton, Alberta, for "information gathering and planning meeting with Northern Alberta Institute of Technology," according to an expense report. During the three-day trip, he charged the state $291 for his per diem. A notation said "costs paid by Dept. of Labor." He also billed the state $1,371 for a flight to Washington to attend a National Governors Association meeting with his wife.

Gov. Palin has spent far less on her personal travel than her predecessor: $93,000 on airfare in 2007, compared with $463,000 spent the year before by her predecessor, Frank Murkowski. He traveled often in an executive jet that Palin called an extravagance during her campaign. She sold it after she was sworn into office.

"She flies coach and encourages her cabinet to fly coach as well," said Garnero, whose job is equivalent to state controller. "Some do, some don't."

Leighow said that the governor's staff has tallied the travel expenses charged by Murkowski's wife: $35,675 in 2006, $43,659 in 2005, $13,607 in 2004 and $29,608 in 2003. Associates of Murkowski said the former governor was moose hunting and could not be reached to comment.

In the past, per diem claims by Alaska state officials have carried political risks. In 1988, the head of the state Commerce Department was pilloried for collecting a per diem charge of $50 while staying in his Anchorage home, according to local news accounts. The commissioner, the late Tony Smith, resigned amid a series of controversies.

"It was quite the little scandal," said Tony Knowles, the Democratic governor from 1994 to 2000. "I gave a direction to all my commissioners if they were ever in their house, whether it was Juneau or elsewhere, they were not to get a per diem because, clearly, it is and it looks like a scam -- you pay yourself to live at home," he said.

Knowles, whose children were school-age at the start of his first term, said that his wife sometimes accompanied him to conferences overseas but that he could "count on one hand" the number of times his children accompanied him.

"And the policy was not to reimburse for family travel on commercial airlines, because there is no direct public benefit to schlepping kids around the state," he said. The rules were articulated by Mike Nizich, then director of administrative services in the governor's office, said Knowles and an aide to another former governor, Walter Hickel.

Nizich is now Palin's chief of staff. He did not return a phone call seeking comment. The rules governing family travel on state-owned aircraft appear less clear. Knowles said he operated under the understanding that immediate family could accompany the governor without charge.

But during the Murkowski years, that practice was questioned, and the state attorney general's office produced an opinion saying laws then in effect required reimbursement for spousal travel.[/QUOTE]

It is absurd that she charged the state of Alaska for her family members. Her husband was on official business for Alaska?

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2739482]More of Palin's "fiscal conservatism" in action:

Billing taxpayers for nights you spend at home is cheaper than servants, I guess ...

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/08/AR2008090803088_pf.html[/url][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;2739497]It is absurd that she charged the state of Alaska for her family members. Her husband was on official business for Alaska?[/QUOTE]

Family travel is probably above board, imo.

Charging taxpayers for nights you spend at home seems absurd, though.