Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: right on queue,dems whip out race card

right on queue,dems whip out race card

Sep 9, 2008 7:06 pm US/Eastern
    McCain Campaign Fumes Over Paterson's Racism Claim
    Says Governor's Charges Are 'Bordering On Desperation'
    Reporting
    Don Dahler ALBANY (CBS) ― On Monday, Gov. David Paterson angered some state lawmakers by comparing them to vampires, calling them a bunch of "blood suckers." On Tuesday, he raised eyebrows again, and tempers, by accusing the John McCain campaign of veiled racism.

At the Crain's Business Forum this morning, Paterson drew attention to a phrase used numerous times by speakers at the Republican National Convention to describe Barack Obama's leadership experience: community organizer.

"I think the Republican Party is too smart to call Barack Obama 'black' in a sense that it would be a negative. But you can take something about his life, which I noticed they did at the Republican Convention a 'community organizer.' They kept saying it, they kept laughing," he said.

Paterson referred to McCain's running mate Sarah Palin who compared her work experience to Obama's.

"So I suppose a small town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except with real responsibilities," she said at the convention.

Paterson sees the repeated use of the words "community organizer" as Republican code for "black".

"I think where there are overtones is when there are uses of language that are designed to inhibit other people's progress with a subtle reference to their race," he said.

But the McCain/Palin campaign quickly fired back in a statement, saying: "It is disappointing that Governor Paterson would launch accusations of racism. Governor Palin's remarks about Barack Obama's work as a community organizer was in response to the Obama campaign's belittling of her executive experience."

The statement goes on to point out Sarah Palin's own experience of civic involvement and says Paterson's comments are "a sure sign of a flailing campaign that is bordering on desperation".

Paterson raises the question of whether the Presidential race has become desperate or devious.

"At this point, Americans wouldn't tolerate a racial appeal. What I'm saying is that there are sneaky ways to try to hurt someone," he said.

Paterson does say he's not certain that's happening.

But what disturbed him was what seemed like derisive laughter on the part of the Republicans at Obama's choice of helping his community rather than getting rich on Wall Street.

Paterson is New York state's first black governor.

paterson given first assignment by obama's handlers

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2740883]Sep 9, 2008 7:06 pm US/Eastern
    Reporting
    Don Dahler ALBANY (CBS) ― On Monday, Gov. David Paterson angered some state lawmakers by comparing them to vampires, calling them a bunch of "blood suckers." On Tuesday, he raised eyebrows again, and tempers, by accusing the John McCain campaign of veiled racism.

At the Crain's Business Forum this morning, Paterson drew attention to a phrase used numerous times by speakers at the Republican National Convention to describe Barack Obama's leadership experience: community organizer.

"I think the Republican Party is too smart to call Barack Obama 'black' in a sense that it would be a negative. But you can take something about his life, which I noticed they did at the Republican Convention a 'community organizer.' They kept saying it, they kept laughing," he said.

Paterson referred to McCain's running mate Sarah Palin who compared her work experience to Obama's.

"So I suppose a small town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except with real responsibilities," she said at the convention.

Paterson sees the repeated use of the words "community organizer" as Republican code for "black".

"I think where there are overtones is when there are uses of language that are designed to inhibit other people's progress with a subtle reference to their race," he said.

But the McCain/Palin campaign quickly fired back in a statement, saying: "It is disappointing that Governor Paterson would launch accusations of racism. Governor Palin's remarks about Barack Obama's work as a community organizer was in response to the Obama campaign's belittling of her executive experience."

The statement goes on to point out Sarah Palin's own experience of civic involvement and says Paterson's comments are "a sure sign of a flailing campaign that is bordering on desperation".

Paterson raises the question of whether the Presidential race has become desperate or devious.

"At this point, Americans wouldn't tolerate a racial appeal. What I'm saying is that there are sneaky ways to try to hurt someone," he said.

But what disturbed him was what seemed like derisive laughter on the part of the Republicans at Obama's choice of helping his community rather than getting rich on Wall Street.

Paterson is New York state's first black governor.[/QUOTE]
    "Community organizer" = "black"? Is he serious?

All League
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2740898]paterson given first assignment by obama's handlers[/QUOTE]

If I was David Patterson I probably wouldn't have said it. But I actually agree with him. Watching the convention I was thinking the same exact thing.

They made Obama's "community activism" out to be an absolute joke (primarily because it revolves around a community that most in attendance could care less about). Never mind the fact that the sheer size of the community and complexity of issues faced by the community is much larger than that of Wasalla, AK.

But, that's something Patterson was better off keeping to himself.

[QUOTE=TerryBadway;2740918]If I was David Patterson I probably wouldn't have said it. But I actually agree with him. Watching the convention I was thinking the same exact thing.

They made Obama's "community activism" out to be an absolute joke (primarily because it revolves around a community that most in attendance could care less about). Never mind the fact that the sheer size of the community and complexity of issues faced by the community is much larger than that of Wasalla, AK.

But, that's something Patterson was better off keeping to himself.[/QUOTE]you and paterson are totally off on this one.since when does community organizer equate with blacks per se and because obama is half black we can't hit him back...plz...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway;2740918]If I was David Patterson I probably wouldn't have said it. But I actually agree with him. Watching the convention I was thinking the same exact thing.

But, that's something Patterson was better off keeping to himself.[/QUOTE]

Terry, no offense, but you can cavalierly call GOPers racist and not at all think you're being a judgmental prick? Must be nice. What kind of return on their investment have urban black communities gotten after generations and generations of voting Dem? What do you think of black conservatives like Sowell who decry the soft bigotry of low expectations and who have done emprical studies that have persuasively demonstrated that the return on the investment of voting for Democrats has largely been negative?

Also, what, exactly, did Obama accomplish as a "community organizer?" It's a serious question. I've read a bunch of stories and Obama's work seems to have consisted of getting asbestos removed from a single building and organizing a bunch of agitprop nonsense for ACORN affiliated groups. Not much in the way of actual accomplishments. In fact, he got annoyed at how little he could accomplish and bolted. And "small town" mayors tend to be predominantly white, are you then disparaging small town mayors, perhaps becuase you couldn't care less about that community?

You've essentially argued in the past that voting for Obama because he's black isn't racist, right? I may be wrong on that, so just asking, not accusing....

All League
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2740925]you and paterson are totally off on this one.since when does community organizer equate with blacks per se and because obama is half black we can't hit him back...plz...[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to change your mind bro...

While watching the convention, and the very snide manner in which Guliani and Palin taunted his role as a community organizer, it came across to me as a direct shot at urban activism.

This doesn't mean that the race card needs to be thrown out there. And, like I said, this is something Patterson would have been better off keeping to himself. But I agree with him in thinking that the comments made at the convention were a subtle strike at "urban activism," not simply community organizing.

[QUOTE=TerryBadway;2740942]I'm not trying to change your mind bro...

While watching the convention, and the very snide manner in which Guliani and Palin taunted his role as a community organizer, it came across to me as a direct shot at urban activism.

This doesn't mean that the race card needs to be thrown out there. And, like I said, this is something Patterson would have been better off keeping to himself. But I agree with him in thinking that the comments made at the convention were a subtle strike at "urban activism," not simply community organizing.[/QUOTE]well there are about a million directions you can go with with this, i guess.i'm just saying race is a bottom feeder.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway;2740942]I'm not trying to change your mind bro...

This doesn't mean that the race card needs to be thrown out there. And, like I said, this is something Patterson would have been better off keeping to himself. But I agree with him in thinking that the comments made at the convention were a subtle strike at "urban activism," not simply community organizing.[/QUOTE]

Is it possible that it was a shot not at urban activism per se but rather urban activism vis a vis qualifying as experience relevant and vital to being commander in chief and POTUS??

Also, did YOU not dig at small town mayors? Is THAT not a dig at whites?

C'mon man...get real....

All Pro
    I don't know why anybody's even talking about Obama's 3 years as a community organizer. Whatever it is, it sounds laudable enough. Why mock it? Not to mention, Palin herself got her political start through community activism. Just seems an odd angle of attack to me.

That's pretty pathetic. Paterson is an idiot for saying that.

All League
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2740941]Terry, no offense, but you can cavalierly call GOPers racist and not at all think you're being a judgmental prick? Must be nice. What kind of return on their investment have urban black communities gotten after generations and generations of voting Dem? What do you think of black conservatives like Sowell who decry the soft bigotry of low expectations and who have done emprical studies that have persuasively demonstrated that the return on the investment of voting for Democrats has largely been negative?

Also, what, exactly, did Obama accomplish as a "community organizer?" It's a serious question. I've read a bunch of stories and Obama's work seems to have consisted of getting asbestos removed from a single building and organizing a bunch of agitprop nonsense for ACORN affiliated groups. Not much in the way of actual accomplishments. In fact, he got annoyed at how little he could accomplish and bolted. And "small town" mayors tend to be predominantly white, are you then disparaging small town mayors, perhaps becuase you couldn't care less about that community?

You've essentially argued in the past that voting for Obama because he's black isn't racist, right? I may be wrong on that, so just asking, not accusing....[/QUOTE]

George,

I'm not calling GOPers racists. Man, racists is a very, very strong term, and I think it should be reserved for a very select few. Again, Patterson is absolute wrong for pulling the race card. I do agree, however, with his notion that Rudy and Palin's comments were a subtle shot at urban activism, and it had a particular resonance with that crowd.

[B]Are those people racist? Not necessarily.
    Where does urban activism fall on their scale of value? Probably pretty low
    [/B]

I won't respond to your shot at me....We've known each other on this forum long enough, and we don't agree on everything, and that's cool.

With regards to voting based on race, I firmly believe that there will be as many non-blacks (white, hispanic, asian) who will not vote for a black guy, as there are blacks who will vote for him due to his blackness. And from a numbers perspective, I don't think that's a reach.

I also don't have any issues with small town mayors. I just think throwing the term "executive experience" around as if there is no variance from one job to the next is a bit misleading. For that matter, Jay-Z has executive experience.

All League
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2740963]I don't know why anybody's even talking about Obama's 3 years as a community organizer. Whatever it is, it sounds laudable enough. Why mock it? Not to mention, Palin herself got her political start through community activism. Just seems an odd angle of attack to me.[/QUOTE]

Agreed BTB. It was such an odd angle of attack that it left a really bad taste in my mouth. The well timed pauses and inflictions really gave me the feeling that they were waiting for the people in the crowd to "get the joke."

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2740963]I don't know why anybody's even talking about Obama's 3 years as a community organizer. Whatever it is, it sounds laudable enough. Why mock it? Not to mention, Palin herself got her political start through community activism. Just seems an odd angle of attack to me.[/QUOTE]she was equating her mayorship to his organizing...but that's fair point on your part.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway;2740990]George,

I'm not calling GOPers racists. Man, racists is a very, very strong term, and I think it should be reserved for a very select few. Again, Patterson is absolute wrong for pulling the race card. I do agree, however, with his notion that Rudy and Palin's comments were a subtle shot at urban activism, and it had a particular resonance with that crowd.

[B]Are those people racist? Not necessarily.
    Where does urban activism fall on their scale of value? Probably pretty low
    [/B]

I won't respond to your shot at me....We've known each other on this forum long enough, and we don't agree on everything, and that's cool.

With regards to voting based on race, I firmly believe thatere will be as many non-blacks (white, hispanic, asian) who will not vote for a black guy, as there are blacks who will vote for him due to his blackness. And from a numbers perspective, I don't think that's a reach.

I also don't have any issues with small town mayors. I just think throwing the term "executive experience" around as if there is no variance from one job to the next is a bit misleading. For that matter, Jay-Z has executive experience.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but you posted that most in the crowd could not care less about that [I]community. [/I] You did NOT say that most in that crowd could care less about urban activism. That is am important disctinction, no? I am probably too careful in how I read and write language, I tend to over-lawyer things. Fair enough, but you can see how I reasonably drew that inference?

I agree about the non-blacks who will vote against Obama versus blacks who will vote (and, more importantly from a "who wins?" perspective - actually turn out) for Obama. But I think you neglect a possibly not-inconsequential group which is white liberals who may be persuaded to vote for Obama becuase he's black. Obama's core supporters are white elites, young people and blacks. Now, you can argue that white elites (academics, etc) and blacks overwhelmingly vote Dem anyway and that is true. But young people actulally split close to evenly historically. Young people [I]who vote[/I] do, young people in polls skew Dem but they don't actually get off their a$$es and vote consistent with polls. But they may this time. The [I]turnout[/I] is the key. Ones who didn't vote before may turn out and vote for Obama because he's black, even if those marginal turnouts are from constituencies that normally vote Dem...those marginals will be the difference. Some of that is Obama being inspirational and some of that is Obama being an inspirational [I]black [/I]guy...there is multicollinearity, noise, if you will. Hard to separate the effects him increasing turnout due to his charisma versus due to his [I]black [/I]charisma. Running a regression and figuring out what to assign these two dependant variables is likely impossible, so all we can do is speculate, you know?? Personally, that's why I don't believe the polls so much - I think there are a TON of people who will turn out this time to vote Obama that the traditional polling methods aren't capturing. I think it's reasonable to add 5% minimum to Obama's poll numbers because of that, maybe even 7%, to be honest.

On average, all things considered, I think Obama's race is a net positive...I think that is clearly demonstrated by his polling in states like Virginia and North Carolina. If the Dems had nominated a white guy, I don't think that white guy, even if equally "inspiring" is competitive in those states. Now, it may push his margins down in places like WVa or make PA closer than it would be, sure. It's a tough call and who nows how accurately the polls reflect these dynamics or what their net effect is?

Anyway, glad to see you posting here. I always look forward to your posts...seriously.

And on Palin - I agree. Trust me, I hate McCain and hate the Palin pick and think she's woefull unqualified to be CIC. Trust me, I'm with you. Laugh all you want at the predictability of me being a white consrvative free market douchebag, but I wanted Romney! Oh well....
    Last edited by jets5ever; 09-09-2008 at 09:33 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2741004]she was equating her mayorship to his organizing...[/QUOTE]

I guess, although it's not much of a comparison. He worked as a community organizer his first 3 years out of college. During that time she was a sports reporter for one year and then a housewife. During the period Palin was mayor Obama was serving on the Illinois state legislature and then in the US senate.

[QUOTE=2foolish197;2740883]Sep 9, 2008 7:06 pm US/Eastern
    Reporting

Paterson is New York state's first black governor.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, 2Foolish, you don't get to start the absurd "lipstick on a pig thread" --the most blatant card playing in memory-- and then decry the same tactics elsewhere.

Pot, calling kettle....

As far as the whole "community organizer" thing goes, I have no idea if it has some sort of racial subtext or not. (Paterson seems to think it's meant to evoke Al Sharpton.) Regardless, it seems bizarre for Republicans to be belittling people who help out in underserved communities in the midst of a convention extolling the values of "service."

things are getting bad when one day the Republican convention's theme is "SERVICE" and the next day 4 speakers mock the job of community organizer.

Rudy G was especially condescending he was like "organizer... huh? what is that?" it was really insulting, with or w.o racial subtext

Rudy is about Rudy.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2741322]things are getting bad when one day the Republican convention's theme is "SERVICE" and the next day 4 speakers mock the job of community organizer.

Rudy G was especially condescending he was like "organizer... huh? what is that?" it was really insulting, with or w.o racial subtext[/QUOTE]

All League
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2741106]Fair enough, but you posted that most in the crowd could not care less about that [I]community. [/I] You did NOT say that most in that crowd could care less about urban activism. That is am important disctinction, no? I am probably too careful in how I read and write language, I tend to over-lawyer things. Fair enough, but you can see how I reasonably drew that inference?

I agree about the non-blacks who will vote against Obama versus blacks who will vote (and, more importantly from a "who wins?" perspective - actually turn out) for Obama. But I think you neglect a possibly not-inconsequential group which is white liberals who may be persuaded to vote for Obama becuase he's black. Obama's core supporters are white elites, young people and blacks. Now, you can argue that white elites (academics, etc) and blacks overwhelmingly vote Dem anyway and that is true. But young people actulally split close to evenly historically. Young people [I]who vote[/I] do, young people in polls skew Dem but they don't actually get off their a$$es and vote consistent with polls. But they may this time. The [I]turnout[/I] is the key. Ones who didn't vote before may turn out and vote for Obama because he's black, even if those marginal turnouts are from constituencies that normally vote Dem...those marginals will be the difference. Some of that is Obama being inspirational and some of that is Obama being an inspirational [I]black [/I]guy...there is multicollinearity, noise, if you will. Hard to separate the effects him increasing turnout due to his charisma versus due to his [I]black [/I]charisma. Running a regression and figuring out what to assign these two dependant variables is likely impossible, so all we can do is speculate, you know?? Personally, that's why I don't believe the polls so much - I think there are a TON of people who will turn out this time to vote Obama that the traditional polling methods aren't capturing. I think it's reasonable to add 5% minimum to Obama's poll numbers because of that, maybe even 7%, to be honest.

On average, all things considered, I think Obama's race is a net positive...I think that is clearly demonstrated by his polling in states like Virginia and North Carolina. If the Dems had nominated a white guy, I don't think that white guy, even if equally "inspiring" is competitive in those states. Now, it may push his margins down in places like WVa or make PA closer than it would be, sure. It's a tough call and who nows how accurately the polls reflect these dynamics or what their net effect is?

Anyway, glad to see you posting here. I always look forward to your posts...seriously.

And on Palin - I agree. Trust me, I hate McCain and hate the Palin pick and think she's woefull unqualified to be CIC. Trust me, I'm with you. Laugh all you want at the predictability of me being a white consrvative free market douchebag, but I wanted Romney! Oh well....[/QUOTE]

George, I could have worded my response better, and I apologize for the miscommunication.

I agree, Obama's chances are contingent on getting people off the couch on that Tuesday. We'll see what happens.

I think we talked about it a few months ago, and I'm still voting for Obama, and the fact that he's black is relevant in that decision. That's specifically because I believe his appointment would force much more personal responsibility within my community. And let me be clear in saying that if I felt that McCain would be a stronger catalyst for that, I would vote for him in a heartbeat.

Also....The more I read about him, the more I like Romney. Hey just may be too much of a professional. Successful professionals are great at articulating goals to their subordinates, and painting a clear picture that the team can follow through on. They work well when everybody's listening.....But when you're running for POTUS, there are so many stimuli interfering with your message that it never comes through clear. Professionals like Romney (Bloomberg is an exception) have a very tough time dealing with that because this is a platform where appeals can absolutely override substance. If he stays in this game long term, hopefully he'll do a better job of delivering his message through the static.