Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under Palin, Wasilla charged rape victims for exam

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Under Palin, Wasilla charged rape victims for exam

Claim to be a rape victim? Cash up to prove it. Only town in the state of Alaska to do it.
    Alaska does not have a very good record when it comes to the treatment of their women.

[QUOTE]McClatchy Washington Bureau
    Print This Article
    Posted on Thu, Sep. 11, 2008

Critics: Under Palin, Wasilla charged rape victims for exam
    George Bryson | Anchorage Daily News
    last updated: September 11, 2008 07:41:22 AM

Two state leaders lashed out at the public record of Gov. Sarah Palin on Wednesday as witnesses in a new "Alaska Mythbusters" forum coordinated by supporters of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

Speaking to a teleconference audience of reporters around the nation, former Gov. Tony Knowles and current Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein -- both Democrats -- accused Palin of misleading the public in her new role as the vice presidential running mate of Arizona Sen. John McCain.

While some of their complaints have already been aired, Knowles broke new ground while answering a reporter's question on whether Wasilla forced rape victims to pay for their own forensic tests when Palin was mayor.

True, Knowles said.

Eight years ago, complaints about charging rape victims for medical exams in Wasilla prompted the Alaska Legislature to pass a bill -- signed into law by Knowles -- that banned the practice statewide.

[B]"There was one town in Alaska that was charging victims for this, and that was Wasilla," Knowles said[/B]

A May 23, 2000, article in Wasilla's newspaper, The Frontiersman, noted that Alaska State Troopers and most municipal police agencies regularly pay for such exams, which cost between $300 and $1,200 apiece.

"(But) the Wasilla police department does charge the victims of sexual assault for the tests," the newspaper reported.

[B]It also quoted Wasilla Police Chief Charlie Fannon objecting to the law. Fannon was appointed to his position by Palin after her dismissal of the previous police chief. He said it would cost Wasilla $5,000 to $14,000 a year if the city had to foot the bill for rape exams.[/B]

"In the past we've charged the cost of exams to the victims' insurance company when possible," Fannon told the newspaper. "I just don't want to see any more burden put on the taxpayer."

An effort to reach Fannon by phone Wednesday was not successful.

Knowles and Weinstein also went after the Republican ticket on several statements now airing in campaign ads around the nation, including Palin's claim that she opposed federal money for the "bridge to nowhere."

The governor has refused to acknowledge her explicit support for the $230 million Gravina Island Access Project in her effort to sound more like an anti-earmark reformer to a national audience, Weinstein said.

And she still supports spending $400 million to $600 million on "the other Bridge to Nowhere," the Knik Arm Crossing, which would provide residents in Palin's hometown of Wasilla faster access to Anchorage, Knowles added.

"That project is moving right ahead," said Knowles, who served as governor of Alaska from 1994 to 2002. "The money for that project was not diverted anywhere else. ... So (for her) to say she said, 'Thanks, but no thanks....' I would say she said, 'Thanks!'"

A phone call to Meg Stapleton, a spokeswoman for the Alaska office of the McCain-Palin campaign, was not returned Wednesday.

However, the Republican side lost little time in organizing a national truth squad of its own to battle what it considers "smears" of Palin by Democrats. A list of the names of more than 50 members of a Palin truth team, posted Monday on the Atlantic Monthly magazine Web site, included three Alaskans: Stapleton (a former Palin aide); Kristan Cole, a longtime friend; and Republican Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell.

As a former governor, Knowles said, he's reluctant to criticize an active governor. But he decided to make an exception with Palin.

"In this situation it's not just a sitting governor," he said. "Our current governor is a candidate for the vice presidency and a heartbeat away from the presidency."[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.mcclatchydc.com/100/story/52266.html[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep it coming...this is absolutely great. You guys on the left simply don't get it...Obama is running against McCain...and you're all devoting 100% of your energies on digging up sh:t on Palin (and making up sh:t on Palin), and it is as transparent as it is distasteful to a large part of the voting public. When the giant cigar blows up in your face in November, I'll be the loudest one laughing my ass off.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you don't want to anything about her and the way she has governed? You want her to be ignored?

[QUOTE=shakin318;2747720]Keep it coming...this is absolutely great. You guys on the left simply don't get it...Obama is running against McCain...and you're all devoting 100% of your energies on digging up sh:t on Palin (and making up sh:t on Palin), and it is as transparent as it is distasteful to a large part of the voting public. When the giant cigar blows up in your face in November, I'll be the loudest one laughing my ass off.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2747720]Keep it coming...this is absolutely great. You guys on the left simply don't get it...Obama is running against McCain...and you're all devoting 100% of your energies on digging up sh:t on Palin (and making up sh:t on Palin), and it is as transparent as it is distasteful to a large part of the voting public. When the giant cigar blows up in your face in November, I'll be the loudest one laughing my ass off.[/QUOTE]

Does this example bother you at all?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read on a very reputable web site today that Sarah Palin has been involved in a 3 year extramarital affair with Big Foot! :mad:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2747727]I guess you don't want to anything about her and the way she has governed? You want her to be ignored?[/QUOTE]

Tell us about Obama's record, if you can find one. His state record is missing or quite a few parts and he has changed his position more often then a whore!

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2748440]Tell us about Obama's record, if you can find one. His state record is missing or quite a few parts and he has changed his position more often then a whore![/QUOTE]

I think it is your job as a McCain supporter to tell us about Obama's record and how terrible it is.

So run along, read something, bring back some evidence about Senator Obama and post it.

That is how it works.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bull**** story about the rape kits has already been debunked. So you didn't do you're homework or your just trying to be an assclown. :rolleyes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, no, you're wrong once again. As McCain is still a flip-flopping warhawk, and an empty seat for energy votes, who garners plenty of fire power squarly aimed at him.

What's it like being so dead wrong in almost every post you offer? Fun?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]A May 23, 2000, article in Wasilla's newspaper, The Frontiersman, noted that Alaska State Troopers and most municipal police agencies regularly pay for such exams, which cost between $300 and $1,200 apiece.

"(But) the Wasilla police department does charge the victims of sexual assault for the tests," the newspaper reported.

It also quoted Wasilla Police Chief Charlie Fannon objecting to the law. Fannon was appointed to his position by Palin after her dismissal of the previous police chief. He said it would cost Wasilla $5,000 to $14,000 a year if the city had to foot the bill for rape exams.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Alot of rapes for such a small town.

Are these those "small town values" everyone keeps talking about? Kinda like the "small town values" in Missouri where women cut babies out of pregnant women and pastor wannabes microwave their 2 month old child?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, you have given us all a front seat view of why we are so screwed going forward in this country. Thanks to the cess pool media, we have millions of people running around ignoring issues and focusing on garbage. The article highlights some very serious women's rights issues. And instead of debating it, you try to turn the discussion into a political pissing contest.

But that is par for the course in our political world of 2008. People go back and forth opening their head to polarizing and hate filled political talk that focuses on gossip instead of issues. Instead of talking about real issues, the media dazzles the sheeple with stories about lapel pins, pregnant daughters, family priests, hand placement during the national anthem etc, etc.

And the majority of the sheeple gobble it up. They can quote stories from gossip magazines like the National Enquirer-and think its real news. Many will go so far as to say that the Enquirer is a better source then the NY Times (true story). And while all of the media sends out gossip stories to mesmerize the weak minded, the real criminals continue to get away with murder, literally.

The real criminals, the people who our bought and paid for media should focus on, get away with purposely creating lies to start a war. Thousands of soldiers have died as well as hundreds of thousands of innocent citizens in Iraq who were caught in the cross fire of a war that should have never been fought.

The biggest lie of all is when the same people who orchestrated these lies stand before the American people and scream "we are for the soldiers". And even the injured soldiers who were lucky to make it home got a first hand look at how much they are loved by the people in power. They got to go to the VA hospitals.

Shakin, keep up the good work of being a tool. You'll continue to tirelessly check for spelling on everyone's post, yet you will fail to check whether the administration lied about sending our soldiers to war :zzz:
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 09-14-2008 at 07:20 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2748617]Congratulations, you have given us all a front seat view of why we are so screwed going forward in this country. Thanks to the cess pool media, we have millions of people running around ignoring issues and focusing on garbage. The article highlights some very serious women's rights issues. And instead of debating it, you try to turn the discussion into a political pissing contest.

But that is par for the course in our political world of 2008. People go back and forth opening their head to polarizing and hate filled political talk that focuses on gossip instead of issues. Instead of talking about real issues, the media dazzles the sheeple with stories about lapel pins, pregnant daughters, family priests, hand placement during the national anthem etc, etc.

And the majority of the sheeple gobble it up. They can quote stories from gossip magazines like the National Enquirer-and think its real news. Many will go so far as to say that the Enquirer is a better source then the NY Times (true story). And while all of the media sends out gossip stories to mesmerize the weak minded, the real criminals continue to get away with murder, literally.

The real criminals, the people who our bought and paid for media should focus on, get away with purposely creating lies to start a war. Thousands of soldiers have died as well as hundreds of thousands of innocent citizens in Iraq who were caught in the cross fire of a war that should have never been fought.

The biggest lie of all is when the same people who orchestrated these lies stand before the American people and scream "we are for the soldiers". And even the injured soldiers who were lucky to make it home got a first hand look at how much they are loved by the people in power. They got to go to the VA hospitals.

Shakin, keep up the good work of being a tool. You'll continue to tirelessly check for spelling on everyone's post, yet you will fail to check whether the administration lied about sending our soldiers to war :zzz:[/QUOTE]

So why didn't Obama agree to the series of town meetings and debate with McCain if they were so concerned with issues and not gossip?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2747705]Claim to be a rape victim? Cash up to prove it. Only town in the state of Alaska to do it.
    Alaska does not have a very good record when it comes to the treatment of their women.

[url]http://www.mcclatchydc.com/100/story/52266.html[/url][/QUOTE]

For a poster who claims they haven't made up their mind on who they will be voting for, you sure are one sided on who you go after.

Nothing at all on Obama, Biden? Hmmm....:zzz:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2748621]So why didn't Obama agree to the series of town meetings and debate with McCain if they were so concerned with issues and not gossip?[/QUOTE]

Who said the democrats were any different?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2748444]I think it is your job as a McCain supporter to tell us about Obama's record and how terrible it is.[/QUOTE]

Since the Democratic primaries Barack Obama has changed or 'modified' his political positions regarding:

1. Talking openly with Iranian Leaders

2. Support for NAFTA

3. Campaign finance

4. Support for Israel

5. Corporate taxes

6. 16 month pullout of Iraq

If you notice, Barack Obama rarely talks about 'issues'. On Friday he launched a personal attack ad on John McCain relating to McCain's unwillingness to embrace computers, or something like that.

But, I honestly thought the idea of Barack Obama was first and foremost to prevent Hillary Clinton from getting the Democratic presidential nomination. After that, there's no guarantees.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2747720]Keep it coming...this is absolutely great. You guys on the left simply don't get it...Obama is running against McCain...and you're all devoting 100% of your energies on digging up sh:t on Palin (and making up sh:t on Palin), and it is as transparent as it is distasteful to a large part of the voting public. When the giant cigar blows up in your face in November, [B]I'll be the loudest one laughing my ass off[/B].[/QUOTE]

I'll be right there with you....The desperation from the left is getting really funny.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2748642]Since the Democratic primaries Barack Obama has changed or 'modified' his political positions regarding:

1. Talking openly with Iranian Leaders

2. Support for NAFTA

3. Campaign finance

4. Support for Israel

5. Corporate taxes

6. 16 month pullout of Iraq

If you notice, Barack Obama rarely talks about 'issues'. On Friday he launched a personal attack ad on John McCain relating to McCain's unwillingness to embrace computers, or something like that.

But, I honestly thought the idea of Barack Obama was first and foremost to prevent Hillary Clinton from getting the Democratic presidential nomination. After that, there's no guarantees.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have someone who isn't afraid to modify his position or make an adjustment than someone like McBush who's going to give us just more of the same garbage we've been getting for the past 8 years.

Wow, Obama has changed his mind about a 16 month pullout of Iraq and maybe wants to do it in 2 years instead. We need to get the hell out of that disaster ASAP. I don't care what these inept neocon chickenhawks on the right say or think - they have been wrong about everything.

McCain's idea of an Iraq pullout is drawing down our troops there to 100,000 by the year 2080. Obama wants to end this clusterf*ck by the end of his first term. I'll take the latter plan any day of the week.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like I said, it's like the wild west up there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2747727]I guess you don't want to anything about her and the way she has governed? You want her to be ignored?[/QUOTE]
    No way do I want her to be ignored. To review her record as governor, on one hand you have her political enemies, Democratic ex-governors, leveling charges...on the other, you have her 80% approval rating and record as someone who, you know, actually reformed things - bucked her own party even.

Now, on the other hand, you've got Chicago's Obama who's never strayed from the party line in his short political life. He was present though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it has been please show where you read that, this was written by McClatchy a pretty good news source.

[QUOTE=quantum;2748459]The bull**** story about the rape kits has already been debunked. So you didn't do you're homework or your just trying to be an assclown. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]