Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did the Jets change their name from the Titans?

Practice Squad

Why did the Jets change their name from the Titans?

I'm sure this has been covered at some point, but I just can't seem to find the reason. I know the NY Titans were in financial difficulties when they were bailed out by the Hess/Werblin group... but why the name change?

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post
    I'm sure this has been covered at some point, but I just can't seem to find the reason. I know the NY Titans were in financial difficulties when they were bailed out by the Hess/Werblin group... but why the name change?

Just curious.
    The Titans were a miserably failed organization. The Jets were a new team with a new owner in a new stadium. It's really not the Titans at all. This making our "throwback" jersey even more ridiculous.

All Pro

Just curious.
    Because it was ghey.

Veteran
    Because calling yourself the Titans in a town with the Giants already there is too "me, too".

It was kinda dumb to use a name that's another word for giant.

Veteran

I was there....

I went to the first Titan game in the Polo Grounds. I have been a season ticket holder since 1964. The name change coincided with the move to Shea, and was to shed the old image.....Factoid.... Slingin' Sammy Baugh was the Titan Head Coach- Wicki his name to see who he was. Additionally that is when the Jets took on the Green and white and shed the blue/gold. Factoid.... Al Dorrow to Art Powell (look these guys up too.) See how many NY Titan's names you can find who actually played for the JETS?????

Quote Originally Posted by jetliner View Post
    I went to the first Titan game in the Polo Grounds. I have been a season ticket holder since 1964. The name change coincided with the move to Shea, and was to shed the old image.....Factoid.... Slingin' Sammy Baugh was the Titan Head Coach- Wicki his name to see who he was. Additionally that is when the Jets took on the Green and white and shed the blue/gold. Factoid.... Al Dorrow to Art Powell (look these guys up too.) See how many NY Titan's names you can find who actually played for the JETS?????

Actually, the team played in the Polo Grounds as the Jets in 1963.

http://www.theganggreen.com/history/chronology/1963/

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    The Titans were a miserably failed organization. The Jets were a new team with a new owner in a new stadium. It's really not the Titans at all. This making our "throwback" jersey even more ridiculous.
    So then it was strictly a matter of disassociating themselves from what had been a bad organization. hmmm...

I'm obviously biased, but the Titans isn't a bad team moniker (especially when you think of all the horrid possibilities I was faced with when the Oilers moved to Tennessee... The Tennessee Banjos???). I always thought it was cool that Bud Adams went back to his AFL roots when choosing to rename the Oilers.

I was thinking there must be some sort of legal or marketing reason for the change... did a new Airport just open in NY?... was Werblin or Hess associated with the air travel industry?

Anyways, thanks for the info.

Practice Squad
    A "Titan" is bigger than a Giant. The Titans in Greek mythology were the predecessors of Zeus and his crew.

The New York Titans changed their name with new ownership and a team that was going to play their games in Shea right next to Laguardia Airport. A Jet which is fast and sleek only made sense. It also had the "ets" as did the Mets.

All Pro
    i also read it was due to sound fresh and new since it was the Jet age era. Also i think moving across the street from the airport made sound better.

All Pro
    Based on the terrible on-field perfomance of the Titans, they probably elected to change the name so that people wouldn't start shortening the name to "The New York Tit's".

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

"Jet-set" was a popular term/description that refered to a certain lifestyle and forward thinking in the early 1960s. Think JFK, Camelot, et al.

Werblin wanted a name that distanced himself from the Giants, and re-branded the team as novel and relevant. Hence, the New York Jets.

All League
    They played at Shea, with the jets from LaGuardia fly over every 5 mins.

After I put together a group and bought the Titans (the previous owner was a drunk and was in a ton of debt - so I got a steal), I wanted to change the teams image. After all, they were losers. I wanted something modern. So, we went with "Jets". It was modern and many of my well-to-do and celebrity friends considered themsleves "jet-setters". I thought it was a good name for a team from the greatest city in america. It had nothing to do with the airport near Shea stadium.

BTW, I picked green and white for the colors because green is my favorite color.

Veteran
    Its obvious,what people don't know is that the colors of kelly green and white
    came from Sonny Werblin 's St. Pattys day birthday , not Hess's color

Practice Squad
    Thank you for the replies... very interesting stuff. I love the history of the old AFL... it was a crazy league.

It worked out well for everyone involved... I was spared the embarassment of cheering for a team called the Tennessee Tuxedos and you guys got the now iconic name... THE NY J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

PS: please wipe that ass-eating grin off of Prince Phillip's face would ya

Banned
    A "titan" is the same thing as a "giant".

In 1963, "Jet" travel was cutting edge new technology and something incredibly fast and agile.

The fact that the stadium sat at the end of a runway and that "Mets" rhymed with "Jets" came into play as well.

SAR I

Banned
    The chant was too long.

All Pro
    Think they had to change the name because the Titans went bankrupt. Usually when a buiness goes under they have to start up again under another name.

Sunny, How much money did you make on your Super Bowl 3 BET? Heard you made a killing..lol
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 09-19-2008 at 11:07 AM.

All League
    Thank you for the replies... very interesting stuff. I love the history of the old AFL... it was a crazy league.

It worked out well for everyone involved... I was spared the embarassment of cheering for a team called the Tennessee Tuxedos and you guys got the now iconic name... THE NY J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

PS: please wipe that ass-eating grin off of Prince Phillip's face would ya
    That gota be the new ORly!