View Poll Results: What is the most devestating loss to you as a Jet fan

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2008 loss to New England (missed opportunity to take back our home and the AFC East)

5 5.75%
  • 2004 playoff loss to Pittsburgh (two missed field goals at the end seal our fates)

46 52.87%
  • 1994 loss to Miami (clock play, sent us into a tail spin that lasted till 1997)

3 3.45%
  • 1986 playoff loss to Cleveland (a Mark Gastineau late hit leads us to a blown lead)

33 37.93%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: As Jets fans, what is the most devestating loss

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

As Jets fans, what is the most devestating loss

-Yesterday's game (missed opportunity to take back our home field and the division)
    -The 2004 playoff loss to Pittsburgh (two missed field goals at the end that kept us from the AFC Championship game)
    -The clock play game (which sent us into a tailspin that lasted until 1997).
    -The 1986 playoff loss to Cleveland (a Mark Gastineau late hit away from going to the AFC Championship game).

Please note I did not include the 1999 loss to the Patriots (pre-asterik) as the loss itself wasn't what was devestating (it was the injury during the game).

For me, I would say the clock play game, but only barely above yesterday's game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not listed, but for me, it was definitely the 1998 AFC Championship Game in Denver. A 10 point lead with less than 30 minutes of football left before a trip to the Super Bowl....poof, gone like that.

Out of what you listed I'd have to say Pittsburgh game. Jets fans are used to getting their hearts ripped out, but not 3 times in a span of half an hour.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday's game doesn't even belong on the list.

What's the clock play game?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Not listed, but for me, it was definitely the 1998 AFC Championship Game in Denver. A 10 point lead with less than 30 minutes of football left before a trip to the Super Bowl....poof, gone like that.

Out of what you listed I'd have to say Pittsburgh game. Jets fans are used to getting their hearts ripped out, but not 3 times in a span of half an hour.
    denver game

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    Yesterday's game doesn't even belong on the list.

What's the clock play game?
    I think he means the fake spike but I'm not sure.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    1998 loss in the championship final. It was painful to accept the inevitable that we would lose (and I only became a fan fan in 1997).

But Brien is a close close second. I cried myself to sleep that night.

Yesterday is seeming more OK now. Hopefully this will light a fire under the team's ass like it did in 2006? when we got destroyed by JAX 42-0 or whatever.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    people, get the **** over it. yesterday's loss was a bad regular season loss, like any other bad regular season loss that ALL teams endure EVERY season in the NFL.

it has no place being on this list, and quite frankly, it's way past time that people forget about it and move on.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    denver game
    + 1

And its not even close. The Falcons were quite possibly the worst SB team ever.

This loss hurts, but by no means is it devestating.
    Last edited by JiF; 09-15-2008 at 06:38 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    82 AFC game in Miami

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL.

Yesterday's game was a regular season game that has very little bearing on the rest of the season. It's week 2. Not even close to the heartbreaking losses listed along with it. Man, some of you guys are emotional wrecks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Not listed, but for me, it was definitely the 1998 AFC Championship Game in Denver. .
    Who was the ex-Giant who muffed that punt? Without that play I believe we would have won the Super Bowl.

We had Parcells and Bellichick. That would have been the year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Man, some of you guys are emotional wrecks.
    You nailed it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-y-y-y View Post
    Who was the ex-Giant who muffed that punt? Without that play I believe we would have won the Super Bowl.

We had Parcells and Bellichick. That would have been the year.
    Dave Megget?

The big mistake was Victor Green losing Ed McCaffrey on 3rd down I believe. We were up 10 and Denver had 3rd and long. Stop them there and I think we win. Elway completes a bomb and a couple of plays later Terrell Davis is in the endzone to make it 10-7. Denver is right back in it and then, that kickoff that the milehigh wind turned into an onside kick that Denver got. I knew IMMEDIATELY that the Jets were not winning that game.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 09-16-2008 at 12:20 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by newjakecity View Post
    -Yesterday's game (missed opportunity to take back our home field and the division)
    -The 2004 playoff loss to Pittsburgh (two missed field goals at the end that kept us from the AFC Championship game)
    -The clock play game (which sent us into a tailspin that lasted until 1997).
    -The 1986 playoff loss to Cleveland (a Mark Gastineau late hit away from going to the AFC Championship game).

Please note I did not include the 1999 loss to the Patriots (pre-asterik) as the loss itself wasn't what was devestating (it was the injury during the game).

For me, I would say the clock play game, but only barely above yesterday's game.
    IM SURE THE CLEV GAME IS TRAILING DUE TO AGE OF POLLSTERS!!

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    1998, closely followed by 1986...

In 2004 I was 100% convinced the Pats would smoke us the next week anyway. It was bad, but not at bad..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    people, get the **** over it. yesterday's loss was a bad regular season loss, like any other bad regular season loss that ALL teams endure EVERY season in the NFL.

it has no place being on this list, and quite frankly, it's way past time that people forget about it and move on.
    Amen. I do hope that Mangini can come half way to Brett Favre and find a middle ground in the offensive game plan. But right now, Favre is not sharp and does not look comfortable out there. I fully expect things to improve.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    1986 loss to Cleveland without a doubt. The only game that I actually got on my knees in my house and started praying during a field goal attempt.

On side note, yesterday doesn't come even close to the hottest day. First game in 1983 -the last year at Shea. 100 degrees. We felt like we were in hell - literally.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Out of the ones listed above, mine is the '04 Pitt game. My number one choice is the AFC Championship game against Denver in '98.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Out of the ones listed above, mine is the '04 Pitt game. My number one choice is the AFC Championship game against Denver in '98.
    The PITT game was actually January 2005. I agree, I was personally DEVESTATED. No offense, all defensive scores that day AND a half time lead.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    The PITT game was actually January 2005. I agree, I was personally DEVESTATED. No offense, all defensive scores that day AND a half time lead.
    It was the 2004 season. The playoffs just fall after the New Year.