Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: That Was Amazing

Hall Of Fame

That Was Amazing

You guys might think I'm nuts, but the celebration tonight felt right up there with any World Series they have won in my lifetime.

The Jeter speech with the team around him, then the walk-around the field. Perfect. The funny thing is, this couldn't have happened if the Yanks had made the playoffs. The playoffs themselves would have taken away from what we just saw.

Well, if that's what it took to get that, I'll take it. One missed playoff in 13 years I can deal with, especially if that is how it is going to end. Yankee haters, suck it. Even you know one thing- this only could happen with this franchise.

Hall Of Fame
    Funny when Jeter said when we go across the street, he should of said well not all of us ::cough cough Giambi::

It was amazing, the picture of Mo, Posada, Jeter, and Pettite they took after the game was amazing, true winners.

Banned
    The greatest franchise in all of sports. Jeter is a Yankee God.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    You guys might think I'm nuts, but the celebration tonight felt right up there with any World Series they have won in my lifetime.

The Jeter speech with the team around him, then the walk-around the field. Perfect. The funny thing is, this couldn't have happened if the Yanks had made the playoffs. The playoffs themselves would have taken away from what we just saw.

Well, if that's what it took to get that, I'll take it. One missed playoff in 13 years I can deal with, especially if that is how it is going to end. Yankee haters, suck it. Even you know one thing- this only could happen with this franchise.

I agree -- what an unbelievable scene in the Bronx tonight. It was perfect in so many ways. And you're right, if we made the playoffs, it would never have happened this way.

All things happen for a reason, I suppose.

All League
    I actually enjoyed watching Jeter get the last at bat at the Stadium. Even if he wen't 0fer...

Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    I actually enjoyed watching Jeter get the last at bat at the Stadium. Even if he wen't 0fer...
    Well the last Yankee AB, but yeah, I noticed that too. And who had Jose Molina as the guy who hit the last HR at Yankee Stadium? Last hit I believe was Giambi... And, of course, the last pitch thrown was Mo. I just got back from the stadium and it was great.

All League
    I can't think of a better sendoff, besides winning it all at the Stadium one last time. So many memories just came rushing back and I'll tell you, when Bernie was announced it sent chills through me for a good 2 minutes. Seeing Whitey, Yogi, Reggie, Paulie, Bernie, and the families of all the Yankee greats out there on that field tonight was an experience I can't quite put into words, even if I only watched from my TV set. No other franchise in sports can top that, it really is a tradition of winning that spans generations, and it all occured in this cathedral in the Bronx.

They say all good things must come to an end, but the Stadium was more then just a good thing to me. All of things that make baseball our national pasttime were epitomized, for me, inside of those walls. So tonight, I say goodbye to the things that I can't really explain for you or for anyone. I'll just have to keep them alive in my mind. As sad as it may sound, a part of me died tonight. Farewell, Yankee Stadium. And as the marquee outside said tonight, thanks for the memories.

Rookie
    I just made it back home and all I have to say is that will probably go down as the biggest and best sports event that I will attend in my life. It was such an experience, just amazing. The history, the ceremony, the game and Jeter's speech at the end.....I guess I have something to tell the grandkids about when I am an old man.

All Pro
    I'm a Sox fan and I've never had anything but respect for Derek Jeter. Cliche, cliche, but he plays the game the way you wish everyone played it. A good guy and a great competitor. The best player the Yankees have ever had at SS (though not necessarily the best at fieldng).

Good luck in the new stadium. Just not too much luck .
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 09-22-2008 at 05:57 AM.

All Pro
    Even just watching all day from the TV, it was an awesome experience. Everything was great. The pre-game ceremonies, the game, and the post-game speech and lap around the field. Just an awesome experience. To me, it showed just how special of a player Jeter is and has been to this franchise.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    The greatest franchise in all of sports. Jeter is a Yankee God.
    no comment

JetsInsider.com Legend
    What can I say....it was very much a game 7 WS atmosphere right down to the horses on the field at the end. Kind of bitter-sweet considering how they tanked the season.

They do know how to put on a show and seeing those old faces, once again, and for the last time here, was a treat. Sadly, I don't think all of them will be around to greet the opening of the new stadium.

Bob Shephard, "The Voice of God", seemed too frail in the short tape they showed, and think Jim Hall, Bobs long time back-up and an eerie sound-alike will be the voice of the New Stadium (except for Jeters at bats)

Ronan Tynan's booming version of "God Bless America" was about as well received last night as the days immediately following 9/11....I think he has cemented himself into Yankee Stadium lore and by all accounts, he is a great guy, too.

It was also nice seeing the "light-hitting" Jose Molina have such a great night and Mo....... being Mo.

Crap, I'm tired.
    Last edited by 32green; 09-22-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I still can't get over last night. I wouldn't trade being a Yankee fan for any other sports experience available in the world.

Veteran
    Watching all day and listening to the radio all day all I can say is WOW...it was great to see all the moments, memories, old time yankees, new time yankees, it was just a great send off for THE STADIUM...

it was sad at times, yet still great nonetheless, Mariano and Derek epitomize what the Yankees represent and are about, I don't think Derek can ever do anything wrong, when he speaks it's perfect, and the speech was just another example..

going to my first game as 8 year old in 1987 to watch the Yankees take on Bo Jackscon and the royals and to see my hero Don Mattingly hit a home run and gw rbi double driving in Steve Sax, to being at countless other games (including the Jeffrey Maier game) I just can't get over the fact that I have such fond memories of the stadium...

Waking up this morning reading all the articles still brings chills...and this season will go down as a dissapointment, but everything happens for a reason...and this sendoff wouldn't of been what it was if it truly wasn't the final game..

Rookie
    i cant agree more. What a night, what a game, what a stadium. Now its time to start making history in the new stadium

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Ronan Tynan's booming version of "God Bless America" was about as well received last night as the days immediately following 9/11....I think he has cemented himself into Yankee Stadium lore and by all accounts, he is a great guy, too.
    This has always been one of my favorite parts of the Yankee Stadium experience. He was as good as he's ever been last night. Really gave me goosebumps.

Hall Of Fame
    One thing not showed on TV: who pulled the lever in the 5th inning? Anyone who was there, can you tell us?
    Last edited by JetPotato; 09-22-2008 at 02:16 PM.

All League
    One pic that was awsome was when they had the 3 pitchers with the perfect games and their catchers standing with them , all 6.

Larsen, Yogi, Cone, Gerrardi, Wells, Posada

And I miss Bernie man!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Petitte, Giambi, Knoblach...Hey...where was Roger?

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Petitte, Giambi, Knoblach...Hey...where was Roger?

Knoblauch wasn't there. I was looking for him on TV.