Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troopergate

Troopergate

I don;t know if this has been known for some time or not, but I heard today that the trooper who got fired admitted that he did use his taser or stun gun (forget which) on his step son, Palin's 10 year old nephew. I have heard there are other reasons for his dismissal. For the sake of argument, let's assume this is all he did wrong.

Did Palin act correctly? I would imagine that using police issued weapons on your 10 year old children would put your career in jeopardy.

Any thoughts?

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=JCnflies;2745472]I don;t know if this has been known for some time or not, but I heard today that the trooper who got fired admitted that he did use his taser or stun gun (forget which) on his step son, Palin's 10 year old nephew. I have heard there are other reasons for his dismissal. For the sake of argument, let's assume this is all he did wrong.

Did Palin act correctly? I would imagine that using police issued weapons on your 10 year old children would put your career in jeopardy.

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

If Governor Palin did something wrong it was to use overstep her constitutional power as Governor. Allegedly she tried to get a cop fired who was at odds with her family. When she failed at that she fired the guy who would not fire the cop.

If this is true, it is sketchy behavior for a Governor. This should also make people consider her ethics when entering the poll booth.

PS. From all reports the cop she tried to get fired is a sketchy mothereffer himself.

PPS. It all sounds like the plot of Smokey and the Bandit IV in 3D

RIP Jerry Reed
    Last edited by Buster; 09-11-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Was never fired, he was suspended. Maybe you should do a little research before you create a thread.

[QUOTE=JCnflies;2745472]I don;t know if this has been known for some time or not, but I heard today that the trooper who got fired admitted that he did use his taser or stun gun (forget which) on his step son, Palin's 10 year old nephew. I have heard there are other reasons for his dismissal. For the sake of argument, let's assume this is all he did wrong.

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

All Pro

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

The taser thing is way overblown. I'll give you a link so you can read the real story, but in a nutshell, the kid asked his dad if he could tase him in the same test mode that troopers test their tasters on themselves. In test mode all you get is a slight shock. The kid wanted to see what it felt like. The dad obliged. Palin's parents knew about it and laughed about it at the time. It didn't become an issue until two years later when the trooper and Palin's sister were going through a divorce, at which point the incident became a poker chip in the custody battle.

Palin charged the trooper with three things for which she wanted him fired:

1. Unauthorized use of police equipment (using the taser on a non-policeman); 2. Once shooting a moose using his wife's hunting permit instead of his own; 3. Once drinking a beer in a police vehicle.

All of this is pretty minor. The trooper admits to the taser and the moose, claims the beer drinking report wasn't true. To me it sounds mostly like Palin and her family were standing by her sister in the divorce and trying to submarine the trooper (him getting fired certainly couldn't have helped him in the custody case). It's all very Jerry Springer. Did Palin abuse her authority in trying to get him fired to settle a family score? It sure sounds like it.

Anyway, here's the link I promised...

[URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/05/AR2008090503407.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2008090504111&s_pos="]Washington Post: Palin's Ex-Brother-in-Law Says He Regrets Bad Blood[/URL]
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 09-11-2008 at 10:49 PM.

Alaska knows the story inside out. The guy tasered her nephew. She has a 80% approval rating there.

Do you wonder why liberals would rather talk per diem accusations & book bans? I certainly don't.

Yea, don't piss off the Queen.

[QUOTE=sackdance;2745527]Alaska knows the story inside out. The guy tasered her nephew. She has a 80% approval rating there.

Do you wonder why liberals would rather talk per diem accusations & book bans? I certainly don't.[/QUOTE]

All League
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2745527]Alaska knows the story inside out. The guy tasered her nephew. She has a 80% approval rating there.

Do you wonder why liberals would rather talk per diem accusations & book bans? I certainly don't.[/QUOTE]

Your point is McCain is going to carry Alaska.

Was that ever in doubt?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2745527]Alaska knows the story inside out. [/QUOTE]

Alaska does. That's why the guy still has his job despite the governor's best efforts to get him fired. You, however, don't.

[QUOTE=sackdance;2745527]Alaska knows the story inside out. [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr5hpJKuh-s&eurl=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/11/abc-on-troopergate-womens_n_125670.html[/url]

All League
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2745568][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr5hpJKuh-s&eurl=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/11/abc-on-troopergate-womens_n_125670.html[/url][/QUOTE]

yikes!

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2745522]The taser thing is way overblown. I'll give you a link so you can read the real story, but in a nutshell, the kid asked his dad if he could tase him in the same test mode that troopers test their tasters on themselves. In test mode all you get is a slight shock. The kid wanted to see what it felt like. The dad obliged. Palin's parents knew about it and laughed about it at the time. It didn't become an issue until two years later when the trooper and Palin's sister were going through a divorce, at which point the incident became a poker chip in the custody battle.

Palin charged the trooper with three things for which she wanted him fired:

1. Unauthorized use of police equipment (using the taser on a non-policeman); 2. Once shooting a moose using his wife's hunting permit instead of his own; 3. Once drinking a beer in a police vehicle.

All of this is pretty minor. The trooper admits to the taser and the moose, claims the beer drinking report wasn't true. To me it sounds mostly like Palin and her family were standing by her sister in the divorce and trying to submarine the trooper (him getting fired certainly couldn't have helped him in the custody case). It's all very Jerry Springer. Did Palin abuse her authority in trying to get him fired to settle a family score? It sure sounds like it.

Anyway, here's the link I promised...

[URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/05/AR2008090503407.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2008090504111&s_pos="]Washington Post: Palin's Ex-Brother-in-Law Says He Regrets Bad Blood[/URL][/QUOTE]

I'll get to the link later, however, I have to warn yuo. I view anything said by the WP with much skepticism. It is kind of the way most liberals view FOXNews.

[QUOTE=Buster;2745520]If Governor Palin did something wrong it was to use overstep her constitutional power as Governor. Allegedly she tried to get a cop fired who was at odds with her family. When she failed at that she fired the guy who would not fire the cop.

If this is true, it is sketchy behavior for a Governor. This should also make people consider her ethics when entering the poll booth.

PS. From all reports the cop she tried to get fired is a sketchy mothereffer himself.

PPS. It all sounds like the plot of Smokey and the Bandit IV in 3D

RIP Jerry Reed[/QUOTE]

From the little I'd heard, the trooper is said to be a problem.

Didn't Jerry Reed sing King of the Road.

FYI. Todd Palin was subpoenaed in Alaska today.

Apparently the deciding vote in favor was cast by a Republican from Wasilla.

[QUOTE=cr726;2745539]Yea, don't piss off the Queen.[/QUOTE]

You mean Barack?

When is Obama going to release all his records while he was in the Illinois State House. The Democrats are grasping at straws because they are feeling the heat. Plus the congressional elections are starting to swing republican.
    Perhaps Obamaination has bit off more then it can chew!

What I don't get is if Palin is such an inconsequential lightweight as many contend, why are they spending so much time and effort trying to dig for negative stories about her? It's like bringing in your closer to pitch to the weak hitting second baseman in the eight inning. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Either the democrats and the press are really stupid for focusing their efforts on a weak vp candidate, or she is someone of consequence with political abilities to be reckoned with.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;2747357]What I don't get is if Palin is such an inconsequential lightweight as many contend, why are they spending so much time and effort trying to dig for negative stories about her? It's like bringing in your closer to pitch to the weak hitting second baseman in the eight inning. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. [/QUOTE]

Oh Jeez, do you really not know, or are you just pretending you didn't grow up in this country?

All League
    [QUOTE=cr726;2745539]Yea, don't piss off the Queen.[/QUOTE]

Not a good come back, but alas It's your words on the plate.
    Your diggin to save..

Veteran
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;2747357]What I don't get is if Palin is such an inconsequential lightweight as many contend, why are they spending so much time and effort trying to dig for negative stories about her? It's like bringing in your closer to pitch to the weak hitting second baseman in the eight inning. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Either the democrats and the press are really stupid for focusing their efforts on a weak vp candidate, or she is someone of consequence with political abilities to be reckoned with.[/QUOTE]

Well, the thing is that a lot of people seem to think that she's not a weak VP candidate. If they want those people's votes, they have to treat her like she is or try to prove that she isn't. As long as they shift their focus onto McCain when the debates come around as the country's focus shifts off of Palin, I don't think it's necessarily a bad move. I mean, they already have all the dirt they need on McCain if they want to use it. Hell, the guy's been in Washington for how long, and never bothered to learn about the economy? It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Look what happended to the boss of the Troopers. He tried to deal with the situation in a professional way and it wasn't good enough.

[QUOTE=JI;2747424]Not a good come back, but alas It's your words on the plate.
    Your diggin to save..[/QUOTE]