Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Joe Biden 'Walks Back' Remarks Calling Anti-McCain Computer Ad 'Terrible'

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe Biden 'Walks Back' Remarks Calling Anti-McCain Computer Ad 'Terrible'

New York Times Blog
    September 23, 2008, 8:10 am
    Biden Walks Back Remarks on Ad
    By Patrick Healy

CHICAGO – Democratic vice-presidential nominee Joseph R. Biden Jr. was on the defensive Monday night, issuing a statement of clarification after saying that he thought an Obama campaign ad tweaking Senator John McCain’s computer skills was “terrible.”

In an interview with CBS that was broadcast on Monday evening, Mr. Biden, a long-time Delaware senator who often refers to his friendship with Senator John McCain, the Republican presidential nominee, was asked about the ad, which highlighted Mr. McCain’s admission that he was not especially proficient at using a computer.

[B]“I thought that was terrible by the way,” Mr. Biden said of the commercial. “I didn’t know we did it. I’d had anything to do with it, we’d have never done it. And I don’t think Barack, you know, I mean, I just think – I don’t think there was anything intentional about that.”[/B]

The McCain campaign quickly issued a statement using Mr. Biden’s statement against Senator Barack Obama of Illinois, the Democratic nominee.

“Barack Obama has brought the sleazy gutter politics of Chicago to our ational stage, exposing his call for a ‘new politics’ as a lie and embarrassing even his own running mate with the low road campaign he’s running,” said a McCain spokesman, Brian Rogers.

By coincidence, the McCain campaign earlier on Monday had released an ad, titled “Chicago,” that depicted Mr. Obama as an heir to the legacy of combative politics that is part of Chicago lore.

Soon after the McCain camp hit the Obama-Biden ticket, [B]the Obama campaign issued its own statement in Mr. Biden’s name.

“I was asked about an ad I’d never seen, reacting merely to press reports. As I said right then, I knew there was nothing intentionally personal in the criticism of Senator McCain’s views which look backwards not forwards and are out of touch with the new economic challenges we face today,” Mr. Biden said.

“Having now reviewed the ad, it is even more clear to me that given the disgraceful tenor of Senator McCain’s ads and their persistent falsehoods, his campaign is in no position to criticize, especially when they continue to distort
    Barack’s votes on an issue as personal as keeping kids safe from sexual predators,” Mr. Biden added.[/B]

He was referring to a McCain campaign ad that distorted Mr. Obama’s position on sexual education; that ad asserted that Mr. Obama favored sex education for little children, based on his support for a comprehensive sex education
    bill as an Illinois legislator. As for kindergarten students, the bill was intended to teach them about sexual predators, and parents of children of all ages would have been allowed to withdraw their children from the classes.

[url]http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/23/biden-walks-back-remarks-on-ad/?scp=1&sq=terrible&st=cse[/url]

:jets18

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What we have here, JETS fans, is the beginning of the separation of Joe Biden from Barack Obama.

Biden speaks his mind regarding Obama's lack of experience, the fact that Hillary Clinton may have been a better VP choice for Obama, and now an ad that backfired on Obama. It backfired on Obama because John McCain has war (torture) wounds that prevent him from freely using his fingers. If you ever see McCain on a stage clapping his hands, you can see that he has a problem with his fingers.

Did Obama know this before the ad went out? Didn't Obama also verbally criticize McCain for not being computer literate?

Biden couldn't actually retract his criticism of the ad himself. The Obama campaign actually issued a statement, kind of KGB-secret police style, too.

Finally, if you listen to the last sentence of Biden's statement, "And I don’t think Barack, you know, I mean, I just think – I don’t think there was anything intentional about that.” This kind of sounds like perhaps Barack Obama knew exactly what he was doing, but Biden just didn't want to say it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Biden is such a political liability. Anyone who thinks Obama is for change must consider that he picked an old establishment politician who just isn't very bright.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    joe biden reminds me of that guy that ran with perot..whats was his name?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, this may present a big opportunity for McCain.

Both politically and personally, Obama and Biden are two left feet (metaphor).

Biden complimenting McCain on Meet-The-Press, etc, coupled with Biden saying at least three (3) times that Obama isn't prepared to be President of The USA makes for good advertising for McCain. These instances occurred before Obama selected Biden to be his VP running mate.

Since Obama selected Biden to be his VP running mate, Biden has said that Hillary Clinton may have been a better VP selection for Obama and now this 'terrible' comment regarding the John McCain computer ad.

The McCain campaign might just want to try to separate Joe Biden from Barack Obama. Obama-Biden certainly look ripe for it!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2768883]Actually, this may present a big opportunity for McCain.

Both politically and personally, Obama and Biden are two left feet (metaphor).

Biden complimenting McCain on Meet-The-Press, etc, coupled with Biden saying at least three (3) times that Obama isn't prepared to be President of The USA makes for good advertising for McCain. These instances occurred before Obama selected Biden to be his VP running mate.

Since Obama selected Biden to be his VP running mate, Biden has said that Hillary Clinton may have been a better VP selection for Obama and now this 'terrible' comment regarding the John McCain computer ad.

The McCain campaign might just want to try to separate Joe Biden from Barack Obama. Obama-Biden certainly look ripe for it!

:jets18[/QUOTE]james stockdale...thats it.phil hartman was so good doing him...joe biden=james stockdale.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The empty suit picks senator footinmouth. Says alot about hussein obama's judgement, don't you think?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2768868]joe biden reminds me of that guy that ran with perot..whats was his name?[/QUOTE]

I had always found it very deplorable the way James Stockdale was treated. This guy was a war hero...a real war hero....

[QUOTE]Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale (December 23, 1923–July 5, 2005) was one of the most highly decorated officers in the history of the United States Navy. Stockdale led aerial attacks from the carrier USS Ticonderoga (CVA 14) during the 1964 Gulf of Tonkin Incident. On his next deployment, while Commander of Carrier Air Wing 16 aboard the carrier USS Oriskany (CVA 34), he was shot down over enemy territory on 9 September 1965. Stockdale was the highest ranking naval officer held as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. He was awarded 26 personal combat decorations, including the Medal of Honor and four Silver Stars. During the late 1970s, he served as President of the Naval War College. Stockdale is also remembered as a candidate for vice president in the 1992 election, on Ross Perot's independent ticket.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It [I]was [/I]a lousy ad, just not very well done. Give Biden credit for giving an honest opinion. Better than Palin robotically parroting the lines she's been given over and over.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Bidens disagreement with the ad is real and could be turned into a positive if Obama plays his cards right. Nothing says that a Presedent and VP have to agree on every single Issue. After all, Biden does not seem like the puppet type to me.

He said something he believed in and Im sure Obama can respect that as can the American people. Im sure there are plenty of disagreements within administrations and just giving in to the President because hes the President not only hurts him but it hurts the American people as well.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2768864]Biden is such a political liability. Anyone who thinks Obama is for change must consider that he picked an old establishment politician who just isn't very bright.[/QUOTE]

You're bashing Biden for taking the high road in this case?

I give him a lot of credit for coming out and renouncing the ad.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2769471]I think Bidens disagreement with the ad is real and could be turned into a positive if Obama plays his cards right.[/QUOTE]

Nope!

McCain will be sure to take advantage of this. It's not just this ad. It's everything!

Obama and Biden are simply too dissimilar to help each other. The political 'Odd Couple'.

Last edited by AlbanyJet; 09-24-2008 at 07:28 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2769493]You're bashing Biden for taking the high road in this case?

I give him a lot of credit for coming out and renouncing the ad.[/QUOTE]

Nah, just taking a shot in general. I don't think this helps Obama, though. I wouldn't have picked a guy who has a history of saying dumb things to the media.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2768989]It [I]was [/I]a lousy ad, just not very well done. Give Biden credit for giving an honest opinion. Better than Palin robotically parroting the lines she's been given over and over.[/QUOTE]

which opinion on the ad is biden suppose to receive credit for??

his original opinion or his retraction???

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2769625]which opinion on the ad is biden suppose to receive credit for?? his original opinion or his retraction???[/QUOTE]

You NAILED it!