Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gallup Poll: McCain Leads Independents 52% To 37% Over Obama!

Gallup Poll: McCain Leads Independents 52% To 37% Over Obama!

September 9, 2008

[url]http://www.gallup.com/poll/110137/McCain-Now-Winning-Majority-Independents.aspx[/url]

PRINCETON, NJ -- John McCain's 6 percentage-point bounce in voter support spanning the Republican National Convention is largely explained by political independents shifting to him in fairly big numbers, from 40% pre-convention to 52% post-convention in Gallup Poll Daily tracking.

By contrast, Democrats' support for McCain rose 5 percentage points over the GOP convention period, from 9% to 14%, while Republicans' already-high support stayed about the same.

The surge in political independents who favor McCain for president marks the first time since Gallup began tracking voters' general-election preferences in March that a majority of independents have sided with either of the two major-party candidates. Prior to now, McCain had received no better than 48% of the independent vote and Obama no better than 46%, making the race for the political middle highly competitive.

Layering voters' political ideology over their party identification provides the additional finding that the slim group of "pure independents" -- those with no political leanings to either major party -- grew more favorable to McCain by an even larger amount over the past week or so. McCain was preferred over Obama by 20% of pure independents in Gallup Poll Daily tracking from Aug. 29-31. In the latest three-day rolling average, from Sept. 5-7, he is favored by 39% of non-leaning independents, a 19-point increase. (Nearly 40% of pure independents remain undecided.)

Q. So with the Republican base solidly behind McCain because of his VP selection of Palin, and the Independents CLEARLY breaking his way, what does Obama have left outside of left-wing Democrats? I mean, even the PUMA Hillary fans aren't voting for Obama!

good news for mccain buts its still early.couple of acts left in this play.

I am a registered Independent in NJ, so my vote really doesn't matter. The poll would be meaningful if it was a state by state poll.

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2740818]
    Q. So with the Republican base solidly behind McCain because of his VP selection of Palin, and the Independents CLEARLY breaking his way, what does Obama have left outside of left-wing Democrats? I mean, even the PUMA Hillary fans aren't voting for Obama![/QUOTE]

Only problem is he's still polling well in Colorado and New Hampshire which are gonna be big factors this election. So having the convention in Colorado was good foresight on their part for once.

[QUOTE=Brains;2740832]Only problem is he's still polling well in Colorado and New Hampshire which are gonna be big factors this election. So having the convention in Colorado was good foresight on their part for once.[/QUOTE]

Obama was in New Hampshire yesterday. Where he uttered the now infamous 'it's still a pig' remark.

I saw the video of him making this remark. He looks tired, haggard, weak, listless, out of energy. His shirt is completely wrinkled. I believe he used the 'pig' remark simply because he was babbling incoherently. Seriously!

[QUOTE=2foolish197;2740822]good news for mccain buts its still early.couple of acts left in this play.[/QUOTE]

It may be early, but it's like that new toy you got as a kid for Christmas or birthday. It was great for a month or so, but that toy lost it's appeal and became just another toy.

I was never going to vote for Obama anyway, but he lost me as a listener over the Reverend Wright fiasco. Obama was a member and friend of Wright for 20 years...never heard any hate stuff coming out of his (Wright) sermons when he attended...which I find hard to believe, but I'll give him the benefit of doubt. But, Obama never heard from others what Wright was saying...LOL...Wright, I mean, right. And I'm supposed to believe what this guy says?:rolleyes: We all want change...we just don't want it from another talking head like we had with Hermie Edwards.

I was born a long time ago, not yesterday.

flushingjet
    The "independents" (ie people who stand for nothing) here in JI-ville have it the other way around.

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2740818]September 9, 2008

Q. So with the Republican base solidly behind McCain because of his VP selection of Palin, and the Independents CLEARLY breaking his way, what does Obama have left outside of left-wing Democrats? I mean, even the PUMA Hillary fans aren't voting for Obama![/QUOTE]

In about 60 days people are going to be either afraid for the future or feel good about the future. The debates will give us all a comparison and push the nonesense and talking heads into the back ground. The comfort level coupled with the head to head debates will decide the election. The independent voters who care will be watching.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2742740]In about 60 days people are going to be either afraid for the future or feel good about the future. The debates will give us all a comparison and push the nonesense and talking heads into the back ground. The comfort level coupled with the head to head debates will decide the election. The independent voters who care will be watching.[/QUOTE]

I read your response and then I though to myself 'this Winstonbiggs sounds like he's a pretty smart dude.' Then I remembered that you're a JETS fan so, obviously you're VERY smart! :yes:

[QUOTE=2foolish197;2740822]good news for mccain buts its still early.couple of acts left in this play.[/QUOTE]

+1.

McCain has gotten a nice bounce off his convention. He leads by five in Gallup, which was tied heading into the convention, and trails by only one in Rasmussen and NBC/WSJ. The key state polls (Ohio, Virginia, Florida, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Pennsylvania) are all very, very close.

I would expect the race to remain more or less deadlocked heading into the first debate. That will be a hugely watched event that I suspect will have a major impact on the polling, one way or the other.

Until then, apparently, we'll be talking about lipstick.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2742773]

Until then, apparently, we'll be talking about lipstick.[/QUOTE]

or what presidents on dollar bills look or don't look like....

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2741515]Obama was in New Hampshire yesterday. Where he uttered the now infamous 'it's still a pig' remark.

I saw the video of him making this remark. He looks tired, haggard, weak, listless, out of energy. His shirt is completely wrinkled. I believe he used the 'pig' remark simply because he was babbling incoherently. Seriously![/QUOTE]

Yeah NH is totally a toss up. McCain has worked hard there for years, held tons of town hall meetings etc. so maybe that and the pig remark will help out. Also McCain is gaining on Obama in New Mexico. That would be very important because that state was pretty much expected to go Dem this time especially with Gov. Richardson's endorsement, which was high profile and got a lot of media attention.

The right click on your mouse must be worn out. Copy then paste, copy then paste, copy then paste.
    Great job.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2742777]or what presidents on dollar bills look or don't look like....[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

you just can't help yourself- can you??

[QUOTE=cr726;2742802]The right click on your mouse must be worn out. Copy then paste, copy then paste, copy then paste.
    Great job.[/QUOTE]

or what presidents on dollar bills look or don't look like....

take it from me

when you are posting threads celebrating about poll results 2 months before the election

that means your candidate is gonna to lose

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;2743064]take it from me

when you are posting threads celebrating about poll results 2 months before the election

that means your candidate is gonna to lose[/QUOTE]

another prediciton for the ages.....

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2743066]another prediciton for the ages.....[/QUOTE]

you who remembers everything I ever posted i thought would get that joke

i was here in 2004 making the same posts Albany Jet is making, except about Kerry

what I learned was when one is that concerned with polls it's because deep down you know your candidate is a losing horse

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;2743072]you who remembers everything I ever posted i thought would get that joke

i was here in 2004 making the same posts Albany Jet is making, except about Kerry

what I learned was when one is that concerned with polls it's because deep down you know your candidate is a losing horse[/QUOTE]

how could one not remember your posts and predictions???? they end up like a charles manson murder scene- no one would believe the bullsh!t really took place unless they saw it with their own eyes....

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2743079]how could one not remember your posts and predictions???? they end up like a charles manson murder scene- no one would believe the bullsh!t really took place unless they saw it with their own eyes....[/QUOTE]

one man's manson murder scene is another man's jackson pollack painting