Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pennington's arm poses challanges for Dolphins- Palm Beach Post (Merged)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Pennington's arm poses challanges for Dolphins- Palm Beach Post (Merged)

Pennington's arm poses challenges for Dolphins

By EDGAR THOMPSON

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, September 11, 2008

DAVIE Late in Sunday's season-opening loss to the New York Jets, Chad Pennington walked to the sideline during a timeout but stopped before reaching the Dolphins coaching staff.

After signaling for a ball, the 32-year-old quarterback began playing catch with a teammate.

An odd moment quickly became a nervous one for those familiar with Pennington's long history of right shoulder problems.

"I thought that was weird," one Dolphins insider said. "I saw that and thought, 'His arm is hurting.'"

In the press box, former Jets defensive end Marty Lyons, who as a radio analyst covered Pennington's career in New York, wondered the same thing.

Pennington, who would finish the day with 43 attempts, already had thrown 25 passes, more than he did during four of his seven starts with the Jets in 2007. He also had just been flattened on a blindside sack by 270-pound linebacker Calvin Pace, landing on the shoulder that needed two career-threatening surgeries in 2005.

"He got hit and either he jammed the shoulder or felt some twinge in the shoulder," Lyons said. "He just wanted to make sure that stiffness didn't settle in."

For Dolphins fans, who watched in frustration as Pennington dinked and dunked his way to a 7-1 record against Miami, averaging 165 yards per game with nine touchdowns and just one interception, Sunday's debut in aqua and orange was a familiar display hardly reminiscent of Dan Marino.

Pennington threw only two passes of more than 20 yards in the air against his former team and he was 1-of-7 on throws described as "deep" in the official NFL game summary.

Several throws were wobbly or fell shy of their target, including a game-ending lob into the end zone that was intercepted.

Still, considering the Dolphins' poor running game (16 carries, 43 yards), shaky pass protection (four sacks, six knockdowns) and lack of playmakers in the receiving corps (six catches, 62 yards), some believe the nine-yearveteran did about as well as could be expected.

"I thought he did everything you could want a quarterback to do with a first-year coach and that type of team," said Super Bowl-winning quarterback and CBS analyst Phil Simms, who called Sunday's 20-14 loss for CBS. "It was a rough day. They made every mistake you could make to lose a football game and they still had a chance to win it at the end."

For all the doubts about his arm strength, Pennington has proven he can hold down a job and win in the NFL.

He entered the season ranked seventh all-time with a passer rating of 88.9, and his career completion percentage of 65.6 leads all passers with at least 1,500 attempts.

"That let's you know he's smart with the ball," Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter said. "He's proven that his way works."

Pennington's way is a major upgrade for a franchise coming off a 1-15 record that has started a dozen different quarterbacks since Marino retired following the 1999 season.

But wherever he goes, Pennington faces questions about his passing ability.

"That is the perception of Chad Pennington," Simms said. "No matter what he does it's always there. It's always held against him."

Since his rookie season in 2000, Pennington's arm has undergone as much surgery and scrutiny as any quarterback's in the NFL.

He made up for his physical limitations with smarts and savvy to become the Jets starter in 2002, leading them to a 9-7 record and a 41-0 playoff win against Peyton Manning and the Colts. But when Pennington injured his shoulder two seasons later, and again in 2005, many expected two rotator cuff surgeries in an eight-month span would rob him of the arm strength he had.

"To be able to go through two shoulder surgeries and still come back, it's a testament to the determination that Chad has," said former Dolphins quarterback Jay Fielder, who was Pennington's teammate in 2005 and suffered a career-ending shoulder injury in the same game. "He's a guy that will go to the end of the earth to make sure he does everything possible to compete on Sundays."

This past off-season, Pennington continued to rehabilitate his body and reinvent his throwing motion, focusing on using his lower body more and his upper body less during his throwing motion.

But Pennington also knows he needs rest. On Thursday, he said coaches have been giving some first-team snaps to rookie Chad Henne so Pennington can give his shoulder a breather.

"I threw more than I normally do during training camp," said Pennington, who signed with the Dolphins on Aug. 9. "I'm just backing down now to where my gun is still loaded at the end of the season."

Pennington has had to get by with a little less firepower than most NFL starting quarterbacks.

Two-time MVP Kurt Warner, the 37-year-old quarterback for the Cardinals, said he, like Pennington, was forced to take a hard look at himself when his career hit a rough patch a few seasons ago.

Three seasons after winning a Super Bowl with the '99 St. Louis Rams, Warner was criticized for holding the ball too long and taking too many sacks. In 2004, he signed with the New York Giants, then moved on to Arizona in 2005.

"The first thing I do is I really try to be critical of myself and try to weigh the criticisms I hear about me," Warner said this week. "I think that's what you continue to see with Chad. He's been doubted and people sayhis arm's not strong enough, yet he goes down there and surfaces as the starting quarterback.

"There's intangibles that come with Chad Pennington that you can't describe and you can't measure. It's just something he brings to the table."

Players follow Pennington, who was named one of the Dolphins' team captains. But to lead the Dolphins to wins, Pennington is going to use more of the field than he did on opening day.

Of his 26 completions, 12 were to his tight ends and eight to his running backs. Pennington averaged a meager 5.8 yards per attempt.

Miami's punchless running game and inexperienced receiving corps didn't help. No Dolphins receiver on the active roster had more than 50 NFL catches.

"That's the one big issue there," said former All-Pro cornerback Eric Allen, who's an NFL analyst for ESPN. "His whole game is accuracy and timing. As long as his receivers understand that he can have some success with that."

How much success is the question, especially against the NFL's better teams.

A season ago, the Giants intercepted Pennington three times in the final 35 minutes by jumping the Jets short routes and forcing Pennington to throw downfield.

"We knew he wasn't like Peyton Manning or a guy who can put it in there," said Giants cornerback Sam Madison, who also faced Pennington as a Dolphin.

"We knew we had to cover the ball deep and that it would long and just hanging in the air."

The Giants went on to win the Super Bowl.

The Dolphins would be happy to just win some games this season. They believe Pennington is more than capable.

"For what we ask him to do and what we need him to do," Porter said, "he's the perfect guy for our team."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    dump

This is a Jets forum.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonio_JetFan View Post
    dump

This is a Jets forum.
    Don't you miss..."There's intangibles that come with Chad Pennington that you can't describe and you can't measure. It's just something he brings to the table."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pennington's arm poses challanges for Pennington- Palm Beach Post

Fixed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Post Thanks / Like
    dump

This is a Jets forum.
    Huge +1.

Enough with the Noodle threads already...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Pennington's arm poses challenges for Dolphins

By EDGAR THOMPSON

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, September 11, 2008

DAVIE Late in Sunday's season-opening loss to the New York Jets, Chad Pennington walked to the sideline during a timeout but stopped before reaching the Dolphins coaching staff.

After signaling for a ball, the 32-year-old quarterback began playing catch with a teammate.

An odd moment quickly became a nervous one for those familiar with Pennington's long history of right shoulder problems.

"I thought that was weird," one Dolphins insider said. "I saw that and thought, 'His arm is hurting.'"

In the press box, former Jets defensive end Marty Lyons, who as a radio analyst covered Pennington's career in New York, wondered the same thing.

Pennington, who would finish the day with 43 attempts, already had thrown 25 passes, more than he did during four of his seven starts with the Jets in 2007. He also had just been flattened on a blindside sack by 270-pound linebacker Calvin Pace, landing on the shoulder that needed two career-threatening surgeries in 2005.

"He got hit and either he jammed the shoulder or felt some twinge in the shoulder," Lyons said. "He just wanted to make sure that stiffness didn't settle in."

For Dolphins fans, who watched in frustration as Pennington dinked and dunked his way to a 7-1 record against Miami, averaging 165 yards per game with nine touchdowns and just one interception, Sunday's debut in aqua and orange was a familiar display hardly reminiscent of Dan Marino.

Pennington threw only two passes of more than 20 yards in the air against his former team and he was 1-of-7 on throws described as "deep" in the official NFL game summary.

Several throws were wobbly or fell shy of their target, including a game-ending lob into the end zone that was intercepted.

Still, considering the Dolphins' poor running game (16 carries, 43 yards), shaky pass protection (four sacks, six knockdowns) and lack of playmakers in the receiving corps (six catches, 62 yards), some believe the nine-yearveteran did about as well as could be expected.

"I thought he did everything you could want a quarterback to do with a first-year coach and that type of team," said Super Bowl-winning quarterback and CBS analyst Phil Simms, who called Sunday's 20-14 loss for CBS. "It was a rough day. They made every mistake you could make to lose a football game and they still had a chance to win it at the end."

For all the doubts about his arm strength, Pennington has proven he can hold down a job and win in the NFL.

He entered the season ranked seventh all-time with a passer rating of 88.9, and his career completion percentage of 65.6 leads all passers with at least 1,500 attempts.

"That let's you know he's smart with the ball," Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter said. "He's proven that his way works."

Pennington's way is a major upgrade for a franchise coming off a 1-15 record that has started a dozen different quarterbacks since Marino retired following the 1999 season.

But wherever he goes, Pennington faces questions about his passing ability.

"That is the perception of Chad Pennington," Simms said. "No matter what he does it's always there. It's always held against him."

Since his rookie season in 2000, Pennington's arm has undergone as much surgery and scrutiny as any quarterback's in the NFL.

He made up for his physical limitations with smarts and savvy to become the Jets starter in 2002, leading them to a 9-7 record and a 41-0 playoff win against Peyton Manning and the Colts. But when Pennington injured his shoulder two seasons later, and again in 2005, many expected two rotator cuff surgeries in an eight-month span would rob him of the arm strength he had.

"To be able to go through two shoulder surgeries and still come back, it's a testament to the determination that Chad has," said former Dolphins quarterback Jay Fielder, who was Pennington's teammate in 2005 and suffered a career-ending shoulder injury in the same game. "He's a guy that will go to the end of the earth to make sure he does everything possible to compete on Sundays."

This past off-season, Pennington continued to rehabilitate his body and reinvent his throwing motion, focusing on using his lower body more and his upper body less during his throwing motion.

But Pennington also knows he needs rest. On Thursday, he said coaches have been giving some first-team snaps to rookie Chad Henne so Pennington can give his shoulder a breather.

"I threw more than I normally do during training camp," said Pennington, who signed with the Dolphins on Aug. 9. "I'm just backing down now to where my gun is still loaded at the end of the season."

Pennington has had to get by with a little less firepower than most NFL starting quarterbacks.

Two-time MVP Kurt Warner, the 37-year-old quarterback for the Cardinals, said he, like Pennington, was forced to take a hard look at himself when his career hit a rough patch a few seasons ago.

Three seasons after winning a Super Bowl with the '99 St. Louis Rams, Warner was criticized for holding the ball too long and taking too many sacks. In 2004, he signed with the New York Giants, then moved on to Arizona in 2005.

"The first thing I do is I really try to be critical of myself and try to weigh the criticisms I hear about me," Warner said this week. "I think that's what you continue to see with Chad. He's been doubted and people sayhis arm's not strong enough, yet he goes down there and surfaces as the starting quarterback.

"There's intangibles that come with Chad Pennington that you can't describe and you can't measure. It's just something he brings to the table."

Players follow Pennington, who was named one of the Dolphins' team captains. But to lead the Dolphins to wins, Pennington is going to use more of the field than he did on opening day.

Of his 26 completions, 12 were to his tight ends and eight to his running backs. Pennington averaged a meager 5.8 yards per attempt.

Miami's punchless running game and inexperienced receiving corps didn't help. No Dolphins receiver on the active roster had more than 50 NFL catches.

"That's the one big issue there," said former All-Pro cornerback Eric Allen, who's an NFL analyst for ESPN. "His whole game is accuracy and timing. As long as his receivers understand that he can have some success with that."

How much success is the question, especially against the NFL's better teams.

A season ago, the Giants intercepted Pennington three times in the final 35 minutes by jumping the Jets short routes and forcing Pennington to throw downfield.

"We knew he wasn't like Peyton Manning or a guy who can put it in there," said Giants cornerback Sam Madison, who also faced Pennington as a Dolphin.

"We knew we had to cover the ball deep and that it would long and just hanging in the air."

The Giants went on to win the Super Bowl.

The Dolphins would be happy to just win some games this season. They believe Pennington is more than capable.

"For what we ask him to do and what we need him to do," Porter said, "he's the perfect guy for our team."
    Watch out. He's reinventing his throwing motion again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JediJustin View Post
    Huge +1.

Enough with the Noodle threads already...

But, without them, what would CTM have to contribute.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's our former QB, and now plays for a division rival. His limitations that haunted us for years are now a hated enemy's problem. Do you honestly expect threads about him to just up and dissappear? To borrow a line from ole' Tx... delusional.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frankly my take on it was..........."Well duh! We coulda told you that!"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dead horse - time to move on, and be grateful its not our problem anymore.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    But, without them, what would CTM have to contribute.
    Photoshops jobs of AKF ribs and Mainejet bagging a 5-point AKF?

But I'd much rather read your witty contributions...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dink 'n dump.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    I call these threads "Happiness" threads.

Let the Dolphins crow about intangibles, and then we can laugh as they try to rationalize why their skill players are all concussed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I call these threads "Happiness" threads.

Let the Dolphins crow about intangibles, and then we can laugh as they try to rationalize why their skill players are all concussed.
    Exactly.......its the same rationalization we heard while he was here. People love to make excuses for the guy.....poor skill players...bad O-line. Glad he is not our problem anymore.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I walked out to the driveway, picked up my daily Palm Beach Post, poured a cup o' mud, sat down, grabbed the Sports section and LAUGHED OUT LOUD!!

The 'Chad is Our Savior' crap that I have been listening to for the last month has been comical.
    It took one game to show how limited Chad is. Why ANYONE down here expected different was beyond me.

Anyway, I agree, we move on from Penny.
    He is yesterday's Palm Beach Post.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's some useless things in life that I ponder, like cliches.

"Don't beat a dead horse," is an appropriate cliche for the article and this thread.

But I wonder, who came up with that cliche? Was there people out there who actually beat dead horses long time ago?

Then, did one guy come along and say, "Whoa, hold up fellas. The horse is dead, you should stop beatin' em"?

And a cliche was born?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    This horse has run it's course.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow chad ~ ~ ~

> http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphin...svc=7&cxcat=46

~ ~ ~ " . . . For all the doubts about his arm strength . . . "

now ; there's a revelation . . .

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Already posted, discussed adnauseum and moved to the dump.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    didn't they just move this thread.... we already have the news on Noodleton...