Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Mussina - 19-9

Banned

Mike Mussina - 19-9

Moose is schedule to go up against the Red Sox's Tim Wakefield the last game of the season. How amazing would it be for the guy to finally get 20 wins? and how much would it suck for him to be stuck on 19 wins for the 3rd time.

Hall Of Fame
    Great year from Moose. Would be crazy if he won 20 then retired.

Veteran
    The Yanks should put him in, in relief with the lead after 4 2/3. Let him get the 1 out and the win. After the year he had he deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan View Post
    The Yanks should put him in, in relief with the lead after 4 2/3. Let him get the 1 out and the win. After the year he had he deserves it.
    Yeah but that kind of cheapens it, especially when he does have 1 start left to do this against a Red Sox team that will most likely be resting starters and definitely won't be starting it's top 3 starters.

All Pro
    Great year from Moose whether he gets 20 or not. One of the best comebacks in the league this year. I'm liking how his bid for 20 is going right down to the very end. Gives us Yankee fans a little something to get excited about.

Hall Of Fame
    Wins are a dumb statistic.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound View Post
    Unfortunately, it's the only statistic that counts in the standings.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Unfortunately, it's the only statistic that counts in the standings.
    Wins are a dumb statistic FOR STARTING PITCHERS.

All Pro
    They aren't dumb, but there are definitely more telling stats of a pitcher's performance like ERA.

Hall Of Fame
    that's better

But what does that have to do with anything, really? Dumb or not, 20 wins is a milestone widely recognized. You certainly don't win 20 games in a season if you sucked that year.

They are, but there's something about 20 in this day and age that is special.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Yeah but that kind of cheapens it, especially when he does have 1 start left to do this against a Red Sox team that will most likely be resting starters and definitely won't be starting it's top 3 starters.
    I agree, but so what? There are enough cheap wins around baseball. How about blowing a save and still getting the win?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan View Post
    I agree, but so what? There are enough cheap wins around baseball. How about blowing a save and still getting the win?
    I see your point, but that's different. Nobody cares about W/L for relief pitchers for the most part. It's a different story when your talking about starting pitchers. Not only would the fans view it as a "cheap win" if he was to pick up his 20th win in that fashion, but I bet Moose wouldn't even want to get to 20 that way.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I see your point, but that's different. Nobody cares about W/L for relief pitchers for the most part. It's a different story when your talking about starting pitchers. Not only would the fans view it as a "cheap win" if he was to pick up his 20th win in that fashion, but I bet Moose wouldn't even want to get to 20 that way.
    You are probably right

Hall Of Fame
    that's better

But what does that have to do with anything, really? Dumb or not, 20 wins is a milestone widely recognized. You certainly don't win 20 games in a season if you sucked that year.
    Better? I shouldn't have had to clarify it, anyway. Wins in the standings? Come on.

It has to do with, wins don't mean much for pitchers, so I don't care how much anyone has.

All Pro
    I disagree that wins for a SP is a dumb statistic. It's not the end-all, but it's still a useful gauge.

I was thinking about stats that'd be interesting, does any site do a stat of ERA with a 1 run lead, ERA with a 2 run lead... I think it'd be interesting to see who pitches well in a close game.

Hall Of Fame
    Better? I shouldn't have had to clarify it, anyway. Wins in the standings? Come on.

It has to do with, wins don't mean much for pitchers, so I don't care how much anyone has.
    So there's NO correlation between a pitcher's effectiveness and his win total? Really?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Randy Johnson got his #20 doing just that in Seattle.

I don't think wins are over rated at all. Some pitchers pitch just well enough to win. Some pitch just well enough to lose. Some guys get 3 and give up 4 Get 1 and give up 2. Get 6, give up 7. Some do the opposite. Some pitchers give their team confidence, a swagger, and they focus more and hit better.

The only thing with wins is so few pitchers go 8 or 9, so they lose wins to the pen. A good stat is the teams win loss when that pitcher starts.

Hall Of Fame
    So there's NO correlation between a pitcher's effectiveness and his win total? Really?
    I never said no correlation. Are you just looking for an argument?

Hall Of Fame
    I never said no correlation. Are you just looking for an argument?
    I need something. The Yankees are over and the Jets aren't looking so hot either.