Thread: Barack Obama May Lose 2008 Presidential Election To...Barack Obama!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Barack Obama May Lose 2008 Presidential Election To...Barack Obama!

"A Debate Obama Cannot Win"
    The Washington Times
    Editorial
    September 14, 2008

Many voters and critics are still asking: Who is Mr. Obama? He has told us who he is through his record and deeds: a liberal politician who will abandon all his principles at the drop of a hat in order to be elected. This is not new or fresh: It is precisely the 'failed policies of the past' that he brilliantly identified, but cannot surmount.

[B]Mr. Obama's "new kind of politics" - which was based on telling the truth, being a principled politician and treating one's opponents fairly - collapsed once he secured the nomination in June. He reversed course with dizzying speed on NAFTA, FISA, public financing of campaigns, whether the D.C. gun ban was constitutional, meeting with rogue leaders without preconditions and the unity of Jerusalem. He even qualified his Iraq policy by stating it would be "refined" according to "conditions on the ground." Most recently, in light of the economic downturn, Mr. Obama stated he might reconsider implementing the tax increases in his economic plan.[/B]

Mr. Obama appeared authentic during the Democratic campaign as a liberal champion: In running to the left of Hillary Clinton, he was passionate, fiery and convincing. Yet since his mad dash to the center, he appears uncomfortable: [B]He stammers and stutters in response to questions rather than speaking forthrightly.[/B] The polished, Ivy League-educated senator now uses "folksy" expressions. This downhome speaking manner is geared toward attracting white, blue collar voters - and is not in consonance with his impeccable oratory. He is now packaged and artificial.

Instead of being a genteel campaigner, Mr. Obama and his surrogates have spent days attacking Mr. McCain's running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, for her inexperience. He has been charged with leveling low blows and sexism. Highlighting Mrs. Palin's inexperience is a foolish strategy for one whose level of experience is, at best, equivalent to hers.

Mr. Obama has also assaulted Mrs. Palin for not being a true reformer. Yet it is he who has a record of requesting $936 million in earmarks. Mr. Obama's record reveals that he is part of the Washington problem, rather than its solution.

The Illinois senator no longer represents generational change and the future: He selected a vice president that is mired in the past. Sen. Joseph Biden is a Washington insider whose voting record is symmetrical to that of the nominee: liberal and partisan. Together, they fall far short of the "bipartisanship" that was pledged.

Instead of "The Dream Team" Obama-Clinton ticket many Democrats hoped for, the Obama-Biden ticket appears to be the "The Snooze Team," they dreaded.

[B]Mr. Obama stated that voters need not be spooked by his thin foreign-policy resume, but should look to his judgment. These statements were cheered throughout the primaries when the Iraq war was going badly. But once the surge succeeded, Mr. Obama has been unable to convince Americans that his judgment is in fact sound.

For weeks, Mr. Obama refused to acknowledge the success of the surge. Now, he acknowledges it at last, but still does not admit that he was initially wrong in his opposition. Clearly, his judgment on foreign affairs is often overcome by prejudices or expediency. Again, he set the terms of the debate and then failed his own test.[/B]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE][B]Mr. Obama's "new kind of politics" - which was based on telling the truth, being a principled politician and treating one's opponents fairly - collapsed once he secured the nomination in June. He reversed course with dizzying speed on NAFTA, FISA, public financing of campaigns, whether the D.C. gun ban was constitutional, meeting with rogue leaders without preconditions and the unity of Jerusalem. He even qualified his Iraq policy by stating it would be "refined" according to "conditions on the ground." Most recently, in light of the economic downturn, Mr. Obama stated he might reconsider implementing the tax increases in his economic plan.[/B][/QUOTE]

So, by that statement of truth, one can easily conclude that Barack Obama is FOUR MORE YEARS OF GEORGE BUSH!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2750459]
    For weeks, Mr. Obama refused to acknowledge the success of the surge. Now, he acknowledges it at last, but still does not admit that he was initially wrong in his opposition. Clearly, his judgment on foreign affairs is often overcome by prejudices or expediency. Again, he set the terms of the debate and then failed his own test.[/B][/QUOTE]

I thought he defended his rationale for voting against the surge quite well.

From Fox: "If you look at the debate that was taking place, we had gone through five years of mismanagement of this war that I thought was disastrous. And the president wanted to double down and continue on an open-ended policy that did not create the kinds of pressure on the Iraqis to take responsibility and reconcile."

Though he ended up being wrong, he was right in saying the we had a misguided tact in the beginning. Bush listening to Rumsfeld and sending in fewer troops over in the first place helped create the situation. His real mistake was not recognizing that once there was a fundamental shift from Donald's plan to what was Powell's, things would change.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    no it'll be four years of partisian,liberal politics.this might be the best thing to happen to the republicans in a long time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Though he ended up being wrong, he was right in saying the we had a misguided tact in the beginning.[/QUOTE]

DK - That's what Democrats call 'nuance'. And nuance is always deadly for their election prospects.

But to a larger point, I think the article describes Barack Obama as he is today. The Barack Obama that voters support no longer exists. They're thinking of the Barack Obama of about five months ago.

:jets18

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2753070]DK - That's what Democrats call 'nuance'. And nuance is always deadly for their election prospects.

But to a larger point, I think the article describes Barack Obama as he is today. The Barack Obama that voters support no longer exists. They're thinking of the Barack Obama of about five months ago.

:jets18[/QUOTE]

I'd argue that the Obama of five months ago was just a dream and never really existed. His message of post-partisan politics and undefined change was eventually shown to be what it is, smoke and mirrors. That doesn't make him a bad man, just a politician. In fact, it makes him quite a good politician that he was able to come so far on so little.

To 2foolish, I agree. Anyone who thinks they're getting anything other than a President who will go left before center will be in for a surprise. Though I wouldn't ignore the hate the GOP will receive for filibustering everything they disagree with. It would be an interesting 4 years to say the least.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE][B]He reversed course with dizzying speed on NAFTA, FISA, public financing of campaigns, whether the D.C. gun ban was constitutional, meeting with rogue leaders without preconditions and the unity of Jerusalem. He even qualified his Iraq policy by stating it would be "refined" according to "conditions on the ground." Most recently, in light of the economic downturn, Mr. Obama stated he might reconsider implementing the tax increases in his economic plan.[/B][/QUOTE]

That's a total of eight (8) position reversals/changes by Barack Obama since winning the 2008 Democratic Presidential nomination in June - only three months ago. I think his supporters prefer not to know that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2750459]"A Debate Obama Cannot Win"
    The Washington Times
    Editorial
    September 14, 2008

Many voters and critics are still asking: Who is Mr. Obama? He has told us who he is through his record and deeds: a liberal politician who will abandon all his principles at the drop of a hat in order to be elected. This is not new or fresh: It is precisely the 'failed policies of the past' that he brilliantly identified, but cannot surmount.

[B]Mr. Obama's "new kind of politics" - which was based on telling the truth, being a principled politician and treating one's opponents fairly - collapsed once he secured the nomination in June. He reversed course with dizzying speed on NAFTA, FISA, public financing of campaigns, whether the D.C. gun ban was constitutional, meeting with rogue leaders without preconditions and the unity of Jerusalem. He even qualified his Iraq policy by stating it would be "refined" according to "conditions on the ground." Most recently, in light of the economic downturn, Mr. Obama stated he might reconsider implementing the tax increases in his economic plan.[/B]

Mr. Obama appeared authentic during the Democratic campaign as a liberal champion: In running to the left of Hillary Clinton, he was passionate, fiery and convincing. Yet since his mad dash to the center, he appears uncomfortable: [B]He stammers and stutters in response to questions rather than speaking forthrightly.[/B] The polished, Ivy League-educated senator now uses "folksy" expressions. [B][SIZE="5"]This downhome speaking manner is geared toward attracting white, blue collar voters - and is not in consonance with his impeccable oratory. He is now packaged and artificial.[/SIZE][/B]

Instead of being a genteel campaigner, Mr. Obama and his surrogates have spent days attacking Mr. McCain's running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, for her inexperience. He has been charged with leveling low blows and sexism. Highlighting Mrs. Palin's inexperience is a foolish strategy for one whose level of experience is, at best, equivalent to hers.

Mr. Obama has also assaulted Mrs. Palin for not being a true reformer. Yet it is he who has a record of requesting $936 million in earmarks. Mr. Obama's record reveals that he is part of the Washington problem, rather than its solution.

The Illinois senator no longer represents generational change and the future: He selected a vice president that is mired in the past. Sen. Joseph Biden is a Washington insider whose voting record is symmetrical to that of the nominee: liberal and partisan. Together, they fall far short of the "bipartisanship" that was pledged.

Instead of "The Dream Team" Obama-Clinton ticket many Democrats hoped for, the Obama-Biden ticket appears to be the "The Snooze Team," they dreaded.

[B]Mr. Obama stated that voters need not be spooked by his thin foreign-policy resume, but should look to his judgment. These statements were cheered throughout the primaries when the Iraq war was going badly. But once the surge succeeded, Mr. Obama has been unable to convince Americans that his judgment is in fact sound.

For weeks, Mr. Obama refused to acknowledge the success of the surge. Now, he acknowledges it at last, but still does not admit that he was initially wrong in his opposition. Clearly, his judgment on foreign affairs is often overcome by prejudices or expediency. Again, he set the terms of the debate and then failed his own test.[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh give me a break

And McCain picked Palin because shes the next Reagan.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2753139]That's a total of eight (8) position reversals/changes by Barack Obama since winning the 2008 Democratic Presidential nomination in June - only three months ago. I think his supporters prefer not to know that.

To be fair, McCain switched positions on Bush's tax cuts, offshore drilling, his own immigration bill and is now friendly with the evangelical right, who he used to despise. Though if he had any hope of getting elected, he needed to switch on that last point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJCAP2;2753144]Oh give me a break

And McCain picked Palin because shes the next Reagan.[/QUOTE]

So long as Sarah Palin isn't asking wheelchair bound people to walk (Biden), or telling crowds of voters that John McCain should have selected someone else to be his VP runningmate (Biden), or even saying several times that John McCain isn't ready to be President of the USA (Biden), she should be OK.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Obama is screwing up right now.

During the primaries he played up the fact that he was new and different. That he was going to run a clean campaign and not resort to negative campaigning. He played up to the Clintons' smear tactics masterfully by simply turning the other cheek, and that made him look sincere, which really appealed to people.

It seems as soon as he won the primary he did a 180. First he picked Biden, which contradicts his entire platform of change. Biden's an old school Washington politician. Second, he's concentrated only on Sarah Palin. The dems are obsessed with her to the point that it seems as if Obama's running against her instead of McCain. On top of that, they've resorted to the same negative campaigning that he rejected during the primaries.

Since McCain picked Palin, the democrats have been working non-stop trying to smear her. If she's as dumb and inept as they're trying to portray her, then let her sink herself. If she doesn't do it on the campaign trail, she'll do it in the debates.

Finally, and this isn't Obama's fault, but the media is hurting him badly. In the last few weeks it has become painfully obvious that the media is pulling big time for him, and that is turning people off to him. The little objectivity that the media did have has been tossed out the window.

This election should be a cakewalk for Obama. People are so dissatified with Bush that he should be able to waltz right into the White House. The fact that the race is close right now is mind-boggling.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 09-16-2008 at 09:11 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2754140]Finally, and this isn't Obama's fault, but the media is hurting him badly. In the last few weeks it has become painfully obvious that the media is pulling big time for him, and that is turning people off to him. The little objectivity that the media did have has been tossed out the window. This election should be a cakewalk for Obama. People are so dissatified with Bush that he should be able to waltz right into the White House. The fact that the race is close right now is mind-boggling.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the media is really pro-Obama any longer. It's just that the media were so anti-Hillary Clinton (who isn't?) during the Democratic primaries the process favored Barack. With the election getting closer Barack Obama is getting the scrutiny he never faced.

But, seriously, doesn't Obama know the deal? Doesn't he know that the reason he won the Democratic nomination, the ONLY reason he won the Democratic nomination, was because there were enough anti-Hillary voters in the Democratic party than pro-Hillary voters? Doesn't he know that right now he's in over his head? I think he does. Surely he must read the poll where only 44% of the American voting public think he's ready to be President of the USA where McCain hits 63%. I think Obama knows the deal.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2754055]So long as Sarah Palin isn't asking wheelchair bound people to walk (Biden), or telling crowds of voters that John McCain should have selected someone else to be his VP runningmate (Biden), or even saying several times that John McCain isn't ready to be President of the USA (Biden), she should be OK.

That's the best you can do?! A few gaffs! How about not being investigated for serious breeches of ethics and abuse of power?! Or knowing a cent about foreign policy?! Or embracing earmarks more than anyone else?! Or blatently lying about numerous "maverick" positions?! Nah, those are just minor!

And hey! Lookie here! Didn't McCain change his position just this morning?! He's unfit for the presidency!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SDJETS;2755076]That's the best you can do?! A few gaffs! How about not being investigated for serious breeches of ethics and abuse of power?! Or knowing a cent about foreign policy?! Or embracing earmarks more than anyone else?! Or blatently lying about numerous "maverick" positions?! Nah, those are just minor! And hey! Lookie here! Didn't McCain change his position just this morning?! He's unfit for the presidency![/QUOTE]

SDJ, Biden saying publicly several times that Barack Obama is NOT ready to be President of the USA is not a gaff. (Then, Obama actually selects Biden to be his VP running mate. I know I'm alone in this, but to this day I don't understand why the media didn't drum Obama out of the Presidential race right-then-and-there when Obama selected Biden, given Biden's earlier statements). Biden also saying that Hillary Clinton may have been a better choice to be Obama's VP running mate is not a gaff, either.

Obama's judgment of Biden. Biden's judgment of Obama.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2755090]SDJ, [B]Biden saying publicly several times that Barack Obama is NOT ready to be President of the USA is not a gaff.[/B] (Then, Obama actually selects Biden to be his VP running mate. I know I'm alone in this, but to this day I don't understand why the media didn't drum Obama out of the Presidential race right-then-and-there when Obama selected Biden, given Biden's earlier statements). Biden also saying that Hillary Clinton may have been a better choice to be Obama's VP running mate is not a gaff, either.

Jesus.. get over it, do you know how common this is? I'm no election veteran, but this always happens.

Bush called RR plan for the economy voodoo economics, he then picked Bush to be his VP.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2755090]SDJ, Biden saying publicly several times that Barack Obama is NOT ready to be President of the USA is not a gaff. (Then, Obama actually selects Biden to be his VP running mate. I know I'm alone in this, but to this day I don't understand why the media didn't drum Obama out of the Presidential race right-then-and-there when Obama selected Biden, given Biden's earlier statements). Biden also saying that Hillary Clinton may have been a better choice to be Obama's VP running mate is not a gaff, either.

Yeah, and McCain himself went after Palin for her earmarks and then selected her. It happens all the time. By all means focus on that. Me? I'd much rather my VP you, know, not potentially have abused her power and continued the Bush-style cronyism that has gotten us where we are...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look, SDJ, Tyler, DK, et al. I want you ALL to understand one simple thing? This Monday night the NEW YORK CITY JETS will put a hurtin' on the 0-2 San Diego Chargers!

JETS - 34
    bolts - 10

SDJ, are you going to the game? If so, where will you be sitting so we can look for you. Or are you not even in San Diego? I might not see too many more JETS games on TV because the Albany station broadcasts deep into nearby New England so the Patriots* games will be aired instead.