Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: mavs howard:i'm black.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2760681]Lighten up Francis. I volunteered.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your service. I mean that...even though we don't see eye to eye on this political forum, I repsect anyone who has served whether in a combat role or not.

PS...I volunteered for airborne school and later the Rangers. 2 years and 9 months worth.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just breaking your balls Night. I pray my son never has to go through what you have or what the troops are going through now.

[QUOTE=NIGHT STALKER;2760717]Thank you for your service. I mean that...even though we don't see eye to eye on this political forum, I repsect anyone who has served whether in a combat role or not.

PS...I volunteered for airborne school and later the Rangers. 2 years and 9 months worth.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    With Howard's NBA skills, he should be happy he's black.

If he was white, he'd be described as gritty and scrappy - with 10% of the contract.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    DALLAS -- [B]Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban says forward Josh Howard realizes his comments about the national anthem were wrong and the player has apologized.[/B]

In his online blog, Cuban also responded to e-mails he has received commenting on the player's remarks by saying Howard "will work with us" and "beyond that, it's a private issue."

Cuban posted a number of the inflammatory replies on his blog Thursday night, with the apparent e-mail addresses of the senders.

But by Friday night, Cuban's remarks slugged "Thanks for the advice on Josh" had been removed from the blog and replaced with a posting saying "I made my point."

Howard's comments, in a video posted on the Web site YouTube, show him on a football field at a charity flag football game. As the national anthem plays in the background, Howard approaches a camera and says: "'The Star-Spangled Banner' is going on right now. I don't even celebrate that [expletive]. I'm black."

Some e-mails said that Cuban posted made blatant racist remarks about Howard. Others suggested Howard should move to another country, be fined or fired.

Cuban's updated response said his original posting was "the right thing to do," but he says it left him with an upset stomach all day Friday.

"I thought it was important to point out the hatred and ignorance of so many who quickly judge people they have never met, based purely on soundbites and headlines," Cuban wrote late Friday. "I wanted to point out the irony of them experiencing the onslaught of attention from suddenly and unexpectedly being placed in the media spotlight from a throwaway comment."

Cuban said he knew those e-mailers would be receiving "the same level of hate, ignorance and judgment as Josh had and that's what bothered me all day."

Cuban ended by saying: "Hopefully something good came from it being posted."

Cuban did not immediately respond Friday night to an e-mail from The Associated Press.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFan24;2759183]Do they make everyone stand up and sing it at every sporting and political event? (here's a hint: the answer is no)[/QUOTE]

I'll give you a hint

[url]http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=081015123919.5457lveo&show_article=1[/url]
    [QUOTE][B]France to halt games when anthem is booed[/B]
    Any football match in France before which the country's national anthem is booed will now be "immediately stopped", French Sports Minister Roselyne Bachelot said Wednesday after meeting with President Nicolas Sarkozy.

The dramatic move followed the booing of "La Marseillaise" during France's 3-1 friendly win over Tunisia at the Stade de France in Paris on Tuesday.

"Any match when our national anthem is whistled will be stopped immediately," Bachelot said after talks with Sarkozy and French Football Federation president Jean-Pierre Escalettes.

"Government members will immediately leave the arena where our national anthem has been whistled.

"When whistling of our antional anthem happens, all friendly games with the country concerned will be suspended for a period yet to be determined by the federation president."

"The president has committed himself to seeing that measures are taken," said Escalettes, who said the authorities had to think of the security implications if such behaviour were allowed to pass.

He blamed "imbecilic" fans for forcing the crackdown which he said left both him and the players scandalised and hurt.

Sarkozy and fellow politicians reacted with shock and anger at the booing and whistling.

Bernard Laporte, the ministerial secretary of state for sport, told Radio Monte Carlo he would suggest that France no longer play friendlies against North African countries following similar problems in recent years against Algeria and Morocco - like Tunisia, once former colonies of France.

"Let's stop the hypocrisy - let's just stop doing these matches," said Laporte.

"We cannot tolerate our Marseillaise being jeered."

Many of the 60,000 crowd on Tuesday were Tunisian - friendlies against North African sides traditionally attract widespread support from sizeable immigrant communities in and around the French capital.

Some booed when the names of the French players were read out over the PA system before kickoff, reaching a crescendo for Hatem Ben Arfa, born in France to Tunisian parents and who opted to play for the country of his birth despite overtures from the Tunisian Federation.

French Prime Minister François Fillon said the booing was "insulting for France and for the French players" and that in the event of a repeat it would be necessary "to call off matches."

Jean-Marie Le Pen, leader of the French far-right National Front, said the jeering was proof of the failure of multiculturalism, insisting the "integration of foreign masses to our culture culture is a failure as it is a utopia".

Racism in football has regularly reared its head and earlier this week Spain's Atletico Madrid were handed a two-match Champions League stadium ban for alleged racist insults by its supporters against Marseille players.

But Le Pen charged that sporting authorities seeking to combat racism in stadiums were less interested when it came to "anti-French racism." [/QUOTE]
    God bless America